View Full Version : The Angel of the Battlefield

thedrifter
03-02-05, 07:19 AM
Sent to me by Mark (Fontman)

The Angel of the Battlefield

DefenseWatch "The Voice of the Grunt"
03-01-2005
by Matthew Dodd

The Bible's Gospel according to John has given the world a definition of the ultimate love between friends: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

The Marine Corps is a tradition-rich warrior culture. The Marine Corps proudly calls itself a "Band of Brothers." As a career Marine officer, I can tell you firsthand that that spirit is alive and well. We Marines also believe that Marines do not abandon their fellow Marines. As a Marine, you instinctively know that you are never alone - you will not be left behind, and you do not leave others behind. Marines are also acutely aware of their duty to preserve the warrior legacy handed down to them.

Let me share with you a story about a very special Marine whose actions bring to life the words and beliefs presented above.

On Jan. 23, 2005, at a short ceremony in front of friends, family, fellow Marines, and his civilian boss - the Orange County Sheriff - in the courtyard at the Marine Corps Reserve Center at Encino, Calif., Sgt. Scott C. Montoya, USMCR, received the Navy Cross from the Commander, Marine Forces Reserve, LtGen. Dennis McCarthy, the Corps' senior three-star general. The Navy Cross is the service's second highest award for extraordinary heroism while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States. The citation read:

"For extraordinary heroism while serving as a Scout Sniper, Scout Sniper Platoon, 2nd Battalion, 23d Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force in Support of Operation Iraqi Freedom on 8 April 2003."

For those readers unfamiliar with Marine scout-snipers, let me share an excerpt from my May 10, 2004 article about another scout-sniper issue to help you understand them:

"A sniper team consists of four men, each of whom carries a sniper rifle, an M-16 and a pistol, as well as extra ammo and a host of other equipment. They set up sniper nests from which they track suspected enemy fighters with special long-range scopes, thermal imaging devices and computerized equipment. If the team agrees a person has 'hostile intent' - such as carrying a weapon or rocket-propelled grenade - a designated sharpshooter cuts him down with a special bolt-action rifle, killing him with a single shot up to 1,000 yards away …. "

"I have deep respect for Marine Corps snipers. They are a special breed of warrior, and a tremendous force-multiplier on any battlefield."

Sgt. Montoya is one of those warrior force-multipliers. Scout-snipers are often hand-picked by their leaders for their bearing, character, tactical abilities, marksmanship skills and leadership potential to compete for the very limited and very prestigious openings in their infantry battalion's scout-sniper platoon. Once selected, these Marines receive intensive training to learn how to stealthfully stalk their targets, select their positions, and engage their targets in accordance to their (un)official motto: "One shot, one kill."

Sgt. Montoya's citation continues:

"During the battle for Baghdad, Sergeant Montoya's sniper team arrived within Company F's position as they came under heavy small-arms fire from a determined enemy force. He immediately encouraged Marines to deploy and return fire. Noticing a disabled civilian vehicle on the road in the line of fire and with complete disregard for his own life, he rushed forward amidst a hail of gunfire and dragged a wounded Iraqi civilian to safety."

What the citation did not mention was that as the heavy enemy small-arms fire started, an enemy vehicle came crashing into a nearby civilian marketplace. Fearing the insurgent driver had explosives, Sgt. Montoya quickly took action and killed him at point-blank range. Sgt. Montoya's concern for the welfare of those around him and his instinct for decisive action combined for the first time to produce truly heroic results. But Sgt. Montoya was just warming up, for he had many more heroics before that day was through.

What makes a man risk his life for others, especially strangers? I am no scholar of psychology, but I believe it has a lot to do with a man's character, his sense of common decency, and a complete sense of selflessness in the service of others, especially those in danger.

Sgt. Montoya knew what was happening all around him. He certainly did not have to go to the civilian vehicle. Nobody would have faulted him for deciding to seek cover until the enemy fire subsided. Something inside of him propelled him forward to do what needed to be done. The late legendary actor John Wayne once said, "Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." Sgt. Montoya courageously saddled up and saved a man's life. But, Sgt. Montoya was not finished, as his citation explains:

"Returning to the front, he spotted a wounded Marine struggling to get off the same fire-swept street, he risked his life to lead the Marine to safety."

This time, a wounded Marine was in trouble and needed help. Again, the results were the same: Sgt. Montoya courageously saddled up and saved a man's life. Some accounts say Sgt. Montoya was wearing 80 pounds of gear and fireman-carried his wounded Marine 500 yards to safety. Again, Sgt. Montoya was not finished as his citation continues:

"Returning to the front, he spotted a wounded Marine lying in the street. Ignoring the hailstorm of bullets, Sergeant Montoya rushed into the street for a third time to carry the injured Marine to safety."

This time, another Marine was down and completely helpless. Once again, Sgt. Montoya did what needed to be done, and he saved a third man's life. And once again, Sgt. Montoya's heroic story was not through yet:

"Sergeant Montoya returned a fourth time to evacuate an unconscious Marine."

At this point the first time I read this citation, I literally got goose-bumps on my body and shook my head. I just could not believe what I was reading. Truth is stranger than fiction, for I do not think anyone would ever make up such an incredible tale. When I read further down the citation, the truth got even more incredible:

"Returning to the front again, he dashed into the contested street and assisted a Marine to safety who had been dazed by an explosion. Sergeant Montoya ensured medical attention was administered and verified that evacuations were ongoing."

Yes, Sgt. Montoya stared down fear and death for a fifth time, and came away with his fifth saved life of the day. This carefully screened and trained, stealthy, impersonal taker of lives from a distance had been transformed into an up-close-and-personal battlefield angel of mercy, a protector of lives at the repeated risk of his own life.

Sgt. Montoya's citation finishes:

"By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, Sergeant Montoya reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

I honestly feel sorry for the Marine who had to write Sgt. Montoya's citation. While I am sure it was a great honor to be personally involved with the recognition of this most-deserving Marine hero, how can someone else's words measure up and do justice to the deeds of someone who repeatedly did the unbelievable to save the lives of five people?

"Decisive leadership," "unlimited courage," and "utmost devotion to duty" have now taken on new meanings to me and their thresholds for use have been raised on account of one Marine's heroics in one battle on one day.

Sgt. Scott C. Montoya, USMCR, the Marine Corps' newest Navy Cross hero from the battlefields of Iraq, epitomizes the greatest love of the New Testament, the selfless sacrifice of the Marine Corps' "Band of Brothers," and the preservation of the Corps' warrior legacy. When asked about what receiving the Navy Cross meant to him, Sgt. Montoya humbly explained:

"There's something special about being awarded this by your peers, because it means they believe in you …. But what I did was an action of love. This award is for all the Marines that came before me and those that will come after me."

Semper Fidelis, Sgt. Montoya!

Ellie