PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Soldier's Uniform Hangs From Noose In Front Of Home

thedrifter
02-10-05, 09:59 AM
U.S. Soldier's Uniform Hangs From Noose In Front Of Home

POSTED: 10:58 am EST February 9, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Nestled in a quiet Sacramento neighborhood is a very loud political statement that is testing the very foundation of the right to free speech.

Hanging from a house in Land Park a soldier's uniform in a noose dangles from a rooftop. The words "your tax dollars at work" are scrolled across the chest.

In this community, this homeowners' view of the war in Iraq has not gone unnoticed.

"I think it's the ultimate sign of disrespect. We have troops dying for us," Land Park resident Mark Cohen said.

"(I'm) annoyed and disgusted. I think if this is the way someone feels they can find a better way to vent their opinions," Land Park resident Pete Miles said.

The homeowners behind the controversy are Steve and Virginia Pearcy. They released a statement saying, "There will always be people who are offended by political speech, and the most important forum of all ... is one's own residence. The First Amendment is meaningless unless dissent is allowed."

Some neighbors agree.

"Even if you don't agree with it, he has the right to state his opinion. I don't find it offensive at all," Land Park resident Cece Williams said.

The tension in the neighborhood has escalated into more than just a political feud.

The matter has been reported to the police department and to the city attorney. The City Council has even heard about it, but said they can't solve the problem.

"Unfortunately or fortunately, this is protected speech by the First Amendment ... so there is nothing we can do about it," Sacramento City Councilman Rob Fong said.

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0209/4181413_200X150.jpg

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0209/4181411_200X150.jpg

Do You Find Display Offensive?

Ellie

yellowwing
02-10-05, 10:13 AM
Disgusting and pretty un-f*cking appreciative. There is an online poll on the NBC News Page (http://www.nbc17.com/news/4181394/detail.html).

Koble_USMC
02-10-05, 10:20 AM
I hope these types of people dont reproduce.......

LT

jinelson
02-10-05, 10:22 AM
And wouldnt you know it this is happening in my state. Maybe now you all will have a better idea of the liberal mindset that is all over this place. Sacramento is not known for this extreme type of demonstration though and I would expect it more from Berkeley. This is very reminiscent of the Vietnam War period. I am severely out numbered out here send in an extraction or reinforcements .

Sempers
Jim

tasslehof
02-10-05, 11:00 AM
As much as I loathe admitting it, and despite the fact that I personally think they are a couple of idiots, all of us back to the beginning served to ensure that even the idiots can have their say. I see this bit of news on several gun boards I frequent and most there are just livid about it, some even believe that these folks should be shutdown etc. Or shot down either way. LOL But we have to remember that if we take away their right to speak their opinion even though it is an abhorrent one..that we hurt the rights of all of us and make useless the blood our brothers have spilled to give them that right.

scopekill26
02-10-05, 11:10 AM
Keep your heads up Marines!!!

Above all remember that this is one civilians oppinion, and they do not fully understand the sacrifices that are being made for their freedom!

Proud to serve...........:marine:

mrbsox
02-10-05, 11:22 AM
I have to agree, that we ALL serve(d), so that their right to do just this is preserved. It is part of the essence of OUR Constitution.

It's too bad that they don't realize that they are spurning the very system that 'supports and defends' their right to do so. Are they breaking any LAWS would be the question. I'm not sure if stuffing MY Flag into the uniform like that is a violation of the Flag code or not.

Narrow minded people... intent upon their own justification, instead of the common good.

Am I happy about it .... HE!! NO.
Will I defend their right to do what they see fit on their own property... YES.
Would I like to meet them in a dark alley one evening... YES.

Terry

Land of the free... BECAUSE of the Brave !! :marine:

Osotogary
02-10-05, 12:17 PM
Sacramento? Someone should move the Capitol back to Stockton. I wonder if those folks would like likeness's of themselves hung out of everyone's window with the same words attached? A tit- for-tat. First Amendment rights for all.

CplCrotty
02-10-05, 01:03 PM
Hey, I'm offended. Maybe I should contact the ACLU and sue. God knows that's what these m@&*@%f*@&$&# do when the shoe is on the other foot.

USMC-FO
02-10-05, 02:22 PM
I agree it is very offensive.... But seems to me completely within their rights to do. Can't have it both ways we either have this level of freedom of expression/speech or you don't. I happen to believe and support free speech no matter how outrageous or offensive. Of course I would encourage others to stand around in front of the house and support contrary points of view too. I can also appreciate how many would like to meet these folks off site and express your/our contrary points with much vigor....

vfm
02-10-05, 02:56 PM
This display is totally disgusting . A better show of our tax dollars at work are the pictures of the Iraqi people on 30 January 05 showing the purple ink on their fingers signifying their voting.
SEMPER FI!!!
vfm

B A Hall
02-10-05, 04:51 PM
Somebody needs to torch the house.The F#$&&%#@@ Idiot.

