PDA

View Full Version : What Is An "Honorary Promotion" In The Marine Corps???

gunnyg
10-17-02, 07:52 PM
Can't find any reference/authority for this.

Nofi's book, Marine Corps Book of Lists, Albert A. Nofi, 1997, Combined Publishing, page #176, indicates that there have been "Four Honorary Marines" --Bugs Bunny--Stephen Crane, War Correspondent--Bgen James G. Harbord, USA--SgtMaj Jacob Vouza of the Solomon Island Defense Force, WWII.

Hmm...but nothing on "honorary promotions," now that's strange....

http://www.mca-marines.org/Leatherneck/ErmeyArch.htm

USMC0311
10-17-02, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by gunnyg
Can't find any reference/authority for this.

Nofi's book, Marine Corps Book of Lists, Albert A. Nofi, 1997, Combined Publishing, page #176, indicates that there have been "Four Honorary Marines" --Bugs Bunny--Stephen Crane, War Correspondent--Bgen James G. Harbord, USA--SgtMaj Jacob Vouza of the Solomon Island Defense Force, WWII.

Hmm...but nothing on "honorary promotions," now that's strange....

http://www.mca-marines.org/Leatherneck/ErmeyArch.htm

Might wanna mess with the WORD "Honorary" The rest should fall in place.

gunnyg
10-17-02, 08:21 PM
it serves my purpose well as is!

USMC0311
10-17-02, 08:32 PM
Honorary
a : conferred or elected in recognition of achievement or service without the usual prerequisites or obligations <an honorary degree> <an honorary member>

I was suggesting You check the meaning Marine. and Like I said the rest falls into place.

gunnyg
10-17-02, 08:41 PM
now...try reading between the lines of my initial post and you will get my drift, Marine....

Just Plain Dick

gunnyg
10-17-02, 08:51 PM
OK....

THE BREVET RANK

The innovation of the brevet rank was adopted subsequent to the War of 1812. It was to be awarded to officers who had distinguished themselves in action or had served ten years in grade. Such commissions in the Marine Corps, date from April 16, 1814. In essence, this amounted to an honorary promotion, w/o any increase in either pay or seniority.
Navy Regulations did not permit the award of a Medal of Honor to an officer before 1916, therefore, it was common practice in the Marine Corps for an officer to be awarded a brevet in lieu of a Medal of Honor.

THE BREVET MEDAL

In 1921, CMC John A. Lejeune proposed that surviving officers who held brevets be given a special decoration. This was approved, and all living brevet holders were awarded the Brevet Medal, which resembled the 1917 version of the Navy Medal of Honor, a gold cross pattee, with a red ribbon seasoned with gold stars. The Brevet Medal was second only to the Medal of Honor in precedence.

Re Marine Corps Book of Lists, Nofi, Combined Publishing, 1997

Posted on Oct 1, 2002, 1:37 PM
from IP address 66.133.134.222

USMC0311
10-17-02, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gunnyg
now...try reading between the lines of my initial post and you will get my drift, Marine....

[B]I'm in the drift now Marine

top1371
10-18-02, 07:21 AM
FYI,

MARINE CORPS ORDER P1400.32C

Subj: MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME 2, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS
(SHORT TITLE: MARCORPROMMAN, VOL 2, ENLPROM)

5. There are no provisions to issue a temporary, honorary or
probationary enlisted appointment.

Semper Fi,

gunnyg
10-18-02, 07:39 AM
That's what I want to hear, Top!

Strange, a publication (see URL above) that will not print a word about Sgt Ray Jacobs--the now recognized radioman in SSgt Lou Lowery's Iwo Jima Flag photos (THE Flag-not the "replacement" flag)one of the now two living survivors of Lt Schrier's 40-man combat patrol up Suribachi--can just go ahead and write-up a non-existent "honorary promotion!"

A Comedy of Errors A-Z--IMHO!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/764804/posts

Havelka
10-18-02, 08:09 AM
There's a large group of Former Marines in Naperville,Illinois that have a Marine Corps ball every year for over 20 years now.They call themselves The Naperville Marines.
They have an opening ceremony which one of the members is a Corporal under four years.He gives all the orders and is sort of the M.C. Well they decided to make him a Gunny with 3 hash
marks.
I resent this practice and along with other Marines complained.
Nothing has been done about this and he shows up at a lot of Veteran function's as this phony Gunny.
A lot of people quit going to this ball.
:thumbdown

gunnyg
10-18-02, 08:16 AM
I've decided I prefer the term....pseudo-gunny --or more honestly, ssgt medically retired 12 years!--in this case.

gunnyg
10-18-02, 08:31 AM
http://www.mfp.usmc.mil/mfpband/grouphoto.htm