PDA

View Full Version : Drill Instructor Teaches Poolees the Basics

thedrifter
02-05-05, 02:02 PM
Drill Instructor Teaches Poolees the Basics
Submitted by: 1st Marine Corps District
Story Identification #: 2005241590
Story by Staff Sgt. Nathan L. Hanks and Sgt. Eric Kowal

COLTS NECK, N.J. (Jan. 8, 2005) -- Approximately 30 female poolees throughout Recruiting Station New Jersey gathered to learn more of the basics about recruit training at the gym on Naval Weapons Station Earle, recently.

Staff Sgt. Latisha S. Franklin, drill instructor, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C., was brought in to talk about the rigorous training and what is expected of them during recruit training.

“We wanted to recreate the atmosphere here, so that the poolees could experience first hand what it will be like once they are at recruit training. What better way to do this than to have someone who does this on a daily basis; a drill instructor,” said Gunnery Sgt. Evan Jones, poolee coordinator, RS New Jersey. “This also gave the poolees a chance to ask questions, learn and interact with the drill instructor.”

The day began with an introduction and speech by Major Richard E. Luehrs II, commanding officer, RS N.J. and Sgt. Maj. Ray Centeno, sergeant major for RS N.J. to both the poolees and their families. Centeno then introduced Franklin to the poolees and then said, “drill instructor, you’ve got ‘em!”

Franklin’s mad minute had begun. In a panic, with sweat and loud screams of “yes, no” and “aye, aye ma’am” which could be heard a mile away, the poolees hurried to get in formation. Within a blink of an eye, Franklin had 30 bodies standing at attention ready and waiting for further instruction.

Franklin, a native of Sayreville, N.J., first introduced the future Marines to some of the basic drill movements taught to all recruits such as right face, left face and about face. After attempting to march in formation for the first time, Franklin turned the poolees over to Jones then led the poolees in Marine Corps style warm-up exercises.

Once the exercises were completed, Centeno led the poolees on a formation run around the weapons station as Franklin called cadence. After returning back to the gym and doing some cool down exercises, the poolees were given a class on how to properly disassemble and reassemble the M-16 A2 service rifle. Franklin talked each and every poolee through the process, but not before everyone ensured that they understood the safety rules that apply whenever handling a weapon.

At the end of the day, the poolees were given a class on how to properly heat a field ration meal known as Meals Ready to Eat. After the meal, the poolees then witnessed their first Marine Corps awards ceremony. Luehrs presented Franklin with a letter of appreciation for her conducting the female poolee meeting.

“The attendance rate was phenomenal,” Jones said. “The poolees were motivated and enthusiastic about the training. I was truly impressed with Staff Sgt. Franklin in how professional she was when instructing the poolees.”

For one poolee, Heeral Mody, a senior at Garfield High School, the drill instructor provided her the motivation she was looking for. Mody was recruited by Sgt. Elijah M. Valimont, canvassing recruiter, Recruiting Substation Ridgewood. RS N.J.

“I was hesitant about boot camp before this poolee meeting,” Mody said.
According to Mody, the letters she received have kept her going but it was the drill instructor that has increased her motivation level tremendously. “This was the lift I needed,” she said. “Because of the poolee meeting, I am more determined to make it now more than ever….I know that I can make it.

Jones also stated that the desired result of preparing these young females for recruit training was most certainly accomplished.

When Franklin was asked what she wanted them to take away from the poolee meeting, she had this to say.

“I wanted all of the poolees to remember why they wanted to join the Corps and to keep the desire and motivation to become a Marine,” she said. “They should always give 110 percent towards everything that they do during recruit training and the drill instructors will not let them fail themselves. There will be rumors of wars and other discouraging things about joining the military, but the poolees must make their own decisions and stick with it.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20052415268/$file/DI22alow.jpg

Approximately 30 female poolees throughout Recruiting Station New Jersey gathered to learn more of the basics about recruit training at the gym on Naval Weapons Station Earle. Photo by: Sgt. Eric Kowal

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200524152318/$file/Di20alow.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20052415367/$file/Di27alow.jpg

Staff Sergeant Latisha S. Franklin, drill instructor, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C., demonstrates how to properly disassemble the M-16A2 Service Rifle to the female poolees at the gym aboard Naval Weapons Station Earle in Colts Neck, New Jersey.
Photo by: Sgt. Eric Kowal

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie