PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Little, Chicken Little, The Sky Is Falling!

thedrifter
02-02-05, 06:43 AM
Jim Carey: Chicken Little, Chicken Little, The Sky Is Falling!

January 31, 2005

Well, it's Monday, 31 JAN 2005 and the Iraqi elections are now a fact, forever engraved in indelible ink in the pages of world history. (Full story) They were an unqualified success, in spite of all the dire predictions of many of our nation's politicians and talking airheads. Kind of makes you wonder why we listen to these idiots in the first place, doesn't it - when they are wrong so often. But we do - and often it's because we have little choice if we tune in the TV networks - since that seems to be the caliber of elected officials and on-air commentators that these networks choose to put on their newscasts. Surely they wouldn't be trying to foist their own personal partisan political opinions on us, would they? Surely the FCC doesn't license the public-owned airwaves to them to provide them a captive forum to sell their personal views by labeling it as "news," and then transmitting it to the American public as fact? Surely that isn't what's happening, is it? As my now departed dear Irish Mother used to say, "Things that make you go hmm!"

So why don't we take just a minute or so to examine what we've been told in the preceding weeks regarding the elections in Iraq, and then look at the facts as to what actually happened. In my opinion, the difference is much the same as the difference between night and day, between dark and light, between lies and the truth. What a sad commentary that use of the public airwaves has degenerated into such purveyors of pure, unadulterated baloney.

Why do I say this, you ask? [At least I hope you asked, because I'm about to answer you].

I say it because all the guys and gals over in Iraq who communicate with me keep sending me e-mails telling me, "Don't believe what you are seeing on the news media back home - we see those newscasts on our TVs over here, and they are grossly and outrageously slanted against the war and against all the good that is being accomplished over here." Now that's not me talking - that's our sons and daughters that are actually over there and this is what they're telling me. Not just 70 percent or 80 percent or 90 percent of them, but ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THEM. How very sad that these brave young men and women are over there risking their lives, only to be sold out by the very journalists that profess to America hourly and daily how they are unbiased and only presenting the truth. [NOTE: For those journalists NOT GUILTY of the foregoing and telling ALL SIDES OF THE IRAQ STORY, please feel free to disregard this paragraph.]

Just 2 days ago, I heard a well-known American political figure on TV state in absolutely outrageous verbiage that Iraq had now turned into another Vietnam quagmire, that the situation had become untenable, that the Iraqis were demanding that we leave, and that we needed to pull 12,000 troops out immediately to show Iraq and the world that "we're leaving." Of course this politician never served in a combat zone in a foreign land - anyone who has will tell you they can endure almost anything for America, if America will only stand by them. This is obviously a politician who doesn't understand that, who appears to care less that by making these statements he is actually encouraging the enemy to keep killing more and more Americans until we leave, and the rest of the world once again sees us as "just like Hungary and Vietnam, America has once again promised one thing and it's political leaders are saying let's abandon these people to whatever happens to them." How very sad. Who among us elects people like this?

By all accounts that I've seen thus far on the Iraq elections, they've exceeded our own American 2004 election turnout by well over 10% with a 61-64% turnout, and the Iraqi's weren't just having to brave rush hour traffic or rainy weather to cast their votes - they were being told by the murderers and terrorists in their country that if they voted, they would be beheaded, as would their families and children, that they would be hunted down like animals and exterminated. Yet the Iraq people voted at a rate at least 10% higher than we did here in America where our biggest voting worry is a paper cut or a hang nail. Do these people hunger for freedom and democracy - you better believe it. They want to be able to sing that "they are the land of the free and the home of the brave" just as much as we do.

In spite of this incredible election success in this dangerous land, the American naysayers are already out and on TV bloviating about how "this proves nothing," and the fact that Iraqis can show up and vote doesn't mean that they will become a democracy and doesn't mean they really want freedom, etc., etc., ad nauseum! Huh? What am I missing here? Braving maiming and death to cast a vote for freedom and democracy doesn't prove you want to be free and democratic? Where do we get these idiot commentators? Gimme a break!

To all who cannot seem to miss an opportunity to garner a vote from the anti-Iraq anti-war anti-freedom great unwashed, I say to you that you dishonor our American sons and daughters who have given their lives or a part of their body to provide this freedom to these people enslaved by Saddam Hussein and his henchmen for decades.

To all the wonderful American guys and gals that are in Iraq today, I say hold your heads high, for you will be forever known in history as the men and women who brought these tens of millions of people from slavery to freedom and self-determination.

To all the brave Iraqi men and women who, in the name of freedom and self-government, braved murder and beheading of yourselves and your families to show the world how very much you hunger to live in peace in your own nation, I salute you. You have shown the world that courage is in your ancestry and freedom is in your hearts, and truly I pray that one day you will have your own Iraqi version that we here in America sing with such pride, "of the land of the free, and the home of the brave."

WELL DONE to all who have brought this great day to the world in the 21st Century.

The world owes you much, and you can live the rest of your lives knowing that you have now joined that long line of true heroes that have helped to free the oppressed from the yoke of slavery and tyranny.

Ellie