PDA

View Full Version : Time to help ME again!

HardJedi
02-03-05, 09:29 PM
then again, isn't that what time it ALWAYS is with me? So anywya, here's the deal.

I am taking psycology this semester, and I have to get up and give a presentation on somthing we either have or are going to cover in class. I have decided to do somehing on how and why people register pain. (kinda)

Now, as Marines, we all KNOW what pain is, some of us more than others, but we also know how to shunt it aside when needed. What I am going to try and make a point of in my presentation is that physical pain is almost always psycological. To I don't really have to prove this, just give some examples that support my point.

What I would like help with, if you Guy's and Gals are willing is stories in which Marines overcame a great deal of physical pain that they didn't HAVE to do. Or for that matter that they didn't even FEEL until later. Heres and example.

In infanty school, ( some of you have heard this before) during the 20 mile grad hump, I felt a sharp pain in my leg, about 5 miles in, fell down, saw my platoon pulling away, so I got back up and ran to catch up. I finished the hump, with only what I thought was the NORMAL discomfort of a 20 mile humpt through mountains( you know what I mean). When we finished, my leg completely gave out on me, and I collapsed. Taken to the hospital, it was found that i had SEVERAL stress fractures in my leg, and it had to be put in a cast.

So my mind successfuly shut off the pain because I had soomething that I HAD to and WANTED to do. See what i mean? ( by contrast, if you take me to the dentist, and they pull out that dang needle, I'll almost freak from fear of THAT pain LMAO)

so could some of you share similar stories about either yourself or those you knew who should not have been able to go on because of the pain, but did it anyway? Can be stories of combat, training, sports, personal, whatever. I would appriciate it.

and on the plus side to the site in general, I think there will be some good stories about sacrifice and fulfilling your duty for some of the younger Marines and poolees to hear.

Many thanks in advance Marines.

Semper Fi'

thedrifter
02-03-05, 09:46 PM
Well what I can remember I had pain 4 times in my Life...giving birth to my 4 Brats....I do have to say, I did make sure Roger felt that pain too.....:D

I wouldn't change that moment....I have four Great Children

Ellie

HardJedi
02-03-05, 09:51 PM
well, very true, Ellie, if most women couldn't get through that one, guess we'd ALL be only children ;)

yellowwing
02-03-05, 10:04 PM
The usual reveille drill was just a flick of the squadbay light, and we'd all instantly bolt out of the rack to the 'on line' positions. Mine was the top rack, and I'd throw my arm out to the opposing rack to dismount and rush on line with everyone else to count off.

Late one afternoon, our Drill Instructor was training us on how to properly move our racks from one end of the squad bay to the other. It took us maggots about a dozen times for us to get the method down correctly. Then we realigned our racks to the proper order.

But the next morning after our rack moving training, the opposing rack was just a little farther away than I was used to. I ended up cracking my skull on the opposing rack!

I staggered on line through those dark purple spots and severe pain. Luckily I had my 'number' memorized when we counted off. I completed the day's training.

It wasn't until the next day that I had to go to sick call. It turned out that I had a mild concussion!

booksbenji
02-03-05, 10:05 PM
:marine:

med rehad. That was from 3 yrs in the oilfeild before I enter and I still have with messed up knees:

http://mywesttexas.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=10316984&thispage=1

Worked some 35 yrs and in the last yrs 4 knees gave way. I still walk with pain and endure with the help of Bud and Bro jim beam, and some pill from the VA.

Being German and Irish, MARINE and been told that NO BRAIN= NO PAIN , but it does :eek: . Just grit the teeth, bite the bullet, chew the leather strap, cuss out loud and sit back and enjoy the eve.

Osotogary
02-03-05, 10:06 PM
HardJedi
I gather that you are limiting the pain to just physical?

HardJedi
02-03-05, 10:08 PM
Yes Gary, just physical for this one. the point is to show that physical pain is psychological in nature. or at least, it can be overcome by the mind, when needed.

