PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp is where it begins

marinemom
02-24-05, 03:37 AM
Boot camp is where it begins
February 24,2005
CYNDI BROWN, Jacksonville Daily News

PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. - It took Adam S. Adam five years to have even the opportunity to become a Marine.

"All I've ever wanted to do is be in the military," said Adam, 22, of Jacksonville. "It frustrated me to no extent. Kids take for granted getting in."

But an eye injury, the result of a childhood BB gun accident, required half a decade of pursuing medical waivers before he was granted the one that allowed him to enlist.

And at a graduation ceremony held at Parris Island on a frigid January morning, Adam saw the result of his determination.

He was finally a Marine.

Receiving 'Yes sir! No sir!'

Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., which opened its gates to men in 1915 and women in 1949, trains all male recruits who enlist in the Marine Corps east of the Mississippi River and all female recruits.

Receiving is the recruit's introduction to the Marine Corps - and to the drill instructors. For many, it will be a blur.

"Recruits don't walk anywhere; they'll be running tonight," said Staff Sgt. Patrick Wiley.

They'll learn, and learn quickly, it's "Yes, sir!" or "No, sir!" Yeahs and nos belong to the world outside the gates.

Inside, on that first day, they're facing the haircut, paperwork, a medical screening, strength test, gear issue and a scripted phone call home.

"This is Recruit … I've arrived safely at Parris Island," the message begins. "Don't send bulky items … Don't send food … Goodbye for now."

The process seems endless - most recruits will be up about 36 straight hours before being allowed to sleep.

"It's good preparation for the Crucible," Wiley said.

Day 2 'You disgusting pigs'

On day two, they're reminded that they are still "filthy, disgusting civilians."

"Drop, drop you disgusting pigs," a DI screeches at the startled recruits.

The sun hasn't even risen on the females in P Company, but they're already sweating through a back-breaking series of jumping jacks, crunches and lunges.

"All the way down, one, two, three. Or we'll start all over, one, two, three. I can't hear you, one, two, three. You're not done, one, two, three. …"

While Marine Corps rules state it's strictly "hands off," recruits are seen being jerked sharply into the next position if they're not moving fast enough. It's doubtful they even noticed. And for every "disgusting pig" there's a "good job. Keep it up."

It's knowing what to say and when to say it.

Day 6 Pulling them in

1st Lt. Tim Wright is watching recruits on training day 6. At that stage of boot camp, Wright said the recruits should know the basic routines, start settling in and getting used to physical exertion.

"I expect them to start conforming to Marine Corps standards, take orders and react," Wright said. "They don't understand why, they just know they're being told to do it."

That immediate obedience would come into play on the battlefield - in a combat situation, Wright explained, Marines have to follow orders unquestioningly. The journey from receiving to a war zone could take less than six months.

"At two weeks, they're starting to get it," said Wright, who has lost six recruits to fraudulent enlistment. Others will drop along the way - nearly 7 percent of the male and 17 percent of the female recruits will never wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Wright has seen them leave boot camp as far along in the process as day 65.

He pointed out an "apathetic" one who sat "guarding" the weapons, a task usually left to those ill or injured - Wright thought he would be the next to go, but it was still too early to be sure.

"Even the apathetic ones … typically a good senior drill instructor can pull them in," said Wright. "Right now, they're struggling mentally."

The hardest thing to overcome is ego. The first thing the DIs have to accomplish is to tear down the recruit. The rebuilding, the making of a Marine, comes later.

"Here, he's nothing," Wright said. "They're not 'Joe' anymore. They're Recruit 'Johnson.' It strips them of their individuality."

There may be an "I" in recruit, but they're not allowed to use it - the recruits are required to speak in the third person.

Week 3 'This recruit …'

"Mainly this recruit is looking forward to graduation," said 19-year-old Kimberly Jones of Havelock, who in week three of training was comfortable with asking permission to do anything. But she admitted that, "this recruit" slips every once in awhile out of the unfamiliar third person.

Jones was one of the first recruits interviewed during a four-day visit arranged and funded by the Marine Corps. In consideration of the visitors - about 70 educators from Marine Corps Recruiting Commands Raleigh and Louisville, Ky., plus 10 media - recruits were later permitted to revert to the less-distracting first person. But that was also tough.

Jones was at first hesitant about following her parents and brother into the military, but in her last years at Havelock High School she started considering the Air Force. Then she decided she wanted more of a challenge. The Marine Corps provided it.

"Every day is a challenge," Jones said. "It's not always easy having someone yell at you, but this recruit has gotten used to it."

After graduation, Jones will work in supply and administration. She's hoping to be stationed on the West Coast and will face possible deployment to a combat zone if the time comes.

"What's going to happen will happen," said Jones, adding that the drill instructors prepare them well.

Jasmine Williams, also of Havelock, was with Jones at the confidence course. There they faced the first of two visits to the obstacle course that includes an 11-station array of ropes, bars and logs with intimidating names like Slide For Life, Skyscraper, Confidence Climb and The Tough One.

"It's been the most challenging obstacle in my life," said Williams of her three weeks in boot camp. "I've never been away (from home) this long in my life."

Williams, 18, is the daughter of an active-duty gunnery sergeant. Her dad, who originally didn't want his daughter to enlist, tried to prepare her.

Even though she knew what to expect, Williams was still shocked by her first encounter with the DIs. The yelling, Williams said, is the biggest mental challenge; and hygiene issues proved to be a "rude awakening." She expected more emphasis on, and time devoted to, proper hygiene.

"I just deal with it," said Williams, who after graduation will be an aviation electrician and hopes to end up alongside her dad at Cherry Point.

Week 5 Confidence Course

Gunnery Sgt. Suzie Hollings says the recruits' first visit to the Confidence Course offers them their first taste of self-assurance.

"They've been broken down since they got here," Hollings said. "They're in boot camp. They're not supposed to do anything right."

But as Phase 1 nears its end, the recruits are expected to know the basic daily routine, how to talk to the DIs and how to conduct themselves.

"We expect them to grasp everything they've been taught," Hollings said. "From this part, everything is remediation."

By week five, when Phase 2 is just getting under way, most who can't handle it mentally will have been weeded out, Hollings said.

They will, however, still face physical challenges.

"They've got the swing of things now," Hollings said. "The ones we have now, if we lose them now it's due to injury or failing a testable event" like marksmanship, swimming or physical fitness.

The recruits are still a little timid, she said, but pride and the Marine Corps demeanor are starting to show. They still know they're far from being Marines.

"I definitely don't feel I'm at that point right now," said James Moreira, a 25-year-old recruit from Cape Carteret in week seven, firing week. His father is a retired Marine. He told his son what to expect.

"He went through boot camp in San Diego, which is different so I'm told," said Moreira, who enlisted for the career opportunities and "to support my country."

"It's been pretty tough at times. I'm just trying to keep my head up and get through it," he said. "It was a pretty rough experience from the time I stepped on the yellow footprints."

With various jobs under his belt during his time as a civilian, Moreira said he thinks he can handle the challenge better than his fellow recruits.

Cody Vermalen thought he was doing just fine.

"Really and truly I haven't been challenged by too many things here," said Vermalen, a 2000 graduate of Richlands High School. "Everything that happened, I expected to happen."

The swim quals were an exception. Swim qualifications, which are held in a pool located in a cavernous room made close and humid by 91-degree water, are a "deal breaker" for the recruit intent on becoming a Marine. But that's not the challenge Vermalen faced.

"I wanted, had to, get the highest score possible," Vermalen said.

He did.

At 22, Vermalen, like Moreira, is a little older than the average 19.6-year-old male and 19.7-year-old female recruit.

After high school, Vermalen completed an associates degree at Coastal Carolina Community College and was accepted at North Carolina State University. He regretted his decision not to enlist right after high school.

"I always wanted to defend my country," Vermalen said. "The war made me want to go in more."

