PDA

View Full Version : Who Remembers Dog Patch?

Pages : 1 [2]

Mike Dybus
06-21-09, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE]son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out/QUOTE]

One of my Biggest surprises was the lack of that smell! Every once in a while you get a whiff that is perhaps 10% of what it used to be but only a whiff and then it's gone.

DocGreek
06-21-09, 11:37 AM
MIKE....I can STILL smell it...especially in some screwed up dreams!!....BUT the smell of dead, and dying over powers EVERYTHING!....GOD help us, ALL.....DOC

MarineKansas
08-24-09, 10:22 AM
I was with VMCJ-1 in '66 & "67. I think we were right next door to you guys on the flight line. Some of your launch guys used to come over to shoot the **** and help launch our birds.
SEMPER FI

I noticed your older post. I was in VMCJ-1 from July ' 67 - just in time for the bomb dump to go off. I was in Hydraulics.

iamcloudlander
08-24-09, 11:32 PM
MARINEKANSAS
I was in VMFA-122 from July 67 (advance party) we were between H&MS-11 and VMCJ-1. I also was a bubblechaser and missed being in the Sept 66 cadre from VMCJ-3 by a few days. When were you in A school in Memphis? You must have been in the class ahead of me as I left for El Toro Easter Sunday 66. What is your name as I might know you as we exchanged a lot of parts.

MarineKansas
08-25-09, 08:47 AM
I think I was maybe behind you. I went in Oct 1965. I was in the Hydraulics shop in VMCJ-3 to start after AIT and Memphis etc. - some time Spring 66.

Remember there were two guys - 1 an E-5 and the other maybe an E-4 who were extended and were in there fifth year?
Bitter - bitter - BITTER people. But I learned a lot from them.

I do remember the VMCJ-3 major rotation of equipment and pilots to Nam. I went down to Diego to help load the equipment on the LST. If you did - you will surely remember that the ship had not been in service since Korea! I could not remember when it was. I just remembered I was not in squadron long enough to be sent.

I rotated to Nam in July ' 67 just in time for the bomb dump surprise. I spent my year there and then reupped for the 2nd tour and went to H&MS11.

How did you get from VMCJ-3 to VMFA-122?
Us photo recon and electronics guys don't normally like to get our hands smudged with bombs and stuff.................. LOL
My name is Rich Green
I was from Indiana then.

Noynik
08-25-09, 09:51 AM
[quote=MarineKansas;535146]I think I was maybe behind you.

I too met some guys that didn't think going home was worth it. They were planning on spending the rest of their lives in Viet Nam. Who knows, may have been the same guys...

I was a Disbursing Clerk working at 1st MAW HQ. I was sleeping in a hut in the H&MS-17 compound. Not a part of VMCJ but I think we paid them.

Wisconsin
08-25-09, 06:06 PM
Top! You sure awoke a distant memory of DaNang. When that AF B52 crashed of the end of the runway there wasn't much left. If I remember correctly, the crew member in the tail section did suirvive. The same thing happened the night that a C141 was crossed the ruinway and was broadsided by a phantom taking off on a mission. I think the crew chief on the C141 ramp was blown out of the back aand survived. The load included oxygen and acetyline bottles flew all over the place when they exploded.

BVD
08-25-09, 07:06 PM
Was thru there many times , I was on hill 55 and we had a communicatins shot from Hill 55 to hill 327 and than to the ops center of 1st LAAM bn. When ever we could go on an admin run to Da Nang we would always go to the PX and beer garden at the base of 327.

DocGreek
08-25-09, 11:09 PM
Freedom Hill Px???

William Hardy
08-30-09, 11:16 AM
Hey Doc...when did you medvac out? Maybe we ran into each other at the Red Cross center at Freedom Hill while checking out the women? LOL

Wrench3516
08-30-09, 12:50 PM
Aw DogPatch!! Directly across from my tent and later hooch.. Aug.65-Sept.66, Trk.Co, 3rd Svc. Bn., FLSG, III MAF
"SEMPER-FI"

DocGreek
08-30-09, 01:32 PM
BILLY-BOB....I was told that I arrived at Yakusaka, Japan the first week in September, 1969. Because my brains got scrambled, in country....I truthfully HAVE NO IDEA!!! .....Doc Quack

Wisconsin
09-01-09, 12:09 PM
Wrench....your house must have been near mine. I was in 3rd Ser Bn also, in Engineer Maint. Co. Did you know a gut by the name of Ron Peters? We ended up going TAD to Chu Lai. He represented MT and I represented Engineers.

GT6238
09-02-09, 11:36 AM
It was off limits I remember in the short time I was in-country...

LarryStarr
09-05-09, 12:29 AM
That we did greensideout. Do you remember MPC and how the locals reacted when it was all of a sudden changed? Talk about panic in the market place, dang.

Yup, MaMa San with a big roll trying to exchange it for anything, she could get. New a couple of guys who made out pretty good on that deal. Out on convoy and hadn't exchanged yet :D

E5WTODELL
09-30-09, 10:32 PM
I was at FLC 70 - 71 went through dp all the time riding shotgun to all over....never stopped but heard alot about the place.......did my rr china beach........got a nice camera stolen while doing the thing there........I have been looking for anyone from Plt 1084 MCRD San Diego or Co "A" 3rd Recon, Kaneohe Air Station 73 to 77.....welcome home marines........semper fi

E5WTODELL
09-30-09, 10:34 PM
anyone from Plt 1084 MCRD San Diego 1970........please email me at free_spirit049@yahoo.com

Riven37
10-01-09, 06:32 AM
well, I didn't see any pics none came up ...

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/025.JPG

http://www.goingback.org/dogpatch/026.JPG

I do sincerely hope that you've enjoyed my little tour!

S/F

DocGreek
10-01-09, 07:05 AM
:evilgrin:....I've got one....8209...."patrons of GREED!"

William Hardy
10-01-09, 05:36 PM
Riven37 - I sure don't remember your pictures...the Dog Patch I remember was rather dirty. No one who rode those scooters ever wore helments. And I never say a woman, young or old, wear clothing like that in Dog Patch.
Doc - I still say we ran into each other at Freedom Hill. I got there at the end of April so we had May, June, July, and August...either that or we met in Athens in the early 60s as kids...lol Kali nita, Ti conus? (Spelling)

redman1
10-01-09, 05:47 PM
gunny i remember the same as you
no helmets
long dresses
there were 4 to 5 on a scooter
i can see doc now on a chariot pulled by 2 white horses wearing a helmet and skirt
doc as a young charleton heston
semper fi

LarryStarr
10-01-09, 06:44 PM
:evilgrin:....I've got one....8209...."patrons of GREED!"
Watched Bob Hope out behind that joint ... from about 100 ft. behind the wire on the hill ;)

William Hardy
10-01-09, 07:05 PM
When I was over there and Bob Hope's USO show was at Freedom Hill, I can remember hearing a dull roar and big dark spot on the hill...I pulled the short straw and had the duty that day.

redman1
10-01-09, 07:16 PM
i never was near there when bob was there hate i missed it
they made it sound that back home that everyone got to see him
i didn't know anyone that did but i'm glad some saw him
semper fi

tgwkreu7
10-01-09, 07:36 PM
the only thing i remember about Dog Patch was a place where l'il abner and daisy mae lived they were in the sundays funny papers

DocGreek
10-01-09, 11:13 PM
:D...TG....I tried to avoid knowing about lil' abner...now you've really shown my OLD AGE!!!....Doc:D....GUNNY...Tha fas scata!!

grunt-1
10-27-09, 06:59 PM
Ahoy Marine, I was with 3rd. Bn 1st Marines in 67 when the dump went up, helluv a show that one.

grunt-1
10-27-09, 07:01 PM
:flag:Ahoy Marine, I was with 3rd. Bn 1st Marines in 67 when the dump went up, helluv a show that one.

BVD
10-28-09, 10:14 AM
Top you wouldn't me a Master Gy if so were you ever ststioned a Camp Geiger to do ITR training .

grunt-1
10-28-09, 11:20 AM
Well no Sergeant, I was a Cpl. w/2nd. Force Recon at LeJeune the 1st time and a Sgt. with I co. 3/6 the second time when I came back from Nam, re-enlisted and went to Camp Edison,Ca. (Edison Range) as a PMI. Never stationed at Camp Geiger. Hope you feel better. MSgt. S.L. Doughty 2233880 USMC ret.

joe31302
10-28-09, 04:44 PM
hi william,i was stationed on hill 327 freeedom hill when bob hope was there 1969 mass-3 1st mardiv joe dowdy

joe31302
10-28-09, 05:08 PM
hi,i was also on 327 mass-3 in 68-69 ,you remember sargent debarge over motorpool joe dowdy here

William Hardy
10-28-09, 07:47 PM
No I don't recall the name...as a matter of fact I can't recall too many names any more. I was with HWHG-1, MWCS-1, Comm Center Platoon and was just on the other side of the fence from Dog Patch and had the ARVN arty outfit on the other side of that corner of the base. That little corner of the base was just about all I knew. I use to make a nightly courior run to Red Beach, FLC, back to First MARDIV, to CORPS HQ and back to 1st MAW quite often, but that was at night and we didn't exactly do any sight seeing. I can't even remember which valley was over there next to 1st MARDIV...was it Happy Valley? I am very grateful that when I did go outside the wire that nothing serious happened.

joe31302
10-28-09, 08:00 PM
hi william,yes it was happy valley,my 40th aniversery coming home from nam was oct 26,glad we made it my brother

Riven37
10-30-09, 01:18 AM
Yes, it was Happy valley, not a very happy place.

Riven37
10-30-09, 01:32 AM
What makes some vet go back there ? didn't you have enough of that place.

I do. It was the vill below Hill 317. In fact I was just there in March. It has CHANGED, very nice homes all with address plaques, paved street.lights, etc.

Spent 2 weeks in RVN, Khe Sanh, DaNang, An Hoa, Hoa An, Chu Lai, Hue, Phu bai, Con Thien, Gio Linh, cam Lo, Street W/O Joy, Mai Loc, Hia Lang Pass, Rockpile, Route 9, Camp carroll, camp Evans, dong Ha, Quang Tri, Hills 10, 25, 37, 41, 52,
55, 65, China Beach,, Red Beach, Hanoi, Marble MT, libertty Bridge, Antenna valley, Arizona Territory, Hue, Ho Che Minh Trail, a Shau valley, Lang Vei,

I got dirt from each location.

I plan to return in 2010 and future years to remember and commerate. If anyone is interested in returning please let me know.

Dave Schiel
dapasc@imonmail.com

William Hardy
10-30-09, 06:31 AM
I had a easy tour compared to many. Working in the Comm Center afforded me a few outs...I was one of a very few who could decode off-line messages, therefore I was not allowed to go on patrols around our area. We had our share of rocket and mortar attacks, but that was nothing compared to what you others had to face out in the field. Since my name was already on the disclosure sheet of those messages, it did appointment me as first choice to go on the courier runs to all the major HQ throughout the DaNang area. The only place where I ever ran into "trouble" was in Happy Valley. Being the middle of the night and on the road, I never saw more than a few flashes during the six-months had the job. Heard the shots coming my way, but the driver wouild just speed up and we got the hell out of Dodge...we all had our missions, but mine didn't include close combat. Salute to those of you who spent the time in the bush.

Tim Layman
10-30-09, 02:56 PM
Was at MAG11, VMCJ 1 from Oct 1967 to Oct 1969, went through Dogpatch a bunch of times. Kind of brings chills sometimes thinking of those days. China Beach, Hill 327, Monkey Mountain, Bob Hope Show, R&R to Bankok, Japan, and a few other places. Yea the dump blew up , there were some not real fun times & the Air Force blew out of town a few times too when things looked a little spooky but we also had some really good times too.

SEMPER FI

joe31302
10-30-09, 04:43 PM
i was with mass-3 magg-18 on hill 327.your right ,many bad times ,but there were some good times,went to ghina beach and red beach,was at the bob hope show,went through dog patch many times,yes i remember when the dump went up,i was on hill 200 when that happened.never took an r&r.someone has some pictures of dog patch on here ,i remember it well,better than i can remember names. joe semper fi

donchambers
11-04-09, 07:56 AM
Hey Leather neck,

I remember Freedom Hill(Big PX), Dog Patch, 4 Corners, The Ice factory, steam and cream and South China beach. I was @ Mag 11, VMCJ -1 in Danang 70-71, Have a lot vivid memorys, wow how time flys.

Thanx for sharing, Big sarg, Retired, USA

William Hardy
11-04-09, 03:47 PM
The Ice Fatory - If I recall, we had to go to I Corps Hq - they are the ones that put cement in the sandbags and then clear coated the bunkers after the cement dried.
S&C - wasn't that near I Corps and located on an Army installation - I remember going to China Beach one day and we stopped there on the way back...
been so long I can't really remember...

donchambers
11-06-09, 07:27 AM
Hey Big Sarg,

You sound like you were there yesterday, It is hard to beleive that over forty years have gone by. What was your mos and when & where did you go to boot camp. I just signed up here and it is so great to hear from an old devil dog, I went to parris Island on the 2nd of Sept. 1968. I was in 1st batt. #1022. Stayed in the usmc till 1974. Got out never to return, In 1986 I went in the army and just retired last year. It was hard to find another soldier around with as many campain metals/patches. Chesty would have been proud. Stay in touch,

Semper Fi, Don Chambers

dakadaka1
01-27-10, 08:05 PM
I was there too. email me please

BVD
01-27-10, 09:12 PM
Hello there I was 1 MAW 1st LAAM echo Btry , I did boot camp at MCRD 1966 Plt 3349 MOS 2532 Radio Relay Operator. We may have been there at the same time.

joeycap52
01-28-10, 09:32 AM
Hey BVD, did boot at MCRD SD, 6/65, Plt 242. Was on Hill 327, FLSG "A" DaNang, ASP#1. Looks like I was a bit ahead of you.
S/F!

Gannet
01-30-10, 12:07 AM
Was at MAG11, VMCJ 1 from Oct 1967 to Oct 1969, went through Dogpatch a bunch of times. Kind of brings chills sometimes thinking of those days. China Beach, Hill 327, Monkey Mountain, Bob Hope Show, R&R to Bankok, Japan, and a few other places. Yea the dump blew up , there were some not real fun times & the Air Force blew out of town a few times too when things looked a little spooky but we also had some really good times too.

SEMPER FI

Hey Tim, I was in country from Feb 69 to Mar 70, I was a Radio Relay Repairman with 1st MAW HQ Group. MAG 11 was across the road from us, next to the USO building, I use to get burgers there. I remember when the dump blew, if I remember right it was in April of 69. After 4 months at Radio Relay Central, I was outpost to MCAS 4 on Monkey Mountain. Did you ever seen the Navy Jet that augered into the side of mountain right next to the road?

I did enjoy when I had off going to China Beach for a swim and R&R in Sydney.

Semper Fi

ctavey
02-03-10, 05:44 PM
I was with 2/5 out of An Hoa and on an operation in late '68 when we lost about 200 to malaria. I spent a month in the hospital *NAMRU) in Da Nang and had to make several return trips to the hospital after release. I don't know how I found my way there, but had a wonderful afternoon with a beautiful local (with Momma Son & Pappa Son in the next room). Anyway, obvioulsy, no bus service, but got picked up by some senior Marines, kinda of on patrol in a jeep, who took me back to Da Nang. Said there were bad guys in the neighborhood. Glad I didn't have to kill them! Great Escape! :D

dakadaka1
02-03-10, 09:34 PM
dakadaka1;598430] I was by dog patch it was across the fence. I was in 1st maw h&hs hq motor transport from 1966 to 1969

Rainbelt
02-04-10, 01:41 AM
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. I responded to it 5 years ago. I was with 1st 8" Howitzers attached to the 12th Marines. We landed as part of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade in March of 1965. Spent first two weeks in country on the airbase, then we relocated to a position near the base of Hill 327. We were the only ones out there for a few weeks. The pictures I see on here of Dog Patch don't look anything like I remember it. The dirt road through the village wasn't very wide. I think the guns were about 12 feet wide. We had to go pretty slow passing through Dog Patch so as not to tear the roofs off of the little shacks on each side of the road. I also don't remember any bars or *****houses being there. No telephone poles or power lines either. I remember the VC blew up the fuel dump north of Da Nang by the river in July of 65. I was on an outpost that night and it lit up the night sky and the surrounding rice paddies for quite some time that evening. Also remember when the two Phantoms plowed into Monkey mountain. You could see the brown spot from our position near hill 327. Also the Bomber that crashed on the south end of the runway on takeoff. I had always heard that the Marines on the perimeter outposts pulled the crew from the wreckage before it blew up. But I must have heard wrong. Time does fly. It will be 45 years next month that we landed.

dakadaka1
02-07-10, 08:52 PM
I was there too 1 st maw motor transport 1966 to 1969,Dale

dfondren
02-07-10, 09:23 PM
I was at the 11MARS-HQBTN located to the North of Freedom Hill and below 1st MARDIV. There was a ville there just outside th wire and we got sappers through our wire and I remember a RVN gal we called "Terry" after Terry and the Pirate. She hated the VC & NVA and warned us of an all out attack 08/11/1969 and sure enough we killed 12 in the wire the next nite. Took a bunch of 122 mm's and ground fire too. Of course, rank didn't listen but we did and were ready. I hope she made it. I got assigned to a reactionary force for patrols and convoy security duty and so went out to Liberty Bridge, Hoi An and An Hoa. Anybody remember those places and times? What was the name of that ville? We didn't go out there very often but when we walked back in from the indian territory we came through "skivvie valley". Some "local trading" went on there for boom-boom for cigarettes and so forth.
Lastly I would like to remember my best friends: Cpl. Samuel A. Williams-2515621 and LCPL carl Joe Russell-2515607. R.I.P. , they died 2 years back. One leukemia and one we don't know. VA said carl "just died".
Semper Fi, Gentlemen.
Dave:flag::iwo:

LarryStarr
02-07-10, 11:30 PM
I was with Bravo Co. 11th MT 1970-71, just across the valley from 1St Mar Div.
I think that ville was Da San (sp?), but I might be turned around on that. I do recall Hoi An, made many trips there, hauling supplies for the CAP unit.

Sorry to heard about your friends, seems like there are fewer of us every day.
Semper FI:flag:

lastcigar
02-19-10, 09:56 AM
I, like many others have said can't believe this thread. I graduated boot camp in Aug 1966, Honor Plt. 1031 San Diego. Went to Cherry point after Millington and was initial assigned to VMA (AW) 225. Stayed there a month or two and was transferred to H&MS 14. I was the new guy in 225 and when someone had to go to 14 it was me, you know new guy always got **** on. Turned out great tho, made friends I still am in touch with. When 225 went to Nam they had to take some immedate maintanance people with them for support. I volunteered and went back to 225 for the transfer and was sent to H&MS 11 as soon as we got to Nam.
Our living area was right across the street from Dogpatch. Went by there at least 2 times a day to and from the working area. Plus all the times we would sneak there and downtown DaNang. I had forgot about those burgers at the USO, they were great as I recall. Also steaks at the Hotel DaNang. It sure didn't look like the version in John Wayne's The Green Berats. I had a good friend who was the Chaplin's assistant for the Catholic priest at MAG 11 (can't remember the priest's name now) and I used to go over and ride shotgun with my buddy on the travels nhe made. Saw a lot with them. By the way I remember when the bird went into the side of the mountain, I heard the air force guy had "target fixation" and just forgot to pull up. Also does anyone remember an Air America C-47 crashing at Danang? Seems lije it was during the summer months to me.
I remember the ammo dump going up, I was on mess duty and was outside taking a leak at one of the ****ers when one of the first big explosions went off, I saw the shock wave coming and hit the deck with my dick still hanging out. I thought at first we had been nuked!!!
Its been a long time. I don't think I have even talked with my family about some of this ****, and I didn't have it anywhere near as bad as most.
Before I go I have been cursed with the Agent Orange thing, just diabetes right now but would like to hear from others who have had problems.
Semper Fi,
lastcigar

larry warner
02-25-10, 08:05 AM
Would cop some of the best weed in the world from Dogpatch, nooky too. Aw the good old days...
larry warner "Fly" a/126 marines vietnam 68-69.

Noynik
02-25-10, 08:26 AM
For a quick fix you put a dollar in your right leg pocket and stand just off gate 12 as if waiting for a ride. Kids walk up, reach into your pocket and take the dollar and put in a bag filled with 10 joints.... Those joints kinda sucked though. Mostly rolling paper!! For the good stuff you had to commit to "the vil" and beyond. 1stMAW disbursing (1st MAW HQ compound). 68-69

HereandThere
02-25-10, 08:43 AM
wish i was a remf, would of done the cash for mpc, for money orders, for cash shuffle. would of come home a bazillionaire.

The Pennsylvania Dutch have a saying "Un to soon old,un to late smart".
That MPC scam was somthing like 4 to 1,so if you had 100 greenbacks you could get 400 in MPC buy some money orders send them home have cash sent back to you and do it again.
But I'm pretty sure the CID was all over that scam by 1969,plus it was suppose to aid and comfort the enemy.Who the hell knows.
I still have some of that South Vietnam funny money and it still looks worthless.

kfisbusy
02-25-10, 09:27 AM
:evilgrin:Hey Brothers I was in Danang after most of you all. But I did see were the jet left its mark in M.M.. I was over there in 72to 73 and back agin in 74 to 75. Rember Dog Patch throw. But I rember Arizona & Dodge City more. I drank my share of tiger plss & bomebom also. SSGT. Francisco.:flag::iwo:Semper Fidelis Brothers.

Jersey
03-16-10, 11:59 PM
Dog Patch Boom Boom row and bottles of Jim Beam, lol. Di Loc Pass was the rear for Hotel 2/7 at the end of 68, I was with 1st Platoon, 2nd squad. Yes I remember,LMAO. You number 1 or number 10.

Semper Fi,
Jersey.

kfisbusy
03-17-10, 12:42 AM
:evilgrin:I was there in 72 & 73. Iknw dogpatch also . Got into a little trouble down there.:flag::iwo: SSGT. Francisco

redman1
03-17-10, 05:14 AM
Yep I was there in 71 and I remember Jim Beam also but as a Buck Sgt and not 21 yet I had to trade some of my ration cards to a older SSgt for Beam.
Semper Fi Redman

Williamwfh
03-20-10, 02:21 AM
In 1965 or 1966 I saw a flash and glow on top of Monkey Mountain, then I called the Battery Control Center 1st LAAM on top of MOnkey Mountain to find out if they under attack. Later they called me back and informed me one or more jets had crashed. here are two more internet sites concerning another crash which is better reported: http://www.milspeak.org/Monkey.htm, ;
http://www.wardogs.com/crash.html (http://www.wardogs.com/crash.html)

Williamwfh
03-20-10, 02:23 AM
My hearing, huh .. what did you say, say that again . . . “Cherry dumplings apple pie I hear your station 1 x 1 eeni meeniee minee mo how do you hear my radio, over (1963 radio test, 2<SUP>nd</SUP> LAAM’s, “B” Btry, author unknown)? Recently I helped a WWII member of the Sky Sweepers, with the help of U.S. Senator Daniel Akaka Jerry received his VA benefits 100%, the Sky Sweepers downed only four or so friendly aircraft during the war, during Vietnam, we downed zero aircraft, and by comparison in the Persian Gulf unfortunately a few friendly aircraft have all ready been downed. Now for some historical request:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Does anyone have memory or information concerning the massacres of the orphans at the villages on the left side of DaNang’s hill 327 during and around the month of November 1965? Or, the death of the young female street orphan at the main PX in DaNang in the Spring or early Summer of 1966. General Walt mentioned the massive orphan incident in his 1980 interview for his publication the 11<SUP>th</SUP> Hour. I am under PTSD review for the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> massacre by the VA. For decades I have carried bits and pieces of which is now an amnesia issue. The PX matter I fairly clearly remember, but would appreciate more investigative information to clear my mind.

jinelson
03-20-10, 12:51 PM
Its been five years since I posted this thread and I am truly amazed its still going and all the bro's that walked where I did. Welcome home Marines.

OORAH!!!

Jim

yellowwing
03-20-10, 02:30 PM
Is this any good?

Take a Ride Through Da Nang, Vietnam: Dogpatch to Freedom Hill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svFXaJqMIng&feature=related

LarryStarr
03-21-10, 03:57 PM
Is this any good?

Take a Ride Through Da Nang, Vietnam: Dogpatch to Freedom Hill

As many times as I drove it, I must admit that I recognize little of that. It does appear that the roads have gotten worse though. Most of the rest of it seems to have cleaned up quite a bit ... hard to recognize the traffic patterns without 40 or 50 Scosh Carts in view at any given time :D

LarryStarr
03-21-10, 04:03 PM
Its been five years since I posted this thread and I am truly amazed its still going and all the bro's that walked where I did. Welcome home Marines.

OORAH!!!

Jim

You done good:thumbup:
Semper FI

William Hardy
03-21-10, 09:47 PM
As many times as I drove it, I must admit that I recognize little of that. It does appear that the roads have gotten worse though. Most of the rest of it seems to have cleaned up quite a bit ... hard to recognize the traffic patterns without 40 or 50 Scosh Carts in view at any given time :D

Had the same feeling. I was with HQ First MAW. Our last row of barracks (the old French barracks) was along the fence line with Dog Patch, and the ARVN artty unit was next door. I was located along the fence next to the artty unit. I remember the road as a single lane, but that was 40 years ago. When you got to the end, you turned right to go to Freedom Hill just like in the video...except I remember a steep hill where the transit station was...we came in and left through it. When I arrived in '69, it had been blown flat shortly before we arrived when the Ammo Dump went up. When I was leaving, we watched a movie on an outdoor screen. We went up some more and came to the Freedom Hill Red Cross Center and over a bit was the threater and PX. I didn't see anything after the right turn that reminded me of Freedom Hill at all.

PS - Thanks for the link. I will watch some more of the videos later and that is a Dog Patch scene in my signature. I am standing on the backside of our "French" barracks.

DCGoman
03-21-10, 10:12 PM
I was with H&MS - 11 late 66 all of 67, Dogpatch was just across the wire from our hootch area, also, I walked the guard post at end of Da Nang runway near Dogpatch Dec 66.

Williamwfh
03-22-10, 12:13 AM
Is this any good?

Take a Ride Through Da Nang, Vietnam: Dog Patch to Freedom Hill

Yellowing, I enjoyed your video production “ thans for the memories.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
The building in Dog Patch appear different now than they did in 1965 / 66. I did not see the hut all built of aluminum I think it was “ Budweiser ” beer cans. I looked for but did not see Mamasan’s business that did our laundry and from time to time she would feed me my late after <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="12" Minute="0">noon</st1:time> lunch. The road is still rough and bumpy and as you drove I found myself looking for signs of bobby traps (IEDs).

LarryStarr
03-22-10, 11:54 PM
Had the same feeling. I was with HQ First MAW. Our last row of barracks (the old French barracks) was along the fence line with Dog Patch, and the ARVN artty unit was next door. I was located along the fence next to the artty unit. I remember the road as a single lane, but that was 40 years ago. When you got to the end, you turned right to go to Freedom Hill just like in the video...except I remember a steep hill where the transit station was...we came in and left through it. When I arrived in '69, it had been blown flat shortly before we arrived when the Ammo Dump went up. When I was leaving, we watched a movie on an outdoor screen. We went up some more and came to the Freedom Hill Red Cross Center and over a bit was the threater and PX. I didn't see anything after the right turn that reminded me of Freedom Hill at all.

I was on the other side of the valley, 11th motors, just below Dai Loc pass, across the valley from 1St Mar Div, in 70 and 71.

Amazing how much things change, but still look, vaguely, familiar.
I checked out another one, of those videos, the one that went up to the CG'z LZ at 1st Mar Div. I drove that road, several times a week for a time, making runs to the ridge overlooking AZ Territory, to pick up trash and give the guys a ride down to the chow hall. It was a steep, winding road, but my 5-ton fit on it. I could recognize a couple of landmarks on the video, but not much, and they guy's scooter barely fit on the trail most of the way.

Boyd Wilks
06-01-10, 11:44 AM
I was at 1st FSR MTM, from August 67-May 69. Was with Clutch Platoon, 3rd Provisional Rifle Platoon (company). Later I drove for the battalion Chaplain. Anyone serving there during that time give me a shout. Dogpatch was right outside our perimeter and across the road. This thread brings back many memories.
Semper Fi I was there at the same time worked in light shop lot of good times

Williamwfh
06-01-10, 01:53 PM
Our Battalion Chaplain had a female Vietnamese interpreter who went by the nick name of “Cherry.” She studied in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><ST1:place Colorado</ST1:place</st1:State>, did you happen to meet her?

Gannet
06-01-10, 02:12 PM
... I was with HQ First MAW. Our last row of barracks (the old French barracks) was along the fence line with Dog Patch, and the ARVN artty unit was next door. I was located along the fence next to the artty unit....

Hi Will, I was also in 1st MAW HQ Group from February, 1969 through March 1970, I was Radio Relay Repairman with Radio Relay Central. I was in the third Hooch along the fence line from the Guard Gate. If I remember correctly the head and shower was in the middle of the row behind the mess hall which right across from the E club. Also, there was a little store next to the PX, where I used to get Dad's Root Beer, never had before until then.

Radio Relay Central (next to the Helicopter LZ) was having a Picnic on the day the Ammo Dump blew up. We had to stand Guard Duty that night because they were concern that VC would see it as an opportunity. Also, I remember standing Guard Duty on Christmas Eve because the General was having a Christmas Party for all the officers and nurses in DaNang.

I believe we could draw a map of the base from our memories.

Ed Palmer
06-16-10, 04:23 PM
Couldnt resist it

http://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dogtown_feelsru.jpg?w=450&h=286

LarryStarr
06-18-10, 07:45 PM
Couldnt resist it

http://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dogtown_feelsru.jpg?w=450&h=286

Na ... the building materials are too upscale :D

pauldoc
06-21-10, 01:56 PM
I was with 1/5 on our way to in country RR and one of the guys throw a fire grenade and started a hutch on fire. Almost did not go to RED Beach

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-01-10, 03:54 PM
When I was at MWSG-17-from Sept68to Aug69-There was no Liberty to Dog Patch-If you got caught out there-you lost a stripe.That's how
I remember it.The Corpsman In Wers-by those metal-quenset huts-I don't remeber his name.He lost a stripe for that reason. I was only out there to go to the 327Hill -Px -or to bring some Marines to First-Med to be treated.That's it. I heard When Bob Hope Played Danang-They let the Marines walk back through Dogpatch-to their areas in the 1st Marine-Airwing.I remember there was a big fire on the 327-Hill-PX.I was assigned to help the Fireman-from the Fire Engine Companies.Many of them got Smoke Inhillation-A little Oxyigen helped them out.Some were a little over zealous-why-because when they were in the Px-putting out the fire,they were opening the best bottles of booze-and drinking it -in the burning building.Then these bottles were thrown on the floor-Alcohol is Flamable-(DA)-thus making the fire worse.I never saw Bob-Hope-I stood by for Riot Control.Fortunetly nothing occured -but it was supposed to.Something about Combat Marines-getting better seats to see Bob Hope.First Med's a Real trip.A Real Emergency-Trauma Hospital.My Fellow Corpsman And I helped out there many times.I rember the first time I was There and totally-in Shock.There were body parts-I wasn't used to that yet.A Corpsman saw That I was about to faint-He told me to sit down-and gave me a sandwich to eat.He told me not to think of blood as blood but as body-oil-like from an engine.Believe it or not-this really helped-I did much better when I had to go there-and see incoming causualties and worse.God Bless those People at First-Med-they saved alot of lives.One Time Dr.Crash Johnson-had Gastritis-very painful-stomach-with spasm and contraction.We used to have this pill that worked directly on the Vegas Nerve-but I cant remember the name of it right now.Anyway -Dr.Johnson was given some Morphine and blood volume expander-I.V.-When Us -Corpsman went to see how he was doing;his Iv-was empty-and his arm was infiltrated.We-got a little angry and took over the place-and made sure-Dr.Johnson was treated in a more viewing area.This made us mad-but We realized that First Med-was a busy place.Sometimes you had to stay and work there for a while.That's where the real-stuff was.Any way I see I have a habit of rambling on-and making very long letters.I think of these things while I'm writting down these other thoughts.I have many stories and I don't want to tell them all at once...I wish some other Corpsman would be on here to confirm-what I have said-from Mwsg-17

i

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-01-10, 04:11 PM

SEMPER FI
There was a Corpsman named George Wilson at Mag-11,Do you remember him.He looked like Tom Cruse-before there was a Tom Cruse......He was in My Corpsman School class -I think it was .Corpsman Class #48-at the Great lakes.Anyway we were on the plane to Okinowa-and it was his birthday.The Stewardess on the plane gave him a cupcake with one candle in it.We all sang happy birthday.That was nice.

sifupr
07-03-10, 08:01 AM
I loved going to Dog Patch. Had many short times there. ;)

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-03-10, 11:40 PM
Those annoying -little kids-I know what you mean-ONE TIME THERE WAS THIS CRAZY GUY -FROM BROOKLYN,N.Y.-He had a black-opium problem.His 16 -accidentally discharged -went through one of these girls...

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-04-10, 03:35 AM
I believe that was the first place heard someone said something about "snake eater" Hell, I thought they where talkin' about momm sun sucking my pipes clear. Until they said you, "snake eating bullet catcher, don't be all day."
Got one for you
anyone from Con Thien around the sept-oct-or so? Ya remember the old woman that burned **** and didn't have a tooth in her mouth. She'd give BJ for a dollar, ya'd have to have a playboy or penthouse over her head. Didn't want her to get her head wet in the rain! Damn, where we ever that young?--I was there for that fire for some reason-When that old-mama'son-was pulled out of the smouldering-distroyed hut;all her hairy parts were "Smokin"-I must have been mentally ill by then-because for some "sick" reason-I thought this was very funny".:flag::tank:Get Them Marines.Send Them To Hell...............

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-04-10, 08:36 AM
-I wasn't in that House-when the weapon-discharged into this woman's head .I and other people tried to help him-but he was just too far gone-to retrieve.After I heard this-I never went to...

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-04-10, 08:53 AM
Now I've heard lots of stories-where soldiers-were given little cups-of narco-substances-in the Army.When they returned home from Vietnam-they were addicted.Wisk'y is good for shock.I guess in battle-I have no right to say anything.I have just seen so many people taken down by Hard-Drugs-so much heart-ache.

DDuggar
08-01-10, 11:29 AM
:flag:I definitely remember "Dog Patch", it was directly across from the entrance to the Marine Compound in DaNang, Republic of South Vietnam. I was in DaNang from March of 1967 to April of 1968 with HAMS-11.:iwo:

pauldoc
08-17-10, 07:45 AM
Who knows about liberty bridge?

jetfan12
12-05-10, 04:25 PM
I always wondered what aircraft landed in that mine field. I was with 7th engineers and i recall clearing that mine field. I even have a photo of me sitting in the mine field. WOW what memories,. oh, and dog patch?. yep i rember that to.

tgwkreu7
12-05-10, 07:00 PM
i remember DOG Patch that was the place where L'iL Abner lived according to the funnies that is the only one i know of

JohnEaceHunt
12-05-10, 11:41 PM
A Sgt and I went out on a bike one night for a very cold beer. I was a PFC then. The VC made a sweep, and we hit the walls of the house. They opened up, and hid us in there. We could hear all our hearts beating for sure when the VC found our Bike outside the house, and come in to get us. The MP's were on their tails, and they took off, shortly after the MP's left, we took off back ALIVE to the Danang Air Base. This was bout the 2-3 rd of March '68. Never did we go again. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

advanced
12-07-10, 12:18 PM
I stopped in one of the hooches in dog patch on two separate occasions and spent $2 each time - those were the days!

FistFu68
12-07-10, 01:15 PM
:evilgrin: Every Stinking 'Ville in tha Nam had a Frigging Dog Patch :beer: :iwo:

advanced
12-07-10, 01:22 PM
:evilgrin: Every Stinking 'Ville in tha Nam had a Frigging Dog Patch :beer: :iwo:

She said "I #1 GI" and well, you had to have been there.

sgtvern
12-07-10, 08:00 PM
I checked to see if I had any photos of the crashed B-52, but no luck.
However, I did find 3 of Dog Patch: one with (Lcpl) me and a cute kid and 2 others with kids. I recall the kid I was holding was from Hanoi and I struck up a conversation with her parents (about the only time my 5 years of French came in handy). They were refugees and he had been a doctor or something.
The pictures are in my Dog Patch album.

Phantom Blooper
12-25-10, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svFXaJqMIng

LarryStarr
12-27-10, 06:30 PM
Somebody posted that video a while back, but I watched it again anyway.
Used to drive trucks over that road, daily but it looks like the road, at least around Freedom Hill, has deteriorated a lot.

I was at 11th Motors, just across the valley from 1st Mar Div.

Semper Fi :evilgrin:

DDuggar
12-27-10, 08:04 PM
Top,

I remember both, we watched that B52 land, he really had no chance, but we kept hoping. Trouble was he glided more than 500 yards before wheels down, then there was no room to stop, even with parachoot deployed. No photos of that, however, a friend of mine got some photos of DaNang under fire in July 1967. I have about 6 to 10 photos of that attack. I'll scan in more and upload later.

Cpl. Duggar

bulwark
01-18-11, 02:27 PM
Was there in 65/66,had lots of time off there in Dogpatch, Seen a jeep loaded with QC's, stopped and tossed a local (or not so local the way he was treated on being tossed in the back of the jeep) and gave him a good what for. Many old memories left there,

:flag:

bulwark
01-18-11, 02:34 PM
Was there in 65/66,had liberty in Dogpatch, Seen a jeep loaded with QC's, stopped and tossed a local (or not so local the way he was treated on being tossed in the back of the jeep) and gave him a good what for.

pigeon
01-19-11, 11:02 AM
I Was With Tango Security, 1stmaw 1/66 - Till About 7/66 Till They Sent Me Tad To Mag 36 In Chulai For Operation Colorado. At That Time Dogpatch Was Not Off Limits. I Lived In The Old French Barracks Accross The Street From Dogpatch.

radio relay
01-19-11, 01:52 PM
I drove by Dog Patch a few times. As I remember, it sat on the intersection of Rt 1, and the road to/from 1st Mar Div HQ on the north side of the base. There was a hand written sign on the corner with "Dog Patch" and "off limits" on it..

