PDA

View Full Version : Marine earns scholarship to be kicker for junior college

thedrifter
02-12-05, 09:27 AM
Marine earns scholarship to be kicker for junior college
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification #: 200521015466
Story by Staff Sgt. Jason J. Bortz

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (Feb. 10, 2005) -- Signing day! All across the nation, top high school athletes are signing their letters of intent with colleges to play football. Sport analysts are scrambling to come up with lists of the best athletes, the diamonds in the rough and the can't miss players. One person not getting a lot of attention is Lance Cpl. David Tanner, an administration clerk with 2nd Recruit Training Battalion.

Last week, Tanner signed a letter of intent with Mesabi Range Community and Technical College, a junior college in Virginia, Minn., to be a kicker. Tanner said he will receive a two- year football scholarship that will cover all of his classes and boarding, and he will use his Montgomery G.I. Bill to cover extra costs such as books.

Tanner joined the Marine Corps on June 18, 2001, despite being offered football scholarships from Southern Mississippi University and a small Division III school.

"I wasn't ready for school yet," said Tanner, "I wanted to [join] the Marine Corps first."

Football has been a part of Tanner's life since he was little, but so has the military.

"I have a lot of family in the military," said the Pensacola, Fla., native. "I have one uncle in the Marine Corps and another one in the Air Force who is about to become a [brigadier general]. It's [the Marine Corps] just something I've wanted to do since I was a kid."

With the support of his family, even from his Dad who is a huge football fan, Tanner enlisted in the Marine Corps.

During his time in the Marine Corps, Tanner has stayed active in football by playing intramural flag football, kicking as much as he can and by attending football camps.

Last November, Tanner attended a kicking camp in Florida to see if he could still compete. At the camp, Tanner was video taped and graded on how he did at kicking field goals and punting. After the camp, he sent his grades to Mesabi Range, where one of his friends was attending, and three days later he got a call that the school was interested.

"I wanted to go to a [junior college] because it is smaller and I haven't played football in a while," said Tanner, who hopes to earn a degree in radio broadcasting or education. "From there I plan on attending a Division I big school."

Tanner will leave the Marine Corps in May and will start college in July.

"I have really enjoyed the Marine Corps," said Tanner, who plans on continuing his Marine Corps career in the reserves. "I learned a lot, especially about myself. I just feel more prepared [for college] and I wouldn't change the path I took. I really want to thank my command. They were very supportive and gave me a lot of great advice."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2005210154846/$file/tanner(L).jpg

Lance Cpl. David Tanner, an administrative clerk with 2nd RTBn., practices kicking field goals at the Parris Island Sports Complex Feb. 4. Tanner signed a letter of intent to play football for Mesabi Range Community and Technical College, a junior college in Virginia, Minn.
Photo by: Staff Sgt. Jason J. Bortz

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie