PDA

View Full Version : Marine towers above recruit training challenges at age 30

thedrifter
03-02-05, 07:12 AM
Marine towers above recruit training challenges at age 30
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification #: 20052281239
Story by Lance Cpl. Darhonda V. Hall

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (Feb. 25, 2005) -- Pfc. Michael Connor, a 6-foot-8-inch, 30-year-old Marine, was determined to take on the physical and mental challenges of recruit training in order to earn the title Marine, even if that meant he would have to go through recruit training two times.

On Nov. 22, 2004, Connor was sent to Parris Island to complete recruit training and become a Marine, but not for the first time. Connor was sent to recruit training in 2002, but was sent home about half way through training for an injury that altered his ability to train.

Once aboard Parris Island for the second time, Conner jumped off the bus and hopped onto the infamous yellow footprints only to hear orders being yelled to him again and the rest of the new recruits.

Towering over a busload of potential Marines, Connor was used to shorter people being intimidated by his presence.

His height however, did not matter to the drill instructors, they did not care if the Boston native was over a foot taller than most of the drill instructors.

"[At home] some people were scared to even talk to me because of my height," Connor explained.

Connor said the drill instructors were never intimidated by his height.

Eager to become a Marine, a second chance was what Connor hoped for.

"I know it doesn't make any sense," Connor laughed, "but G.I. Joe dolls are what made me want to become a Marine."

Although the new Marine had other career alternatives, he refused to skip a step in the life he planned out for himself.

Connor played power forward during basketball season in high school and was selected to be a McDonalds' All-American basketball player in his senior year.

His athletic talent earned him a basketball scholarship to Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. He earned his associate's degree in management there and then transferred to Northeastern University in Boston, where he earned his bachelor's degree in e-commerce.
With a college education, athletic talent and life experience, Connor still chose the enlisted route into the Marine Corps.

"I looked at my life and thought, I don't have a mortgage or kids and I'm not married; and I saw nothing was holding me back, so I signed the papers to become a Marine ... again," he said.

Besides his towering height, the new Marine stuck out like a sore thumb in the platoon of recruits. His maturity level made him a natural leader among the younger crowd.

"The Marine Corps has a way of maturing its younger recruits," Connor observed. "The younger [Marines] have a harder time because they do not understand that being a Marine is not just a title, but a career also. The drill instructors are not just being hard on us because they can, but they are training us for our new careers."

Connor, however, said that if he could, he would go back in time and complete recruit training when he was 18.

"I was very immature when I was eighteen," Connor said. "If I could have had the discipline instilled in me at a younger age, I would have known then, what I know now."
Connor's senior drill instructor, Staff Sgt. Joe Wilborn, also joined the Marine Corps in his later years. However, the drill instructor had served four years in the Army.

"[Connor] has a lot of potential," Wilborn said. "His decision to join the Marine Corps at his age says much about his character. He is only going to get better as he progresses."

Wilborn said Connor portrays the characteristics of a true leader.

Connor's unique ambitions for life include his military occupational specialty of logistics - a job field which strikes resemblance with his prior civilian job. Connor held the position of an executive of replenishment for Target and wants to continue his career as a corporate leader.

"As a corporate leader," Connor said, "the discipline that was instilled in me during boot camp will help me attain the goals I have set for myself."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200522812535/$file/tall(L).jpg

Private First Class Michael Connor, who measures in at 6 feet 8 inches tall, stands next to Pvt. Justain Pierce, who graduated with him on Feb. 11. Conner, who is 30 years old, also holds two degrees, but always dreamed of being an enlisted Marine.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Darhonda V. Hall

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie