PDA

View Full Version : US Navy Medic Carl Nitch

Gail Hanes
02-02-05, 10:42 PM
Searching for anyone who may have served with my brother. He was US Navy Medic with Lima Co/1st plt/3 bn/9th mar/3rd mar div at "The Rockpile" late 1967-late 1968. Nicknames "Squidly" and "Doc Cal". Shared hooch with Marine Radioman Bob Citron [already in touch with him] and Medic Matt Simonoff [also in touch with him]. Have photo of Simonoff, Carl and fellow named Cortier [spelling?]. Served with Sgt. Ron Whorley [spelling?] who died the same nite Carl was wounded with only 20 days left in-country. Carl was from Sharpsville, PA; tall, thin, light brown hair, black-rimmed glasses. Loved his Cuttysark Scotch. [I sent him bottle padded in straw cowboy hat and Easter basket grass.] Did R & R in Thailand but don't know dates. Took schrapnel both legs 4/10/68 running to wounded Marine in ridges after ambush while on operation with 2nd & 3rd plts. Contracted malaria and was sent to Da Nang Hospital for treatment, but not sure of dates. Carl died 12/30/2000 after almost 5 year battle with cancer caused by Agent Orange [confirmed by drs.] without telling his sons anything about his time in-country. I know some, but would like to know more. Not concerned about details involving combat, more about who and what Carl was over there. I'm trying to compile memorial book for his 3 sons and his grandchildren. If you knew Carl, please contact me at e-mail address >SGchpndl@aol.com<.
I'm married to a Marine [also Nam vet]..so SEMPER FI to all!