On training day 45, Vermalen was treated to a break in the routine. Select recruits were taken to have lunch with educators from their hometown and given a little more - but not much - leeway in how they behaved.

"It's always nice to get away from that, nice to talk and have a conversation," said Vermalen, who still ate using only one hand as taught.

But, he added, "I'm ready to start training again."

And he was ready for what he called the "fun stuff, warrior stuff - running through fields, shooting moving targets."

That would come in two weeks. That would come with the Crucible.

Week 9 Rite of passage

The Crucible is the "rite of passage" instituted for all Marine recruits in 1996. They have two and a half days to travel 42 miles and complete 29 problem-solving exercises - all on a maximum of four hours sleep each night and three MREs to last the full 54 hours.

"It's been easier than I thought in some ways," said Clifton Fitzsimmons, from Jamestown, S.C., a small town with "a gas station and a blinking light." He was about halfway through the challenge.

The biggest surprise to Fitsimmons was to be working finally as a team with the rest of D Company - something he's been waiting for since the day he enlisted.

"I picked the Marine Corps (because) it's the only branch with honor, pride and teamwork," said Fitzsimmons. "It's not an Army of one."

By the time of the Crucible, on days 55 through 57, most of the hard work in boot camp has been done. But there are still reviews, tests and courses ahead to complete the transition from recruit to Marine.

marinemom
02-24-05, 03:40 AM
Boot camp is where it begins - cont'd

At the end

Graduation is the last day on the depot. But the men and women who will march across the parade deck receive their Eagle, Globe and Anchor pin, along with the accompanying title Marine, during a ceremony the day before.

The stands overflowed with spectators onto the surrounding grass with families who came in for both the Emblem Ceremony and the next day's graduation. But not long after the pins were distributed, accompanied by Lee Greenwood's "Proud to Be an American" playing over the loudspeakers, the stands were emptied as friends and family rushed to greet their Marine for the first time.

Six hours of on-base liberty for the newly minted Marines are granted. Families were taken on tours of the depot and the squad bays and introduced to DIs.

Graduation, when the former recruits could finally step off the island, would be the next day.

Afterward, the Marines depart Parris Island and, following 10 days of leave, arrive at places like Camp Geiger's School of Infantry for more training. Adam Adam, the Marine who spent five years trying to enlist, is now a private first class at SOI.

"This recruit is meritoriously promoted," said Adam, before realizing that he is no longer a recruit. He can again refer to himself as "I." "Without exaggeration, I can say I waited my whole life to do this. This is a real title I finally achieved.

He is a Marine.

mom84
02-24-05, 05:56 AM
Thank you for the article. I have been searching for detailed information about what goes on at boot camp and about the graduation ceremony, etc. I am very new at this info. My son will go to boot camp in San Diego in May and I don't have a clue about what he will go through and what I should be doing to support him and what plans should be made to go to graduation.

HardJedi
02-24-05, 06:35 AM
well, first off, do not plan on going to graduation, not really untill he is almost done.

Many things can happen that causes his grad date to be delayed.

as for supporting him? My best advice on that is this. Tell him you believe in him, and know that no matter what, you will be porud of him.

as for what he will go through? Just think of the most physically and mentally challeging thing he has ever faced in his life. Then multipy it by 50 ( or more)

mom84
02-24-05, 06:38 AM
Thank you Jedi for the info. I read last night that I cannot e mail him, he cannot call home etc...that basically no contact until it's done. If that is true, how will I know to buy plane tickets, plan for time off work etc?

HardJedi
02-24-05, 06:42 AM
You can write letters back and forth. but no, there is no e-mail, and very few if any phone calls.

or you could just be lilke my mom. I REFUSED to tell her when grad date was, just in case I got dropped, so she just pestered my recruiter until HE told her when I was graduating Boot.

Actually, once he is IN boot, the best way to support him, now that I think about it, is to write him letters a couple times a week. Getting mail in bootcamp is SOOO motivating for most people.

