PDA

View Full Version : Alert for Medal Inflation

thedrifter
03-01-05, 08:55 AM
02-19-2005

SFTT on Alert for Medal Inflation

To: Disgusted Devil Dog

Many thanks for this inside look at the true functioning of REMFs. There’s a difference between those who serve in the rear, and those who are there to be close to the flagpole and out of harm’s way.

Sounds like a boatload of REMFs see their chance – I sure

appreciate your head’s up on this one.

Hack is taking some time off, but I’ll take care of seeing to it that a little daylight shines on these “shadow operators.”

Pls keep SFTT & DefenseWatch posted.

http://www.sftt.org/JPG/article02192005b.jpg

However, one Marine source close to the III MEF headquarters reveals that medals for participating in the relief operation will also be going to headquarters staff members such as the unit’s band. (USMC photo montage).

Ellie

thedrifter
03-01-05, 08:55 AM
02-19-2005

III MEF Staff Goes for the Gold

Col. Hackworth:

I’m a Marine officer who has a real issue with staff weenies and medal inflation. Having said that, I’ve received word that III Marine Expeditionary Force has brought a Yeoman 1st Class (YN1) down to Okinawa from Yokota on mainland Japan to “assist with writing 500 personal awards for members of III MEF who went to Tsunami relief.”

Now here’s what I’ve been told by everybody I’ve talked to. Most of the people who went were staff officers who just went so they could “stay competitive” with their peers who are doing real jobs in Iraq and Afghanistan (i.e., now they can get awards from doing a “real world operation” to pump up their fitness reports).

Another good example of a Perfumed Prince mentality is the III MEF band. They didn’t go to help unload supplies or directly assist survivors. Rather, they went to play their instruments during lunchtime at the hotel where the JTF/MEF staffs were staying (my source is gold – a Marine who was working there).

Meanwhile, my Marines were trying to get needed gear in-theater, but couldn’t because there wasn’t enough lift.

Anyway, sir, like I said before, ill-gotten/barely earned awards really **** me off and I thought you should know that all the medal inflation stuff written about at SFTT.org isn’t limited to the Army.

--Disgusted Devil Dog

Ellie

bobpage
03-01-05, 07:14 PM
And this surprises us HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!