PDA

View Full Version : The Last Squad Bay

chezzplayr05
02-22-05, 08:43 PM
The Marines of Delta Battery(redesignated Golf Battery) 2/10 were the last FMF Marines to leave the open squad bay for the motel style baracks. circa 1991 hoorah-yut!yut! can't truck it **** it!

greensideout
02-22-05, 09:03 PM
Really! Is this history that you KNOW?

chezzplayr05
02-22-05, 09:10 PM
I know it too well Devil Dog! Glad you asked. We on CamleJ did extensive research on this as we were waiting...waiting for our barracks to be built. hoo-rah! BTW we did a street by street, unit by unit search at the time. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Let me klnow if you have any info to oppose this.

CAR
02-25-05, 02:28 AM
I was in in open squadbays up until end of 92. ( Think it was Nov or Dec) . Camp Horno 1-4. Sorry, don't know what to tell ya.

hrscowboy
02-25-05, 02:42 AM
where the heck was camp horno ???

woodman
02-25-05, 03:28 AM
Horno is about 2 miles east of school of infantry on Pendelton.

hrscowboy
02-25-05, 05:52 AM
ok i am lost we had 13 area 33 area onfra area and a bunch more that i cant seem to remember but i never heard of horno

woodman
02-25-05, 05:59 AM
cowboy,

Horno is 2-3 miles east of onofre on the road heading to mainside (13) area

CAR
02-25-05, 06:38 AM
If memory serves it is the 53 area, along Basilone Rd east of SOI (52 area). At the base of recon ridge if that helps.

benny rutledge
03-01-05, 10:26 AM
Ah...........the comfort and ease of Quonset hut life! No silly rafters to gather dust,no corners,the lovely sound of rain or hail accoustically amplified a hundred times.
You wimpazoids and Sissy's!!!! Be a Marine!! Insist the Base CO has those Silly,Comfy,Warm Barracks removed today!!!

cajunguy
03-01-05, 11:13 AM
Way too many sunsets have passed, but if you entered CamPen through what was in the early 1960's, known as the San Clemente gate, you passed through Camp San Onofre, where ITR was, and continued toward Mainside, the next camp was Horno.

I was there in 1st Anti-Tank Btn. and 1st Recon was also there at the time.

Spent many "off time" hours in the Horno slop chute there. I can still hear Ricky Nelson's "Travelin' Man" echoing from the juke box and off the slop chute's ceiling.

Wow, the memories. (Damn, I MUST be getting old.)

jinelson
03-01-05, 11:51 AM
cheezplayr05 said The Marines of Delta Battery(redesignated Golf Battery) 2/10 were the last FMF Marines to leave the open squad bay for the motel style baracks. circa 1991 hoorah-yut!yut! can't truck it **** it

Geez did this thread evoke some good memories, anyone remember company beer busts and BBQ's at the San Onofre Area beach club? Where the ice chest was the trailer on an M35A2C 5 ton 6X6 and the ice water would get dumped on the "Skipper" at the end when we were dry.

Thanks bro it brought back some memories of when I hauled 8" Howies for 11th Motors in Nam as a wannabe gun bunny. Cannon cockers aint so bad after all. God Bless and as Bob Hope would say, thanks for the memories.

Sempers and KOT
Jim
FMF 67-73 3537 SSgt one each USMC

Fred Pfeiffer
03-01-05, 02:59 PM
Am I mistaken or wasn't Camp Horno also where we were billeted when we went through Escape and Evasion training before shipping to the Nam in '67?

Anyone remember killing the white rabbit for diner and then using it's pelt for one shoe? They only gave us the one rabbit so we couldn't make a pair of shoes.

That does bring back memories.

Semper Fidelis,
Fred

hector verduzco
03-01-05, 03:18 PM
I was at Camp Horno from 81-84. My unit was Truck Co. This was my first unit after boot camp. Then went to 3/9 H&S Co. Motor- T. Spent time from 84-85. Drove dueces, 5-tons, gammagoats, mules, m-151 jeep, m880, 18 passenger bus, propane, explosive certified. Had great times. miss a lot.

JohnD
09-10-09, 07:10 PM
Wow, when I left Delta Battery in 1989 we were still in the open squad bays, while all around us the old building were being renovated into rooms. In the four years I was in D 2/10, we kept hearing we would be next, only to have the new 3 man rooms that had been build given to some other unit. Nice to see they finally moved up to the newer barracks. Even if Delta did become Gulf Battery along the way.

Silva0311
09-10-09, 07:32 PM
when we got back from my first float we were assigned to open squad bays for about a few months dont remember how long this was back in 95 into 1996 before we moved into the new barracks the deploying unit vacated, i was in 2/1 in camp horno

Alisium
09-10-09, 07:53 PM
I was in in open squadbays up until end of 92. ( Think it was Nov or Dec) . Camp Horno 1-4. Sorry, don't know what to tell ya.

I was in 1/4 until 2000 and we stayed in squad bays in Horno.

For the record, Marineness doesn't get any thicker than that bowl in Horno.