PDA

View Full Version : Earl Patch honors one of it's FALLEN

booksbenji
02-07-05, 06:59 PM
:(

OHS band to play song for fallen Marine
By Ginger Pope

Odessa American
Not many teachers have the chance to immortalize a favorite student.This spring the Odessa High School band under the direction of Bill Harden, will premier a compilation in honor of fallen Marine and OHS graduate Daniel Amaya.

“I thought this would be a way to memorialize him,” Harden said of the piece, “I’ll Simply Sleep in Peace,” he commissioned in Amaya’s memory.

Marine Cpl. Daniel Amaya died April 11, 2004, from hostile fire in Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was 22. Amaya’s mother Kacey Carpenter said she is touched by the honor.

“I’m honored. I’m thrilled that Dan has not been forgotten,” Carpenter said. “Really my greatest fear is that he’ll just be a memory.” Amaya’s 23rd birthday would have been today.
Harden said the piece was composed by Fred Allen of Stephen F. Austin University. He said he asked that the piece showcase the euphonium, an instrument that Amaya played when he was in the OHS band.

The piece begins with a baritone solo and ends with the soloist walking off stage, leaving the chair empty. The music is also based on “Oh Danny Boy,” a song that Carpenter often shared with her son when he was a boy.Harden said he is not sure he’ll be able to direct the band during that song, but that someone will.

“When Dan was killed it was a rough time,” Harden said. “When he was a student here, he would come in and say ‘I’m here — we can start now.’ I knew him from seventh grade on.”
Students Jessica Rodriguez and Estephan Quintela, both seniors, said it is an honor to play the piece, even though they didn’t know Amaya.

“It’s not just any ordinary piece, we’re playing this for someone,” Quintela said. “It means so much more because it’s someone who gave his life for our country.”

Quintela said he plays the same instrument Amaya did — just five years later. Amaya graduated from OHS in 2000.
Rodriguez said playing the piece will be tough.

“It’s a little emotional,” Rodriguez said. “It reminds me of my uncle, who is in the Air Force.”Harden said in addition to honoring a former student and friend, the OHS band has the exciting opportunity to be the first to ever play the piece.
Quintela agreed.

“For us to play the world premier, that is something to remember,” he said.

:marine:

thedrifter
02-07-05, 07:21 PM
Rest In Peace

Ellie

B A Hall
02-07-05, 09:00 PM
Another Marine for God to hold.Bless the family and Semper Fi.