PDA

View Full Version : Body of Marine killed in Vietnam found 40 years later

thedrifter
02-10-05, 07:56 PM
Body of marine killed in vietnam found 40 years later

PEARL RIVER, N.Y. A Rockland County Marine's body is recovered almost 40 years later in Vietnam.

Irene Healea says she was told in early January that the body of her brother, Heinz Ahlmeyer, had been found.

The Pearl River native was killed in action May tenth, 1967, one day into his tour of duty. Only a few months before, Ahlmeyer had graduated from the State University of New York at New Paltz.

Irene Healea says her brother's body was found with three other Marines' remains. One of the survivors of the mission says the team was overtaken by the North Vietnamese Army.

Three of the men were extracted by helicopter.

At a date to be determined, this spring, friends, family, and SUNY New Paltz representatives will take part in a group service for the Marines at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

(Christopher McHugh, WRNN-TV, Kingston)

Ellie

Welcome home

Rest In Peace

greensideout
02-10-05, 09:33 PM
May 10th 1967, a brother dies in the hell hole called Vietnam.

After 40 years--- What went wrong? We don't leave our own behind.

Danceing in the streets---shouting, "We won't go". Drugs and music to bend the mind.

40 years, what went wrong?

God rest his soul!

yellowwing
02-10-05, 10:06 PM
No I wasn't there. I was trained and led by Viet Nam Veterans.

One of our Gunnery Sergeants had run in the Marine Corps Marathon. I was buddies with one of our Corpsman and hanging out with him, when the Gunny stopped by for an unofficial check up.

As the Doc was checking him out, Gunny was telling us about the Marathon and visit to DC. He had stopped by the Wall and made a charcoal rubbing of the name of one of his best friends.

Gunny pulled the rubbing out of his pocket he tried to tell us about him. But the tears stopped his voice up. There was only that Marine Corps bond as we both held his hand as he let it out.