PDA

View Full Version : Who Remembers Dog Patch?

Pages : [1] 2

jinelson
02-03-05, 08:39 PM
Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
Jim

greensideout
02-03-05, 08:52 PM
Strange but consistant! Nam was a different place to most depending on when you were there and where you were at.

There was no liberty while I was there. When we left our camp it was either to a hot LZ or R and R out of country. But damn, didn't we fell the rain and heat! At least we all shared that experience.

jinelson
02-03-05, 09:34 PM
That we did greensideout. Do you remember MPC and how the locals reacted when it was all of a sudden changed? Talk about panic in the market place, dang.

ivalis
02-03-05, 09:36 PM
wish i was a remf, would of done the cash for mpc, for money orders, for cash shuffle. would of come home a bazillionaire.

jinelson
02-03-05, 09:43 PM
For once I got to agree with you brother. I knew some Marines that made major bank before the sweet freedom bird took them back to the world.

greensideout
02-03-05, 09:51 PM
No MPC while I was there. All that came later.

jinelson
02-03-05, 09:56 PM
Dang you could have riveled Trump doing greenback 80,000 to one for piastors even on our pay

Sgted
02-03-05, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by jinelson
Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
Jim

Jim....When were you there ?.
I was a 3531 stationed with Division Headquarters in late 66 & all of '67.
Dogpatch & 4 corners I remember well.
Dogpatch is where I had my first taste of Vietnamese food. A sweet crusty rice thing that turned my stomach.
While Dogpatch was off limits that didn't stop us from pulling over (and looking out).
Dogpatch is where I saw (& picked from) a banana tree.
We would sometimes stop to get our trucks "washed".
We had a regular run to Dogpatch to pick up 1st Division Headquarters mess hall workers.
Going thru Dogpatch was a regular thing for me as I had to pick up, not only workers but ice for the General's mess, booze, take Marines to the airbase and to go to Monkey Mountain to scrounge things we needed from the Seabees.

jinelson
02-03-05, 10:54 PM
Sgted I was there in 68 with 11th motors and again in 70 with MASS-3 on Hill-327 almost ran for mayor of dog patch, trip tickets all over the place like any resectable 3531. Remember that jet that was stuck in the side of Monkey Mountain like a dart, when clutching to the top of it ? I was a cumshaw guy too. Glad to hear from you bro.

Welcome Home Semper Fi
Jim

Sgted
02-03-05, 11:01 PM
Wasen't there for the jet into MM, but I've read alot about it.
Thanks for the memories.
Semper Fi,
Ed.

3531marine
02-03-05, 11:08 PM
I remember dog patch i was with 9th motors at fssg da nang . we were right outside dog patch in the sand along the airstrip. that was march 65 in late 65 we moved to the other side of dog patch out by gook rifel range . we drank a lot of tiger 33&bome bom there and the rice bread with ant's. It's been40 years but you guy's are brining it back slowly. i was a 3531 also s/f mike

jinelson
02-03-05, 11:23 PM
3531marine God Bless you I also drank my share of Tiger plss bah meh bah

Sempers Bro and keep on truckin

bazzy
02-08-05, 09:23 PM
Sometime in the summer of 65, two Phantom's plowed into Monkey Mt. Is that the jet that you were talking about? Left quite a bald spot near the top of the Mt. Our position was near the base of hill 327 and we could see the brown bald spot from there.

jinelson
02-28-05, 07:10 AM
Just bumping up for new members. Hey Rockpile if you read this you may want to start a tread on the rockpile it just may help you find an old buddy from that scenic paradise way up north off HI-Way 9.

Sempers
Jim

TopMarinesMC
03-21-05, 10:45 PM
I was with MAG 11 MT in 67-68, remember lots of trips through Dog Patch, and a few stops there also. I was not there for the jets into MM, but do remember the AF B52 that made an emergency landing with the hydralics out and then into the mine field at the end of the runway (across road). Real nasty. Also the big attack in July 67 when the bomb dump went off.

Semper Fi

Garry
03-22-05, 03:08 PM
I was with Delta Co. 1st. Mps. Dog patch was part of our area of responceability. We were grunt mps and pulled patrolls, ambushes etc. I was also with Bravo Co. At Marble Mt.. Have gotten together witl my Lt. from that time, that was a trip.

david43844
03-22-05, 04:06 PM
I was @ Camp Books and remember Dog Patch well. (68-69) I had a Arvn Gysgt friend there,and got my 1st taste of dog meat and formaldyhide (spelling) beer there. ahh but no boom boom.

Namvet67
03-22-05, 04:18 PM
I was there several time from 1967 to 1970. I was with HQ Battery 11th Marines and it was off limits to lower ranking Marines.

Sgt0811
03-22-05, 06:15 PM
Our Battery was not far from Dog Patch. I had a secondary of 3531 so I drove thru often. Never stopped.
I don't remember the name but there was a hooch near HQ where 4 women were shot for talking to the VC.

Doc Rod Hardin
03-29-05, 01:55 PM
We are proactively seeking alumni from 3/3/3 who served in-country between May 1965 and October 1969. Please muster in with your Company Administrator on http://www.thirdmarines.net or send me an e-mail with your contact info so we can welcome you home and get you to our next reunion.

Eaglestrikes
03-29-05, 08:42 PM
Just bumping up for new members. Hey Rockpile if you read this you may want to start a tread on the rockpile it just may help you find an old buddy from that scenic paradise way up north off HI-Way 9.

Sempers
Jim

I was there 67 to 68. Con Thein. Camp Carrol, Cam Lo. C 1, 2 and etc.
Also Ghio Linh. All over the Lancaster area.
Scenic is right. Until it rained, and the River overflowed then it sucked.
Spent time going up and down the Cua Viet also.

Eaglestrikes
03-29-05, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by TopMarinesMC
I was with MAG 11 MT in 67-68, remember lots of trips through Dog Patch, and a few stops there also. I was not there for the jets into MM, but do remember the AF B52 that made an emergency landing with the hydralics out and then into the mine field at the end of the runway (across road). Real nasty. Also the big attack in July 67 when the bomb dump went off.

Semper Fi

70 to 71 Mag 16. Heard the story of the two Phantoms. Never knew anyone that actually saw it. Were they Marine or Navy?

Eaglestrikes
03-29-05, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Garry
I was with Delta Co. 1st. Mps. Dog patch was part of our area of responceability. We were grunt mps and pulled patrolls, ambushes etc. I was also with Bravo Co. At Marble Mt.. Have gotten together witl my Lt. from that time, that was a trip.
I was 6055/5811 at Marble Mountain. Dogpatch??? Never heard of it. Kidding.....
Went through it and Four corners a few times. Never stopped.
Second tour, ( First one was on DMZ) and I was not going to venture where I did not need to go.
I remember B Co. You remember the Army side?

justjr59vet
04-06-05, 12:30 PM
I was there in May65, after the move to Hill 327 Hq Bunker,Dogpatch soon lost one of its prized establishments. It somehow spread not only VD, but a whole lot of itchy mites,so thanks to a Duce & half, a chain and rope was used to pull that nice house down,What a Hoot!! I guess thats why we were loved so much.

WTSands
04-19-05, 06:16 PM
Dogpatch? Every chance I got. Anybody remember "Silver Fox" whiskey? Spiking it with lighter fluid would have been an improvement.

04-19-05, 08:49 PM
From November '65 till April '66, went through DP every day, somtimes on foot and somtimes in a M37 PC. Was with H&HS-1 Radio Relay on the top east side of 327. Mail call was at HQ and someone had to make the trip. Never knew it was off limits while I was there. Some guys did have problems with STD's from doing things that they should not have. Usually the beer was cold, but the choices weren't, Carling, Turborg, and 33 were just about all the choices.

A long time ago.

Semper Fi-Steve

Might have a foto somewhere of one of the DP beauties.

:cool:

marine6674
05-03-05, 02:20 PM
We used to go threw dogpatch on ammo runs for arty. never stopped there but did stop at the big PX.
Welcome home brothers

jirzman
05-03-05, 06:53 PM
Wow!Call me shameless cuz I was with 1/1 and one of the 1st to hit those sinfull plaes.I was an 18yr old horny marine just spending months on ship doing the Gulf of Tonkin.Beetlenut and all,they were of the opposite gender.Not proud of it but the truth is the truth.Had one Chaplain,yes Chaplain,get the bug from one.
I recall my one and only experience,yes it was a onetime thing,having a Lt. Col in the room next to me.

younglords
05-05-05, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jinelson

Sempers
Jim [/QUOTE}

Jim,
I remember Dog Patch, I was one of the AFP`s (Armed Forces Police) that patrolled that area, was assigned to Delta Co. 3rd MP Bn. Caught many a marine there making skivvie runs. Even caught our XO and CO there once, the day after they lectured us about us going on a skivvie run. Danang was open to us though for all kinds of skivvie runs, I boom boom long time while being an AFP, lol
Eddie....

albert torcini
05-05-05, 04:36 PM
I REMEMBER DOG PATCH AND CHECK POINT CHARLIE.I WAS WITH ENGINEERS IN "65". DOG PATCH WAS OFF LIMITS BECAUSE SOME MARINES NEVER CAME BACK. I WAS AT MARBLE MT. ALSO,AFTER THEY WERE HIT .WE TOOK SOME LOSES THAT NIGHT. THOSE MARINES WHO MADE SKIVVIE RUNS IN DOG PATCH HAD TO BE CRAZY. THEY STILL DON'T HAVE NAMES FOR SOME DISEASES THAT WERE FOUND THERE.

AL TORCINI

jinelson
06-05-05, 01:43 PM
Thanks brothers for all the good memories and Im glad to know Im not the only Marine to venture into dog patch lol.

Semper Fi

Jim :marine:

Eaglestrikes
06-05-05, 05:25 PM
Thanks brothers for all the good memories and Im glad to know Im not the only Marine to venture into dog patch lol.

Semper Fi

Jim :marine:
Or to venture back out.
Semper Fi.

luther johnson
06-22-05, 09:05 AM
I went into da nang with Mco.3/9,way back in1964. was all over dog pacth, spent lots of time on hill 327. if any brother was ther at same time I would like to rap with you.

Jack Schafer
06-28-06, 05:28 PM
I was on the advanced party in Mar. 66. We lived in tents at the foot of Hill 327. I was in the seabees (MCB 1) We built camp Haskins & FLC. Two of us with the help of a few Marines put up a butler building on 327. By the time my squad got back from Tien Fuc we had it under roof. The first morning, the Marines they sent to help us were not happy. At noon I brought back a case of beer. The next day we had more help than we knew what to do with.
We also cleared the top off hill 724 for the Laam site. If anyone remembers, drop me a line. WELCOME HOME !!

yellowwing
06-28-06, 08:57 PM
The first morning, the Marines they sent to help us were not happy. At noon I brought back a case of beer. The next day we had more help than we knew what to do with.
That sounds like us! :banana:

Guy1911
07-04-06, 08:59 AM
Remember when first went to mpc and a bunch of guys broke out all the monopoly games from the supply tent. High times in Danang for awhile.

Guy1911
07-04-06, 09:02 AM
Hit Danang august of 64. Spent many times in Dog Patch and too many nights on 327.

ggyoung
07-05-06, 12:47 PM
Jack Schafer I have niver knowen a bad See Bee. You guys had the beer and the best eats anywere. Loved to be around you. Can Do, a job well done.

redneck13
07-05-06, 03:05 PM
I wish other's would remember the rock pile....course I don't want to step on anyone's toe's here about Dog Patch. As I never been there. But the Rock Pile? Oh yeah. Hard core Place.
SF

jerryk
07-05-06, 05:33 PM
yea i know where it was where all the remf,s in the marines went we just went by on the way to get on a chopper at the air base at da-nang in 1966 when we was in that neck of the woods by div.

JohnC68
07-13-06, 02:05 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to relate the story about the tail section that ended up by the side of the road on the way to the top of Monkey Mountain. I don't remember all of the details as they were described to me in an email, but I will try my best.

The tail section is actually part of a Navy F8U Crusader. The tail section belonged to the wingman of a friend I knew that worked for Delta Airlines, Richard C Harris. He told me the story of how it ended up there in 1967.

Rick and his wingman were returning from a support mission and were low on fuel and couldn't make it back to their carrier, so they had to divert to Da Nang. It was a very low ceiling and MM was socked in by cloud cover....luckily they were very good friends and were constantly chatting over the radio as they were approaching Da Nang.

Rick said he had a weird sense that something was just not right, and he suddenly yelled to his buddy, pull up, pull up.....it was almost too late for both of them as they just barely cleared the hill side and trees but managed to plow through several tree tops.

Rick's instrument panel ended up in his lap, and his engine was barely running but he managed to land safely. His wingman's engine injested too much crap and flamed out, but he had just enough altitude to eject.....and thanks to Rick's premonition he survived.....one second later and they both would have been killed.

I saw the tail section in 1968 and mentioned it to Rick in 1996 and he surprisingly mentioned that he knew exactly how it got there......an amazingly small world.

John

JohnC68
07-13-06, 01:11 PM
I just happen to stumble on an eyewitness account of what I described in the above from Rick:

Steven A. Vaughn USMC MAG-11 Da Nang. Date unknown. As a young Marine at MAG-11 H&MS-11 I watched a F8 Crusader make an emergency landing at the Da Nang air strip. It had a small tree hanging off the stabilator (tail section). The tree was about 15-20 feet in length. This plane was one of two that had got in trouble at Monkey Mountain that day. We were told the other plane had nosed in just below the crest of the mountain. The pilot had ejected safely and had landed on the beach about 1200 feet below the crash site. I was one of those Marines who were sent to the site the next day to salvage as much as we could. I was out of the Hydraulic Shop at H&MS-11 there with people from Avionics,Airframes and Safety and Survival. I recall 4 of us in the back of the 6x6 the driver and a Gunnery Sergeant in the cab. We departed the compound,drove through Da Nang and up the winding road passed the AFRTS broadcasting site to just about 100 yards below a Marine SAM site. This crash was caused by low visibility through the clouds surrounding Monkey Mountain that morning.The clouds had cleared around the mountain giving about a quarter mile visibility. The surviving plane had gone into afterburner and just cleared the crest taking with it a little vegetation.The crashed plane pilot had ejected and survived. Now that's the rest of the story.

dunbardon
07-15-06, 10:57 PM
Luther: Don't know if we've ever met but I was with MAG-16 in Da Nang in 1964. Went back with 1stMarDiv in 1969. Spent some time in Dog Patch both tours. Have some fond memories inspite of all the bad stuff.\\

Semper Fi,

Don O'Neal

iamcloudlander
08-02-06, 02:19 AM
I was in mag11 when the bomb dump was blown remembering it burned forever saw the af b-52 go down the runway into the minefield went to the af dump later and the only thing left of it was the tail section,the locals used it for shade to cook under. i was there 67-68 also

dunbardon
08-02-06, 12:12 PM
Jim:

If you made the run from FLC to 327, you must have passed by the "sisters" house on Hwy 1 near Red Beach. Did you ever get to make a stop? Was there one night when the VC stopped by for so booty. Got a little hairy!

iamcloudlander
08-27-06, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=jinelson]Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

I have some pictures of dogpatch circa 1967-1968 if I knew how to upload them I would do so for all you vets that were there.
I might add that the skivvie houses were mostly centered at Red Beach where all the supplies brought by the Navy were dropped off and everyone that had a license for a 6X tried to make supply runs. One of our Marines on a supply run traded a K-bar for a pallet of beer. We got caught and the sailor was NJP'ed and we had to return the beer except by that time a lot of it was gone.
Do any of you Viet Vets recall hearing the stories of some of the troops getting the veneral disease called Black Balls as this disease had no cure and you died from it the ones that had it were sent to the Phillipines where they died and the family was informed they were KIA. Don't know if it is true or not just wondering if anyone else had heard of it.

exnitro
08-27-06, 04:53 PM
I remember hearing the stories but didn't personally know of anyone who caught it. Just like you said, you got sent to the Phillipines where you stayed till you died. Supposedly some kind of cancer that ate away as you turned black all over, and no cure! Could have been a tactic to scare guys into not making the stops in town and spending the $5, or was it $2.50. Can't remember.

Sgted
08-27-06, 08:18 PM
Black VD....a rumor to keep us from partaking in "boom boom". I heard it many times in my tour in the 'Nam.
Clap was rampant in Vietnam and what better way to keep it from becoming out of control than with a dreamed-up incurable version.
We were just outside 1st Mar Div headquarters in motor transport. I was a 3531 and made many runs through Dog Patch but it was off limits. I stopped once or twice (quickly) to talk and sample vendors food.
As a young kid, I was amazed at seeing bananas growing on trees in an alley in Dog Patch.
The MP's were aggressive in enforcing the off limits rules.
For us in Service Co MT, our CO allowed us to go into the Ville outside the back gate of 1st Mar Div to get out trucks "washed". Always with a shot gun.
Yeah, we got our trucks washed (& more). The locals washed our trucks with dirty rice paddy water pumped out with gas pumps. The trucks were dirtier after the wash than before.
By the way exnitro, outside the back gate the going rate was $2.50 as I recall.

jinelson
08-27-06, 08:22 PM
Yes dunbardon I do remember the sisters house lol they thought truckers were numbah one. exnitro I remember the rumors and even some classes about the black syph but never heard of anyone getting it. If it was a tactic to stop us from stopping it failed miserably lol.

1jopa
08-31-06, 06:50 AM
I Remember being in the village(cabbage patch) right out side of the gate at Marble Mt.
[Right between The Delta or was it Charlie med and army joint( with the ladys doing the sauna & massage)beside China Beach]

wantstoknow
09-01-06, 12:33 PM
well, my old man was in force recon 2nd plt. c-co. i have his maps and such..it seems he was there is this area close to the 45th parallel..also entered into the domain of the golden dragon i need to know what this is

1jopa
09-01-06, 03:02 PM
Don't think the was a 45 parallel in vietnam
The dmz was the 17
most of the 45th is over water I think

Dave Coup
09-29-06, 08:31 AM
"Numbah one boom boom 50p" I believe was the sales pitch. I never partook but remember guys trying to pull the ****er tube out of the ground who had LOL

Dave

bootlace15
10-04-06, 08:10 AM
Yeah baby,My first day in country I had to go to the 1st Mar Div for in country orders,had to hitch a ride to Camp Carroll,on the way back a bunch of us FNG's were going thru some town in a 4 by,we hit some gook in the road,the brakes failed on the truck,and gooks were chasing us. Lucky for us there were MP's around to help us out. We got dropped off at the four corners road and had to hump it back to Camp Carroll on our own. We had no clue as to what was going on,or where we were,but we made it.

jinelson
02-06-07, 02:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/41415884.jpg

Five dollar MPC short time numbah one!

Jim

FistFu68
02-06-07, 03:07 PM
:evilgrin: EVERY STINKIN 'VILLE IN THAT HELL-HOLE~HAD A DOGPATCH :evilgrin:

jinelson
02-06-07, 03:08 PM
Twenty Dollar MPC numbah one long time boom boom!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/MPC.jpg

The good old days lol.

Jim

thedrifter
02-06-07, 03:30 PM
Twenty Dollar MPC numbah one long time boom boom!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/MPC.jpg

The good old days lol.

Jim

We have those type of girls that come in some of our watering holes we like to hang out.

When we see them us girls(Marine wivies and girlfriends) say there famous quote, which then makes everyone laugh, and the girls do a fast walk out....;)

Ellie

Bozooka
02-06-07, 04:18 PM
Does anyone remember the steam and cream on the army base in dog patch..??

ggyoung
02-10-07, 12:52 PM
What army base at dog patch?

jinelson
02-10-07, 03:54 PM
No army base in dogpatch. But further north on Hi-way 1 across from FLC Camp Books Red Beach there was a fine army steam and cream. As I remember it was like 85th Evac and 80th Group or something like that.

http://366tfw.366th-mms.net/index69-images/kaatman27.jpg

http://366tfw.366th-mms.net/index69-images/kaatman5.jpg

Bozooka
02-10-07, 04:10 PM
No army base in dogpatch. But further north on Hi-way 1 across from FLC Camp Books Red Beach there was a fine army steam and cream. As I remember it was like 85th Evac and 80th Group or something like that.

Yes you are right.. thats the place I stop there a few times and had my pips cleaned.

Bozooka
02-10-07, 04:10 PM

Yes you are right.. thats the place I stoped there a few times and had my pips cleaned.

sloan52
02-22-07, 09:35 AM
red beach was a great marine hangout.

oldtop
02-22-07, 11:08 AM
Went to Dogpatch 1 time, the day before my Freedom Bird Flight. When I arrived at DaNang, I ran into a buddy from ITR that had been stationed at the Rockpile. After a good BS session, the boredom of waiting for our flight to be announced set in and he decided to make one last run to Dogpatch for a visit with his favorite lady. I "took his back" and off we went. While my buddy was endulging himself for the last time in VietNam, I stood watch for the MP's or any other possible threat. Lo and behold, here comes mamasan yelling that the VC were entering the ville, and telling me to "come quick, I hide"!! Before going with mamasan, I saw several armed VC entering at one end of the ville, and a jeep load of MP's at the other end! Mamasan hid my buddy and I in a hidey hole between the inside walls of the hooch, and we stayed there for what seemed to be forever (we were unarmed, having turned in our weapons upon arrival at DaNang) listening to a quick firefight going on outside. The entire time, I was thinking to myself "DUMBASS, after 19 months in country, you're going to get wasted or captured in a *****house the day before going home, and you're not even getting laid! I also began to wonder how many times mamasan had hidden VC in the same hidey hole I was now standing in. After the excitement, mamasan came and pulled us out of the hiding place and unceremoniously shoved us out the door and we proceeded to haul a$$ back to the DaNang airbase. Once there, the entire incident was the source of much ribbing and laughter. Our Freedom Bird departed that lovely southeastern paradise in the wee hours of the next morning, and thankfully, we were both aboard for the flight. While it may not have been the worst situation I had experienced during my tour, it probably scared the $hit out of me more than any other, cause it was the only time that I could only think about the situation rather than react to it.

Semper Fi

jinelson
02-24-07, 08:20 PM
Thats the Dog Patch I remember maybe even the same house Top. Thanks for sharing that it brought back some fun memories.

Jim

davblay
02-24-07, 09:42 PM
Man these picture take me back to tha NAM big time! My home base was straight ahead in the second picture. damn! Semper fi :thumbup:

Dirish1
03-09-07, 03:31 PM
I remember the first time I saw dog-patch/ 4 corners... It was Feb-68 on my way to hill 55 and then on to hill 37 and then on to An Hoa. They all had dog-patches!!! Does anyone remember the smell as you got off the plane in Danang? smelled like to me crap covered with purfume. The further west I went the more it smelled like crap without the prefume.

ggyoung
03-16-07, 06:02 PM
There is a pitcher of me in Dog Patch in 1966 at 12 Marines web site. 3rd bn. Whiskey Battery

BJGANGLOFF
04-10-07, 12:11 PM
I remember it well. I was with C 1/7 68-69
SEMPER FI...

jinelson
04-30-07, 10:04 AM
found a couple more pics headed toward Hill-327 cruising through Dog Patch.

Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/238422.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/238412.jpg

iamcloudlander
05-05-07, 10:44 PM
jinelson if you could explain to me how to send pictures I have a few of dogpatch also just don't know how to get them posted

jinelson
05-05-07, 11:15 PM
Check your PM box bro I sent you some instructions.

Jim

Williamwfh
05-18-07, 01:17 AM
:usmc: I was with 1st LAAM Bn, H&S and young kids in Dog Patch popped fire crackers around me, the period was around but after Tet of 1966. Mamasan quickly said, they are protecting you from evil sprits. I had been helping their old sibligs with home work in math. These I suppose were street children, maybe they had family. I chose this as my Hearts and Mind work.
In 1965 Buddhist rebellions had been occurring and we were put under a month long seize. South Vietnamese tanks had approached our position and a Marine MP stopped them at the 4 corners area of Dog Patch, a Navy fighter orbited over head, another marine and myself were assigned rifle grenades to attack them if moved toward the airport and our compound to attack us.
General Walt had informed the South Vietnamese Air Force we would shoot their planes out of the sky if they continued to bomb their civilians and our marines during that rebellion - what a period.

npipper50
05-25-07, 10:27 AM
Oh yes, I stopped by DogPatch and Four Corners several times, In country R&R, out from the bush, 0311, that was in 1968, that is where I got my first dose of the clapp. Baby sahn's had some nasty pootang. I used protection from than on!!! Delta Company, 1/1st MARDIV.

