PDA

View Full Version : Hand to Hand Combat

sm@@thrider
02-15-05, 03:31 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can get the new information on hand to hand,self defense training that is being used now? I wanted some new techniques from the old stuff.

Osotogary
02-17-05, 10:09 AM
sm@@thrider,
I found this web link for you. (I was curious myself)
http://members.tripod.com/worldkarateunion.org/id101.htm
I went into Google and entered Marine Corps martial arts program and this link was the first one shown. I couldn't down load the pictures so here is some of the text.

MARINE CORPS MARTIAL ARTS THE CENTER OF EXCELLENCE

NOBODY LIKES WAR. But freedom-loving people must fight them and win. That's been the mission of the United States Marine Corps since 1775. Combat has changed since then and so has the Marine Corps. Yet as the war on terrorism and the battle against Iraq unfolds, the Marines aren't just keeping pace with the techniques of the modern battlefield. They're leading the way. Case in point: The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program.

During July 2000, the Commandant of the Marine Corps directed the development and implementation of a Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. The program goals are to improve warfighting capabilities of individual Marines and Units, enhance Marines' self-confidence and esprit de corps, and further instill the warrior ethos into the Corps. This program will heighten the personal development of each Marine in a team framework, using a standardized, trainable and sustainable close combat system. This design will enhance Marines' minds, bodies and spirits thereby substansially improving overall unit combat readiness throughout the Total Force.

USMC MARTIAL ARTS PROGRAM IS MORE THAN PUNCHING, KICKING

The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program combines 10 martial arts into a four fighting discipline designed to sharpen the mind and body.

UNARMED COMBAT

EDGED WEAPONS

WEAPONS OF OPPORTUNITY

RIFLE & BAYONET

General James L. Jones, Commandant of the Marine Corps, initiated the program in 1999 because he believed the current program did not meet the need of anticipated 21st century conflicts. He wanted more non-lethal techniques avaiable for humanitarian and peacekeeping missions when deadly force was not authorized.

Two hours of the martial arts training will soon be a mandatory part of active-duty physical training.

"Marines have three to five mandatory hours of physical training a week. Soon two of those hours will be spent on martial arts training."

The program, which is relatively new to the Depot, involves mental, physical and character discipline.

The mental aspect of training is intendedto create a smarter Marine capable of decision-making under any condition from combat to liberty.

"The mental training includes PMI's(professional military instruction), the commandant's reading list, and the study of past and present warfare techniques".

The physical training is composed of both lethal and non-lethal tactics including weapons and unarmed styles.

"The physical training builds combat toughness and physical endurance". The character aspect of training involves core values and leadership training aimed to the mental toughness Marines gain in recruit training.

"The mental aspect builds esprit de Corps and a Warrior Spirit that is needed for success in combat".

It will be mandatory and will benefit even the experienced martial artist.

The program was developed by a martial arts subject matter experts. So, even Marines with martial arts background can gain from the training.

If a Marine is lacking in any of the mental, physical or character disciplines, he can have 20 years martial arts training and still have much to learn from this program.

MARINE CORPS MARTIAL ARTS BELT SYSTEM

If you're familiar with karate and tae-kwondo, the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program belt-ranking system will be nothing new. It spans five colors. Each level includes stretching, body-hardening exercises, academic study and written exams.

* TAN - Basic techniques. Instruction focuses on core values and principles of leadership. Tecniques include the basic warrior stance, body - movement angles, punches, body strikes, chokes and holds.

* GREY - Instruction includes more basics, introductory to intermediate fundamentals and mental discipline. Techniques include elbow and knife-hand strikes, chokes, counter-chokes, counter-strikes, off balancing techniques and bayonet fighting.

* GREEN - Intermediate fundamentals of each discipline. Techniques include muscle-gouging, shoulder throws, wrist locks using enhanced pain compliance, ground fighting and weapons of opportunity.

* BROWN - More intermediate-level fundamentals and introductory advanced-level fundamentals of each Discipline. Techniques include bayonet methods against multiple attackers, leg locks andarm bars, arm bar counters, fire -arm disarms and retention and non-lethal baton tactics.

* BLACK - Advanced skills. Techniques include bayonet use in low light and against multiple attackers, sweeping hip throws, face rips and triangle chokes from the guard, pistol counters, cupped-hand strikes and pressure point applications.

WHEN CHARACTER COUNTS

Three core values are cricial to the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and to the Corps itself. They are vital to every Marine's physical, mental and moral development.

HONOR - For Marines, this maens honesty, integrity, respect, accountability and trust.

COURAGE - It includes mental, moral and physical strength. It helps Marines do what's right no matter the circumstances. And it helps defeat the enemy wherever he's found.

COMMITMENT - It breeds professionalism, discipline, pride and mastery of the art of war. Without commitment, there would be no UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. SEMPER FIDELIS.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS VISIT www.usmc.mil or click
http://www.usmc.mil

sm@@thrider
02-23-05, 11:17 AM
Thank you Oso

Osotogary
02-23-05, 12:58 PM
You are welcome sm@@thrider.
Although the website that I directed you to has alot of information on it I'm sure that there is a whole lot more out there to be found like perhaps an "Official" Marine Corps procedure or manual. If it is going to cost money to implement, it's going to have to be justified. If it is justified there has got to be an organization chart and a procedure/operation type manual. Now those would be interesting to read.
Hope that you found what you were looking for.

LivinSoFree
02-23-05, 01:08 PM
I know that each belt level has a syllabus... not sure about the availability of them... but if you've got any buddies still on active duty, they could probably get ahold of them for you... I know I'm trying to get a tan and a gray for myself.

lprkn
02-23-05, 02:27 PM
If you're near a Marine Corps base, you might be able to get in contact with a MCMAP instructor, although those guys are still fairly rare. He might be willing to show you a few moves. Also, there's always a chance of your local recruiter being MCMAP qualified somewhere higher than a tan belt. But he's probably pretty busy meeting his monthly goals.

sm@@thrider
02-23-05, 10:07 PM
I was a DI and got out but have taught my new unit the older moves and now I want to go through the new one's to teach myself and some of them since we are going back overseas again.. thanks all.

hrscowboy
02-23-05, 10:45 PM
nope i dont think so colt 357 python speaks for this marine i dont want anyone that close to me that i have to worry about him getting back up and kickin my butt.. 4 slugs to the chest you wont be getting back up to fight...

sm@@thrider
02-23-05, 10:47 PM
That was the old days, now you do that they sue you, so just knock the hell out of them and let them suffer with there wounds for a while. lol

muck
03-20-05, 08:03 PM
sm@@thrider,
See if this helps you any.
http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/0/a78deffe637d16dc852569770049c6f4/$FILE/MCO%201500.54A.pdf

SF,
Muck

Might have to copy and paste to your address bar if link doesn't work.

greensideout
03-20-05, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary

MARINE CORPS MARTIAL ARTS

NOBODY LIKES WAR. But freedom-loving people must fight them and win. That's been the mission of the United States Marine Corps since 1775. Combat has changed since then and so has the Marine Corps.

UNARMED COMBAT

RIFLE & BAYONET

Two hours of the martial arts training will soon be a mandatory part of active-duty physical training.

"Marines have three to five mandatory hours of physical training a week. Soon two of those hours will be spent on martial arts training."

[/B]

"Combat has changed since then and so has the Marine Corps."

Hell's bells. We had that training in 1960 and I am sure long before and after.

As far as "combat has changed and the Marine Corps"? That's a bunch of crap!

We are looking at PC bull. We, the Marines are now, peacekeepers? I don't think so! Who do they call when they want some ass kicked?

d c taveapont
03-20-05, 09:30 PM
Doubt if you'll get that close to use it.....sh/t if you were a DI why need to know more....

Osotogary
03-23-05, 03:55 PM
sm@@thrider-
Here is another link that I just came across. You might be interested.
Marine Corps Martial Arts Association
http://cpmaa.cmasdirect.com. No pictures of anyone in GI's.

Marine_Gunner63
03-23-05, 04:27 PM
you should also check out krav maga. it is an israeli form of martial art that they teach to their special forces. i was an instructor before i joined the Corps and it is some bad @$$ $h*t. check out www.kravmaga.com for omre info and a few bad @$$ video clips. semper fi

sm@@thrider
03-24-05, 11:29 AM
Thank you all for the input, its good to still have brothers all around.

Osotogary
03-24-05, 12:12 PM
Sm@@thrider-
Correction! The http: address doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Please just go to your search engine and type in Marine Corps Martial Arts Association. You will ahve better luck. Sorry. I should have checked the web address before showing it.

Gary

hrscowboy
03-24-05, 02:06 PM
you have to be kidding right hand to hand combat my butt try that crap on me and you will be eating a 45 colt long before you get close enough to use that hand to hand combat on me.

Ed Palmer
03-24-05, 03:49 PM
be nice cowboy