Nagalfar
02-10-05, 05:34 PM
The absolute worst part about freedom has to be the fact, the very best give their blood, sweat, and lives to protect what at times can only be described as the very worst scum freedom can produce, I have no problem with free speach, I have a problem with morons total and complete lack of respect for things a great many of us hold very dear to get nothing more than a shock effect, I say they want shock effect.. OK let them have it, FIX BAYONETS!

Sgted
02-10-05, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by vfm
This display is totally disgusting . A better show of our tax dollars at work are the pictures of the Iraqi people on 30 January 05 showing the purple ink on their fingers signifying their voting.
SEMPER FI!!!
vfm

This is what we need to focus on.
The display is disgusting, even more so because it is a reflection of a soldier. There are less offensive ways to express ones sentiments.

Still....it is an example of America and its freedoms paid for by all who have gone before us.

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 11:25 PM
I don't give a crap about free speech! That display is a total sign of disrespect. That really ****es me off because my brothers and sisters are over there dying to protect dirtbags like this. Next time I go visit my parents I think I'll take a little trip! That crap belongs in the garbage. Stay up my fellow Marines.

scopekill26
02-11-05, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a mission.............................:evilgrin:

DanBO
02-11-05, 03:04 PM
I saw on the news this morning that some passer-by pulled it down and walked off with the uniform. I guess he couldn't put up with it any longer.

"Semper Fi Mac"

yellowwing
02-11-05, 04:09 PM
:banana:

Residents Tear Down War Protest Display
February 9, 2005
Fox40 KTLX Sacramento (http://fox40.trb.com/news/ktxl-020905soldier,0,354910.story?coll=ktxl-news-3)
...Homeowner Steve Pearcy e-mailed FOX40 News his reason for putting up the display: "The effigy portrays the truth, i.e.,that our tax dollars are being used to send Americans to Iraq to die."

Another man was riding his motorcycle when he decided to stop and do something about the rest of the display, the soldier's hanging pants. So he took them down, and grabbed the torso and took off.

We asked him what he'd like to tell Steve Pearcy. His response: "Words wouldn't do it."

:banana: :marine:

HardJedi
02-11-05, 04:36 PM
Good for the biker!

jinelson
02-11-05, 04:41 PM
God Bless Him!

mrbsox
02-11-05, 04:55 PM
NEWS FLASH

This just in.....

FREEBIRD rides to California !!
Receives standing ovation from America !!

:marine:

R.Linde
02-12-05, 05:11 PM
Try that sh*t in my town!

R.Linde
02-12-05, 05:13 PM
thanks for the AMERICAN that fixed that , the other post was for the idiot who set up the display

Expert_Rifleman
02-12-05, 05:39 PM
Ok... this is in Sacramento California... does it say what the address is or does any one know any web site that is posting this persons address?

Expert_Rifleman
02-12-05, 05:44 PM
three words.... foreign and DOMESTIC...

woodman
02-12-05, 08:32 PM
The bikers drinks are on me ! Now if the distrought homeowner would just happen to put the noose around his neck and jump.

GunnyL
02-12-05, 09:59 PM
I say do a drive by with a MK19!

GunnyL

jinelson
02-12-05, 10:01 PM
Get Some FREEBIRD

thedrifter
02-15-05, 04:04 PM
Anti-War Protest Includes 'Hanging' of US Soldier
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
February 15, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - A couple who hanged a U.S. soldier in effigy outside their home is the talk of Sacramento, most of it unflattering.

Conservative radio host Mark Williams of KFBK-Sacramento, in conjunction with the group Move America Forward, is organizing a candlelight vigil on Tuesday night to support U.S. troops and protest the anti-war display outside the home of Steve and Virginia Pearcy.

The anti-war display includes a "stuffed" soldier hanging from the eaves of the house along with a sign that reads, "Bush Lied, I Died." A Palestinian flag is draped in one window of the home; and an Iraqi flag hangs in another window.

This is second time the Pearcys have hanged a U.S. soldier in effigy, Move America Forward said. The first soldier held a sign reading, "Your Tax Dollars at Work," but that "soldier" was ripped down last week.

"There are those who will stoop to any level to bring attention to a hateful agenda that undermines our heroic men and women in the armed forces," said Move America Forward Co-Chair Melanie Morgan.

