PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning blood test.

getmeoutofmt
02-15-05, 12:55 PM
I've been in the DEP for about 2 and a half weeks now and just found out I have von willebrands from when I was tested long ago as a child. I talked to my recruiter and told him about it and what I was able to find on the net and also that I don't seem to ever have the issue of bleeding and he told me not to worry about it but doesn't know anything about it or whether it will cause me to be booted from DEP but I was wondering how long the blood test results take and what all is tested for. I've been able to find out that HIV and anemia are both tested for but does anyone know if this is something they test for and if it really can cause me to be disqualified?

Thanks

yellowwing
02-15-05, 01:42 PM
I'm glad you told your Recruiter. He'll do everything he can legally do to get you a training spot. Meanwhile keep up your PT and knowledge studies.

FullMetalJacket
02-15-05, 04:40 PM
I had that same disorder but not anymore. None of the physicians there ever say someone outgrowing that disorder so hope mind over matters will end that disorder for you.They will take blood from you and do some sort of test for coagulation I think. I do not remember clearly on how they did they test. Test results, it depends. I didnt find out for a few weeks. It took somwhere around a month. Just hope that you will not DQed.

getmeoutofmt
02-15-05, 04:48 PM
Thanks yellowwing and FullMetalJacket.

FullMetalJacket, did they disqualify you? I'm going to talk to my recruiter again and see what he can do for me so hopefully they won't boot me out. :(

FullMetalJacket
02-15-05, 05:27 PM
Nope, didnt disqaulify me. Didnt have a bleeding disorder when I enlisted so I didnt say anything.

getmeoutofmt
02-15-05, 06:34 PM
FullMetalJacket: so you had it as a child but got tests done before enlisting and the symptoms weren't present anymore?

I really have no idea what to do, I'm not sure how bad I have it if I do since mine I believe was not as mild as most cases of Type I. I just don't want to get to basic and then after the blood test results come back find out they are going to ship me right back home after wasting all that time to find out. =/

FullMetalJacket
02-15-05, 07:06 PM
When is your shipdate? If it is not mild, then just hope that it will end.

getmeoutofmt
02-15-05, 07:09 PM
Sept 07. I don't think mine will just end, I guess I'll try to get ahold of the tests and see what all they said when I had it done. :(

FullMetalJacket
02-15-05, 07:53 PM
I wish you the best of luck with this.

Arlene Horton
02-15-05, 09:42 PM
How did you find out about the Von Willebrand's syndrome? It is a bleeding disorder which generally causes hemorrhaging when surgical procedures are done, including pulling teeth. The test isn't earthshaking...takes about 30 to 45 minutes usually. A small incision is made on the inside of your forearm and at specific intervals the technician will apply a "blotter" to the wound and record the time. Then after a number of seconds the wound is blotted again. This continues until the wound stops bleeding. Usually anything under nine minutes (depending on what authority is used) the test is considered unremarkable. I think I can answer this with "authority" since I am a retired R.N. who has a "varient of Von Willebrand's". It's a varient because I don't always hemorrhage. If it does happen they usually hook up an I.V of fresh frozen plasma or matching blood type to control it. My son has it and his bleeding time the last time it was taken was 24 minutes. This isn't something that is usually tested for unless there is a family or personal history of uncontrolled bleeding or of hemorrhage. Hope this clears it for you. Good luck and Semper Fi Arlene

getmeoutofmt
02-15-05, 11:02 PM
Arlene Horton: I used to have uncontrollable nosebleeds and very frequent, daily at least, when I was younger, about 10 years ago IIRC. My mom, a R.N., took me to get some tests done and I believe that is when they figured out I had von Willebrands. I guess there is a history of this in my family since my mother I'm told almost bled to death when she gave birth to me. I do have a scar on my right arm from when they did the blood clot time test. I don't really know if I have von Willebrands anymore but I have not received any major cuts or been through any major surgery except for my wisdom teeth being pulled, which I believe they had to put some gel things into the holes and only were able to pull 2 teeth at each instance, about 1-2 months between each pull. About a week ago was when I was reminded of having it, since nothing major has happened to me for so long it basically has gone unnoticed and I'm not sure if it is still a major issue with me.
I guess I'll talk to my recruiter about all this and see what he can do and get ahold of my doctor and see what he says.