Sig
09-30-07, 07:11 AM
I was with T Company 11th Motor Transport, 1st Marine Division during 1970 to 1971. Our motor pool was near some pass that I can't remember the name of. Anyway, I had duty to haul water, used mostly for showers, with a 5500 gallon tanker. The tanker had compartments in it and sometimes I would leave a compartment empty. I would stop along the road in Dog Patch, a few skivie girls would climb into the empty compartment and off we'd go to the motor pool. Our line shack became a brothel for the night and I was the most popular guy around. Ya'll can't call me a pimp cause I never took a dime for doing this, but I got a lot of free poontang. Unfortunately this duty only lasted for a few weeks and most other drivers wouldn't do it for fear of getting caught. Funny thing though my NCO would give me that run about every couple of weeks. With a wink and a nod.

Williamwfh
10-01-07, 03:12 AM
I would like information on an incident concerning a Vietnamese street girl age 6 to 12 years old would I was informed blow here self up in 1965/66 near the main PX near the down area DaNang. My VA psychiatrist has informed me this is part of my PTSD issue an I should have talked about it long ago, upon speaking of it in our office our session the session was closed, and I was rated. This is just one of the many issues I hold for PTSD. I used these children as my eyes and ears since I drove around the DaNang area constantly by myself throughout the duration of my tour, they were my street troopers, I would not depend on the hookers for they were desensitized and obviously unreliable, and usually not available, but the street children and venders were accessible, however the children were the most reliable. For the duty I performed there was a high reward. They would show me the with their eyes, if they where worried eyes when they looked right, I went left, I always trusted their body language, or if they outright said, you go now, I did not argue. One little fellow exhibited how fast he could remove a wrist watch from a wrist and said, put it on your shirt collar, they liked my stories about the Kansas farm life and the big jack rabbits, I would help them with math and in return they show me how to count to ten on one hand. I have been known to bandage simple cuts on their hands, I would share my food with them, and in Dog Patch after the Tet festival of 1966 a few children kept fire crackers to pop around me to chase off evil spirits, a mama san quickly informed me what they were doing. What so impressed me, these children in the most part could speak multiple languages. I feel as if I can easily and reliably say they saved me from hostile contact more than once, less than six times, and in the duty as a messenger I cannot engage but avoid the enemy. In those early buildup days there was not many U.S. troops on every street and in every village I traveled. When I rotated back I left behind a lot of children who I had depended on and they remained to face the horrors that was yet to come, and I have my problems the USMC admits to but the VA has not yet been willing to reconcile and that is criminal. If anyone does recall the little girl who blew herself up in 1965/66 in the DaNang area around the DaNang main PX I would like to hear from you. Here are some recent posting made on the ABC news network and I am in red “Williamwfh”.
I am Williamwfh (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/comments?type=user&loginCode=F862662F-C923-4B65-BB33-748AA349E351) 9:34 PM posted here below in the ABC news internet as follows:
Wounded Vets Also Suffer Financial Woes (http://www.leatherneck.com/Health/wireStory?id=3669654)
AP IMPACT: Wounded Veterans, Their Families Suffer Economically; 185,000 Seek Help So Far
He was one of America's first defenders on Sept. 11, 2001, a Marine who pulled burned bodies from the ruins of the Pentagon. He saw more horrors in Kuwait and Iraq. Today, he can't keep a job, pay his bills, or chase thoughts of suicide from his tortured brain. In a few weeks, he may lose his house, too. Gamal Awad, the American son of a Sudanese immigrant, exemplifies an emerging group of war veterans: the economic casualties. More than in past wars, many wounded troops are coming home alive...
« Back to story (http://www.leatherneck.com/Health/wireStory?id=3669654)
I think it is time for us to look out for our wounded veterans and take care of them financially, instead of spending our tax on illegal immigrants' health care, ESL program which cost about 300,000 per year per school, and many other systems that illegal immigrants are taking advantage of our systems. Freedome is not free, these soldiers paid for our freedom. We need to take care of them not just medically, psychologically, they need financial support. They need to have caregivers who can help them function daily activities without any frustration. So many young soldiers' extremities have been amputated or disfigured. Let's support our wounded veterans financially and stop using our tax on illegal immigrants' needs; they are not disabled they can walk around find something to do at least.
Posted by:
winterlady7 (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/comments?type=user&loginCode=945B6A10-0BE9-4E99-9406-D833364AE29D) 7:18 PM
Current day. AP IMPACT: Wounded Veterans, Their Families Suffer Economically; 185,000 Seek Help So Far … I was a field messenger in Vietnam and traveled the DaNang area by myself in a jeep, and for my intelligence I used the local people and abandoned street children, one of which one day went “pink” after telling me to go buy her a blanket, or so I am informed. Since Vietnam I I have not adjusted well to society and I have not held any employment for any substantial period of time. I did eventually re-educate into computer science, and later was made part of the NASA Challenger investigation at the industrial level but terminated after it was determined my employer was at fault for mismanagement and false testing of parts but the government was not ready to deal with that problem. Over the years I was not able to receive any attention to my concerns and eventually jailed but released after 14 months. In the early 1990s taught school as a substitute teacher on a as needed bases until my I was unable to work any longer, and later I wrote court documents up to the USSC [United states Supreme Court]. [i] attended president’s Clinton’s first inaugural at his request but that was to terminate a space port proposal on the island of Hawaii that no one wanted when it was realized the island is unsafe to launch rockets, and later Clinton wanted nothing to do with me concerning NASA or the VA. I studied traditional living styles of island people and most would do what we in the modern nation of the United States do today, provide sympathy to those that are oppressed and that is about all. The VA system is a shame to the modern world, and for some, they should be held accountable for the injustice they have done and the poor leadership they have brought upon building this system over the decades. I understand there is to be a new system of VA, but for many it is to little to late. I was a proud marine and today I am proud I served I am of royal European blood line. Semper fi
Posted by: Williamwfh (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/comments?type=user&loginCode=F862662F-C923-4B65-BB33-748AA349E351) 9:34 PM

snaglillard
10-14-07, 09:39 AM
Hell yes I remember the dogpatch well.Was not far from Marble mt. as I recall.Traded a ring once for some boom boom.

Semper Fi:tank: :usmc:

snaglillard
10-14-07, 09:45 AM
Is there anyone who served with me in 69/70 1/3 bravo co. marble mt.? They called me Lilly.
Semper Fi

snaglillard
10-14-07, 09:49 AM
Any amgrunts out there with 1/3 bravo co. 69/70 contact snaglillard@yahoo.com

:tank: Semper Fi

Dave Coup
10-14-07, 10:52 AM
snaglillard, fill out your profile and you'll get more responses.

Mytcbra96
10-14-07, 05:05 PM

Gary I served with 1st MP's starting in June of 67 wiyh "C" company" I extended for 6 monthes and the Corps thought I should go back to being a 3516 so I served that 6 monthes at the 1st MP motor pool.passed through dog patch many times... Semper Fi :flag:

SlingerDun
10-14-07, 06:21 PM
DOG PATCH WAS OFF LIMITS BECAUSE SOME MARINES NEVER CAME BACK.Thats what James Webb said in "Lost Soldiers" The MP's swept dogpatch in force intent on gathering deserters but they were armed and the ensuing firefights were too hot so the brass said leave them we know where they are. I wonder if he added this entry in his novel for effect?

--->Dave

FistFu68
10-14-07, 08:50 PM
:evilgrin: EVERY STINKIN 'VILLE,IN THAT FRIGGING HELL-HOLE;HAD A DOG-PATCH :evilgrin:

Wyoming
10-14-07, 10:11 PM
:evilgrin: EVERY STINKIN 'VILLE,IN THAT FRIGGING HELL-HOLE;HAD A DOG-PATCH :evilgrin:

THAT is a true statement!!

It could be a barber shop or a cafe, no matter, a piece of arse was available, or so I heard. :cool:

hrscowboy
10-14-07, 11:33 PM
yeah and them stinkin Army 504 MPs too..

snaglillard
10-15-07, 08:48 AM
I never had trouble with the mp's Guess I was too quick for em.

anthony bower
11-12-07, 03:39 PM
I was in Da Nang from67 to 69 with the 1 MAW Motor Transport, dog patch was just outside our main gate.If anybody out there was there about the same time I would like to here from you. Butch Bower

anthony bower
11-14-07, 01:12 PM
:flag:

Semper Fi
Top I was with MAG 11 motor transport from July 67 to June 69,I was N.C.O.I.C. OF THE heavy section maint.My boss was gunney sgt. Rohr I think that was his name. Its a long time ago,I also remember the bomb dump getting hit and the ammo. dump in tet of 68.I have many pictures of the planes that were hit during the many rocket and mortor attacks.Dog patch was off limits to us but that did not stop us. The people in the village had a little shuttle service set up at night, they would bring us back and forth. SEMPER FI Butch Bower

JackMapes
11-25-07, 02:48 PM
I was in Danang from May 65 till July 66. I remember the building in Dog Patch that was sided and roofed with Falstaff beer cans. I was with 7th CommBn MOS:2541. We passed through Dog Patch when we dilivered messages to the line elements North of Danang (3rd and 9th Marines).

During the first three months we were in country, we were allowed to wear civies off base and go and come as we pleased. When the rest of III MEF arrived we were restricted to base, officially.

Awwwww the fond memories this thread brings to mind.

I was thinking Hill 327 was a little South and West of Danang. Highway 1 ran North/South through Dog Patch. Or am I all turned around?

Robert Browell
11-25-07, 06:59 PM
Aah yes,"Dogpatch",Passed through there many times on the way to ASP 1.I was incountry(A-1-11)for a while before I knew you could get to Danang Without goin through it!Hell,if the gooks hadn't blown the bridge we normally used(67) I might have lived all these years thinkin Danang only had one street!!:usmc:

Williamwfh
11-25-07, 11:57 PM
I was in Danang from May 65 till July 66. I remember the building in Dog Patch that was sided and roofed with Falstaff beer cans. I was with 7th CommBn MOS:2541. We passed through Dog Patch when we dilivered messages to the line elements North of Danang (3rd and 9th Marines).

During the first three months we were in country, we were allowed to wear civies off base and go and come as we pleased. When the rest of III MEF arrived we were restricted to base, officially.

Awwwww the fond memories this thread brings to mind.

I was thinking Hill 327 was a little South and West of Danang. Highway 1 ran North/South through Dog Patch. Or am I all turned around?

I was a 2543 with 1st LAAMs and ran messages all over the area, where did you pick up your message from? I was not restricted and worked alone in my trusted jeep.

anthony bower
11-26-07, 08:31 AM
:iwo:
I was in Da Nang from67 to 69 with the 1 MAW Motor Transport, dog patch was just outside our main gate.If anybody out there was there about the same time I would like to here from you. Butch Bower

JackMapes
11-27-07, 09:58 AM
William,
We picked up our burnbags full of messages at the III MEF (I think the MEF turned into MAF later) comm center, which was located in an old French building situated on the outskirts of Dog Patch. I delivered messages to many other places from Hue to Camron Bay.

I had a jeep w/driver for local runs and flew when I delivered to Chu Li and south.

OLE SARG
11-27-07, 10:40 AM
I was in Vietnam for the big attack in July, 1967, when the ammo dump was hit. I didn't think that damn thing would ever quit exploding!!!!! Made for some nice fireworks. One of those damn rockets damn near hit our area. We couldn't get to the bunkers fast enough!!!!
Oh yeh, I too remember Dog Patch - a very scenic little vill HE HE

SEMPER FI,

Kwiz
11-27-07, 10:56 AM
I was in Da Nang 1967-68 as a 6511 in the Mag 11 bomb dump at this time. Do you remember when ASP1 blew up destroying hill 327? It happened agter the tet offensive in 68 as far as I can remember. ...

Dave Coup
11-27-07, 01:06 PM
That Ammo Dump had one hell of a life. It blew in '69 and could be seen from a long azz way off. I was in the field on Op Oklahoma Hills, probably 40 miles away and could see it and see the bushes move from the shock waves. A friend of mine was with 1st Tanks at the time, he said all kinds of unexploded ordinance was landing on them.

Williamwfh
11-27-07, 02:25 PM
William,
We picked up our burnbags full of messages at the III MEF (I think the MEF turned into MAF later) comm center, which was located in an old French building situated on the outskirts of Dog Patch. I delivered messages to many other places from Hue to Camron Bay.

