PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal-how does a person forget

jo1753
02-25-05, 12:02 PM
Just moments ago while reading another thread............ that made me think of things that i've spent most of my adult life trying to forget.

I've harbored alot of resentments for quite a few people from the protesting long hair druggies......to the north-bound draft dodgers to our politicaian who decided in all their wisdom to stop funding the war effort in Vietnam...!!!

Oh God help me for this next part.............I had and in some ways still have.......a real hard time when it comes to the troops that served especially during the golf war...!!!

I don't know if it's a masive case of jealousy on my part or not.
I know..........to this very day if I hear the name Jimmy Carter. I can feel my skin crawl...!!!

If I see a man or woman in uniform.......i'm not disrespectful. I just almost instantly.........think back to when I came home.. I know two wrongs don't make a right...

Thru the yrs.......I decided to wear my hair long.........and usually don't even mention to most people I ever served in ANY branch of the military,unless asked directly.

I have a son who's now serving.....when he went in I didn't try to encourage or discourage his decision.

I have all my medals and any pic's packed in a box somewhere.
The other day while reading on this forum about the politicians wanting to raise the price of the co-pays for Vets. I asked myself. These kids are going to get screwed just like we did. By good ole uncle sam....!!!

And yet...........they say they need these kids..............Go figure.
It's beyond me... crap like that really should make 10% more people want to join up..LOL

It took me about 6 mo's to figure out if I wanted to be a part of this forum.............I'm glad I did.

It's taken me over 30 yrs to be the way I am............how can I change this...........Some of this stuff is automatic to me.
Does anyone else have thoughts similiar to mine...?

Semper-Fi

Namvet67
02-25-05, 12:27 PM
If you are like most Nam vets, you came home and tried to disappear into the civilian world. You didn't talk about Nam or even the Marine Corps. All you wanted to do was forget about it and try and recover the years you lost while serving in the Marines. You were looked down on for your service in Nam and you were respected by nobody. Now that time has passed and its "ok" to be a Marine, you found a way to talk about the things you needed to talk about for a long time. Forget...never will! Talking about it now will help put some closure and meaning to a very dark time in your life. The Marine web sites are here for that purpose but you can't let them dominate your life. You just got to manage it and move on with your life. Welcome and Semper Fi!

jinelson
02-25-05, 03:01 PM
Dang gbudd very well said I tried to come up with the right words but couldnt. I hope they help jo come out and join us. We all had the same bad nightmare but it is over, time has cleansed the the water and we have to move on. We have a brighter more understanding world today in our country.

Welcome Home
Semper Fi
Jim

kentmitchell
02-25-05, 06:45 PM
Forget? Maybe.
Forgive? Hell no.

barryjh
02-25-05, 07:07 PM
semper fi--you are not the only one brother

MillRatUSMC
02-25-05, 11:46 PM
You never "forget", as much as you try. it has a way of coming back.
It comes back. when you least expect it, a loud sound, a certain smell, and a certain face.
Will we ever "forgive" indifferent, hostlity and apathy?
Each of us will have to deal with his own feelings on forgiveness.
As we can't be "happy" everyday of our life's, neither can we habor feelings that see no "Forgiveness".
In my part, I try to live my life, the way some who were killed in Vietnam, might have wanted me to live.
To "forgive" is to grow beyond hatred.
Still these are my thoughts and I take responsibilty for those thoughts.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo