PDA

View Full Version : Pulling himself up the ranks - communications sergeant sets his sights high

thedrifter
02-06-05, 09:37 AM
Pulling himself up the ranks - communications sergeant sets his sights high

Submitted by: 2nd Marine Division
Story Identification #: 20052315354
Story by Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Feb 3, 2005) -- Many Marines have had the rare opportunity to take a holiday in the civilian world – a chance to see how life flows outside the Marine Corps. Some Marines like Sgt. John D. Irwin, a field radioman with 2nd Tank Battalion here, find the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

“I was a reservist for eight years when I decided to try something else. I got a bachelor’s degree in accounting and an associate’s degree in business but it didn’t work out,” the 27-year-old from Warner Robins, Ga. said. “You can’t find the stability the military offers anywhere else.”

Irwin wasn’t sure if the Marines were the choice he wanted to make again. With his degree he had his sights set on a commission, and a few services were eager to give it to him.

“I spent about five minutes in the Army recruiter’s office and they were about ready to pin lieutenant bars on me then and there,” Irwin said with a smile. “I realized I’d rather be a corporal in the Marine Corps than a colonel in the Army any day of the week.”

Knowing he wanted to try the Marines again was just the first step for Irwin’s re-entry into the military, though.

“They gave me five choices for jobs I wanted to do,” Irwin recalled. “Being a field radioman wasn’t one of them.”

When fate put the Warner Robins High School graduate in the radio field, he took it by the reins and ran with it.

“When he first got here he didn’t know anything about radios. As a sergeant it’s his job to know what he’s doing so he worked twice as hard to get caught up,” Lance Cpl. Orlando A. Torres said. Torres is a native of Port Chester, N.Y. and a radioman with Irwin’s unit. He added, “You could show him something one day and he would know it inside and out the day after that. He’s a very quick learner.”

Irwin attributes his learning skills to his desire to lead the Marines in his unit.

“I run into some trouble because most Marines my age are staff sergeants or higher. It’s a little harder relating to 18 and 19-year-olds but you still have to find a way,” he said. “It’s also interesting to have lance corporals teaching me what they know, but it’s good to see the unit is taking care of its own people.”

Torres and other Marines in the unit are taking advantage of Irwin’s accounting skills. In addition to being tax-savvy, the 6-foot-2-inch tall Marine is also knowledgeable about the money market.

“Some of these guys have $5,000 just sitting in a bank account,” Irwin said, an expression of concern in his green eyes. “Every day that money isn’t in a mutual fund or a Roth Individual Retirement Account it’s being wasted.”

Second Tank Battalion’s communications platoon has scheduled Irwin to be trained at their formal school later this month, giving him the same knowledge as the Marines who have trained him thus far. Until then, his plans are to work on his package to become an officer.

“I’m planning to go as far as I can in the Marine Corps, whether it’s the enlisted or the officer side,” he said. He added, “No matter what happens, I’m glad to be here and I’ll have a good time no matter where the Corps takes me.”

Ellie

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200523153724/$file/irwin1-lowres.jpg

Sergeant John D. Irwin couldn't operate a radio to save his life just a year ago. Now he is the radio cheif for 2d Tank Battalion's communications platoon. The Warner Robins, Ga. native came back into the Marine corps after a year's hiatus because of the job stability and chance to lead junior Marines. He plans on using his bachelor's degree to advance into the officer ranks this year. Photo by: Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

LivinSoFree
02-06-05, 10:04 AM
Not a CommDog, but attached to a Comm unit. You learn fast in the field, and that's no joke!