I had a jeep w/driver for local runs and flew when I delivered to Chu Li and south.

Jack, the location from which I picked up my messages daily was at the far end of the Airfield and Dog Patch was next to my location at the other end of the field in an old French compound, and next to the "famous" Bomb dump. in Christmas time of 1966 when I arrived at my pick up point for messages I enquired about the Vietnamese on the road between my compund and mid airfield, there was about 2 dozen, and I was informed they were cleaning the road, I recall saying I do not believe that is what they are doing. By the time I completed my runs that afternoon I learned those were VC taking stepped off measurements of our locations, which included the bomb dump, but that they had gotton away when the troops came in force to check them out more closely they then simply scattered back into Dog Patch. Later in January we received our first motor attack of less than 12 rounds. I would look at those pyramids of bombs next to our location and think, one day ...

If the USMC wants to know why I was suddenly transfered from B btry to H&S as a field messenger please contact by proper means because that event might have become classified. I did not ask for or seek that duty assignment, once I received it I did the best I could to improve it, and did with the help others.

JackMapes
11-27-07, 07:10 PM
When I was there the old French compound was occupied by Headquarters elements for the Marines in I Corps. Before I left, III MAF Headquarters moved over accross the river from the airstrip.

Sarge05
11-27-07, 07:55 PM
Yes i remember Dog Patch wery well. You might say too well lol, but that's a private matter. I was with EgnrMaintCom,Maint.Bn.1stFSR/FLC and the company made monthly runs to the dump. The ncoic said that there was another way but today they were going another route. I found out that it was through Dog Patch. A ville of clumped shanties. LOL Brings back fund memories. OOOOORah Semper fi.

Williamwfh
11-27-07, 08:10 PM
When I was there the old French compound was occupied by Headquarters elements for the Marines in I Corps. Before I left, III MAF Headquarters moved over accross the river from the airstrip.

The 1<SUP>st</SUP> LAAM Bn was at the French Compound located about 3/4<SUP>th</SUP> down the runway on the Dog Patch side and next to the bomb dump, 1/ 2 way down was A btry.; C btry way on top of hill 327; and B btry was a top Monkey mountain.. Dog Patch was accessed at four corners about 3/4<SUP>th</SUP> mile from our location and at the four corners location where the road would go straight up to either Freedom Hill, or C btry. Just behind 327 was hill 268, and to the left was the flat land where we had our rifle range, and to the right was general Walt’s hill and his bunker until he moved, and this of course was Freedom hill. I left Vietnam on or about July 20<SUP>th</SUP>, and on or about July 12<SUP>th</SUP> I was assigned generator/guard on hill 268 and that night the “Tango” a machine gunner and myself fired on targets advancing on the hill hitting at least one, and mostly many more. I fired at least 12 flares to keep the those on the advancement party pinned down until we could get a firing advantage on them and fired on them as they entered the wire. That machine gunner was a terrific partner and I am most thankful for his cooperation with me that night. After I rotated out of Vietnam I was informed that there was an reorganization of the units after to the Ten Sha area because of the dangers of the region we were in and the difficulties in protecting those areas. For a period of time until maybe the Spring of 1966 a Army unit of Special Forces was stationed next to us by the French Compound, and then they were moved I think to Ten Sha. I have read some accounts of the layout for our battalion and they are wrong, but I suppose who cares. From many marines point-of-view they cannot recall correctly the layouts, names, dates and so forth of the events that we went through. In the year 2000 or so I asked some of my fellow HAWKers about an incident and none could recall it, now they all recall after their memory is being jogged a little, one of our best liked sergeants was killed by the QC in May of 1965. Well I am now just rambling along. One last thought, at the French Compound we were informed that during the French Viet Mihn conflict in 1955 a group of Vietnamese came into the compound one night and successfully slit the throat of every other person sleeping.

EDMcknight
12-12-07, 10:05 PM
Yea I found dog patch by initiation my first week they took me there and I met my first ninety year old virgin momma San it was over in seconds and then we ran not to get caught. and I was a regular at the aid station for a month afraid I caught something. I had just turned 17 and they thought it was funny as I did later when new guys got there initiation. Such Fun times

wayne1991
12-23-07, 01:57 PM
my barracks faced dogpatch used to some fire once in a while from there
we were in the old french barracks.it was during shufly in 1964-65 no mpc greenbacks used to change for p,s at cheap charlies in danang:flag:
brought back many memories

Piper007
02-14-08, 12:08 PM
:thumbup: First let me say that I salute you all. I was recently looking for information on Dogpatch in Vietnam due to a travel article my wife sent me. That search led me to this site containing your personal experiences there in the past. I wanted to leave you with some pictures of Dogpatch as it exists today. The pictures were taken during the return tour of former POWs. Just hope the link works. http://www.tourvacationstogo.com/trip07b_photos.cfm?source=vtgmm

EDMcknight
02-14-08, 03:33 PM
That old lady looked youngerforty years ago I think I remember her ha ha
Going back in June next year I have photos of then and I am going back to the same places and do the now.

Mytcbra96
02-14-08, 04:07 PM
Very cool Ed, I have often thought og going back for a look see. Google earth helps some....Enjoy !!:flag:

yellowwing
02-14-08, 05:58 PM
We are numba one on a Google AOL search for "Dogpatch Vietnam (http://search.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=searchbox.webhome&query=dogpatch+vietnam)"

jinelson
02-14-08, 07:00 PM
Wow cool.

Jim

rjboehle
02-22-08, 01:25 PM
I was with the phantom outfit that flew into Monkey Mt. It was two planes.We lost both crews.

iamcloudlander
02-24-08, 01:37 AM
I was with the phantom outfit that flew into Monkey Mt. It was two planes.We lost both crews.

what squadron were you in and when did it happen? I will post it on the 1st MAW Vietnam site as a historical item.

rjboehle
02-24-08, 11:28 AM
The outfit was VMFA 115 and the date was 27 Oct 1965. One plane was flying on one engine and flew into Monkey Mt and the second plane was flying as his wing man had followed him in.

Williamwfh
02-27-08, 07:25 AM
I remember this incident, I was with 1<SUP>st</SUP> LAAM’s “missile” and had been transferred from Monkey mountain’s B btry to H&S at the airport and I saw the fire and smoke on the mountain. As I recall, it was in the late afternoon I called B btry and enquired as to what had happen and a few minutes later I was informed, one crippled F4 with his wingman also a F4 phantom who was trying to talk his fellow flier down missed their first approach on the runway and was trying for a second attempt with fly around, but both had gone into the mountain. That was fellowship and the buddy factor to the end. What both pilots saw from their cockpit’s point of view has never been released, but their selfless dedication to one another was very obvious and I always wondered what became of this memorable incident. What had caused the cripple I do not know if it was malfunction, or enemy caused.

2.) This F4 incident has nearly the same effect as watching the B-57 that took-off but while on the runway things went immediately bad to worse and the screeching bomber started dropped its bombs as it raced down the runway and before nosing in at the end of the runway and suddenly going to fire, and both pilots were killed. I am almost certain these pilots understood that their aircraft’s bombs could and probably would destroy the runway if they were left on the plane and in a fire. I saw both of these incidents occur and with me they certainly did leave a life-long impression or heroism.

glock9mm
02-29-08, 03:00 PM
In country &quot;66 with the 1st MAW detailed to herd a crew of locals from Dogpatch into the MAW compound for cleanup. The locals who didn't get to go used to throw rocks at me until I put a weapon on...

redbutcher
03-06-08, 10:10 PM
if you went thru division cp I waved you thru front gate and rear gate at times. if you brought in any indigenous personel through after dark we made some officers pay. it wasn't your fault they couldn't follow the rules was it. they got all of the good stuff, remember!

redbutcher
03-06-08, 10:29 PM
hey jinelson did that kid ever survive that buker attack. he was a newbee right after tet. by the way the name is Hank. started out in the band became a division mp, then a machine gunner on hill just opposite you guys, on the otherside of the valley.

glock9mm
03-06-08, 11:30 PM
if you went thru division cp I waved you thru front gate and rear gate at times. if you brought in any indigenous personel through after dark we made some officers pay. it wasn't your fault they couldn't follow the rules was it. they got all of the good stuff, remember!
Went through the front gate twice a day for two months. I'm sure I talked to you 'cause I shot the bull with all the gate guys to kill time waiting for the locals. Did the front gate have an M-60 crew in a raised, sandbagged position next to the gate and a guardhouse? I can't remember. I remember the fence between the ville was chain link, razor wire and corrugated steel and any other junk they could find. Semper Fi.

SemperFi67
03-14-08, 10:50 AM
I was at 1st FSR MTM, from August 67-May 69. Was with Clutch Platoon, 3rd Provisional Rifle Platoon (company). Later I drove for the battalion Chaplain. Anyone serving there during that time give me a shout. Dogpatch was right outside our perimeter and across the road. This thread brings back many memories.
Semper Fi

ecfree
03-14-08, 02:28 PM
I was in Danang in early 65,Security Plt.,3rd Mar.Div.
We were in the old French barracks.
Every day or so you would see this little old steam engine chugging along ,laying down a cloud of thick black smoke. Any body else remember seeing this?

SEMPER FI WELCOME HOME:usmc:

anthony j bower
03-17-08, 09:22 AM
I was there 67-69 1st maw motor transport my name is butch bower I would like to here from you.

ecfree
03-17-08, 09:39 PM
Hey Butch,I sent a reply,but didn't go thru.
It was about liberty in Danang,in early 65.
Man that 33 beer was as warm as monkey ****.
After the first few,the rest went down ok.

SEMPER FI/WELCOME HOME

glock9mm
03-17-08, 11:20 PM
What I remember was the USO show on 327 in late '66? with Bob Hope, Joey Heatherton and Ann-Margret. Front row seats with a nice view of Ann-Margret camel toe. Too bad about Joey Heatherton, what a beauty.

ggyoung
03-18-08, 10:21 AM
ecfree=====I have drank 33 beer warm and cold but I don't know how warm monkey**** is. Anybody else here know how warm monkey**** is?

glock9mm
03-18-08, 10:42 AM
ecfree=====I have drank 33 beer warm and cold but I don't know how warm monkey**** is. Anybody else here know how warm monkey**** is?
I guess it would depend on live or dead monkey. I prefer dead because that's lower temp and they're filthy, lice ridden, little bas***** anyway. Remember? Can't remember seeing any dogs, the gooks ate 'em all.

ggyoung
03-18-08, 10:59 AM
Glock9mm+++++++++I spent 2 Christmas's in Vietnam and never did get to see any good USO shows. They would not come out to where we were in the bush.

ggyoung
03-18-08, 11:06 AM
Glock9mm===========On my second tourer we had a dog mascot named "Shorts" He hated the gooks. Also had a Vietnamese pot belleyed pig for a mascot. His name was "2LT Arnold H. Hog" It was only natural to have a hog as I was with Hog Battery 3/11.

Williamwfh
03-20-08, 07:23 PM
glock9mm (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=50140), What I remember was the USO show on 327 in late '66? with Bob Hope, Joey Heatherton and Ann-Margret. Front row seats with a nice view of Ann-Margret camel toe. Too bad about Joey Heatherton, what a beauty.

Remember the single engine observation aircraft that was counter clock wise low orbiting and every now and then he would cut his engine as he passed from twelve to 9:00 o’clock, and then one time his engine did not restart and a helicopter went out to retrieve him and he waived to us troops as he passed over head and we booed? In the far off rice paddy we could see the tail of the aircraft sticking up. Not long after that the USO helicopters arrived. I was near the front left of the stage and like all, in the muddy area. I did not have a camera for this performance, but a picture of Ann-Margaret was selling for $10.00 US dollars that week, and I am not certain but I believe she asked for it be banned.

HABU
03-20-08, 07:33 PM
i suck... i was too young for vietnam and too old for iraq... '79-'87... i was in a window of peace... i enlisted while jimmy carter was president and we had issues back then... i'm torn in a way because i haven't seen combat but in another way, i'm very glad for that for many reasons. still after serving 8 years and being in both the ground and air wing side i've seen a lot. i'm still a valid marine i suppose...

anthony j bower
03-20-08, 08:13 PM
Hey Butch,I sent a reply,but didn't go thru.
It was about liberty in Danang,in early 65.
Man that 33 beer was as warm as monkey ****.
After the first few,the rest went down ok.

SEMPER FI/WELCOME HOMEEd I sent you reply yesterday did you get it? Butch

Williamwfh
03-20-08, 08:22 PM
anthony j bower (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=38612), were you on hill 327 with 1st LAAMs in 1966?<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_333203", true); </SCRIPT>

glock9mm
03-21-08, 11:46 AM
glock9mm (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=50140), What I remember was the USO show on 327 in late '66? with Bob Hope, Joey Heatherton and Ann-Margret. Front row seats with a nice view of Ann-Margret camel toe. Too bad about Joey Heatherton, what a beauty.

Remember the single engine observation aircraft that was counter clock wise low orbiting and every now and then he would cut his engine as he passed from twelve to 9:00 o’clock, and then one time his engine did not restart and a helicopter went out to retrieve him and he waived to us troops as he passed over head and we booed? In the far off rice paddy we could see the tail of the aircraft sticking up. Not long after that the USO helicopters arrived. I was near the front left of the stage and like all, in the muddy area. I did not have a camera for this performance, but a picture of Ann-Margaret was selling for $10.00 US dollars that week, and I am not certain but I believe she asked for it be banned.
Here's the deal with Ann-Margret: She asked that the photo's not be published because she had a severe case of acne or some kind of facial breakout. I was no more than 20 feet from her and saw this clearly; the stage lights were as bright as artillery flares and shining upward. No disrespect to Ann, but I think most guys were focused on other parts of her anatomy. I remember the single engine and some choppers and I think that "Puff" was operating to the north during the show. Wish I would have known about the 10 dollar sales price for the pics, I gave mine away to the guys who didn't get to go. IT WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED IF ANY GUYS WHO STILL HAVE THESE PHOTOS WOULD UPLOAD THEM TO THE SITE. SEMPER FI.

yellowwing
03-21-08, 12:01 PM
Dang, to me Ann Margaret is still hot today!

rjboehle
03-21-08, 01:10 PM
I think if you made it through Boot Camp You are a Marine........

glock9mm
03-21-08, 02:58 PM
Dang, to me Ann Margaret is still hot today!
Brother, you ain't kiddin', but back then she was really something special. I had dreams about her for months.

bootlace15
03-21-08, 05:08 PM
Yellowing, I guess you like the Mature women.

bootlace15 out

Ed Palmer
03-22-08, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=WilliamwfhWhat I remember was the USO show on 327 in late '66? with Bob Hope, Joey Heatherton and Ann-Margret. Front row seats with a nice view of Ann-Margret camel toe. Too bad about Joey Heatherton, what a beauty.

[/QUOTE]
cant remember if this was 66 or 68 with Bob Hope but it was great to be there
especialy when her zipper broke

This is proably you with your camera and nose right down front and up close

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/bob20hope20001-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/2.jpg

ggyoung
03-22-08, 12:04 PM
Any body have the pitcher of ANN in the white shorts?

Williamwfh
03-22-08, 01:45 PM
None of these are the specific picture I remember. My tour ended in mid July 1966, and the show was very late in starting for multiple reasons, weather, and a distant securty issues that had to be controlled.

gunnya
03-22-08, 02:40 PM
I sure the hell do. A hotbed of VC's. My first tour in Nam, was with HMM 162 and we were billited in the old French Paratroopers barracks and Dog Patch was about 500 yrds from us. About 2 or 3 times a week, we would take automatice fire and mortars. But we could go to Da Nang and walk around a bit. Second tour I made ii in country about 4 wks before the Tet Offences. Was in HMM 265, "46's. I paid my dues that tour. Gunnya@sgtgrit.com

glock9mm
03-22-08, 05:40 PM
cant remember if this was 66 or 68 with Bob Hope but it was great to be there
especialy when her zipper broke

This is proably you with your camera and nose right down front and up close

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/bob20hope20001-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/2.jpg
Thankyou, that sure looks like the back of my fat head.

Williamwfh
03-22-08, 06:49 PM
Does anyone remember the correct name of Dog Patch, was it "Hoa Phat"?

glock9mm
03-23-08, 02:12 PM
Does anyone remember the correct name of Dog Patch, was it "Hoa Phat"?
I thought it was Phuc Ton.

Williamwfh
03-24-08, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrXdXm7-iCA&NR=1, Bob Hope Chistmas show 1965 on "You Tube". DaNang is part of it by about 1 second.

Williamwfh
03-24-08, 02:32 PM
Found a side view of this picture in question at: http://www.the60sofficialsite.com/Pictures_From_The_Vietnam_War.html

ggyoung
03-24-08, 03:37 PM
Still no pitcher of ANN in her white shorts.

yellowwing
03-24-08, 03:57 PM
Still no pitcher of ANN in her white shorts.
Close enough?
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/ann-margret-vietnam.jpg

ggyoung
03-24-08, 06:17 PM
Wing=Sorry but not even close. They were real short and it looked like she had been melted and poured into them

hrscowboy
03-24-08, 07:50 PM
I can remember when charley pride showed up over there first time i ever saw a black man sing Country Western. it was a good show..

Williamwfh
03-25-08, 07:41 AM
Here is another web site I found about the early 1966 Bob Hope and Ann Margeret Show in DaNang: http://www.war-stories.com/dn-poss-bob-hope-1966.htm

Williamwfh
03-25-08, 10:04 PM
This is not what we are looking for but just for "fun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmFm7N7M0o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmFm7N7M0o)

glock9mm
03-26-08, 09:33 AM
This is not what we are looking for but just for "fun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmFm7N7M0o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmFm7N7M0o)
Hey William,
Those same monkeys were in DogPatch in '66, love you long time, numba 1.
Two packs Kool.

Williamwfh
03-26-08, 11:24 AM
Yeah, anyone drunk, or dumb enough to put on blinders and start kissing deserves what they get!!!??? 25 peasters, pushy pushy, boom boom girls go all the way all day in Dog Patch. In the early days of 65/66 VD by day and sometimes VC by night.

Williamwfh
04-07-08, 08:22 PM
The Agony and the Ecstasy staring Charlton Heston was shown on our out side screen, and tracers flew over head during parts of it. We were 1<SUP>st</SUP> Light Anti Aircraft Missile Battalion H&S located about &#190; of the way down DaNang’s runway. The next morning a helicopter landed and in our old French compound and one of the people was Charlton Heston. I did not speak to him but he had asked our officers something and they pointed him in the direction of the Message Center which is were I was standing in the door way, and the this of course is off limits to every one except a few of us, and to make things worse, there are no signs posted because we did not want to advertise the small building‘s business. As Mr. Heston walked nearer I considered my options, greet him with a hand shake, or a 45, anyway our commanding officer seeing the upcoming issue quickly intervened and escorted Mr. Heston off to the “Head”.

The day or so before Jim Neighbor’s (Gome Pyle) visited our compound, but I was off performing messenger duty service. After the Buddhist rebellion and we had been put under seize for a month or longer and on meager ration’s for weeks Phyllis Diller and another high ranking lady joined us for dinner of lobster and crab, and this was our first dinner after the seize was lifted. We went from the spam and powdered eggs to lobster and crab, and did we ever get sick, those 4 hole outhouses were busy all night and the next day - what was the clever cook and doctor thinking giving us that rich dinner. I should have gone to “Dog Patch” for dinner.

Is the MP available who stopped the 4 Sherman tanks at Dog Patch’s four corners during the Buddhist rebellion and just after the South Vietnamese bombed the marcher? I would like to communicate with him - he was a gutsy marine.

DaveMarine
04-21-08, 06:12 PM
I also remember Dogpatch as the off limits vill. in 1967. I made my trip my las night in Viet Nam. did not get caught. As we all remember it was pretty run down, justgrass/straw and a few concrete buildings. Most was dirty and the road was dirty all the time if not just dirt.

I was in Viet Nam March 6 - 21, 2008 and beleve me Dog Patch has changed. New buildings, new homes, addresses, new paved streets. Can't get much past the end of the 2 block street, there is an Army base at the old hill 327.
The DaNang airport fence has moved back about 3-4 blocks. the whole area is quite built up now and much cleaner and prosperous and populated.

Dave Schiel
USMC Retired:flag:

SEABEEfromMCB5
04-24-08, 01:55 PM
Hello;

I was a Seabee (UTW-3),with MCB5, in country from 10/65 thru 5/66.
Our base camp (Camp Hoover), was just at the foot of Hill 327, about 1/2 mile west of Dogpatch.

My main job was water treatment, (providing fresh, clean water to all you Marines), and I helped lay an 8" water line several miles thru the rice paddies up a Marine HQ, in the foothills just west of our base camp.

Although Dogpatch was off-limits to Marines, we Seabees could go there for liberty during the daylight hours if we wore civilian clothes - they were trying to reduce the "military presence" at that time.

Several of us used to sneak out at night thru a hole in the perimeter wire at our NE corner bunker and take the back way into Dogpatch, along the rice paddy berms - didn't want to get caught on the road after dark or the MP's would say bad words.

We thought we were being really sneaky at the time, and that no one knew about these little forays to the bars and *****houses.

Years later, I found a notation in MCB5's cruise book about our "night patrols to Dogpatch", so apparently more people knew about this than we thought.

Thank you all for your Service....
Semper Fi

Ed Palmer
04-24-08, 03:10 PM
I cant be sure but somebody told me that either Yellow wing or HRS Cowboy was caught screwing this young lady in Dogpatch, Of course they said she looked a lot better in the dark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/colgate.jpg

ecfree
04-24-08, 03:36 PM
Amazing what beatle nut will do to a persons smile.:D

glock9mm
04-25-08, 09:00 AM
Hello;

I was a Seabee (UTW-3),with MCB5, in country from 10/65 thru 5/66.
Our base camp (Camp Hoover), was just at the foot of Hill 327, about 1/2 mile west of Dogpatch.

My main job was water treatment, (providing fresh, clean water to all you Marines), and I helped lay an 8" water line several miles thru the rice paddies up a Marine HQ, in the foothills just west of our base camp.

Although Dogpatch was off-limits to Marines, we Seabees could go there for liberty during the daylight hours if we wore civilian clothes - they were trying to reduce the "military presence" at that time.

Several of us used to sneak out at night thru a hole in the perimeter wire at our NE corner bunker and take the back way into Dogpatch, along the rice paddy berms - didn't want to get caught on the road after dark or the MP's would say bad words.

We thought we were being really sneaky at the time, and that no one knew about these little forays to the bars and *****houses.

Years later, I found a notation in MCB5's cruise book about our "night patrols to Dogpatch", so apparently more people knew about this than we thought.

Thank you all for your Service....
Semper Fi
SEABEEfromMCB5 (member.php?u=51705)
Do you remember a guy from Chicago named Joe Sebring who was in your outfit?
glock9mm (member.php?u=50140)

davblay
04-25-08, 09:11 AM
I cant be sure but somebody told me that either Yellow wing or HRS Cowboy was caught screwing this young lady in Dogpatch, Of course they said she looked a lot better in the dark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/colgate.jpg

Couldn't have been wing, he was a peacetime Marine! Had to be hrscowboy,The FNG! LMAO

Dave

SGT7477
04-25-08, 09:30 AM
Oh man now that is funny, lmfao.

yellowwing
04-25-08, 10:43 AM
Couldn't have been wing, he was a peacetime Marine! Had to be hrscowboy,The FNG! LMAO

Dave
Must've been hrscowboy, I was three years old in 68. She could have washed my diapers!

SEABEEfromMCB5
04-25-08, 02:03 PM
SEABEEfromMCB5 (member.php?u=51705)
Do you remember a guy from Chicago named Joe Sebring who was in your outfit?
glock9mm (member.php?u=50140)
Glock9mm:

Sorry, I didn't know anyone by the name Joe Sebring.

I looked thru MCB-Five's Cruise Book for the '65-'66 Danang tour, but could not find the photo or name anyone named "Sebring", but I only have names and photos of the '65-'66 tour.

My second tour was down in the Delta on the Mekong River with River Patrol Section 513, based at SaDec, so I dont have any info on anyone in MCB-Five after mid '66.

Good Luck.. and take care

DaveMarine
08-29-08, 10:23 PM
I do. It was the vill below Hill 317. In fact I was just there in March. It has CHANGED, very nice homes all with address plaques, paved street.lights, etc.