Looking at those run down shacks and the old, leather faced mamasans with their mouths stained black from chewing beetle-nut, there was no way I was going to stick my "pride and joy" into any of them! I was freaked by the stories of the black clap, too. Just the look of the place shouted VC, anyway.

There was a "steam and cream" on an Army base right where you turned off RT 1 to go to 5th Comm HQ, that I frequented. Marble Mountain Mag 16, was maybe another mile or two south of there. The girls were clean and they were supposedly checked for diseases by the Army, too.

I was always intrigued by the black Vietnamese hookers that you'd see around the cafes in Da Nang. They were decendants of African servants that the French had imported from their African colonies. They looked just like black American women, complete with afro's and miniskirts, but were culturally Vietnamese. Spoke Vietnamese, and broken English with a Vietnamese accent. It was weird, but they were a lot of fun. There were a couple cafes on RT 1 outside the airbase that had several of them. I'd stop off for a coke now and then;)

advanced
01-19-11, 02:22 PM
Those mamasons had babysons! From where I spent most of my time what was another VC or two. I guess part of the thrill was were you going to get a knife in your back.

Once again, from where I had been and was going back to it just seemed the thing to do at the time, ahhhhh, the memories.

Besides, they said I was #1.

LarryStarr
01-22-11, 03:00 AM
Besides, they said I was #1.

Weren't we all? :banana::banana:

yhuj163
01-22-11, 05:26 AM
Synthesis benzene 2-propanol technology
yhuj163@163.com (yhuj163@163.com)

jamielang1951
02-17-11, 12:23 PM
I have some photos of Dog Patch, it's the one with the tank, and in the background of the one of my friends. I was with 1st MAW MWHG-1 MWCS-1. I have many more I need to scan.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2632

LarryStarr
02-19-11, 09:15 PM
I have some photos of Dog Patch, it's the one with the tank, and in the background of the one of my friends. I was with 1st MAW MWHG-1 MWCS-1. I have many more I need to scan.

Some good pics there Jamie! I recall many of those views.
Semper Fi!

7583 1968 1974
03-02-11, 07:10 AM
We used to make runs there some evenings so we could get in a little relaxation, if you know what I mean! We always had cigs & a pocket full of tube steak protectors. We used those 2 at a time! lol....I'm surprised we're still alive, & never got busted.
You know that us avaitors are just as, if not more, crazy than anyone else, with the exception of Force Recon - whom I tip my hat to.

Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
Jim

HM3 Doc Wilder
03-02-11, 10:22 AM
Speaking Of Dog Patch-I knew a few people that lost a stripe for getting caught out there.There was this Corpsman from Wer-17 by the metal huts-that replaced a Corpsman there.He got caught-not enough training in Recon-That was a hot place-with the Nva and Viet-Cong there.Any way Just want to say -If you came to the MWSG-17 Dispensary and had some thing-I would have been glad to shot you up with 2.4 million units of Procaine Penicillin and or two weeks of Oxytetriclycline with the Pill-Probenimid -to protect your kidneys-Had tons of Penicillin there-you could depend on Me................Semper FI..............................

7583 1968 1974
03-16-11, 09:17 AM
OOOh Yeah! I remember good old dog patch, espesicially the mommasans! That's were we use to get the best weed available.

Williamwfh
03-20-11, 06:39 AM
Happy memories
Today I am 65 years old and I can remember MCRD San Diego, the reasons I choose to extent my service in the regular Marine Corps and go to Vietnam with 1st Light Anti Air Craft Missile Battalion "B" Battery, President Lynden Johnson ordered our Battalion into Vietnam in February 1965 to show the North Vietnamese the USA was politically serious and the USA build-up started. At that time I was 18 years old and a L / Cpl in a communication squad, and later to become a single field messenger in the greater DaNang area.

radio relay
03-20-11, 10:53 AM
Happy memories
Today I am 65 years old and I can remember MCRD San Diego, the reasons I choose to extent my service in the regular Marine Corps and go to Vietnam with 1st Light Anti Air Craft Missile Battalion "B" Battery, President Lynden Johnson ordered our Battalion into Vietnam in February 1965 to show the North Vietnamese the USA was politically serious and the USA build-up started. At that time I was 18 years old and a L / Cpl in a communication squad, and later to become a single field messenger in the greater DaNang area.
Happy Birthday!

Yes, memories of days gone ... but dogpatch was a place I just drove by.

You guys were the missile battery up on Monkey Mountain, right? ... 5th Comm had a trac97 up there.

BVD
03-20-11, 12:56 PM
Bravo Bty 1st LAAM was on Monkey Mountain, Charley Btry was on Freedom Hill (327), Echo Btry was on hill 55,and H&S was on the freedom hill side of the Danang air strip.

radio relay
03-20-11, 04:20 PM
Bravo Bty 1st LAAM was on Monkey Mountain, Charley Btry was on Freedom Hill (327), Echo Btry was on hill 55,and H&S was on the freedom hill side of the Danang air strip.
Interesting ... were they ever used?

BVD
03-20-11, 07:17 PM
Bravo Battery fired on a returning R&R plane once we were all tracking while I was there all enemy Aircraft would be tracked but would turn around

Williamwfh
03-22-11, 02:40 AM
During the year of 1964 "B" battery was the test to examine if the Marine Corps or the Army was to defend South Vietnam in the event we inter the conflict, or so we were informed. The Marine Corps had a safety record of very few friendly shoot downs during WWII, under 10, while the other service held many many more. At one point very early on the parade field a member of Alpha Battery referred to us as "Bunny" Battery. Over the next year of extensive training and War games we never lost a single game without help from reviewers. We went through a seven day no sleep game, games against mixed army, navy, SEALs, air force units. In July of 1965 on LST Tom Green County and through the Super Typhoon "Freda" "B" arrive on Red beach in Danang Vietnam. While we never launched our missiles in defense our Batteries did practice ground to air defense against any and all aircraft and no aircraft were shot down. "B" launch was done by electronic malfunction due to faulty diodes, not operations performance, and the two HAWK missiles were detonated approximately over the main PX in Danang. Note: the aircraft under surveillance was out of Hong Kong, flying a path near that a North Vietnamese aircraft would use and with a signature of a enemy bomber, further it was off course and non responsive. Fortunately, the two "kill signals" worked and the HAWKs detonated, and later workers at the PX informed me much of the inventories on the selves were knocked onto the floor. Actual combat: In 1968 on Hill 327 "C" Battery was over-run by a small hostile force and a marine was killed, missiles were randomly launched by explosives. Later (1969) Hill 327 was attacked a few more times and finally "Puff the Magic dragon" with its machine guns was used to settle one engagement. I believe in that action the Marine Band was actually hit as they had their quarters at the foot of the Hill. The Marine flute player was killed and the VC lost many. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

BVD
03-22-11, 01:28 PM
That is more detailed info than I wanted to wright but i said fired on a r&r jet not downed a R&R jet. I do thank you for the details as all we knew was that a R&R jet was fired upon and the Hawk was destroyed before impact, I also worked the Radio Relay site that shot was to hill 327 and then down to Danang.

Williamwfh
03-22-11, 05:06 PM
I am not writing a history reflection of that period, but many have asked me for that accounting, I sit on the "BCC" low level radar on Monkey mountain, and while as a messenger I typed and drove the message from H&S Battery to Division HQ that was sent to Congress concerning that missile mishap, my initials therefore are on that document, and the captain of "B" Battery was my previous CO. That equipment went through three days of a super typhoon aboard the LST Tom Green County in July of 1964, i do not what if any influence that had on the electronics. I have read in recent years that HAWK missiles had another unwanted missile launch.

BVD
03-22-11, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the information we were never given all of the details.

LarryStarr
03-22-11, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the details, I remember hearing about that. Of course the version I heard was much more colorful ... funny how scuttlebutt tends to embellish things.;)
Nice to hear, even at this late date, what really happened.

greensideout
03-22-11, 10:43 PM
Are you related to Gunny Sgt Dallis Starr?

macmarine7051
03-23-11, 01:35 AM
Ahhhhhh, I remember it well! I was with the MWSG-17 Fire Dept 67 to 68 and again 69 to 70, which became the MAG-11 Fire Dept in May of 70! We were on the perimeter of "Dog Patch" about a half mile east of the entrance to the base at 4 corners! Had kids lob chicomm grenades across the perimeter fence at us on several occasions! Most were duds, but we wanted to blow their ass away anyway!! I was there for the B-52 crash (the tail gunner was the only survior and we rescued him) and the VNAF bomb dump explosion on July 15th 1967! We were on our way to fight the fire at the dump when our boss got a bad felling and stopped our fire fighting trucks at the exit from the MAG-11 Motor T compound when it went up! He saved our asses that night! We fought several fires in Dog Patch after rocket attacks and VC excursions, and on more than one occasion received hostile fire while trying to fight the fires! I got one for you if you really are a "Dog Patch and 4 Corners" commando! Does anyone remember the 155 they put at the gate for about 2 months, and had nightly fire missions into Asah Valley? I sure do! A 155 firing from less than a half mile away, keeps you awake at nights!! Another one for the memory books! Does anyone remember the fire at the PX at Freedom Hill? Was there and fought that fire too!! Semper Fi Brothers!! :marine:

macmarine7051
03-23-11, 02:45 AM
Vern98, I think you need to get your facts right! A B-52 that had an emergency from damage received while on a mission over North Vietnam, tried to make an emergency landing at DaNang, and ran off the RW into the minefield at the end of the RW! The tailgunner was the only survivor from the B-52 crew! I was on the crew from the MWSG-17 Fire Dept that responded in a 530-B Fire Truck along with several Crash Trucks from the Air Force Crash Crew!! I was also on the crew that responded to the C-141/A-6 collision! The fire and explosions kept us away and we had to let it burn!!

macmarine7051
03-23-11, 03:00 AM
The B-52 Crash was 8 July I believe and a week later on the 15th DaNang got rocketed and that's when the VNAF Bomb Dump went up! It was a busy week for the MWSG-17 FD!!

LarryStarr
03-23-11, 08:15 PM
Are you related to Gunny Sgt Dallis Starr?

Not as far as I know!
Semper FI

7583 1968 1974
03-30-11, 09:34 AM
Why or what made you decide to go back there to visit?

For me - I would never even consider the thought of it.

Semper Fi Brother,

jim

I do. It was the vill below Hill 317. In fact I was just there in March. It has CHANGED, very nice homes all with address plaques, paved street.lights, etc.

Spent 2 weeks in RVN, Khe Sanh, DaNang, An Hoa, Hoa An, Chu Lai, Hue, Phu bai, Con Thien, Gio Linh, cam Lo, Street W/O Joy, Mai Loc, Hia Lang Pass, Rockpile, Route 9, Camp carroll, camp Evans, dong Ha, Quang Tri, Hills 10, 25, 37, 41, 52,
55, 65, China Beach,, Red Beach, Hanoi, Marble MT, libertty Bridge, Antenna valley, Arizona Territory, Hue, Ho Che Minh Trail, a Shau valley, Lang Vei,

I got dirt from each location.

I plan to return in 2010 and future years to remember and commerate. If anyone is interested in returning please let me know.

Dave Schiel
dapasc@imonmail.com

BVD
03-30-11, 09:49 AM
Good luck with your cancer battle Marine , As for me I never want to see that place again.

HM3 Doc Wilder
04-09-11, 12:19 AM
Ahhhhhh, I remember it well! I was with the MWSG-17 Fire Dept 67 to 68 and again 69 to 70, which became the MAG-11 Fire Dept in May of 70! We were on the perimeter of "Dog Patch" about a half mile east of the entrance to the base at 4 corners! Had kids lob chicomm grenades across the perimeter fence at us on several occasions! Most were duds, but we wanted to blow their ass away anyway!! I was there for the B-52 crash (the tail gunner was the only survior and we rescued him) and the VNAF bomb dump explosion on July 15th 1967! We were on our way to fight the fire at the dump when our boss got a bad felling and stopped our fire fighting trucks at the exit from the MAG-11 Motor T compound when it went up! He saved our asses that night! We fought several fires in Dog Patch after rocket attacks and VC excursions, and on more than one occasion received hostile fire while trying to fight the fires! I got one for you if you really are a "Dog Patch and 4 Corners" commando! Does anyone remember the 155 they put at the gate for about 2 months, and had nightly fire missions into Asah Valley? I sure do! A 155 firing from less than a half mile away, keeps you awake at nights!! Another one for the memory books! Does anyone remember the fire at the PX at Freedom Hill? Was there and fought that fire too!! Semper Fi Brothers!! :marine:....I was there Top Playing Corpsman-Many Firemen had Smoke Inhalation and Needed Oxygen from the Little Green Oxygen Tanks -We Brought.I remember that there were alot of Fire Trucks there-I wrote something about this 327-Hill Fire Some where on Here.I remember tending several Fire Fighters....One of the problems was that-Firemen that entered the Px-opened bottles of Good Booze-and before leaving-the bottles were tossed on the floor and or caught fire because they were Flammable.I Do Remember the Fire Departments There-Did Put Out That Fire.The Px-was Restored and Opened very Quickly After.I and my Fellow Corpsman Friends-were dragging Firemen on their feet to a Safe Area,in front of the Big Red Flashing Trucks Giving Oxygen attached to Oxygen Masks-not Tubing.There were atleast 5 or 6 Fire Companies there and many Fire Trucks-More Than I ever Saw in Nam before or after-Does this Tale Jive with your Participation Top? It was very Exciting-also aware that there might be Sappers in the Area-If I'm Lying I'm Deserving to Be Dying.Glad you made it out of Nam-Two Tours -Your A Great Marine and Firemen.I remember this like it was Yesterday-Aw-out.

HM3 Doc Wilder
04-09-11, 12:23 AM
My 327-Fire Experience happened in 69------Roger Out.Other Corpsman had Oxygen Tanks also-It was a Big EVent......

HM3 Doc Wilder
04-11-11, 08:43 AM
You Know,I now think there were 10 Fire Companies There-not 5 or 6-this came to me the day after I Posted.Semper Fi Always.....

FistFu68
04-11-11, 12:02 PM
:evilgrin: That whole Stinking Ass Country was a Bea Cou Dog Patch :beer: :iwo:

jagger
04-15-11, 10:21 AM
Was in 5th Service Battalion, Maintenance Company, Motor Transport platoon. Our base actually bordered Dog Patch. We viewed it as so safe that we even went there without our weapon. A bad idea, in retrospect, as I think that is where that PVT was captured who ended up in Hawaii a decade later and faced court martial for conspiracy or conspiring with the Viet Cong. Robert....? Can't remember last name. From Shelbyville, Indiana. Anybody? Ate in Dog Patch a lot as mess hall food sucked. Had rice a zillion ways. Never asked what else was in it though. =-) Stayed away from the poon tang though as one of the guys in our Company had contracted some form of venereal disease that was resistant to all antibiotics at the time. They wouldn't let him return state side. Talk about a bad attitude.

advanced
04-15-11, 02:37 PM
If I remember they called it the Black Sift.

jagger
04-15-11, 03:23 PM
Just remembered. It was Robert Garwood who was captured in Dog Patch, I think in 1967. He showed up in Hawaii in the mid 70's and was court martialed. Don't remember the result of the court martial though. There even was a mini series about it in the late 70's, I think.

chulaivet1966
04-15-11, 04:08 PM
Hmmm....only remember hearing of Dogpatch.

Anyone have an aerial view map of Dogpatch?
I'm curious where it's located with respect to the Da Nang area.

Sometime summer of 1966 I spent 2 days R&R at China Beach buying perfume for the Vietnamese ladies and eating hamburgers at some small military facility right on/near the beach IIRC?
Maybe someone can refresh my memory on that tidbit also?

Found this link: http://ronniefoster.com/ronnie%20page/da_nang.htm
.....in case it refreshes anyone's memories.

Feliz Viernes...

ridingcrops
04-15-11, 04:52 PM
All you old farts here are making me feel my age. LOL I remember that sh*t hole and how nasty it looked and smelled. And when you got past and went up close to Freedom Hill all the white jeeps that wanted to take you on skivvy runs into DaNang.

Ed Palmer
04-15-11, 05:42 PM
Bobby GarwoodFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Robert Garwood) <br />
Jump to: navigation, search <br />
Robert Russell Garwood (born 1 April 1946 in Greensburg, Indiana) is a...

tgwkreu7
04-15-11, 07:24 PM
the only Dog Patch i remember was a place in hillbilly country that had L'l Abner and Daisy Mae does that sound familiar to ya

Williamwfh
04-16-11, 06:34 AM
In 1965 / 66 period there where three marines taken by the VC / South Vietnamese / or by mysterious reasons associated with South Vietnamese, i.e WAYNE GILMORE SCHWARTZ
1.) WAYNE GILMORE SCHWARTZ
SSGT - E6 - Marine Corps - Regular

Length of service 12 years
Casualty was on May 15, 1965
In QUANG NAM, SOUTH VIETNAM
Non-Hostile, died of illness/injury, GROUND CASUALTY
ACCIDENTAL SELF-DESTRUCTION
Body was recovered

Panel 01E - Line 115

2.) Robert Garwood;
3.) And the third I cannot recall his name, but as I reflect he was ambushed near Marble mountain as he drove by himself in a jeep and he was KIA.

03Foxtrot
04-16-11, 10:39 AM
One of these men you listed as captured there is Robert Garwood.
After reading several books on this matter and doing much research on him, before, during and after his capture, my conclusion is that he is a traitor to the Marine Corps and to our nation. Because of his crimes, during war, while a member of the United States armed forces, he should have been sent to prison for life or appropriately dealt with permanently, in my opinion.
Semper Fi, Scott

jamielang1951
04-17-11, 12:58 AM
I tried to find it with Google Earth, but the clouds obscure some of the area. It’s just west of the airstrip, along the highway that runs north and south, west side of the road. I was looking for 1st MAW MWGH-1's parade field, but it's changed so much I'm not sure. Dog patch was just outside our perimeter fence.
In case you guys missed my previous post, you can see photos of it here:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2632 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/I%20tried%20to%20find%20it%20with%20Google%20Earth ,%20but%20the%20clouds%20obscure%20some%20of%20the %20area.%20It%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s%20just%20west%20o f%20the%20airstrip,%20along%20the%20highway%20that %20runs%20north%20and%20south,%20west%20side%20of% 20the%20road.%20I%20was%20looking%20for%201st%20MA W%20MWGH-1%27s%20parade%20field,%20but%20it%27s%20changed%2 0so%20much%20I%27m%20not%20sure.%20Dog%20patch%20w as%20just%20outside%20our%20perimeter%20fence.%20% 20In%20case%20you%20guys%20missed%20my%20previous% 20post,%20you%20can%20see%20photos%20of%20it%20her e:%20http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2632)

jamielang1951
04-17-11, 01:21 AM
I tried to find it with Google Earth, but the clouds obscure some of the area. It’s just west of the airstrip, along the highway that runs north and south, west side of the road. I was looking for 1st MAW MWGH-1's parade field, but it's changed so much I'm not sure. Dog patch was just outside our perimeter fence.
In case you guys missed my previous post, you can see photos of it here:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2632 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/I%20tried%20to%20find%20it%20with%20Google%20Earth ,%20but%20the%20clouds%20obscure%20some%20of%20the %20area.%20It%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s%20just%20west%20o f%20the%20airstrip,%20along%20the%20highway%20that %20runs%20north%20and%20south,%20west%20side%20of% 20the%20road.%20I%20was%20looking%20for%201st%20MA W%20MWGH-1%27s%20parade%20field,%20but%20it%27s%20changed%2 0so%20much%20I%27m%20not%20sure.%20Dog%20patch%20w as%20just%20outside%20our%20perimeter%20fence.%20% 20In%20case%20you%20guys%20missed%20my%20previous% 20post,%20you%20can%20see%20photos%20of%20it%20her e:%20http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2632)

I think I screwed up that link, so just copy/paste it to your address bar.

Williamwfh
04-17-11, 03:06 PM
I would like to see a picture of Robert Garwood as he looked like in 1965.

chulaivet1966
04-17-11, 03:17 PM
I think I screwed up that link, so just copy/paste it to your address bar.

You have some good pics of the surrounding turf.

FistFu68
04-17-11, 05:47 PM
:evilgrin: If You wanna see Bobby Garwood in real Life...He work's in a Gas Station in Fall's Church,Va...But He has a bunch of very Onry,very Biggg Brothers hanging around Him like White on Rice.Oh & tha Gas Station is owned by Company Boy's AKA.(CIA) out of Langely,Va...Have a very Nice Day,Boy's & Girl's ;) :iwo:

LarryStarr
04-17-11, 06:40 PM
Your link was messed up, but I managed to find the album, via your profile. Some good pics there, a few were familiar. I think the one from the mountain, was from the ridge above 1St Mar Div, looking across toward 11'th Motors. Dy Lac pass is just to the left, out of the picture, and the dead end trail on the far montain side was our (11th Motors) water point.

Semper Fi.:thumbup:

jamielang1951
04-18-11, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the info brother, 40 years ago, and I'm now 60 sooo my memory is getting a little fuzzy but I was pretty sure it was 1st MarDiv.
Here's that link again. This one works.

LarryStarr
04-19-11, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the info brother, 40 years ago, and I'm now 60 sooo my memory is getting a little fuzzy but I was pretty sure it was 1st MarDiv.

I was with 11th Motors, and used to drive that ridge quite a bit, on the trash and chow run, so it was a very familiar view. 1st MarDiv in the foreground, 11th motors across the valley and, too far away to see, FLC on the far horizon.

Heck, 60 ain't as old as it once was! ;)
It is funny though, how some things stand out and others, that we thought we'd never forget kind of fade.

Semper FI, brother. :thumbup:

radio relay
04-26-11, 07:28 AM

Pretty sure that's hill 244 in the left/middle of the picture with the little dirt road going straight up (driving up that road was a 4x4 adventure). 1st Mar Div HQ is the bunch of buildings to the right, at it's base. We had several microwave comm sites up there. So did other units. In this picture, you can just barely make out antennas on top of the hill. It was also completely defoliated at the top.

I was up there several times. Including the day our comm bunker for the Saigon tropo-shot was hit by a short round from a mortar the gooks had set up on the west side of the hill. They were trying to send it over into the 1st Mar Div compound. That kind of stuff was pretty common up there.

Great views of Da Nang, and the ocean on the east side of the hill, and you could see Death Valley all the way to Laos on the west side. At night on the east side, Da Nang would be all lit up, and you could see the lights from the ships out at sea. On the west side, it was pitch black except for the flashes of gun fire and explosions of the various firefights happening in the valley, and around An Hoa. It was weird ... life on one side ... death on the other.

Gannet
04-26-11, 07:47 AM
Hi Radio Relay, I was Radio Relay Technican with the 1st MAW Headquarter Group Radio Relay Central in DaNang (Dog Patch) and also was on Monkey Mountain with MCAS-4. We had TRC-97s & TRC-27 Microwave, we also had VHF links with An Hoa using AN/GRC-10 with three bay. I was in country February 1969 through March, 1970. I graduated from RRRC in November, 1968.

Williamwfh
04-26-11, 08:04 AM
Cherry dumplings apple pie I hear your station 5 x 5 , eennie minnie minney mooo, how do you hear my radio, over – 1963 author unknown, 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Light Anti Aircraft Missile Battalion

radio relay
04-26-11, 08:58 AM
Hi Radio Relay, I was Radio Relay Technican with the 1st MAW Headquarter Group Radio Relay Central in DaNang (Dog Patch) and also was on Monkey Mountain with MCAS-4. We had TRC-97s & TRC-27 Microwave, we also had VHF links with An Hoa using AN/GRC-10 with three bay. I was in country February 1969 through March, 1970. I graduated from RRRC in November, 1968.
Hey Gannet, I got to C&E in Sept '68. So you were basically a year ahead of me. I was first in country with 7th Comm. Starting in October '69, TAD to a site in Phu Bai. Then, transferred to 5th Comm in December. I left Vietnam in October of '70. Camp Hoa Long (5th Comm HQ) was turned over to the Army, and 5th Comm was decommissioned. I then went back to 7th Comm, in Okinawa. So anyway, we probably crossed paths. I never realized there was a comm unit in Dog Patch ... lol.

With 7th Comm, I was helping transition a TRC-97 & MRC-35 site to the ARVN's. The whole thing was a joke, because the ARVN's were lazy and never around. I was glad to be reassigned to 5th Comm.

5th Comm BN HQ, was in Da Nang, on China Beach, right next to MAG 16 Marble Mountain (awesome beach and location). We had a TRC-97 on Monkey Mountain, too. Shooting to Chu Lai, and then I think they had one shooting to Saigon, too. I was up there a few times taking parts up, assisting with fixes, and filling in. Worked with TRC-27's at a site just down from the Rock Pile, and Angry-10's in a lot of places (mostly around Da Nang, and along rte 9, and the DMZ) ... great duty! Saw a lot of I Corps.

Gannet
04-26-11, 05:22 PM
Yes we had links also to most of the same sites: we had TRC-97 links to Chu Li, Phu Bai actually drove up Route 1 from DaNang to Phu Bai to deliver parts, and Dong Ha. We had TRC-27 links between Radio Relay Central and Monkey Mountain, and Angry 10 (I never heard it call that, I like it) to An Hoa. All of our users were Air Wing Groups and I wonder if they still segregate the Air Wings from the Marine Divisions communications links.
I went to China Beach when I had off. Most of the time had to hitch a ride there. I still remember the Bar there and the beach. I remember I could buy hard liquor at PX there, but could not buy it at the PX on base.

meandoge8
04-26-11, 09:25 PM
Dogpatch, spent some nights there for BoomBoom. Another Hawker from the hill 327 in '66-'67. Also spent time with Bn as a driver, then ran a few convoys carrying bridging.

Bill Beason
05-26-11, 02:45 PM
I was with Echo battery 2/11 at An Hoa 1969-70. As the driver for gun #5, I made a ton of trips to Da Nang and drove through Dog Patch to get to Freedom Hill. After that, I was chosen to be the Co's driver and made even more trips to Da Nang. Had a lot of free time to see the sites, but was warned to stay away from Dog Patch by a MP friend I went through Boot Camp with. Oh, the memories.....(what little I still have)

jerry12
06-03-11, 10:19 PM
No MPC while I was there. All that came later.

Microsoft office 2010 (http://www.blogslinger.com/?L=blogs.blog&article=52027)
Microsoftoffice2010 (http://buymicrosoftoffice2010.yackk.com/2011/06/03/microsoft-office-2010-can-benefit-students/)
Microsoft office 2010 (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979400090)

FSBS2011
06-05-11, 03:09 AM
http://www.forsalebysoldiers.com It's just now about to launch and I'm going to enjoy selling my house and knowing that the public will check mine out first as a way of showing their support for service. Buddies can even trade or sell from a FOB in Iraq to a FOB in Afghanistan. Check it out and tell me if you agree?

dyer7240
06-11-11, 10:45 PM
Anybody out there former members of VMFA-513, Danang, 6/65 - 10/65?

Charles Weidman
06-24-11, 07:02 AM
In another thread, I gave some bum scoop on the aircraft that had crashed into H&MS-17 hangar.I originally said I thought it was an A-4 Skyhawk, but after getting some 35mm slides printed up, I saw it was a Navy A-7 Corsair with max combat damage loaded with sidewinder missiles that I'd helped download. I was a Staff Sergeant running the flare crew at the time with VMGR-152. I was attached out of Iwakuni, Japan. Go-men nay? (Japanese for "sorry 'bout that)

Dave Coup
06-24-11, 09:39 AM
I believe that sorry about that is 'Gomen nasai' pronounced gomen nasigh. Could be wrong thopugh as I am boocoo dinkydau.

JohnEaceHunt
06-24-11, 11:08 AM
Charles, it could have been an F-8 Crusader instead of the A-7. The F-8's were given to the Navy from the last Combat Squadron Based at Danang, Mag-11, VMF(AW)235, 'The Death Angels', bout june'68. We were the northern most hangar at Danang. We gave all of our U's to them, and had to go to Iwakuni, and de-moth ball 29 F-8 C's, and get them combat ready in 29 days, at NAHA Okinawa. Made it by one day. The only reason the F-8 was droped, was it only had one engine, and the phantom had 2. The F-8 beat it in every combat test they could test them, but the phantom still made it. I believe it was a command decision, as they say. All the Plane Capt's hated the phantom as it took twice as much maintenance to make the missions. I worked on the J-79's a lot, and it was a piece of junk. The J-57 on the F-8's hummed like a hummingbird. I believe the A-7 came out in '70, not sure. Dave, you are so right on the 'Gomen-nasigh'. I believe we all had a case of the dinkydau. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Charles Weidman
06-24-11, 11:19 AM
Am familiar with both aircraft and it was definitely an A-7 Corsair with Navy markings on the rear fuselage and the large word :NAVY! It slid into the hangar and struck a vertical upright with the starboard wing root. Much too SHORT for an F-8. This was in 1967. Had foam all around and over it from Crash Crew. My flare shop was just about 100 meters fgrom it.The Gomen was short for the full proper wording for SORRY. Spent 5 1/2 years total in Iwakini starting in 1958. The Old Gunny (me)

JohnEaceHunt
06-24-11, 11:37 AM
Charles, I get wrong at times. I hated to see the F-8 go. I really thought the corsair came out after '69. I hit in-country on 1 Feb.'68, and extended for rotors, the H-46. In my profile I said I had 4, but it was 5. The 22 they have now, is a complete joke. No guns, no auto-rotation, they fliped on landing a few times, and no single engine flying. There could be well over 70-80 way plus 46's flying , for 1, v-22. I believe it was just a money maker for boeing, and another command decision. Semper Fi, and Ready-APP.

JohnEaceHunt
06-24-11, 11:51 AM
Charles, while I was at Danang, I stayed away from Dog Patch. BUT, when I hit Chu-Lai, and went to the Army for MP Duty, Loved the litle town outside of the #1 Gate. We owned it. Had to have an Army, and a Marine in the jeeps all the time, and while on the gates. Pulled a string or two, and did the last month as lead jeep Gunner every day from Chu-Lai, to hill 63. Just ambushed 1 time. That was good duty as well. Dog Patch was a rough place, just to many vc. I didn't go there but a few times. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Charles Weidman
06-24-11, 03:40 PM
While at Danang, never went to Dog Patch. When we were at Chu Lai, never went to the 'ville either as it was all off limits to us, besides we worked all the time anyhow. Did manage to buy some beer on occasion.............Tiger? Bong de Bong? We called it "Block and Tackle" as if you could walk four blocks after six of them you would tackle anything LOL. When at Marble Mountain, went thru there only 3-4 times. At Marble Mountain, I was in HML-167, Danang attached to VMGR-152, Chu Lai was in MABS-12. Made the landing there and set up the whole shebang from scratch......bomb dump and have no idea just how much ammo we brought up from the beach from ammo ships. Remember it being SUPER HOT. The old bombs filled with TNT left from WWII and Korea would sweat a liquid that was NITRO!! Lot of fun. Semper Fi. Make war, not love, you can get laid anytime!!!

bulwark
06-24-11, 03:44 PM
:flag: When were you there in Da Nang, Chu lai?

Charles Weidman
06-24-11, 04:42 PM
Made the landing at Chu Lai in 1965 off an LST. Was in Danang in 1967 attached to VMGR-152 ran the flare section as a SSGT and was at Marble Mountain with HML-167 from end of 1970 to the shut down in 1971. Was the 167 Ordnance NCOIC and flew as a door gunner also. Rotated back to the "World" to New River Station. Transferred over to VMO-1 as ordnance NCOIC as 167 had no Ordnance Section. Did make a Med Cruise with the MAF back in 1976 before retirement in Oct 76.

vanmac
06-30-11, 06:34 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3000&pictureid=15257
This photo relates to Charles Weidman's story.

I wasn't there so maybe someone has more details on the incident.

As I told Charles, according to the record books the Corsairs came on line in early December 1967. They (VA-147) were flying off the USS Ranger.

We'll see if anyone else can recall this Kodak moment. Thanks Charles for a very cool flick. I sure the Brass must have been spazzing out when they saw the Sidewinder you took off the bird just lying over there on the deck.
-vm

vanmac
07-01-11, 07:57 PM
Here's the skinny on the A-7 crash.
<TABLE id=table304 width=970 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=106 bgColor=#ffffff>14 Sept 1968</TD><TD align=middle width=71 bgColor=#ffffff> </TD><TD align=middle width=80 bgColor=#ffffff>A‑7A</TD><TD align=middle width=78 bgColor=#ffffff>154344
NK 610</TD><TD align=middle width=77 bgColor=#ffffff>VA‑27
Da Nang AB, SVN</TD><TD align=middle width=161 bgColor=#ffffff>hit in starboard wing by AAA. Emergency landed at Da Nang, arrester cable broke and aircraft ran off runway</TD><TD align=middle width=187 bgColor=#ffffff>pilot ejected and rescued</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The pilot was the CO of VA-27, Cdr. George Pappas. His squadron was flying off the USS Constellation. -vm

Blackcat
07-01-11, 10:17 PM
I remember this like yesterday. We had a radio in the avionics shop and heard that he was going to try and land it. We all went outside to watch. We could see the smoke coming from the plane as he approached. I remember him touching down and saw the pilot eject. As he did the plane turned slightly to the right which meant that it was heading for us. I saw the plane go by and it had "00" painted on it. It pulled several hundred yards of rolled barbed wire with it as it crashed into the hanger. That plane in the hanger was one of ours. It was a US2B and regardless of what the records say I would have bet $1000 that it was an F-8 that passed within 100 feet from me. :confused:

Charles Weidman
07-05-11, 05:02 PM
The A-7 looked like a shrunken F-8 that was un-sanforized. I don't believe the wing raised/lowered. I do remember that we pitched one into a creek at Paige Field when I was at Beaufort early 60's. We were testing the SATS System out. I think the catapult malunctioned and didn't have enough speed for the F-8 to get airborne that and the fact the driver supposedly dropped his wing too soon. I was in MABS-31 Ordnance. Our shop was a GP tent in the beginning until they built us a new Butler building around the field close to Station Weapons. Our NCOIC was an old MGYSGT that was older than dirt. We had some tales to tell while there. Never forget his name..................PAPPY Wharton. He and my deceased BIL (retired USMC 1st Shirt were old friends. I left there for Iwakuni,Japan and MABS-12 and then to RVN on an LST with our gear. Just before payday, we took up a collection and filled our reefer with beer, rigged two Homelite generators gotten from Salvage, painted the works Marine Corps Green with TAC marks, banded it to a pallet and on a trailer. Got to Chu Lai and the whole damned place ran on diesel. Had to trade the grunts some beer for some mo-gas. Teraded the Sea-Bees some for a dozer driver to dig us a hole in the river bed for our shower. "Liberated" a water pump off an AKA ship and 40 feet of 3" hose which we put on a tri-pod for showers. Enginuity reigned supreme. We'd done so much for so long with so little, we could then do everything forever with NOTHIN! LOL. VMA-331 my squadron from the "50's and VMA-333 and VMF-451 (later VMFA-451). First were A-4s and the latter was F-4 Phantoms. Original 331, we had AD-5's and 6's prop driven. Later name was the Skyraider, bullet proof for sure. 15 bomb racks and four 20 mm MK-12 cannons. Sorry about the long of this. Just making sure the "Old Corps" is remembered is all. Gunny

bobjmichels
07-16-11, 02:22 PM
I remember Dog Patch. Just passed through and never stopped. I was with Comm Co A, Hq Bn (Rein), 1st Mar Div, from July 65 to end of January 68.

fl1946
07-17-11, 05:27 PM
Who "can't" recall Dog Patch!! I was attached to III MAF at the DaNang Press Center, located at the end of Doc Lop Street where I operated from as Marine combat cameraman. The press center also the jumping off point for journalists. Dog Patch was one of our haunts we visited in the CBS jeep. Of course, I took my rank off and was one of the civilian journalists! Anybody remember that nice upscale restaurant on Doc Lop Street before it was blown upy the VC?

Semper fi,

pfotoguy
11-27-11, 01:22 AM
I did my 13 months on Hill327 at the ammo dump 66-67.
Dog patch wasn't off limits to us, made 2-3 trips a week down there for beer and pussy.
Took me 40 years to get back there. I lived in Thailand for 5 years and been in the PI for 16 months now. Ive made 3 trips to VN since 2006. Love the place. Tried to get back up to the hill but theres no way. All taken over by the VN army.
dogpatch resembles nothing like it was back in the day. But then again nothing in VN looks the same. You could hardly tell there was a war there. I might try living there for a spell.

godfather1013
11-27-11, 08:57 AM
Hey pfotoguy. I was at the H&MS 11 Bomb Dump in '68. I must have just missed you. I remember Hill 327, but the fog of time has set it back in my memory. Where was it in relation to Freedom Hill... or were they one in the same? Our dump bordered Dog Patch, and it was your typical Vietnamese back water vill in those days. I'm sure that it's very modern now. Vietnam was always beautiful.. a tropical paradise, except for the damned war You seem to be living the life that you enjoy, and I am so glad for you. I always said that I would one day go back, but that will never happen. You have to have the bucks to do so and, after raising five children, I am just out of time and out of cash. Good Luck to you, Marine. May the wind always be at your back, and the sun shine on your face. Semper Fi!
John Zaffino Godfather 1013

Dog patch wasn't off limits to us, made 2-3 trips a week down there for beer and pussy.
Took me 40 years to get back there. I lived in Thailand for 5 years and been in the PI for 16 months now. Ive made 3 trips to VN since 2006. Love the place. Tried to get back up to the hill but theres no way. All taken over by the VN army.
dogpatch resembles nothing like it was back in the day. But then again nothing in VN looks the same. You could hardly tell there was a war there. I might try living there for a spell.

JohnC68
11-27-11, 12:20 PM

I was there Jan - Dec '68 next to 3rd Amtrak at Marble Moutain, guarding the I-Corps Navy comm site....think it was called Sea Anchor.......when I could, I would make a trip to your dump (I think north of the runway) for a case or two of M16 ammo that I used to attack 55 gallon drums and any other object in the Danang dump (base of MM) that was perceived as a threat, then back through Non Nuoc village, then 3rd Amtrak and back to the comm site. You guys would only give me cases of tracers.....what a mess, kept me busy cleaning that poor M16A1! :p

Went back in 2003, amazing transformation.....almost unregonizable, houses and big trees where there was nothing but sand and red dirt....love the place now! Take care man!

John

pfotoguy
11-27-11, 05:34 PM
Hey pfotoguy. I was at the H&MS 11 Bomb Dump in '68. I must have just missed you. I remember Hill 327, but the fog of time has set it back in my memory. Where was it in relation to Freedom Hill... or were they one in the same? Our dump bordered Dog Patch, and it was your typical Vietnamese back water vill in those days. I'm sure that it's very modern now. Vietnam was always beautiful.. a tropical paradise, except for the damned war You seem to be living the life that you enjoy, and I am so glad for you. I always said that I would one day go back, but that will never happen. You have to have the bucks to do so and, after raising five children, I am just out of time and out of cash. Good Luck to you, Marine. May the wind always be at your back, and the sun shine on your face. Semper Fi!
John Zaffino Godfather 1013

I was there Jan - Dec '68 next to 3rd Amtrak at Marble Moutain, guarding the I-Corps Navy comm site....think it was called Sea Anchor.......when I could, I would make a trip to your dump (I think north of the runway) for a case or two of M16 ammo that I used to attack 55 gallon drums and any other object in the Danang dump (base of MM) that was perceived as a threat, then back through Non Nuoc village, then 3rd Amtrak and back to the comm site. You guys would only give me cases of tracers.....what a mess, kept me busy cleaning that poor M16A1!

Went back in 2003, amazing transformation.....almost unregonizable, houses and big trees where there was nothing but sand and red dirt....love the place now! Take care man!

John

It seems funny now but when I was there it seemed like a beautiful place, (other than the fact people were trying to kill me) The first night I was there we had a sniper attack and a round missed my head by about an inch. I could feel the wind and hear the crack as it wised by my head. from that moment on I knew this was some serious ****.

I go back now and the people r so friendly. at least the young ones. A lot of the old ones still remember. Its strange to go through the Museums and see their side of the "American War"

At any rate if you can go back its a healing experience. And it was called Freedom Hill

MELVIN1833
11-27-11, 09:12 PM
:flag:Hey guy's I must be a little older than a couple of you I was at the foot of 327 from Jule 65 until April 66, but I was mos 1833 Amtrac, but you sure bring back a lot of memories, you are the first that I have heard from that was close to the hill at the same time that I was. Thanks Bazzy and 3531Marine for the memories, Keep in touch will you, ain't many of us old salts left, but I just had a grandson graduate from the island on 10 28 11 he will be in artillary, he will be ok, I taught him all that I could about saving his ass. take care bros and keep in touch. SemperFi . MELVIN1833

bulwark
11-27-11, 10:02 PM
I was there from Dec.'65 to Sept.'66, with 13th motors, assigned to the bomb dump and hauled bombs, gas, ammo, refilled aircraft, bombs to and from the dump to the ready line revetment, and when I was busy, I did everything in between, like green bag patroll, clearing roads, and looking for Charlie. Memories of Dog Patch, Hill 327, the city of Da Nang proper, all bring back some good things and bad things. Survived mortar attacks, sniper fire, lucky for us then they didn't do the IEDs, or RPGs. Was shot at hauling bombs from the LSTs to the base, and could see the rounds bouncing off the bombs. A once in a life time experience, I recommend for everybody that wants a little excitement in their lives.

Kwiz
11-29-11, 09:31 AM
Hill 327 and Freedom Hill were the Same-Same, for those who forgot. I was there 1968-1969

sifupr
11-29-11, 09:44 AM
Dogpatch Danang? Yeah, I remember it . . . lol

LarryStarr
11-29-11, 10:29 PM
Was shot at hauling bombs from the LSTs to the base, and could see the rounds bouncing off the bombs. A once in a life time experience, I recommend for everybody that wants a little excitement in their lives.

Got to love the way you turn a phrase. :beer:
I was with 11th Motors 70-71. I watched a video that someone shot from a scooter posted here somewhere a year or so ago, coming out of Danang, past Freedom hill through the old 1St Mar. Div. HQ area and up on the ridge. I drove those roads every day with a 5-ton, and barely recognized any of them in the video, and that road going up to the ridge was barely wide enough for the scooter the guy was riding!
I imagine two things have changed over time, those roads, and my memory.
Semper FI.

DocGreek
11-29-11, 10:55 PM
9288.........is THIS the "REMF" store that all of you NUMBNUTS hung out at?????......"WAR IS HELL"......?

LarryStarr
11-29-11, 11:05 PM
9288.........is THIS the "REMF" store that all of you NUMBNUTS hung out at?????......"WAR IS HELL"......?

How ya been Doc. Yup, even saw Bob Hope out back of that place ... from about 100 feet on the outside of the concertina wire :bunny:

DocGreek
11-29-11, 11:12 PM
:D....LARRY, heard that some real "quality" USO shows were set up there!!.....:D

HM3 Doc Wilder
11-29-11, 11:58 PM
That's the Place DocGreek,A case of Beer was about $3.75 US for Bud Wiser or was that for Pabst Blue Ribbon? Cold Beer,warm beer was nice to have.A Dodge Charger was about $2500.00 from the hill...

LarryStarr
11-30-11, 11:18 PM
:D....LARRY, heard that some real "quality" USO shows were set up there!!.....:D
Yes, I believe they did the only one that I saw was the Bob Hope thing, in December of 70 ... at least they said it was him, kind of hard to tell for sure from that range :bunny:

bulwark
12-01-11, 06:29 AM
I seen his show in December '65 Hope and Ann-Margret Had a front row seat, never did see the movie through.

tgwkreu7
12-01-11, 01:12 PM
the only Dog Patch that i know of was in Li'l Abner and Daisy Mae that was once in the Sundays newspaper

bulwark
12-01-11, 02:16 PM
must have been way before your time, I was there when you sat at a table and looked out for shiney things in your drink that wasn't suppose to be there, same thing in Da Nang also, They liked to grined glass and mix it in with the ice. Then serve it to you.

GT6238
12-02-11, 05:41 PM
Off limits when I was there...

Kwiz
12-04-11, 07:30 AM
didnt look that nice when i was there, dock greeks photo i mean

12-29-11, 01:16 PM
I used to pass through Dog Patch on my way to the water point in DaNang.I drove the night shift ,Hauled water from the seabees base to Camp Brooks @ Force Logistics Command , Also from The water point at DaNang to FLC> I was ther in 1970 and 1971 . L/CPL Whitaker

12-29-11, 01:17 PM
I could tell you some stories about Dog Patch , but I,ll save them for another time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elmerfudd2
01-06-12, 01:51 PM
PFC (E-2) Robert Russel Garwood DOB 04/01/1946 The year was 1965 year of (whatever the f___ it is) He was court marshaled at Camp lejune NC.

01-06-12, 05:22 PM
Larry, I was at the Bob hope show in Dec 1970.Saw the Gold Diggers also.

Flyfish99
01-08-12, 09:02 AM
Never made it to Dogpatch. Always seem to have just been passing through Danang . Old transit hootches by the airfield or construction barracks with the fancy bunks .

LarryStarr
01-10-12, 07:29 AM
Larry, I was at the Bob hope show in Dec 1970.Saw the Gold Diggers also.
Yup, and Lola Falana, was his headliner.

montana
01-21-12, 07:00 PM
was in the bush, but heard that Bob Hope was in country in 1970..thats as close as i got to seeing him....how i longed to see round eyes and white teeth

kink
01-21-12, 10:24 PM
:)
Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
Jim

kink
01-21-12, 10:27 PM
Hey Jim I remember Dog Patch, I didn;t know that it was off limits but me and my bro were from Quang Tri, we boarding a plane to Okinawa we had a 2 houir lay over man did I lay over I lost it in Dog Patch at 18

Ed Palmer
01-22-12, 06:44 AM
Hey Jim I remember Dog Patch, I didn;t know that it was off limits but me and my bro were from Quang Tri, we boarding a plane to Okinawa we had a 2 houir lay over man did I lay over I lost it in Dog Patch at 18

You guys are the reason we were so busy at first Med Bn,
When I was there in 68.
Here is a PDF of the Command Chronology for March of 68,

http://www.virtual.vietnam.ttu.edu/cgi-bin/starfetch.exe?vusSmqt6dSSgDKBK0taPHlSKTg5gXsOOduwq K.uyjWTzDWQnR9J07JgZDnbE0DOWy6rsdEDTVO2q6JQfI78yrn pk441v8Bz4rV3H0PQZJYJcOs6W9QX.cA/1201010073.pdf
Read page 4 under Admissions where it says Battle Casualties 641

Non Battle injuries 223

Disease 421

Out patient visits 1817

runamok
02-20-12, 11:17 AM
:flag:
I was there several time from 1967 to 1970. I was with HQ Battery 11th Marines and it was off limits to lower ranking Marines.
I too was with Hq Battery 11th Matines. I remember the ammo dump blowing up when I was there. Remember me?? I was a radio operator and driver for the last half for Comm Officer. I was there as a private,2nd tour, and left a lance. I rember our loach getting hit with a rocket one morning and killing the crew taking off.

FistFu68
02-20-12, 11:24 AM
:evilgrin: How about SOUL ALLEY? Der in Dog Patch where they sent 200 of Us Loaded for Bear and Snatching Up all "The Deserters"!!! :confused: :iwo:

HoaAn6970
02-23-12, 10:21 AM
The Vietnamization of war order by President Nixon 1969 July included 3rd Marine Division at Dong Ha to deploy back to OKI./ or Camp Pendelton and the redirection of Marine forces in other parts of I Corp area in Vietnam.

The area nicknamed Dog Patch was part of Hoa Phat Village District which encluded Phouc Toung, Hoa An, Ninh Hoa and I believe Hoa Kanh was also part there of.

I was part of the Marine Squad assigned to Hoa An 69/70 we lived in the hamlet of Hoa An , Phouc Toung had another Marine Squad Embedded there as well.

There is little known of our activity there. The area was indeed off limits to Military Personnel except for the two squads that were there. The last Marine there was me November 30 1970. We were told to stand down about three weeks earlier, we had only daylight visits to handle last minute Concerns of the Village/Hamlet Chiefs and the next day December 1st 1970 at 0100 hrs. I departed Vietnam. Many villager freind til this day have been missed.

02-24-12, 05:11 PM
Hoann, I might be wrong, but I was there for a few days in Dec ,1970.I was ther at the ROKMC , S4 to turn some of our trock over to the ROC Marines.I was with Organic Motor transport at FLC , camp Books.I left in Feb 28 1971.

kaelobo
02-25-12, 10:34 AM
I was taken to Red beach hosp, when Bob Hope was there alot of guys went to see him, i could not even walk at the time, but heard about dog patch stories about razor blade in rubber balls, as soon as i was able to walk i was on a chopper back to cam lo. a guy i met brought back nice camera he bought at the big PX , s/f

HoaAn6970
02-27-12, 06:29 AM
We had a few ROKMC passing thru Hoa An from time to time but while My squad lived in Hoa An for over 2 1/2 years (I spent most of my 20 months in country there) there was not any detachment of the Blue Dragon Brigade there (ROKMC) in our Hamlet. ROKMC HQ was just outside of Hoi An about half way between Danang and Chu Lai. You may have passed thru or been part of a operation in Hoa An area. Don't know what happened after I left. All I know was when my squad left it was to be the last embedded full time marines in this one hamlet, not saying there were not operations conducted in Our AO after we left or I left. I always wondered what happened after Dec1st 1970.

one note I do remember there was one ROKMC officer seems like he was a Major was seen several times visiting his girl friend there. Semper Fi!

LarryStarr
02-28-12, 10:15 PM
I recall making a number of runs to a CAP Unit at Hoi An (I was with 11th Motors 1970-1971), was that you?

HoaAn6970
02-29-12, 07:21 AM
I would say yes. I can remember when Typhoon Kate came thru and destroyed alot of the only one lane road (I mean it was a squeeze for a duece and half ) that joined the other hamlets thru our area and there were several dump type trucks that brought load after load of sand/dirt from somewhere over toward Namo Bridge area to fill in the washed out road. This was around sept/oct 1970. Semper Fi.

HoaAn6970
02-29-12, 07:42 AM
Sorry about that! I didn't read the Village right...... you said Hoi An...... my mind registered Hoa An. That was not me or the others in my unit. Even though we were there in Hoi An several times best fish and shrimp makets in all of I Corps.

LarryStarr
02-29-12, 10:50 PM
I would say yes. I can remember when Typhoon Kate came thru and destroyed alot of the only one lane road (I mean it was a squeeze for a duece and half ) that joined the other hamlets thru our area and there were several dump type trucks that brought load after load of sand/dirt from somewhere over toward Namo Bridge area to fill in the washed out road. This was around sept/oct 1970. Semper Fi.

A lot of the, so called, roads we used were ... interesting. No I'm trying to recall how I got there, We'd start out with a convoy, down Hwy 1, heading toward Baldy, or one of the firebases past there. There was a blown up shrine along the road, just before the turn, where we'd split off with 1 or 2 gun trucks, depending on how much we were hauling, and end up at the Hoi An CAP unit.

