PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Plans Major Patch Day on February 8

thedrifter
02-08-05, 07:36 PM
Microsoft Plans Major Patch Day on February 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Biggest Patch Tuesday in months will include fixes for Windows, Windows Media Player, and Office, among others

Stacy Cowley, IDG News Service
Friday, February 04, 2005

Microsoft is expected to release 13 new security patches on Tuesday, February 8, including several "critical" updates.

The release, part of Microsoft's regularly scheduled monthly security update, is the company's biggest patch roundup in months. Included will be nine Windows updates, with at least one rated "critical." Also in the update bundle will be a "moderate-risk" update for Microsoft's SharePoint Services and Office; a .Net framework update rated "important"; a "critical" update affecting Office and Visual Studio; and a "critical" update affecting Windows, Windows Media Player, and MSN Messenger.

Microsoft announced the number of planned patches in a security bulletin advance-notification message posted to its TechNet Web site. The company has adopted a schedule of releasing security patches in batches on the second Tuesday of each month.

Details of this month's patches will be available when they are released on Tuesday. Microsoft will host a Webcast at 11 a.m. Pacific Time Wednesday to outline technical details of the updates, followed by a question-and-answer session. This month's Webcast has been extended by an hour to allow extra question-and-answer time.

Ellie

I did mine...I had 10

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

greensideout
02-08-05, 07:51 PM
Good scoop Ellie. Thanks.

I have however, always wondered if the guy creating the virius is in the same cube with the guy that makes the patch? A lot of money is spent trying to block this stuff---and a lot of money is being made by virius protection softwear. Just a thought.

Wyoming
02-09-05, 04:54 AM
I did mine...I had 10

Me too.

Did it on DSL.

The dial-up folks better get a cup of coffee and be prepared to sit a while.

LivinSoFree
02-09-05, 05:14 AM
Questions/Comments/Concerns? I'm a data geek in civvie life, and this kind of helpdesk/userlevel stuff is what I do all day to pay my tuition... I'm always available to help this motley crew out.