"While the families of men and women serving in our armed forces are praying for their safety, they have to tolerate this cruel display. But those who support our troops and their brave fight against the threats of terrorism also enjoy the right to free speech, and we will exercise that right," Morgan added.

The Sacramento Bee quoted the Pearcys as saying they consider the display patriotic. They call it "political protest art," and they note that the First Amendment is intended to protect unpopular speech -- because that's what needs protecting.

The newspaper said the Pearcys, both lawyers, are known for displaying political signs at their Sacramento home, where they live part time.

"Steve and Virginia Pearcy have shown the true colors of the 'Blame America First' movement," said Howard Kaloogian, Move America Forward's other co-chairman.

"They are not sympathetic to the struggles our soldiers face, but instead sympathize with those who threaten America's interests."

All Americans want the troops to come home safely, Kaloogian said. "The difference is that those of us who support our troops and their mission want to see them come home victorious, which is obviously not the desire of Mr.and Mrs. Pearcy."

Neighbors on either side of the Pearcys are flying American flags, Move America Forward noted.

Move America Forward says it was founded last year to support U.S. troops.

Ellie

woodman
02-15-05, 05:41 PM
It would be great if ALL the people who disagree with these scumbags to hold a nightly vigil infront of their house until the display is taken down. It would also be ironic if their pictures were posted through out the city on flyers identifying them as the scum that they are. A few calls to their employers might be in order and the names of the employers released to the media to too see if they value their financial well being enough to jeopardize it. I know this may sound radical but this is EXACTLY what the liberals do to conservatives EVERYDAY.:mad:

scopekill26
02-17-05, 03:22 PM
I wonder what they would say if a Marine knocked on their door,
and (asked) them to take it down. If we can get Sadams statue down in his country, why do we have to tolerate this display in our own!!!!

eddief
02-17-05, 05:00 PM
We have to tolerate it because freedom of speech is meant to protect unpopular speech. Popular speech needs no constitutional protection.

HardJedi
02-17-05, 05:04 PM
EDDIEF is BACK! WEEE!

eddief
02-17-05, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by woodman
It would be great if ALL the people who disagree with these scumbags to hold a nightly vigil infront of their house until the display is taken down. It would also be ironic if their pictures were posted through out the city on flyers identifying them as the scum that they are. A few calls to their employers might be in order and the names of the employers released to the media to too see if they value their financial well being enough to jeopardize it. I know this may sound radical but this is EXACTLY what the liberals do to conservatives EVERYDAY.:mad:

Why do you want to stoop to liberal tactics? Don't you want to be better than your ideological enemies?

eddief
02-17-05, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
EDDIEF is BACK! WEEE!

Thanks for the welcome back. I missed posting here. I still lurked though from time to time to read what you leathernecks were up to.

Cole11
02-17-05, 07:03 PM
i about puked in my mouth when i saw that picture, someone going out of their way, to disrespect the military

woodman
02-19-05, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by eddief

Why do you want to stoop to liberal tactics? Don't you want to be better than your ideological enemies?

It's called turning the tables not stooping to their level. The liberals use this tactic for one reason.
1) It is affective.

Improvise, overcome, adapt

It is adapting to the world around you, taking something that works and using it to your advantage. would you not use a cell phone because that's how terrorists communicate? At one time in history snipers were viewed negatively. Does that mean that carlos hathcock stooped ?
:marine:

P. M. SHEEHAN
02-23-05, 09:41 AM
My husband and I are deeply offended. I don't know what he'd do if we lived in Sacramento. I kind of view the hanging soldier effigy as a sort of "Christ figure". "Forgive them, Father, they know not what they do"!

jinelson
02-23-05, 10:39 AM
Couple put up new anti-Bush window sign <br />
Land Park display shows a flag-type map being flushed. <br />
By Christina Jewett -- Bee Staff Writer <br />
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, February 23, 2005 <br />
<br />
One...

eddief
02-23-05, 12:23 PM
LMAO at the lady who tried to file hate crime charges. That's ridiculous. You know if these people who are up in arms just ignored the display it would go away. These people want attention, and Move...

ForceReconSSgt
02-23-05, 06:23 PM
I dont like to see this kind of stuff around our beloved country but this is what we fight for. Freedom. It does however upset me to think that even though people dont like the war they dont stand behind the men and women that dont give it a second thought.

Semper Fi Marines!

greensideout
02-23-05, 06:35 PM
Semper Fi to you as well ForceReconSSgt!

Welcome aboard Marine.