Spent 2 weeks in RVN, Khe Sanh, DaNang, An Hoa, Hoa An, Chu Lai, Hue, Phu bai, Con Thien, Gio Linh, cam Lo, Street W/O Joy, Mai Loc, Hia Lang Pass, Rockpile, Route 9, Camp carroll, camp Evans, dong Ha, Quang Tri, Hills 10, 25, 37, 41, 52,
55, 65, China Beach,, Red Beach, Hanoi, Marble MT, libertty Bridge, Antenna valley, Arizona Territory, Hue, Ho Che Minh Trail, a Shau valley, Lang Vei,

I got dirt from each location.

I plan to return in 2010 and future years to remember and commerate. If anyone is interested in returning please let me know.

Dave Schiel
dapasc@imonmail.com

Williamwfh
08-30-08, 12:22 AM
I would like to return to Phuc Ton, or Dog Patch if that is the name of the village by the DaNang airport. In March I had a serious heart attack with two arteies involved, and since then both my carotid arties have been clean and the left one was rebuilt using plastics. By 2010 I should be ready for a trip -- there are some people I would like to see again and issues I would like to resolve if I could.

DaveMarine
09-02-08, 11:24 AM
Semper Fi and welcome home.

Sorry to hear about your medical issues but glad to hear you are recuperating. I will add you to my list of those interested in returning to RVN in 2010.

Take care

:usmc:Dave Schiel:flag:

Williamwfh
09-02-08, 06:56 PM
Do you know how do you insert a picture? The doctors at Tripler Army Medical Center took pictures of my neck operation.

AnHoaVet
09-11-08, 04:42 PM
I sure do remember Dog Patch. Drove through it quite often in '69 & '70. Never actually stopped there since a dude I went through boot camp with was an MP at Freedom Hill. He often told stories about Jarheads getting arrested. So, I did not want him catching me.
I spent a lot of time at Freedom Hill cause I was the CO's driver with Echo arty battery/5th Marines at An Hoa. Also drove a duce & a half!

glock9mm
09-11-08, 05:31 PM
Hey Dave,
I'm getting ready to retire pretty soon and the Dogpatch area always had a nice mountain view. Close to the Gulf too for swimming. It's probably a lot nicer now without "Puff" raining down steel every night, the New Jersey lobbing shells overhead and the gooks firing those bloody rockets out of the paddies. Maybe I'll go back in 2010 and check if they're ready to sell some condo's. Location, location, location, and probably pretty cheap.
Semper Fi

I do. It was the vill below Hill 317. In fact I was just there in March. It has CHANGED, very nice homes all with address plaques, paved street.lights, etc.

Spent 2 weeks in RVN, Khe Sanh, DaNang, An Hoa, Hoa An, Chu Lai, Hue, Phu bai, Con Thien, Gio Linh, cam Lo, Street W/O Joy, Mai Loc, Hia Lang Pass, Rockpile, Route 9, Camp carroll, camp Evans, dong Ha, Quang Tri, Hills 10, 25, 37, 41, 52,
55, 65, China Beach,, Red Beach, Hanoi, Marble MT, libertty Bridge, Antenna valley, Arizona Territory, Hue, Ho Che Minh Trail, a Shau valley, Lang Vei,

I got dirt from each location.

I plan to return in 2010 and future years to remember and commerate. If anyone is interested in returning please let me know.

Dave Schiel
dapasc@imonmail.com

dfglorso
09-19-08, 05:06 AM

Sempers
Jim

I remember walking back to MAG 11 through dog patch in mass with other marines after the Bob Hope Show let out Xmas 1968. Yes dog patch was off limits, but walking was quicker than waiting for a duce and a half. The locals watch us pass in awh. Anyone else remember that day?

Semper Fi

macsurfcat
09-19-08, 08:35 AM
Ahh, yeah. If you were a Marine, and you contracted a social disease, then you remember Dog Patch.

I was sent to NCO SCHOOL in Danang and as a grad exercise we ran a patrol out a Red Beach gate and through parts of the ville. The *****s thought it was the skivie run of the century . . .

cw2533
09-30-08, 01:31 PM
Was there outside of Da Nang on a hill with 3rd Motors,along side us was 3rd tanks< 3rd amtracs and 3rd Ontos. We could see every thing up there. I was the comm chief and our radios were in a concrete french fort. Anyone from 3rd motors,especially comm section? Drove thru many times in early 66 but never stopped. Moved 3rd div north mid 66.

pfotoguy
10-03-08, 10:09 PM
I remember Dog Patch!! did a lot of ****ing there. wasn't closed off in 66-67

I'm about to return after 42 years. will be going back this month (Oct). Hanoi, Da Nang, Sigon

was stationed at the ammo dump. on 327

MJSweeney
10-08-08, 07:35 PM

I'm about to return after 42 years. will be going back this month (Oct). Hanoi, Da Nang, Sigon

I went back a few years ago, will never forget the trip, stay at the Rex in saigon if you can, 5 star Hotel and pretty inexpensive. Da Nang has changed considerably, I tried to locate where I was during Tet and could not find it until I spoke to a Young lad who told me that his Uncle told him that DaNang changed 3 or 4 times since the War, everything is built so cheaply that it just falls down after ten years or so.
I'll go back again thats for sure.
GFood luck
Mike sweeney 3rd MP's at the west side of Hill 327

Mike Dybus
10-12-08, 10:03 AM

Hey pfotoguy! Do I perhaps know you?? I was also an ammo tech stationed at asp-1 from April 1966 until January 1967.
Small world I am going back to Da Nang also! This coming May 2009.

I'm putting together a site dedicated to ASP-1 and have some pics of the Ammo Dump and some of Dogpatch. If you want Check it out Here (http://www.goingback.org). For the present I have only photos and very little dialogue. I hope to have the dialogue completed before my upcoming trip to the States next month, Nov. 4. I'll be in the States for 3 months then back to Holland where I'm living. I hope to get back a bunch of photos I have on loan to my old local Marine Corps League. When I do I'll scan them and put them on my site Before going back to Viet Nam. I'll post the then and now pics on my site when I'm back.

Lastly a Hello to all here I am looking foward to some interesting reading.

Semper Fi

Mike Dybus

PS So pfotoguy Do We Know Each Other?

pfotoguy
10-18-08, 09:12 PM
Hello, I looked at your web sight but sorry to say the picture wasnt familure. I was there during that time.

I used to have 100s of pictures but right after I got back someone broke in to my house and stole everything. so I have none left.

OK update:
THERE STILL IS A DOGPATCH!!! but it's not the same. the hill has been taken over by the Vietnames army and is blocked off now. there was a small dirt road going (somewhere) up towards the hill but it was impassabale at the time.
I didn't get any new pics either. It was raining so hard you couldn't hardly see out of the car windows. Hope you have better luck.

Do you remember Sgt Boo. a rather rotuned black man that was a hell of a good guy. I got laid up in camp with boils fore a few days and he always brought me food from the chow hall.

To be honest I dont remember to much about those days anymore.
Had PTSD for a number of years but we're past that now.

hope you have a good trip. add some more pics to your website if you can the effort is appreciated.

simper fi

BTW my name is Bill Sutton

montana
10-18-08, 10:23 PM
anyone remember the railroad bed with no tracks on it....real corse gravel an not real nice to hump on.....made many trips up and down them...in que son vally...all i remember about dog patch is walking past it to catch a chopper back to ross...and a few storys from some skaters in our outfit

be safe good people

Mike Dybus
10-27-08, 11:28 AM
pfotoguy,

Too bad about the rain! I was wondering about the monsoons when you said you were going to be there in October. When I go over in May I'll be sure to post the "Now" Dogpatch photos.

I cannot remember your name, 40 + years erodes the memory. but if you want to reminisce about the dump let us not hijack this topic but do it at the ASP-1 topic I started or email me with one of my links.
Nice to meet you Bill

Williamwfh
10-27-08, 05:14 PM
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/wfh123/DSC_0037.jpg?t=1225145308

At Tripler Army Medical Center Honolulu, Hawaii I had the best profession teams available for both my heart attack in March of 2008 and both carotid artery procedures. The left side carotid artery was photographed at my request by one of the many attending doctors in the operating room -- Bottom right view of diseased vascular wall.

Williamwfh
10-27-08, 05:18 PM
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/wfh123/DSC_0006.jpg?t=1225145704
The opening: Carotid artery surgery is a surgical procedure to restore adequate blood flow to the brain.

Williamwfh
10-27-08, 05:23 PM
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/wfh123/DSC_0031.jpg?t=1225145966
Dr. Kellicut did not actually remove the wall of the artery. The plastic tube "shunt" is to allow blood to continue flowing to the brain while they removed the atherosclerotic plaque. The scares on both sides of the neck are matching "cosmetic" nothing more than a thin lines, and to close they use glue, not stitching. As you can plainly see these doctors are beyond medically trained modern and gifted and ready to perform their much needed tasks. Now both my arteries are cleaned and I am good to go for decades. More likely than not this Vascular damage was attributed to the use of tobacco produces or in second hand smoke conditions. Furthermore, Tripler’s doctors took care of my heart attack in March of this year with the placement of two stents.

Williamwfh
10-28-08, 01:02 AM
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/wfh123/DSC_0014.jpg?t=1225173270
Actually, Dr. Kellicut used a combination of stitches and glue. The stitches go under the skin and the glue seals the skin closed. One typo also. The scares on both sides of the neck are matching, should read "The scars on both sides of neck are matching".

There is a lot of base line 1965/66 Danang and some dusty Chu Lai, Dog Patch, Hai Van Pass, Marble Mountain, Hill 55, Monkey Mountain, etc resting here in these veins.

Romeo Papa
10-29-08, 02:31 AM
Oh yes, I stopped by DogPatch and Four Corners several times, In country R&R, out from the bush, 0311, that was in 1968, that is where I got my first dose of the clapp. Baby sahn's had some nasty pootang. I used protection from than on!!! Delta Company, 1/1st MARDIV.

Ha! You Delta dudes humped Rock apes.:D I didn't catch anything in that place but I almost got caught. Bravo 1/1 67-68

sgtvern
11-05-08, 07:56 PM
Top, I was there with VMFA-115 in 66 & 67. I remember that B-52. The enormous tail of that baby was real near the bend in the perimeter road.
Were you in HQ Mag-11 or what? I was "on loan" to H&MS-11 for a few months. Damn, that flight line was hot!

godfather1013
11-11-08, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=jinelson]Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

I have some pictures of dogpatch circa 1967-1968 if I knew how to upload them I would do so for all you vets that were there.
I might add that the skivvie houses were mostly centered at Red Beach where all the supplies brought by the Navy were dropped off and everyone that had a license for a 6X tried to make supply runs. One of our Marines on a supply run traded a K-bar for a pallet of beer. We got caught and the sailor was NJP'ed and we had to return the beer except by that time a lot of it was gone.
Do any of you Viet Vets recall hearing the stories of some of the troops getting the veneral disease called Black Balls as this disease had no cure and you died from it the ones that had it were sent to the Phillipines where they died and the family was informed they were KIA. Don't know if it is true or not just wondering if anyone else had heard of it.

I was stationed at the H&MS11 Bomb Dump in '68. I remember Dogpatch well. It was off limits but, being Marines, we never let that stop us. There were quiet a few friendly Baby- Sans there. If my memory serves me, the name of Dogpatch was actually Ho-Phat, or something very similar.
As for the VD 'Black Balls', that was scuttlebut passed around to keep us the hell away from the vills. They told us that they were sending these guys to Guam to die, and the families were told that they were MIA at first, then KIA. That still didn't keep us away. Semper Fi!:flag:

wizard1948
11-17-08, 06:21 PM
I was there when the bomb dimp blew up. It started on Sunday morning and hit small arms on Monday morning. I remember a truck full of WP went up and it was amazing and scary as hell. tHE

wizard1948
11-17-08, 06:31 PM
[quote=wizard1948;412629]I was there when the bomb dump blew up. It started on Sunday morning and hit small arms on Monday morning. I remember a truck full of WP went up and it was amazing and scary as hell. There was unexploded ordinance everywhere the next day. Most of the units atound 327 were ecacuated and only MABS11 stuck around to protect the airbase. The concussion waves were huge and youi only had about 10 seconds once you saw them coming to take cover. I had hearing problems when I first came home but attributed to the noise from the A4 and E6 warming up at the ready revetments. I think that the dump was blown in April 1969 shortly after TET.

godfather1013
11-17-08, 08:31 PM
I got to the Dump right after the '68 offensive, and left in March of '69. Charlie hit us almost every other day with mortars and rockets. I was really surprised that he never hit any of the ordnance before they hit it in '69. We got so used to it, a lot of us never stopped going to the bunkers when he hit us. Stupid GD kids that we were. Loved going to the Patch and to Red Beach.