I do remember that typhoon, although you're ahead of me because I couldn't recall it's name. One of our drivers came close to losing he head, in compound, to a piece of flying roofing tin. He threw up his arms and had both forearms cut to the bone. Kind of ugly but beats having his neck cut to the bone.

Semper FI

LarryStarr
02-29-12, 10:57 PM
Sorry about that! I didn't read the Village right...... you said Hoi An...... my mind registered Hoa An. That was not me or the others in my unit. Even though we were there in Hoi An several times best fish and shrimp makets in all of I Corps.

Ooops! I think I was guilty of missing that to. Our compound was nestled just across the valley from 1st Mar Div, next door to Dog Patch. I think the closest ville, was "Da Son", I think that was the ville, to our right, as we looked through the wire and across the rice paddy. I know that one night there was a firefight across that rice paddy that lasted a good half hour. Word we got the next day was that an ARVN unit on one side of the paddy, spotted a PF unit on the other side and they opened up on each other.

It was colorful from our vantage point, nothing coming our way!

Semper FI

HoaAn6970
03-03-12, 11:20 AM
The split off was south of Danang where the road forked the right fork I don't know where it went,the left fork continue to Hoa Phouc Village/District we always turn left off on HWY 1 then crossed the bridge to next four corners where we went right on to 607 to Hoi An.

Seems like a long trip just to go 30 miles

LarryStarr
03-04-12, 06:55 PM
The split off was south of Danang where the road forked the right fork I don't know where it went,the left fork continue to Hoa Phouc Village/District we always turn left off on HWY 1 then crossed the bridge to next four corners where we went right on to 607 to Hoi An.

Seems like a long trip just to go 30 miles

That does sound right, yes, it does seem like a heck of a long ways, for a 30 mile trip.

bulwark
03-17-13, 11:37 AM
I was there in '64-'65, at that time the patch was on limits, had a blast there when I was in town, Some of the best treats, and drinks out of a bottle that we popped the cap off. Seen the QC's grab a national and pick him up threw him in the back of their jeep, and whaled the tar out of him. Not a pretty site, they used their batons on the guy, but then he must have deserved it.

HoaAn6970
03-17-13, 03:36 PM
If you traveled toward Hill 327 from 4 corners you would go about 150 yards take the first turn right (trail/entrance) thru the ville it ziz-zag north about two miles all the way to highway 1. We were about 1 mile north of Phouc Toung in the village of Hoa An. Once you made the right turn there was 1 Squad of Marine in Phouc Toung(Dogpatch). We were the other squad about 1 mile north of them between 4 corners and FLC. Dod patch was off limits then except for the two Squads of Marines living within this AO.

Carpshooter
04-17-13, 04:54 PM
If I could only go back !

HM3 Doc Wilder
04-18-13, 11:09 AM
The Clap,Syph,and Non-Specific Urethritis,was very Prevalent in 68 and 69 in Dog-Patch.If you Guys don't remember me,maybe you remember the 2 Procaine Penicillin Shots I gave you.One 5cc shot in each outer side Butt Cheek.Or Two Weeks of OXYTetracycline with Probanimide to Protect your Kidneys.Syph was 2 shots for Two days in a row.LOL.

HM3 Doc Wilder
04-18-13, 11:18 AM
Erithromycin for the Syph,for 2 weeks if you were Allergic to Penicillin.

HM3 Doc Wilder
04-18-13, 11:25 AM
I remember this French Vietnamese Hooker in Dog Patch named Mya ,she was pretty good looking....youhad to play hide and seek with the M.P.'s Dangerous but Fun.....

Carpshooter
04-18-13, 05:08 PM
Well I never ever fell for that boom-boom crap , while walking through Dogpatch , as I knew them little Vietnamese boys just wanted a blue eye brother or sister and I thought no-way ! I made them suffer , no wonder they surrender later on to the communists !

That's my story and I'm sticking to it !

advanced
04-18-13, 06:56 PM
Well, I traveled through dogpatch a couple of times, what I put on the tip of my rifle is what I put on the tip of my gun, no problems.

J-Rooster
10-03-13, 02:23 AM
I was at Dog Patch and Four Corners once! I was a rifleman at FLC, Da Nang, 3 Charlie Squad I was in Nam Dec 69 to Jan 71, 13 months. Semper Fi Do or Die

radio relay
10-03-13, 07:26 AM
The Dog Patch up at Four Corners was a cesspool of filth and disease. Ain't no way I was ever sticking my "lance" in anything walking around that place. There was a "steam and cream" just a couple klicks before the MAG-16 gate, off Rte 1, that was on an Army compound. I would get my pipes cleaned there every now and then. It was convenient for me, because it was right where you turned onto the road to 5th Comm Bn. So, I'd swing in and get a "massage". It was awesome. Especially if I'd been in the bush a few weeks.

Carpshooter
10-19-13, 05:34 PM
What does FLC stand for , as I was headed there before being assign to VMGR-152 while waiting at Okinawa , cause of my MOS !

USMC6477
10-19-13, 07:56 PM
Dog Patch was the only place for good food and good "company" during my tours in 1965 - 1966 at HQ 12th Marine (Camp Big Foot) and 1968 with Blt 2/26, 11th and 13th Marines.

J-Rooster
10-20-13, 06:11 PM
Carpshooter, FLC stands for Fleet Logistics Command it was the main supply base for all the U.S.M.C. Troops in the Northern part of South Vietnam. The MOS number for supply was 3051. And it was the most dangerous post in Vietnam! Between the enemy lobbing rockets in there and the race riots inside the Base it was a very tense place to be in. I was in the EM Club "Bamboo Palace" minding my own business one day and a fight broke out between the whites and blacks and a hand grenade went off inside the club thrown by one of those guys killing one and injuring others. I was on the far side of the club and just got my ear drums blew out! No High Ranking Officers would sleep at the FLC Base at night they were flown off base every night by helicopter they felt it was to dangerous for them. My MOS was 3051 but, I volunteered to be a rifleman on a night ambush squad (I enjoyed being off that base as much as I could) and we provided security for the base (FLC) and a nearby artillery base, which was manned by the 9th Marines. We went out on a Operation one time with the 5th Marines and we also served as back up for the 1st Marine Division on Hill #190. We were a detachment of the 1st Marine Division to provide security for FLC are Captain at Hill #190 was Capt. Gary Carlson and we were know as the 1st Provisional Rifle Company. I was in squad 3 Charlie I served in Nam from Dec. 69 to Jan. 71 13 months then returned to Camp Pendleton where I was a Rifle Range Instructor! Semper Fi Do or Die

LarryStarr
10-20-13, 11:03 PM
Funny Little Circus :D
But they referred to it, officially, as Force Logistics Command.

m14ed
10-21-13, 05:17 AM
If you traveled toward Hill 327
from 4 corners
you would go about 150 yards
take the first turn right (trail/entrance) thru the ville
ziz-zag north about two miles
all the way to highway 1.
We were about 1 mile north of Phouc Toung
in the village of Hoa An.

Once you made the right turn
there was 1 Squad of Marine in (((Phouc Toung (Dogpatch) ))). ****

We were the other squad
about 1 mile north of them
between 4 corners and FLC.

Dod patch was off limits then except for the two
Squads of Marines living within this AO.

****( Trust me when I tell you . then real name of/for dogpatch
this thread is talking about is SPOKEN as "HOW FAT"
RIGHT OUT SIDE Mag11's - gate....

No doubt you're entitled to a village close to where you worked
to call your own "DogPatch"

William Hardy
10-21-13, 01:52 PM
Carpshooter, FLC stands for Fleet Logistics Command it was the main supply base for all the U.S.M.C. Troops in the Northern part of South Vietnam. The MOS number for supply was 3051. And it was the most dangerous post in Vietnam! Between the enemy lobbing rockets in there and the race riots inside the Base it was a very tense place to be in. I was in the EM Club "Bamboo Palace" minding my own business one day and a fight broke out between the whites and blacks and a hand grenade went off inside the club thrown by one of those guys killing one and injuring others. I was on the far side of the club and just got my ear drums blew out! No High Ranking Officers would sleep at the FLC Base at night they were flown off base every night by helicopter they felt it was to dangerous for them. My MOS was 3051 but, I volunteered to be a rifleman on a night ambush squad (I enjoyed being off that base as much as I could) and we provided security for the base (FLC) and a nearby artillery base, which was manned by the 9th Marines. We went out on a Operation one time with the 5th Marines and we also served as back up for the 1st Marine Division on Hill #190. We were a detachment of the 1st Marine Division to provide security for FLC are Captain at Hill #190 was Capt. Gary Carlson and we were know as the 1st Provisional Rifle Company. I was in squad 3 Charlie I served in Nam from Dec. 69 to Jan. 71 13 months then returned to Camp Pendleton where I was a Rifle Range Instructor! Semper Fi Do or Die

FLC was also where the bakery was located. When I went on courier from 1st MAW, I went to Red Beach and then to FLC where we stopped at the bakery on our way out and got fresh donuts and coffee. Got a sack full before we left to bring back to the guys.

m14ed
10-22-13, 03:15 AM
****( Trust me when I tell you . then real name of/for dogpatch
this thread is talking about is SPOKEN as "HOW FAT"
RIGHT OUT SIDE Mag11's - gate....

No doubt you're entitled to a village close to where you worked
to call your own "DogPatch"

I posted that in haste yesterday...

the thread doesn't specify which DogPatch ?

J-Rooster
10-24-13, 12:19 PM
I stand corrected! Thank You

William Hardy
10-24-13, 03:09 PM
From 4 corners one road went to Freedom Hill and 1st MarDiv on Hill 327. Facing that direction, take the road to the right along the fence line of Danang Air Base and it runs into Danang's Dog Patch. The back gate of 1st Maw opened to Dog Patch where the momma-sans and papa-sans entered the base each morning. If you Google Map Danang, you can still see exactly where it is.

J-Rooster
10-24-13, 05:54 PM
Thanks Gunney! I was on a night ambush squad just about my whole time in Nam so I don't know it very well during the day.

Searchlight Plt
05-03-15, 05:06 PM
I hope I'm posting to the right thread I'm looking for some of the fellow Marines that were there May 13 1967 when the Hawk missiles were hit on Freedom Hill otherwise know as Hill 327. <br />
I was one...

meandoge8
05-03-15, 09:39 PM
I remember the Army searchlight unit coming on the hill. I also remember one of the first nights up there you lit up an ambush down in the valley and you lost one of your big lights. The Marines dogged the crap out of you newbies on the hill. If I recall you were set up facing the happy valley. I left the hill just before the sappers took off the top of the hill. I went down to battalion to drive duce-n-a-1/2s. From there I saw the huge blast when the fuel bladder was set off. Looked like an a-bomb.
balexander7@cfl.rr.com

HoaAn6970
06-03-15, 02:05 PM
the Hawk"s warhead was found down in the valley quite a distant west beyond Charlie ridge. Found in September 69...It was kept back at a compound near the air base. They used it for a conversation piece. I didn't want to look at it very long.

rkent
08-24-15, 02:54 PM
I was in-country from June '66 through July '67. I seem to remember just outside the gate at Dog Patch, an M-50 accidentally discharged and blew away a Vietnamese vehicle. I also seem to remember the...

edsmittay
09-02-15, 09:47 AM
I was there from Oct 68 till Dec 69 I remember Dog Patch real well lol I went back to Dog Patch last March 2015 it has changed quite a bit the shacks are gone and more durable buildings and businesses line the streets now Da Nang is a big modern city now with lots to see If you get a chance you should go back

MatthewP
09-02-15, 10:58 AM
After we dumped our 55 gallon drums of mess hall waste, we would pay 1 or 2 cases of c Rats for the Viet nam guys to wash the truck. Then we got a better deal. The contents of the 55 gallon drums for a free wash.

MatthewP
09-02-15, 11:11 AM
I was with C Battery 1st LAAM Bn on Hill327. We had a mess hall as of oct 66

Matt

MatthewP
09-02-15, 11:15 AM
They had a air conditioned movie theater

MatthewP
09-02-15, 11:28 AM
As far as I know they were not used. Sometimes the IFF signal from our Phatom Jets were shot out. By the time we got permission to shot our missilies the Pilot landed and was drunk or asleep. Matt from C Battery

MatthewP
09-02-15, 11:59 AM
I was there. I drove a Missile loader and picked up the broken missiles.

Matt Wojciechowski
marine77777@comcast.net

MatthewP
09-02-15, 12:02 PM
When they found the missile, I was told the 110 pounds of TNT was missing from the missile.

Matt
marine77777@comcast.net

gkmoz
09-02-15, 02:09 PM
http://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVv63SOdVVHYAN9wPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTEz ZWY2OGpwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDRkZSQUMwXzEEc2 VjA3Nj?p=Who+Remembers+Dog+Patch+Viet+Nam&fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_003&hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003

Rainbelt
11-15-16, 10:32 PM
If you look carefully at my profile picture, you can see MM in the background. You can see where the two hit.

Opps. Never mind. I just looked at my picture and MM is almost cropped out.