PDA

View Full Version : 3/8 Marine Earns Battlefield Promotion

yellowwing
02-23-05, 05:19 PM
Another "Where do we get these men?" example

Body Armor Plate Stops Round
by Lance Cpl. Athanasios L. Genos
Marine Corps News, February 22, 2005 (http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,usmc3_022205.00.html?ESRC=marine.nl)

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq - Marines with Company I, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, took fire from insurgents, during a foot patrol through the city of Al Karmah, Iraq, Feb. 9. One of the shots fired found its mark in the protective plates of one Marine's body armor.

While leading the group of Marines into the city, Lance Cpl. Patrick K. Bagley, then still a private first class, was hit by enemy fire. The plates of his body armor stopped the round that hit him, allowing Bagley to recover quickly. He immediately got back up and returned fire, giving his fellow Marines a chance to get into position for a counter attack.

"We were walking down the street, and then all of a sudden I heard a shot fired and I felt the impact on my stomach," said the 2004 High School of Science and Technology graduate. "As soon as I was hit I came back up and returned fire as I found cover."

The firefight only lasted a few minutes. Bagley and the Marines soon lost sight of the enemy and continued to press forward up the streets.

Bagley, a native of Springfield, Mass., would not be left behind during that push. Even after being hit by enemy fire, Bagley continued clearing the houses and buildings with his fellow Marines.

Later reinforcements from other platoons of India Co. arrived to provide the Marines doing the searches with an outer perimeter as they moved through the streets.

During the searches, Bagley and his fellow Marines found weapons caches in some of the homes. Many AK-47s and magazines were taken along with 10 detainees who were questioned about the excess of weapons they had in their possession.

After the day's patrol was completed, Bagley was checked out and cleared by their medical staff. He returned to his unit less than 12 hours later with only minor bruising to the stomach area. He returned to full duty, rejoined his comrades and continued on with his mission of combating the insurgency and providing security for the Iraqi people.

Bagley joined Company I, 3/8, only weeks before deploying to Camp Fallujah, Iraq. Being junior to everyone in the battalion, Bagley makes up for his lack of time in the service with his bravery and courage on the battlefield.

Bagley received a combat promotion to lance corporal Feb. 11 for his courage and commitment to mission accomplishment.

"It's Marines such as Bagley who continue the proud tradition of Marine Corps success in combat," stated Lt. Col. Stephen Neary, commanding officer of 3/8.

sm@@thrider
02-23-05, 10:04 PM
good to go 3/8, I was with them 1994-96

ASSAULTCRAFT89
02-24-05, 10:34 AM
awesome to hear their still getter done, i was with them in desert storm and operation provide comfort in 89-93. then went to smallcraft co. keep up the good work.