DocGreek
11-24-08, 03:07 PM
Gentlemen.....Dog Patch? Red Beach? Skivvie Houses? DaNang? Sitting in bunkers, while being mortared? How did I miss signing up for that duty?

VERN98
12-01-08, 12:01 PM
I was at MAG 11 in 66-67. Dogpatch was just across the road from our main gate. Wondered by they called it Dogpatch till I saw a guy butcher a dog in his yard.
The Phantoms were before I got there but I remember a jet jockey doing an emergency landing one day. Had it firmly on the runway in the foam and for some reason hit the throttle and lifted off. Made 1 pass and landed. Gotta be the only Jarhead to make 2 emergency landings in i day with the SAME airplane. The other big wreck we had was a USAF C-141 that got hit on the runway by a fully loaded A6. Nothing left of either plane except the tail secion of the C141. It sat at the north end of the runway for a long time.

godfather1013
12-01-08, 12:16 PM
They did love their dog stew. When I was a 'Newbie', I was walking along the fence line, and there was a little puppy on our side of the fence. This mama-san asked me to get it for her. I started to pick it up, when this sentry in a guard tower told me to let it alone. He said she wanted it for her stew pot, and that if I gave it to her, he would shoot me. He looked like he meant it. ;>)

glock9mm
12-06-08, 12:04 AM
Top, I was there with VMFA-115 in 66 & 67. I remember that B-52. The enormous tail of that baby was real near the bend in the perimeter road.
Were you in HQ Mag-11 or what? I was "on loan" to H&MS-11 for a few months. Damn, that flight line was hot!

I was with VMCJ-1 in '66 & "67. I think we were right next door to you guys on the flight line. Some of your launch guys used to come over to shoot the **** and help launch our birds.
SEMPER FI

DocGreek
12-06-08, 09:02 AM
Anyone remember Qua Viet, in the summer of 69'? BOOM!! So much for "in-country R&R!!" The beach was nice, though! Warm beer was a treat! U.S.O. show was okay, too! Food? Better than C-Rats! BUT....the explosions, from the ammo dump, made for a 4th of July celebration! Drunk, and passed out, don't remember leaving that little paradise!....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

VERN98
12-08-08, 11:38 AM
Yep - that was us. I was working in the F8 radar shop. I remenber your guys screaming when the power died half way thru a long test in the SACE vans. Had to start over after 4 hrs of wasted effort.
Better than even chance our paths crossed more than once. Kind of hard to be there 13 months and not connect at some point. Interesting tour but I wouldn't want to do it again.
These guys talking about a B52 need to get their facts right. It wasn't a B52 it was a C141. B52s could land at Danang but they could take off. Runway wasn't wide enough. The C141 was crossing the runway loaded with oxygen and acetylene cylinders when the tower gave takeoff clearance to an A6 loaded with bombs. Made one Hell of a bang. Only thing left of either acft was the tail section of the C141 that sat at the north east end of the runway for a long time. "Official" word was a different story but a guy in the next hut over heard the actual transmission on his scanner and the tower did give clearance to both acft.

glock9mm
12-09-08, 10:31 PM
Hey Vern,
I had totally forgotten about the A-6 and 141 collision. If I can remember, no one could get near that thing for a couple of days and nights because ordnance kept cooking off. I also remember when we got rocketed. There was a story that when all the line guys ran across the road to take up defensive positions during the attack behind the 60 crew in the sandbagged tower, some knucklehead tripped in the ditch by the hangars and broke his leg. Story was that he got a purple heart and was sent home. Lucky guy.

Noynik
12-15-08, 08:02 PM
I was in 1st MAW. Stayed in the H&MS-17 compound just down the road from MoterT and right across the road from the Air Force Security squadron (the place with the big yellow building with the gigantic engines and generators). We were regulars to Dog Patch. Loved the place! Took some incoming while we were out there with the girls... exciting times!! Went bowling and drinking at the beer garden on Freedom Hill a lot. Loved the PX, bought all kinds of stuff!

bushwacker
12-16-08, 10:31 PM
:marine:[was there in 69-70 had to take you back to your unit. patrolled area around the hill. knew allot of the girls. lover and candy my favorites!quote=younglords;129586]

Sempers
Jim [/QUOTE}

Jim,
I remember Dog Patch, I was one of the AFP`s (Armed Forces Police) that patrolled that area, was assigned to Delta Co. 3rd MP Bn. Caught many a marine there making skivvie runs. Even caught our XO and CO there once, the day after they lectured us about us going on a skivvie run. Danang was open to us though for all kinds of skivvie runs, I boom boom long time while being an AFP, lol
Eddie....

Noynik
12-17-08, 03:39 AM
I was a 3421 working the Disbo Office at 1st MAW. After a party at the 1st MAW EM Club about 10 of us went on a skivvie run to Dog Patch. After having fun all night it was time to try to get back on base. It was about 4am and there was NO traffic to hitch hike. We all were really drunk and didn't know what to do. So, as drunken logic would dictate the best way to get back on base was for all of us to all march arm in arm, down the main street of Dog Patch singing the Marine Corp Hymn, to gate 12. Our drunken logic was that there would be safety in numbers (parade??) and the MP's at the gate would salute us as we marched in (have you stopped lauphing yet...).

The gates slamed shut, jeeps came up from all directions, numerous weapons were pointed in our direction and we all went to the brig.

As luck would have it our logic worked in a way we hadn't considered.

Payday was right around the corner and the disburing office needed each and everyone of us. Instead of leaving 1000's of Marines go unpaid (pretty ugly...) the decision was made to release us from the brig and leave the repremanding to our Captain!!

So, in the end there WAS saftey in numbers!!! ;) :banana:

Noynik
12-17-08, 03:49 AM
On a sadder note. One evening as we went out to visit our girls we noticed something had changed as soon as we entered. Between some candles and incence on the wall was a picture of one of the girls. All the other girls were crying... I asked what was wrong.

Her brother had been kidnapped by the VC. She was told that if she didn't go with them and be a prostitute for the NVA they would kill her brother.

We never saw her again...

Noynik
12-17-08, 03:56 AM
Then there was the time when two buddies of mine and I were in the vill for some fun. I was in the rack going at it with my girl when we started taking incoming. The room lit up when a rocket had exploded just behind the house. Everyone scrambled for the bunker.....but us. I was having too good a time and REALLY didn't want to stop at that moment. I kept on going. She was giggling like crazy. A few minutes later we reluctantly went to the bunker which was only a few feet away.

Noynik
12-17-08, 04:03 AM
Bushwacker; I may have seen you there! One evening I heard a number of american voices enter the house. I peeked out to see a couple MP's. I figured I was busted. I wasn't. It was a team from sick bay (to MP's and a doc) treating girls that had "bugs".

Watching and hearing the girls scream and curse in Vietnamees when the needle went into her butt cracked me up!! LMAO!! :bunny:

Noynik
12-17-08, 04:09 AM
Sitting here thinking about Dog Patch is bringing back LOTS of memories!!

One morning as we woke up in Dog Patch I heard a lot of noise out on the street. I looked out the front door onto the main street of Dog Patch and saw a six-by with a bunch of locals running behind it with buckets. The Marines on board were pouring slop out of 55 gal barrels. I recognized those barrels from when we would clean our plates in the Mess Hall!! This freaked me out!!

Back on base I asked around about this.

Apparently, distributing the waste food from our mess halls to the people of near by villages was part of the rent the U.S. paid for the use of the DaNang Air Base!!! Incredible if true!!! :scared:

Noynik
12-17-08, 04:16 AM
My buddies and I headed out to Dog Patch on the 4th of July. Having never been in DaNang for the 4th of July I had no idea what to expect. We just went on partying and drinking as usual and by midnight we were in prime shape!! When midnight came the skies lite up! It seemed like every Marine on base and off starting firing their weapons.

At that time all the colored flares meant nothing. Red, Green, White, hell every flare imaginable was going into the sky celebrating the 4th.

Although I was "off limits" I had to join in the celebration. I laid on my back behind the house and set off a mag of rounds into the air from my M-16 into the air in the direction of an open field.

It was a beautiful sight that night in Dog Patch!!! :marine:

Noynik
12-17-08, 04:34 AM
Bushwacker, one of the houses we frequented had a bunker in the middle of the house built from green sand bags. Hidden next to the bunker was a secret hiding place built for hiding from MP raids.

The children of Dog Patch were it's "alarm system". The girls pay the kids to be their "MP Alarm". When they saw you guys coming they would start running around screaming "MP MP MP MP MP".

At that everyone would scramble into the secret hiding place. Most of the time there wasn't any time to put our clothes on so I though that was VERY rude of you guys.... ;-) there wasn't much space in that little spot, it got REALLY hot and sweaty in there while you guys walked around outside!!

One time one of the girls started getting clastrophobic. We had to put our hands over her mouth so you guys wouldn't here her screaming.

Did you guys ever find that hide out?

Hint: Coming from the front of the house, just as you walked down the hall past the bunker on the left there was a room which had a table against the left wall as you entered. Moving that table aside would expose the crack in the wall that would open the door to the hide out. We were able to pack 8 or so people in there. :confused:

Noynik
12-17-08, 05:16 AM
I was just watching TV and they were showing re-runs of when Bob Hope came to Freedom Hill. I remember being one of the 1000's that attended that one.... :)

DocGreek
12-17-08, 09:34 AM
MAN, O' MAN AL!! You've found your personal forum, to chat in! I'm jealous! That's OK, all that time, in the bush, finally got me 100%.....only took 40 years!!......SEMPER FI.......Doc Greek

Noynik
12-17-08, 10:00 AM
I have too admit we had WAY too much fun for Marines in a war zone. But, in the end it wasn't us who assigned us to that job.

Actually I was VERY upset at ITR when I was the only Marine in the company to not be a grunt. When the sargent yelled out "3421" I had no idea what it was....

As a joke, a freind of mine and I took a class in high school to be around a bunch of cute girls toward the end of our senior year. While messing with the girls we also learned how to type, key punch and use calculators and adding machines.

I have no doubt that is why I was singled out. There must have been a call for Disbursing clerks when I graduated from boot camp....

As it turns out that one screw off class continued to have a major impact on my future.....

DocGreek
12-17-08, 12:25 PM
Al....please don't take offence, to what I said. When I post in "Devil Doc's", hardly any response! At least you have something to share, with Bro's, who were there!....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Noynik
12-17-08, 12:36 PM
Na, of course not. When we get as old as we are we realize that it's important to hang on to any good memories we have and do our best to not think about the bad.

Harrier Hawk
12-20-08, 12:37 PM
These guys talking about a B52 need to get their facts right. It wasn't a B52 it was a C141.

No, it WAS a B-52. It had sustained a hydraulics failure and attempted an emergency 'landing' at DaNang. I was at the end (VMGR-152 SubUnit) of the runway when it went screaming by me. I thought 'Damn that's a big plane, and why isn't it in the air?'. I added to that instant thought 'And why the hell is the chute deployed!?'. Seconds later, it was sliding through the minefield, going up in explosions and flames. I witnessed the only survivor (tailgunner) being lifted off the tail section by the USAF Crash Helo. The tailgunner had grabbed onto the hanging fire extinguisher suspended below the helo and it lifted him off. The others perished. I've posted some photos (not much to recognise other than the tail) over on Together We Served.

Harrier Hawk
12-20-08, 12:48 PM
That would have been July 8th, 1967. Af 22nd Bomb Wing B-52D Buno 56601.

iamcloudlander
02-16-09, 08:36 PM
I remember walking back to MAG 11 through dog patch in mass with other marines after the Bob Hope Show let out Xmas 1968. Yes dog patch was off limits, but walking was quicker than waiting for a duce and a half. The locals watch us pass in awh. Anyone else remember that day?