Arlene Horton
02-03-05, 10:12 PM
The pain felt during labor & delivery is something that no man could either understand or tolerate. I had six and now have a great group of children & grandchildren plus one great grandson. That was a long time ago but on August 3l, 2004 I had a laminectomy of my back with fusion of two vertebrae. That pain was equal to that of labor and I didn't have a lovely baby to show for it! What did sustain me was what I learned in boot camp about just what you can do even though you are hurting big time. When asked how I could get off the narcotics so soon I just reminded my family & some of the nurses that I AM A UNITED STATES MARINE. It wqs a lot of mind over matter...if you don't mind, it doesn't matter! LOL Good Luck with that class. I remember mine wasn't easy. Semper Fi

AshleyMS
02-03-05, 11:15 PM
Well just last year I was in an auto accident with my mother. Some guy ran a light and t-boned us, I was very worried about my mother because she already has some physical problems and I was also worried about the gentleman who hit us..he was like 78. Anyways, I called someone to come and pick us up after the state trooper received all the information he needed and went home. While at home I called the insurance company and explained to them what had happened, called my work and informed them that I would not be coming in. After it was all said and done, I had to go to the ER, I was having SEVERE pain in my back and right shoulder. I was put in a neck brace while waiting to be seen in the ER for precaution, had a bunch x-rays done and was finally told that I had 2 torn ligaments, pulled muscles and that my spine was out of allignment. I went through almost 2 months of physical therapy and had to see a chiropracter(sp). It was a very painful experience.

HardJedi
02-04-05, 07:22 AM
some pretty good stuff so far. Anyone else got anything to add?

ringoffire
02-04-05, 09:27 AM
I have to say labor/delivery was painful, but I do have 4 kids. I guess you do what has to be done no matter what.

ese4mc
02-04-05, 09:46 AM
I WOULD SAY THAT NONE OF THE ABOVE CAN TOP KIDNEY STONES
2-SHOTS DEMEROL & 3 MORPHINE SHOTS TO GO UNDER--EASY TO LOSE 5 POUNDS OF WEIGHT BY SWEATING IN ABOUT 30 MINUTES--CANT PSYCOLOGICALLY ELIMINATE PAIN----PER NURSES--MUCH WORSE THAN LABOR PAINS---

ese4mc
02-04-05, 09:55 AM
AS AN AFTER-THOUGHT TO MY PREVIOUS POST,I SHOULD HAVE STATED THAT THE PAIN FROM KIDNEY STONE ATTACKS IS SO PAINFUL, THAT DEMEROL IS SUPPOSED TO HOLD THE LEVEL SO IT WONT GET ANY WORSE,HOWEVER IT DOES NOT MAKE IT GO AWAY UNTIL THE MORPHINE KICKS IN AND PUTS YOU OUT--ONLY THEN DOES THE PAIN STOP AND YOU ARE OFF TO LA-LA LAND--APOLOGIES TO THE LADIES

PFCJon
02-04-05, 10:06 AM
In bike races or running races you learn to turn off pain and discomfort, as it's distracting. I imagine it's the same for all endurance sports. I race Downhill, which means you rip down the side of a mountain through rocks, trees, jumps and dropoffs. Sometimes you will clip a tree at 40 mph, but if you start thinking about how much it hurts you will go down- it hurts later, but not until you have a chance to stop focusing on the terrain. Hope that helps

mrbsox
02-04-05, 11:47 AM
Is pain level itself a PERCEIVED reality ??

By this I mean;
Is it more a factor of how WE, the human individual, react to a specific pain.

I was helping a friend move. All done, been reminding every one to GO AROUND the trailer instead of stepping over the tounge.

What does yours truly do....
Yep... Broke my foot, felt the snap.
wife: "Are you ok ??"
'NO.... I think I broke my foot'.... (rolling on the ground)
wife: " Does it hurt ??"
'Only when I breath'....
I cinch my shoe up good and tight, we finish tying everthing down, then head to the ER.

Any way, I think a broken foot is a broken foot, no matter WHO has it. Pain is Pain, no matter who has it.
I think we all know those (drama queen) people that need a full body cast if they stub their toe. They will limp for days, at least until the bruise goes away, and need every pill thay can get their hands on just to function.

Is Pain in the 'head' of the beholder ?? Can you measure a pain level ??
The mind can FOCUS on other things, and while preoccupied, not react to the pain. I don't think that is a matter of psycology, because the pain doesn't GO AWAY. You are just not letting it become your focus.

We won't even talk about 'Phantom Pains' !!

Fred Pfeiffer
02-04-05, 12:35 PM
Here is an interesting article regarding Jerry Lewis and the electronic device that they gave him to stop the pain signals from his back injury getting to his brain.

http://my.webmd.com/content/chat_transcripts/1/103993.htm

Check it out. It might be helpful.

Semper Fidelis,
Fred