PDA

View Full Version : 19 Febuary 1045...The invasion of Iwo Jima, my tribute to those Marines

MillRatUSMC
02-18-05, 05:29 PM
Today is 19 Febuary in the Far East, so we wish to render this small tribute to those Marines and Corpsmen.

On 19 February, 1945, a day that now is a great part of the history of the Marine Corps.
We wish to give our respects to many who were in the service of our beloved Corps.
I made this web page a few years back, warning there's embedded music.

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/tributetoiwojimamarines.html
My Tribute to the Marines of Iwo Jima

We salute those Marines and Corpsmen that never made it back.
Hand Salute.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

gwladgarwr
02-18-05, 06:52 PM
If anyone is interested and in DC tomorrow, Sat, 19 Feb:

10 a.m.: Commemoration and wreath-laying ceremony at the Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington, VA

• 11:30 a.m.: Wreath laying at the National World War II Memorial, National Mall, Washington, DC

Underleft
02-18-05, 07:10 PM
I am reading Flags of our fathers right now and it is an incredible book. I reccomend it to any Marine but especially those interested in Iwo Jima

02-18-05, 08:12 PM
Semper fi, all. I have had the great honor and pleasure of visiting Charles Lindberg in his home. It was better than peaches and pound cake. What a Marine!

jfreas
02-18-05, 08:40 PM
To those who are interested in the History of the Battle for Iwo Jima. I have an autographed COPY of the First Flag Raising on Iwo. I have tried to share it with as many as possible here. If you'd like me to send a copy please write me at jfreas@rochester,rr,com I will be more than happy to share it with you.

jfreas
02-18-05, 08:41 PM
OOPs , forgot put Flag Raising in the subject line.

MillRatUSMC
02-18-05, 08:52 PM
0351, great numbers, as I once held that MOS.
On Charles Lindberg, read that he was the last of the first flag raisers, than other Marine was found of the first flag raisers on 23 Febuary 1945.
It was great that you were able to visit this great Marine in his home.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

PS
It sad, they were not given their due, while many were still alife.
Many on Iwo Jima, were not aware of the second flag raising, but luck had it as the most famous of the two.

crew
02-18-05, 09:03 PM
Thank you for the tribute, my Dad was on Iwo and I copied this page to show him, thank you and Semper Fi..:marine:

MillRatUSMC
02-18-05, 09:12 PM
crew, I want to thank you for your kind words to me, it was a labor of love.
One because of bravery and valor that was common on that island.
So please give my best to your dad and our "Semper Fi's" to one of many who service is now part of the Marine Corps history.
He and many other made it possible, for us to say with a proud feeling, "I'm a Marine".

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo aka MillRatUSMC

cajunguy
02-18-05, 09:22 PM
Coincidentally, the annual reunion of the Iwo Jima veterans is being held in my city this weekend .

Newspaper article here:
http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050218/OPINION01/502180335/1014
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/cajunguy/usa.gif

MillRatUSMC
02-18-05, 10:09 PM
Cajunguy,
Please write the newspaper that article appeared in and advice them, that it was six instead of three Marines, actually it was five Marine and one Corpsman in the second but most famous flag raising.
Great story other than that little mistake.
Hope you get to meet many of those Marines and Corpsmen from the Iwo Jima invasion.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

cajunguy
02-18-05, 10:17 PM
MillRat,

Would you believe I completely missed that when I read the article? http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage23/14.gif

Damn, I hate it when I do that. Oh well, back to Boot Camp for me.

MillRatUSMC
02-19-05, 06:58 AM
&lt;BR CLEAR=&quot;left&quot;&gt; <br />
&lt;P&gt;&lt;B&gt;Dateline; <br />
Today been 2/20 in the Far East. <br />
2/20/45 <br />
Marines start their advance south to Mt. Suribachi and north to the airfields. <br />
The fighting up the mountain some of...

USMC-FO
02-19-05, 12:07 PM
Not 20 minutes ago I visited a friend of mine here in town just to say "Semper Fi"--Plt Sgt Joe Topor. A-1-28 5th MarDiv. He was in on the initial assult in the second line of boats to reach the beach around 0915 sixty years ago. Joe is now 84 but in great shape and sharp as a tack. He was wounded on 12 March 45. "A" company had a casualty rate around 90% throughout the course of the battle. I make a point of seeing him half dozen times a year or so and at last years 229th luncheon in Boston I bought a table for ten and he was our most distinguished Marine at the table.

If I could figure how to post a pic of Joe I woould have included it with this post.

MillRat a great tribute !

Cole11
02-19-05, 03:31 PM
to the Marines on Iwo, SEMPER FI

GySgtRet
02-19-05, 03:47 PM
crew,

Please thank your dad and all the Marines of his platoon,,

Semper Fidelis

greensideout
02-19-05, 07:32 PM
The Marines that preceded us in service to the Corps set the standard by which we were judged and the high honor that we were held to. The battle of Iwo Jima is another great example of the heart of the Marine in battle. I honor them today!

"UNCOMMON VALOR WAS A COMMON VIRTUE"

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
02-19-05, 07:36 PM
Amen and Semper Fi!

MillRatUSMC
02-19-05, 08:11 PM
Its sad, there not much coverage on the Iwo Jima invasion, and those that gave their alls.
A little on the living survivors, seeing that this year is the 60-anniversary, you would figure that he would get some coverage.
Sad, on how pitiful lack of coverage.
I speaking from northwest Indiana and the cable channels coverage of the news.
Must not be news worthy for some.
Sad
"That could be another story"
Dateline;
Is it any wonder that veterans are now getting the shaft, on co-payments to the VA?

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

yellowwing
02-20-05, 03:40 AM
Survivors remember Iwo Jima <br />
60th anniversary of famous battle in the Pacific during World War II reunites veterans who fought there. <br />
By Rob Schneider, IndyStar Feb 20, 2005 <br />
NOBLESVILLE, Ind. --...

Thurman
02-23-05, 06:26 AM
To the 133rd Seabees - 4th Marine Division
370 casualties mostly in the first day!
You Are Not Forgotten!!
CAN - DO