Just don't expect alot of highly detailed letters back. not alot of time to write long letters.

yellowwing
02-24-05, 07:11 AM
Yes, my mother wrote me at least 4 times a week. Even if it was just a few sentences. It helped to much to know that there was still a world out there to make the unimaginable stress of Bootcamp worthwhile.

And above all just like the scripted phone call says, DO NOT send the dreaded care package! We have a discusison thread on that one. The end results was that 19/20 times, it was a detriment to the recruit!

mom84
02-24-05, 08:33 AM
Haha. The dreaded package! He told me about this thankfully. He will turn 21 while there and if I hadn't known I most certainly would have sent him a care package. I read that thread though and I will only send him good thoughts and prayers for his birthday.

marinemom
02-24-05, 08:34 AM
mom84 - I understand totally - that said, here comes some advice on how to be a good mom to your recruit, which is a lot different from being a good mom to your your Marine...

1. the last week your recruit is at home, DO NOT ask him 20 times a day if he us "sure about this". He signed the contract - accept it.

2. DO NOT CRY when he walks out the door on 'the day" - it ain't easy, but do it. If anything, display your pride in him.

3. Do not let the "phone call" get to you. It usually comes late at night, has a lot of noise in the background (welcome to the world of the Drill Instructor), and your recruit does not answer anything you try to get in between "This is recruit..... and Goodbye".

(Hey, at least the Corps had the courtesy to let you know the trip is over and your recruit is fine.)

4. DO write your recruit often and continuously. Howver, in your letters DO NOT question your recruit's choice of the Corps. You may not understand it, BUT respect it.

5. DO NOT SEND A BOX OF ANYTHING! - you have been told this before. Please believe it...the sending of a box can result in a recruit developing that special, intimate relationship with the quarterdeck that he will remind you of OFTEN! (I did not do this - but a friend of mine did to her kid....not a nice thing)

6. When you go to graduation and Parent Day, please DO NOT scream out over the weight that your recruit has dropped. Remember the line from Spencer Tracy talking about female athlete Katherine Hepburn.."There ain't much on her, but what there is is choice"......trust me, he's "choice".

And last, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER forget to tell him in your letters and when you see him, how proud you are of him.

And welcome to the family of "Marine Moms".....any more questions, drop me a PM

Sgted
02-24-05, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by HardJedi

Getting mail in bootcamp is SOOO motivating for most people.

Getting mail in boot camp and anywhere I was stationed with the Marines was a giant moral booster. I always looked foward to mail call. Even if there was only a few lines.

mom84
02-24-05, 08:44 AM
THANK YOU so much for the advice! I am trying to learn all that I can. We have absolutely no military experience in our family and his decision came as a great shock to all of us. While I have accepted his decision and of course, I am PROUD of him (as I always have been), as his mom I have been a reluctant supporter. I have loved, supported and admired my son his entire life, he is truely a spectacular young man, but I am afraid for him. I think that is only natural. I don't think he understands that my reluctance is only out of love and fear. That said,

I will NOT ask him if he's sure (I'll contain myself lol)

I'll try not to cry when he leaves (But I make NO promises on this one.

I understand the phone call (I guess)

I will write often.

I will not send him anything but letters.

I will ALWAYS be proud.

USMC-FO
02-24-05, 08:51 AM
Mom 84:

Since you have until May get a copy of Thomas Ricks book "Making the Corps" it is a pretty good overview of boot camp. Of course you could always watch the first half of "Full Metal Jacket" too...but I don't recommend that.

Belive in your son, support him, be proud for him as he is joining a truely unique club.

Sgted
02-24-05, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by mom84

I'll try not to cry when he leaves (But I make NO promises on this one.

Crying is such a natural response to the sadness of saying goodbye to your son. The fear of the unknown and stress of what may come is understood. But that makes it much more difficult to hide your maternal instinct
You are only reacting as any Mother full of love for her son would react.
Both my Mother & Father (a former Marine, now both deceased) cried when I shipped to bootcamp in 1965.

mom84
02-24-05, 08:59 AM
I will definately buy the book USMC-FO. You guys are really helpful and I appreciate it!

