PDA

View Full Version : Independent SNCO investigations

yellowwing
02-25-05, 10:11 AM
Independent SNCO Investigations. Twice in MCAS El Toro I damaged Gov't vehicles.

The first time I was our Unit Mail driver for the week. I picked up our correspondance from HQBN. Upon backing out, the front end scraped up a Volvo. Smashed the Volvo tail light assemby and pulled the GOV bumper out a bit. To make matters worse it was the COs wife's POV. :(

The second time was on mess duty. I dinged a garbage dumpster while backing into the loading dock. The dumpster just got some paint chipped off, but the panel van's front quarter panel was dented in about 2 inches.

Each incident was investigated by SNCOs, that had nothing to do with the Provost Marshall's Office. The were SSgts from some other unit that stopped by the barracks or at work a few times, to ask me basically the same questions.

I told both of them the same things on each accident, "I f*cked up, and wasn't watching every mirror or frontage while driving a Government vehicle."

But I found it odd that the investigations were tasked to a random SSgt and not a PMO Accident Investigator.

Have any of you SNCOs have to do this? And most of all why wasn't PMO not doing it?

jinelson
02-25-05, 10:40 AM
Excellent question wing. Gee I can only wonder if I may have been the SNCO that came a calling on yah. I was tasked with those duties at MCAS El Toro, I never questioned the orders since I was a motor transport operations chief / truckmaster and had all the qualifications to conduct such investigations. But you do pose a very valid thought why wasent someone from PMO involved? I received the investigation orders from MAG-13, MABS-13, S-4 and returned the completed investigation findings back to them. Now ya got me wondering too.

CO's wifes POV - ROTFLMAO thats too funny.

yellowwing
02-25-05, 11:01 AM
Yes, I got pretty freakin' nervous when I found out whose tail light I busted up! It was 1984ish.

Before the fender bender I was really excited that I was near to breaking the time record for our mail route. That's where my head space was, not on situational awareness.

The record holder while I was there was a WM from Texas.

The first SSgt was very direct and no-nonsense stern.

The second time, the SSgt seemed more not exactly nervous but odd. It felt like it was his first investigation and he was excited to do a perfect job, and to cover every conceivable circumstance. But he asked every question in the manner of giving me the benefit of the doubt.

CAR
02-27-05, 12:19 AM
Just a guess but, could it be that a PMO has enough to do and since this is just minor property damage a SNCO would be seen as a responsible officer to sign off on a report??? I dunno?

A. Schwartz
02-27-05, 08:13 AM
As a MSgt I was assigned several JAG investigations while at Marine Barracks, Pearl Harbor. One reason was a shortage of Officers and the other is that the Commanding Officer has the authority to assign such investigations to any officer or SNCO ln the Command. Its also the CO's perogative to enlist the aid of PMO or keep the investigation in house

yellowwing
02-27-05, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the Scoop, MSgt!

It was just one of those 21 year old mysteries that bugged me now and then.

Semper Fi!