PDA

View Full Version : 8 million Iraqis can't be wrong

thedrifter
02-06-05, 10:09 AM
8 million Iraqis can't be wrong

By Ann Coulter
Sunday, February 6, 2005

In one of the grandest events in the history of the world, millions of Iraqis risked death last Sunday to vote in a free, democratic election. There were more than 100 attacks on polling stations by the Islamic fascists. But the Iraqis voted -- Shia, Sunnis, women and an estimated 2,000 dead felons in Washington state.
Democrats haven't been this depressed since we captured Saddam Hussein.

On "Meet the Press," the Sen. John Kerry questioned the election's legitimacy. He warned Americans not to "overhype this election." Word apparently didn't get out to the Iraqis, who were dancing and singing in the streets.

Kerry's main advice to Bush was to reach out to the French. Curiously, this is also the Democrats' plan for fixing Social Security, dealing with North Korea and controlling the budget deficit.

Most amusingly, Kerry repeatedly quoted himself: "You may recall that back in -- well, there's no reason you would -- but back in Fulton, Mo., during the campaign, I laid out four steps ..." (at that point the cameraman nodded off and NBC abruptly cut to color bars).

I remember what Kerry said during the campaign! What he and his fellow Democrat towel-biters said was that this election wasn't going to happen.

Kerry specifically addressed the scheduled Iraqi elections in his closing statement at the first presidential debate: "They can't have an election right now. The president's not getting the job done." (Kerry's a genius! He won the debate!)

A few weeks later, campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill said it wasn't safe enough to have elections. "The Kerry plan," Cahill said, "would be to have an international consensus, not to go it alone, to get other countries into Iraq with us, so that we could carry out elections and we could move Iraq to be a free nation."

And yet we somehow managed to have a free election in Iraq -- without the French.

Said Democrat moneyman George Soros in a speech to the National Press Club last fall: "All my experience ... has taught me that democracy cannot be imposed by military means." (But see: Germany, Japan, Nicaragua, Afghanistan and El Salvador.) Of course Soros' "experience" consists mostly of liberating billions of dollars from the captivity of other people's bank accounts. He's a regular Douglas MacArthur, that Soros guy.

Expressing his faith in the Iraqi people, Soros continued: "Iraq would be the last place I would choose for an experiment in introducing democracy."

All those blue-inked fingers were the Iraqi people giving Soros the finger.

In October, Nicholas Lemann was a whirlwind of bad news about Iraq, writing in The New Yorker: "The U.S. military in Iraq has started trying to take back areas of the country now controlled by insurgents, and it may not be safe enough there for the scheduled elections to be held in January."

Somehow he failed to add, "Also, by mid-March live rhesus monkeys may be flying out of my butt."

Amid his litany of bad news, Lemann said: "It is difficult to find anybody in Washington, in either party, who will seriously defend Bush's management of Iraq."

Fortunately, Sunday last, President Bush found 8 million people -- outside of Washington -- to seriously defend his management of Iraq.

Ann Coulter, a lawyer and political analyst, is a columnist for Human Events.

Ellie