Semper Fi

have pictures of this event if I knew how I would send them to you not all of them as they tended to go bad as it has been over 40 years.

godfather1013
02-16-09, 10:04 PM
I remember that show well. We all walked back through Dogpatch. We caught a ride from the mess hall back to the bomb dump. We held up a big sign with H&Ms 11 Bomb Dump on it, hoping that they would show it on TV back in the World, but they did not, of course. It was a good show, though. Bob Hope was a real patriot, always going to put on a show for the Military. A real good guy.
John Zaffino (godfather1013)

DocGreek
02-16-09, 10:48 PM
GODFATHER....CARMEL/MT.PLEASENT?? My memory isn't worth a sh!t, BUT....when I was about 5, or 6, my Mom and Dad lived in that area, when my dad was still in the R.A.F....don't know WHY....BUT...too many dead 60's brain cells!!.....SEMPER FI.....DOC

godfather1013
02-17-09, 05:12 AM
Hey Doc;
Carmel is about 15 miles north of Mt Pleasant, but they are both north of White Plains. You've got the right area my friend. How are you?

DocGreek
02-17-09, 05:59 AM
WHITE PLAINS?? When I was a squirt...my buddy's, and I, would ride the BUS there, to see a movie, go to the HUGE Hobby Shop, and drooool over the model trains, and R/C airplanes!!!....Great old times!! TODAY.....one day at a time!.....SEMPER FI....DOC

William Hardy
03-14-09, 03:13 PM
I remember Dog Patch. I was with 1st Maw MWCS-1. We were in the old French quarters. I was there in 1969-1970. We were delayed arriving due to ASP-1 going up. As soon as the fireworks were over, we were flown in. Dog Patch was quickly pointed out to us. The reception center was flattened, but we processed through it anyway. The guy sitting at the table pointed down the hill and said that's Dog Patch. It's off-limits. Can't tell you how many times I walked through it going to Freedom Hill, 1st MarDiv and the numerous courier runs I went on.

:iwo:

MELVIN1833
03-14-09, 05:10 PM
:usmc:Hello Jinelson, good hearing from all you men who was in nam, i can remember dog patch well . I was with 1st marines amtrac's over by hill 357 along with tanks and the 155, son-a -*****es like to have drove me crazy going off every 10 to 15 minutes. this was from july 65 until march 66,i was at okanawa before they move us to nam.

Mustang Marine
03-14-09, 05:45 PM

Sempers
Jim
I believe that was the first place heard someone said something about "snake eater" Hell, I thought they where talkin' about momm sun sucking my pipes clear. Until they said you, "snake eating bullet catcher, don't be all day."
Got one for you
anyone from Con Thien around the sept-oct-or so? Ya remember the old woman that burned **** and didn't have a tooth in her mouth. She'd give BJ for a dollar, ya'd have to have a playboy or penthouse over her head. Didn't want her to get her head wet in the rain! Damn, where we ever that young?

DocGreek
03-15-09, 06:28 AM
Gentlemen....I'll put this as nicely, as I possibly can. In Dogpatch, did they sell "Tiger-Pizz"?? How about "Thai-Sticks"?? PLEASE UNDERSTAND....those of us, who were stuck, in the bush, for 30, to 45 days at a time, and came back to a Combat Base, or Quang Tri, or Dong Ha, hearing your stories of "CONQUEST", is VERY difficult for us to accept. Are any of you gentlemen receiving disability, for P.T.S.D.???....Just wondered......Doc Greek

redman1
03-15-09, 09:32 AM
I agree Doc, I was in Dog Patch and BJ's were the last thing on my mind. I thank God that I was in three different units over there and everyone of us knew what we were there for and did it. I heard stories of sex in Da Nang and different things the women would do with razor blades and shoe boxes blowing up. I served with some of the best the Marine Corps had to offer and I made it back.
Guess they didn't pass out enough salt peter, although just looking at Mama San would have that effect on me.
I never saw anything in Nam that I wanted and never saw any of that beautiful country they say is there. All I saw was hell and don't won't to ever see it again.
There were a coulple of young girls serving drinks at our home base bar but we treated them with respect. I did get the chance to fly kites with some orphans one day when we went by on orphanage on patrol. That's probably the only good memory I have of Nam.
Semper Fi Redman1

montana
03-15-09, 10:18 AM
hey Doc..in the same boat here...heard lots of storys when in the rear (FB ROSS)..and walked past it once going to catch a chopper back to Ross...but they never let us out of the bush for any extended R&R maybe three to five days the back out but at least we never felt we was over there for nothing...the ambushes and boobytraps and rat holes kept us on our toes most the time...remember grunts starting to complane if we didnt get into some kinde of crap about getting bored...and say at least when we are in a firefight we feel like we are in this hell hole for a reason...kill gooks

DocGreek
03-15-09, 02:04 PM
MONTANA....HIT THE NAIL JUST RIGHT!!! I FULLY SUPPORT THE MARINES, IN THE REAR!! BUT......bragging about one's thrilling love life, with "Mamma-San", just rubs "OUR" faces in the DOO-DOO!!!.......DOC

Mustang Marine
03-15-09, 06:54 PM
Marines, Doc, I want to thank you for your consern, for my PTSD. I was sharing or trying to focus on some of the funny, and crazy times of my life. I certainly honor your tour and every person who was in WesPac. After 30 years in the Marine Corps, starting in Nam and having the honor to Serve with the Greatest, Most Outstanding, Brother Marines, Navy, and assorted Warriors all over the world I have found that I like remembering the things that can help me laugh.

DocGreek
03-15-09, 11:12 PM
0-6...."works for me!!" Thank-you for your service, and hard work. You're right, we ALL need some humor, and sillyness injected.....now, and then!.....DOC

Rove
03-16-09, 04:25 AM
in country 1968-69 Marble Mt MAG-16 ,,HMM-361,H&MS-16 and tons of time with Zulu co..summer 1968 we were sent to Dog Patch (bucu boom boom)to search for charlie one night//seems they liked to shoot mortars at us ramdomly..we spent all night and most of next day at DP...also went to base of Marble Mt between us and pow camp when the the Marines on top of Marble mt. with the recloiless guns were overrun..I think it was also summer 68,,in late 1968 also were sent to top of Monkey mt to search for vc harrassing AFVN tv-radio station..plus I flew out a few sorties here and there Hueys,34's and 46's ...anyway
. I do remember DP..not much of a place to remember..if I can recollect I was sent there when I got in country with cap 2/9 for a week then transferred to Zulu co..at Mag-16..can't remember exact month,,I think I was told cap 2/9 was getting disbanded, not sure..

marvin maddox
05-12-09, 11:37 AM
I went to the Dentist and stopped in on my way back
Grenades and Bandleers swinging, but I had to do it

joe31302
05-12-09, 01:15 PM

Sempers
Jim
hi jim,i was there 68-69 .i was on top of hill 327.mass-3 1st mardiv.just found this site.yes i remember dog patch very well and happy valley.good to hear a brother that knows were i was at.take with you again soon .GOD bless joe dowdy

marvin maddox
05-12-09, 01:24 PM
I had 2 reasons , 1- I could see the Red Cross Nurses, then-duck into a shack when the MPs were not looking.I kept all my gear on,ONLY time I had to have romance so dressed.
Mike Co. 3/3 Fighting Marine

DocGreek
05-12-09, 11:03 PM
M & M....you were with Mike, 3/3 in 65', and 66'??....OR, was it Mike, 2/3?? I served as a Doc, with Lima, 3/3 in 68' and 69'. DaNang, HUH? What was your MOS? I'm VERY interested with Marines bragging about thier triumphs, with mammasan's, how much hooch they drank, and how cheap the Tai-sticks were. When Marine buddy's of mine read this crap, they E-mail, or call me to *****. We'll remember you AZZHOLES playing, while good Men were being wounded and KILLED!!! Think I'll POST the names, and ranks of the Marines, who feel this INSULT!!!....SEMPER FVCKING FIDELIS....DOC

marvin maddox
05-13-09, 09:34 AM
what was yours?
Where are your medals?

DocGreek
05-13-09, 10:52 AM
M&M...I was, and STILL AM an 8404...in every way!! I stand by the ribbons in my signature!!...AND, I've got my DD214, and DD215 that I'd be HAPPY to send ANYONE...a copy of!!! If I said anything to attack you...personally, I apologize for being an AZZHOLE! Only reason I said ANYTHING...was because of the phone calls, and PM'S I've received. AGAIN, if I offended you...APOLOGIES EXTENDED!!....DOC

marvin maddox
05-13-09, 11:09 AM
Apology accepted
There are enough Draft Dodgers to vent our anger at.

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:02 AM
Hi Everyone,
I've just last week returned home from Da Nang. I thought while I was there I would update the photos of Dogpatch. Believe it or not except for the absence of the bordellos Dogpatch is pretty much the same as it was 40+years ago! Longer and wider for sure but still the same. I'll let the photos speak for them selves.
The first photo is looking into Dogpatch from across route 1 where flsg-a used to be.

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/001.JPG

This next series is travelling west towards the PX from route 1 to the left turnoff for ASP-1 and the Sea Bee camp, If you travelled another 100 yards or so the PX would have been on the left.

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/002.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/003.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:03 AM
http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/004.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/005.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/006.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:04 AM
http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/007.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/008.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/009.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:05 AM
http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/010.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/011.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/012.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:06 AM
http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/013.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/014.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/015.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:07 AM
The rest of the photos are travelling back towards route 1 from the PX and ending by the route 1 entrance.

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/016.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/017.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/018.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:08 AM
http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/019.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/020.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/021.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:09 AM
http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/022.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/023.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/024.JPG

Mike Dybus
06-02-09, 02:10 AM
http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/025.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/026.JPG

I do sincerely hope that you've enjoyed my little tour!

S/F

redman1
06-02-09, 04:58 AM
Mile thanks for the pictures. Brings back memories.
Semper Fi Redman1

DocGreek
06-03-09, 09:31 AM
JEEEEZ!!! Those pictures got me all wound-up!! Couldn't post here, till I got over it!....DOC

joeycap52
06-03-09, 10:49 AM
I was with Mike Dybus on Hill 327 back in 66. Went through Dogpatch more times than I can remember, especcially going down for chow 3 times a day til our mess hall was built. That was it though, never ventured there for anything else! :iwo:

Jack Schafer
06-03-09, 11:19 AM
I was there 8 Mos. in 66 & 9 Mos. in 67. Does anyone remember two girls & a boy that worked in their family hut by the name of Lee, Home, or Baa. (Probably spelled wrong) Their Dad was counterintelligence for the Vietnamese. Good people. I went to their school & paid for it till they graduated. At that time there was only huts on one side of the road. Like the pics. Brings back a lot of memories.

bootlace15
06-03-09, 12:27 PM
son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out

DocGreek
06-06-09, 10:16 AM
EVERYTIME I pass by this thread, I have picture memories jump out at me. WHY?? I only spent a few days in a Ville, and nothing happened, but guess I was on edge while there. Feel bad, for the "GOOD" Vietnamese...they deserved better.....DOC

T210
06-15-09, 07:58 PM
I was with Mike Dybus on Hill 327 back in 66. Went through Dogpatch more times than I can remember, especcially going down for chow 3 times a day til our mess hall was built. That was it though, never ventured there for anything else! :iwo:

Same, same. Dybus and me were buddies at ASP-1. I recall copping some goof-off time once or twice, and even managed to have a few beers and Get laid (once) in Dogpatch, before it went off limits around May or June of 66.
I remember being in country only a couple of weeks before I decided I was real glad not to be humping a ruck, but had a lot of respect for the guy's who did.

Jack Schafer
06-16-09, 08:00 AM
Does anyone remember Gary Thacker. He was in supply on 327 in 67. I traded him a go cart that I made in MCB 1 shop.

Mike Dybus
06-21-09, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE]son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out/QUOTE]

One of my Biggest surprises was the lack of that smell! Every once in a while you get a whiff that is perhaps 10% of what it used to be but only a whiff and then it's gone.

[QUOTE]Feel bad, for the "GOOD" Vietnamese...they deserved better.....DOC/QUOTE]

I honestly believe Doc that the people are doing better under this regime.
Each and every person I saw in my two weeks around Da Nang and Hue seemed to me Happy and enterprising. Not in the least suppressed.

Mike Dybus
06-21-09, 09:31 AM
son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out/QUOTE]

One of my Biggest surprises was the lack of that smell! Every once in a while you get a whiff that is perhaps 10% of what it used to be but only a whiff and then it's gone.

[QUOTE]Feel bad, for the "GOOD" Vietnamese...they deserved better.....DOC/QUOTE]

I honestly believe Doc that the people are doing better under this regime.
Each and every person I saw in my two weeks around Da Nang and Hue seemed to me Happy and enterprising. Not in the least suppressed.