Yeah, crying...well, since I have already cried much over the last month or so, maybe I won't on that day? HA! Slim chance of that happening!!

Is boot camp at the Marines fundamentally the same as for other forces like the Air Force or Army?

Old Marine
02-24-05, 09:13 AM
The Army, Air Force and Navy do not have a "Boot Camp."

They have a program called "Basic Training."

USMC-FO
02-24-05, 09:28 AM
Old Marine makes a key point he Mom84: There is absolutely nothing in any US armed forces basic training program that comes even remotely close to Marine Boot Camp. That is intentional and specific. Your sons experience at Boot Camp is going to be a transforming experience. He goes in as a young civilian man he will come out as a Marine. In many ways both you and is father will not recognize him. This is a magnificiant transformation that will remain with your son forever.

mom84
02-24-05, 09:36 AM
Boy, do I have a lot to learn. I better get the book today! I thought everyone did bootcamp. I have heard over and over that he will be a changed man after this. I can't help but feel really sad about that as I absolutely respect the man that he already is. I know you will all say he will be better for it and I believe you as you have been through it. Still, seems sad to me, the mom.

marinemom
02-24-05, 10:34 AM
The man that you respect now is the basis for the transformation to the United States Marine - don't forget that. The child you molded, the child whose values you help create is the foundation that the Corps will build upon.

There is no reason to be sad, trust me on this.

You cannot imagine now that intense feeling of pride that will spring up in you when you first see your son walk toward you from across the parade deck. ...and you see what has been built on the foundation you started.

I strongly recommend reading "Keeping Faith" by John Schaeffer, USMC and his dad Frank Schaeffer. While it is a father-son story about love and the son's choice to become a Marine, I think it is relevant for all parents.

ringoffire
02-24-05, 11:00 AM
mom84-I don't have much advice to give you, but I wish you and your family all the best in the future. Your son has made a great decision to join the USMC. I haven't read any books, so I couldn't suggest anything like that. My husband joined the USMC in 1993, he is still active duty and he was a Drill Instructor. The big thing is DON'T SEND PACKAGES. I know that has been said.
The feeling of pride that marinemom talks about is not just intense, its EXTREMELY INTENSE. I would go to my husbands graduations when he was a DI, (I went to all of them) and I had that feeling of pride, not only in my husband, but for all those recruits who walked across that parade deck and can finally be called Marine. I choked up at every graduation, its amazing. My prayers are with you and your family.

sm@@thrider
02-24-05, 11:28 AM
All parents should support their child if they want to join, yes there's alot of things you hear and worry about but its alot safer than on the streets for some. just send them mail no perishables or cigs or anything else it will get them in trouble and if they get caught then they are going to hate life 10 fold. don't ask a recruiter what goes on ask someone that just went through the training, and listen to them, its the best they can get.

mom84
02-24-05, 12:50 PM
Thank you ALL. I just ordered Making the Corp and The Crucible from Amazon. I will keep scanning this websight as well. You guys are great!

sm@@thrider
02-24-05, 01:06 PM
try this one.
http://www.beaufortonline.com/military/parrisisland/

http://www.beaufortonline.com/military/parrisislandvisitorinfo/

sm@@thrider
02-24-05, 01:50 PM
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/index.htm

P. M. SHEEHAN
02-24-05, 02:18 PM
To: Mom84
The recommendation from USMC-FO about Thomas Rick"s book is a good one and about as accurate as you can get. Thank God the "Full Metal Jacket Mentality" is long gone.
Also, once your son arrives in San Diego, the base CO will send you a letter attesting to the fact that your son has arrived safely. You will also get an information packet. Don't worry about graduation. You will be notified in ample time, and your son will make requests for visitor passes which you will receive in advance. Both Parris Island and San Diego allow only those with passes on base on graduation day. Othertimes, both are "open bases" for visitors having proper I.D.
Good luck to your son. You will never forget graduation day. In fact, you will have a hard time recognizing your son when you see him.
P.S. If your son practices some faith, that particular Chaplain will also be in touch with you. The Marine Corps encourages the practice of one's religion and love of God. He will be allowed to attend services at one of the base chapels.

sm@@thrider
02-24-05, 02:53 PM
If a parent shows up for grraduation and remembers there son with long hair they will walk past him but the females are easier to spot. I had my parents walk past me and I watched my recruits have the same thing happen. its funny.

USMC-FO
02-24-05, 03:34 PM
"....Thank God the "Full Metal Jacket Mentality" is long gone...."

Aw come on Ms Sheehan..... those were my experiences...those of us that went through that time have so many fond memories we just want to share.....

:-)

mom84
02-24-05, 06:14 PM
OK, another question...sorry. What type of expenses will there be? I understand that the plane ticket there and back is paid for. I found a site that said he didn't need to take money but he told me that he will have to buy clothes, boots etc and that it will be deducted from his pay. If that is true, what will he be spending? I am trying to approximate what he will have saved up by the end of boot camp for college spending money. He will get 1100/mo.

P. M. SHEEHAN
02-24-05, 06:28 PM
Mom-
I'm not so sure about the plane fare being paid for by the Government. Since he's not being deployed to active duty, but going home on leave, I believe he's on his own. After leave, he will have orders to report to AIT and that will be at Government expense. Yes, he will have to pay for uniforms. He will have very little money after boot camp. Is your son enlisting under the Reserve Program?

mrbsox
02-24-05, 06:36 PM
Start building him a 'scrap book'. While you are bound to kkep up with stuff, he will definantly find the memories heart warming YEARS from now.

Get boot camp books also.
I had bought 6. After graduation, I gave a few to relatives, kept a couple for prosperity. Several years ago we had a fire, and lost all.

My Uncle gave me his back. It is the last of the 6.

I guess I'm saying, enjoy these moments. They come but once. As a 'young buck', he may not see it yet, but these days will pass.

Congratulations

Terry

mom84
02-24-05, 06:44 PM
Yes, PM he is actually in a delayed entry reserve program. I thought the recruiter said they paid for the transportation to his monthly trips and boot camp. Maybe I'm wrong?

MRB, thank you so much for the scrap book idea! I will make something for him for sure. Great idea!

USMC-FO
02-24-05, 06:47 PM
"...If that is true, what will he be spending? .."

Thinking back I don't recall spending much of anything. I don't even recall getting paid for that matter! However that could be a reflection on my on age and memory. But getting a whopping $78 a month tends not to stick with you anyway.

Like PM Sheenan noted I am getting a sense your son is a reservist. Is that the case? That fact does not necessarily change the boot experience or the basic infantry training that follows boot camp.

marinemom
02-24-05, 08:32 PM
OK - first thing mom84 - the recruiter did not give you proper info.

Transportation to the MCRD is paid for by the Corps. Quit or get bounced from the depot - also paid to go home

Transportation from boot leave to either MCT or SOI is paid for. Fare from SOI/MCT to duty station is paid for.

Transportation from one duty station to another - also known as PCS - is paid for.

No other transportation is paid for - your son wants to come home on leave - either he or you pays for it. Going on leave, taking a weekend trip - not essential to the Corps and not paid for by the Corps.

cajunguy
02-24-05, 08:55 PM
Mom84,

In regards to the scrap book, be sure you include his letters home from boot camp in it.

After he is finished with boot camp, he will probably enjoy some of the thoughts he wrote in them as he went through the "experience".

I went through in San Diego in 1960, and my Mom had kept all of my letters home. The first one I wrote (which she still has to this day, believe it or not), started with, "Dear Mom and Dad. WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE?"

Those letters will be a priceless memory for you and your son after he comes home.

Best of luck to him. And you. Trust me, you BOTH will survive it.

The experience is temporary. The pride is forever.

greensideout
02-24-05, 09:32 PM
Cajunguy Quote; "I went through in San Diego in 1960".

