PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Daytona 500

yellowwing
02-21-05, 11:22 AM
I was never really a NASCAR Fan until yesterday. We had company sleep-over for a few days, so I ended up having to field day the living room this last Sunday.

I caught the last half of the Daytona 500 and was really thrilled!

The strategy, teamwork, and the sheer will to win.

During the dramatic crashes, the spotters had to IMMEDIATELY direct their drivers to safe routes. That was impressive.

One of the greatest quotes was from Jeff Gordon in Victory Lane. Something like, "Around the 8th lap to go the team owner, Rick Hendrick, said to me 'Jeff, isn't it about time to win this race?' "

Anyway, now that the NFL season is over, I got something new watch on the weekends!

HardJedi
02-21-05, 11:27 AM
well, congrats Yellowing. glad you found a new hobby. tyo me, nascar, professional bowling, watching grass grow, paint dry, and watching a pro bass tournament all have the same ability to interest me. which is to say NONE.

don't get me wrong, if they ran nascar on a figure 8 track? I'd watch all day long. ( you know, more crashes)

eddief
02-21-05, 01:44 PM
I don't get what the big deal is about making left turns.

yellowwing
02-21-05, 02:57 PM
Left turns? Doing it at 155 mph with only 3 inches between you and the other drivers. Extreme "tail-gating". No thanks, I'd rather watch it on tv!

I wouldn't go as far as calling NASCAR athletics, in the traditional sense. Professional bowling and female mud wrestling would be more athletic.

Don't we have a Marine Corps sponsored stock car?

wrestler07
02-21-05, 07:18 PM
yes its a chevy monte carlo and its #25 however i dont know the driver

Phantom Blooper
02-21-05, 07:30 PM
TEAM MARINES REGROUP FOR 2005 SEASON
Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story by: Computed Name: Gunnery Sgt. James D. Edwards
Story Identification #: 2004123111331

MARINE CORPS RECRUITING COMMAND, QUANTICO, Va.(Dec. 3, 2004) -- Before the drop of the green flag for the 2004 NASCAR Busch Grand National Series, Team Rensi Motorsports and the No. 25 Team Marines Ford was one of the heavy favorites to win the 2004 championship.

The pre-season prediction was obviously motivating for the race team, but it was even more enticing for the United States Marine Corps.

In 2004, the Marine Corps signed on with Team Rensi Motorsports as the primary advertiser for a fourth consecutive year, in order to capitalize on NASCAR’s large and growing fan base in support of recruiting efforts.

As expected, the team performed extremely well on the track and received countless hours of free television, radio, newspaper and Internet coverage. While the Marine Corps spent $3.1 million for the 2004 program, Team Rensi Motorsports estimates that the Marine Corps received much more than that amount in unpaid media exposure.

“We are extremely proud to work with the Marine Corps and are thrilled to assist them with their recruiting efforts,” said Rob Winchester, Public Relations, Team Rensi Motorsports. “We want to get their message to the American public every week and the early figures estimate that the team received more than $15 million of free media coverage this year.”

Although the team started the season strong, a late-season driver change kept the team from claiming the championship trophy.

Bobby Hamilton, Jr., driver of the team’s Ford Taurus for the first 23 races of the season, claimed seven top five finishes, was eighth in driver standings and had the Rensi’s eighth in owner standings. However, more than two-thirds into the season the team’s president announced his decision to release Hamilton, Jr. so he could devote the remainder of the 2004 season to his Nextel Cup career.

“Throughout the past three seasons, Team Rensi Motorsports grew into a championship-caliber team finishing just 49 points out of first place in the 2003 Championship race,” said Sam Rensi, President and CEO of Team Rensi Motorsports. “With Bobby and Harold Holly’s (the teams crew chief) announcement to move to the Nextel Cup series in 2005, I felt that it would be best to allow Bobby to prepare for his career change now and allow Team Rensi Motorsports, with Harold’s help, to begin the process of preparing for 2005.”

The Rensi’s hired Mike McLaughlin to drive the car for the remainder of the 2004 season. Unfortunately, he didn’t have any driver points and didn’t get to carry over Hamilton, Jr.’s points, so the team’s chances of winning the 2004 championship had all but disappeared.

With the championship out of sight, the team regrouped and focused their efforts on building a competitive race team for the 2005 season. McLaughlin was very competitive on the track and each and every week Team Marines continued to be a force to be reckoned with. While he was behind the wheel, the team scored one top five finish and when the checkered flag waved for the final race of the season, the team owners were ranked 11th in the final owner standings.

“The Marine Corps is proud to be associated with Team Rensi Motorsports and we are also very appreciative of the work done by driver Mike McLaughlin – he represented the Marine Corps well,” said BGen Walter E. Gaskin, Commanding General, Marine Corps Recruiting Command. “The team continues to demonstrate that they can field a very competitive race team and they provide a quality marketing program that supports the efforts of our recruiters.”

As the Marine Corps Recruiting Command steps off into what is projected to be a challenging recruiting year, it is imperative that the Corps’ message of opportunity is seen and heard in every community across the nation. Therefore, the Marine Corps announced in late October that they will sign on as the primary marketing partner with Team Rensi Motorsports for a fifth consecutive year.

The Rensi’s have hired Ashton Lewis, Jr. to drive the #25 Team Marine Ford Taurus during the 2005 season. The Chesapeake, VA native has been driving in the NASCAR Busch Series since 2001 and he finished the 2004 season eighth in the driver point standings.

“I am very excited to have this opportunity to represent the United States Marine Corps next season,” said Ashton Lewis, Jr. “It is an honor to know that I will have more than 215,000 active and reserve Marines, their families and all of those former Marines out there pulling for Team Marines each and every week.”

Team Rensi Motorsports and the United States Marine Corps look forward to another successful program in 2005, and are counting the days until the next chase for the championship starts at Daytona International Speedway on February 19, 2005.