I went through in San Diego in 1960 as well---Platoon 371.

August thru November.

P. M. SHEEHAN
02-25-05, 10:41 AM
One more thing and I think we can close this thread. Everybody has been very helpful. Your son will have to attend monthly drills as he well knows. Usually, from 0800 to 1600 both Sat and Sun. Times can vary if some kind of exercise is involved like annual qualification with the rifle. He will be paid 4 days for 2 because you're actually on a 24 hour call. If he makes rank quickly, he'll pick up a good buck for these weekends as well as summer camp. Listen up! If the reserve center is 50 miles or more from his home he will be paid (currently) .31 per mile to get there and back. This didn't exist years ago. Not a bad deal. Good luck!

lprkn
02-25-05, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by marinemom
And for every "disgusting pig" there's a "good job. Keep it up."

What? Huh?

yellowwing
02-26-05, 08:34 AM
First of all MarineMom was quoting a news story:

Boot camp is where it begins
February 24,2005
CYNDI BROWN, Jacksonville Daily News

PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.
...While Marine Corps rules state it's strictly "hands off," recruits are seen being jerked sharply into the next position if they're not moving fast enough. It's doubtful they even noticed. And for every "disgusting pig" there's a "good job. Keep it up."

It's knowing what to say and when to say it. ...

To me that particular passage portrays the challenge of Serving on the Drill Field.

"Full Metal Jacket Mentality"? - We all have different perceptions on that.

Take a look at what USMC-FO said about SHEEHAN's comment. He took it in good cheer.

What we all perceive about the "Full Metal Jacket Mentality" is different.

But you can be damn sure that there is nothing about SHEEHAN that is disloyal to Our Corps, wives-of, children-of, parents-of are included in Our Corps.

USMC-FO
02-26-05, 09:17 AM
I'll cover on Yellowwing and suggest to Cpl Woodman that he stand back and take a big slow gulp of air and RELAX.... Ms Sheehan can say whatever she damn well wants to say...as a Marine wife she has earned that privege on this site.

Namvet67
02-26-05, 03:28 PM
Hey woodman...this is Marinemoms thread! She has the right to voice her opinion any time she wants.... you having a bad day of something? gbudd

siorno
02-26-05, 07:14 PM
Don't write too many letters at one time though! My wife (then girlfriend) had 12 show up with a few from mom and dad at one mail call. I had to do 25 push ups for every letter after 3. You can image what my next letter out to her mentioned. To this day, I still look forward to checking the mail box at home. Thanks for the interest in your son's future with the Corps mom84. An earned EGA will allow his entry into a life long relationship with a very special group of people. Semper Fi

woodman
02-26-05, 08:24 PM
FO and yellowwing,

I reacted to comments by PM SHEHAN and need to straighten things out.

First and foremost let me say that I respect ANY and ALL family members of Marines.
both of you stated that she has damned sure EARNED the right to say anything she wants to but I appearently have not EARNED that same right.
Reguardless: when someone who has never stood on the yellow foot prints makes assenine comments I do take offense.
Am I a little too intense sometimes,yes, and sometimes I'm alot too intense LOL. but those same qualities made me a good MARINE:marine:

greensideout
02-26-05, 10:20 PM
The movie, "The DI" starring Jack Webb was an example of Marine boot camp that was preceived by most at the time when I went through. When I returned my brother asked if it was that tough. I remember laughing and telling him that they really cleaned it up for the movies.

The first half of the movie FMJ was a little closer and could be better related to as USMC-FO pointed out.

I went through Marine boot camp, not my wife, or my mother, or my brother, or my sisters. None of them have a clue.

I did not read woodman's comment because it must have been scrubed but I do agree with the basic premise of his response. If you have not stood in the yellow foot prints then you don't really know what you are talking about and should not go there with comment.

woodman
02-26-05, 10:28 PM
GSO,

Thank you for stating my case better than I did. Hope retirement is treating you well.