PDA

View Full Version : New Marine loses more than 150 pounds to achieve goal

thedrifter
02-01-05, 09:57 AM
New Marine loses more than 150 pounds to achieve goal
Submitted by: 8th Marine Corps District
Story Identification #: 200513117392
Story by Sgt. Rob Henderson

RECRUITING STATION FORT WORTH, Texas (Jan. 15, 2005) -- Unfortunately, there's no magic pill for weight loss, but there is a formula. For one new Marine, following the formula of eating right and exercising led him, 155 pounds lighter, to the healthiest point in his life.
Although Pfc. Jeremy W. Helton's lifestyle before joining the Marine Corps was no laughing matter, he can now look back and smile.

"The first time I ran, I couldn't even use a watch to keep time," joked Helton, now serving as a recruiter's assistant, Recruiting Sub-station Lewisville, Texas. "I had to use a calendar."

At his heaviest point during high school, Helton, a native of Little Elm, Texas., weighed 340 pounds. He admits students at school picked on him because of his girth, and while the teasing bothered him, it was a personal desire to be a Marine that made Helton take action.

"I always felt different because I was fat," said Helton. "I decided to join the Marine Corps, but I knew I needed to lose weight first."
Before darkening the local recruiter's door, Helton committed himself to a low-calorie diet program and started running and lifting weights. He shed nearly 50 pounds before January when he met Sgt. Steve Flores, a local recruiter in Lewisville.

"I picked the [benefit] tag for Physical Fitness as my first choice when Sergeant Flores was interviewing me," said Helton. "All of them were good choices, but physical fitness was my first priority."

At the time Helton entered the Delayed Entry Program he weighed roughly 290 pounds. Once he took that first step to becoming a Marine, Flores stepped in to help. "I came up here every single morning, and one of the recruiters, usually Sgt. Flores, would go running with me," said Helton. "It really showed me how Marines take care of each other."

In July, Helton shipped out to Marine recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif. When he boarded the plane, his weight had plummeted to 225 pounds. From there, the drill instructors took over.

Assigned as a "diet recruit" upon arrival at recruit training, Helton's caloric intake was closely monitored by Marines aboard MCRD. Diet recruits are given the same portions of food as other recruits, but they are not allowed any sweet or fatty foods.

"It was hard being a diet recruit in bootcamp," said Helton. "Sometimes your body just wants a piece of cake."

Although the lack of sugar was a big challenge for him, the small sacrifice was worth the reward on graduation day. At 185 pounds, Helton was unidentifiable to even those who know him best.

"My own mother didn't even recognize me at graduation," said Helton. "She walked right past me. She's proud, and she thinks it's awesome I have lost this weight. I'll tell you, I couldn't have done it without Sgt. Flores though."

For his part, Flores refuses any of Helton's praises. The day he met Helton, Flores saw a determined young man who wanted something more from life and was willing to work for it.

"I believe anyone can become a Marine and deserves a chance to try," said Flores, a native of Brooklyn, NY. "(Helton) was really overweight, but there was something different about him. He had the drive, a real determination, to accomplish his goals, and he did by his own hard work."

Helton will soon leave Texas for Marine Combat Training at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif. Afterwards, he will attend the Basic Cannon Crewman Course at Fort Sill, Okla., to become a Field Artillery Cannoneer.

It took a lot of hard work for Helton to get down to his target weight, and he's confident he will stay there.

"I've changed my lifestyle, so I don't think the weight will come back as long as I maintain," said Helton. "This chapter, the weight-loss chapter, of my life is closed now, and I'm just ready to get in the field and do what Marines do."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200513118737/$file/Helton3low.jpg

Private First Class Jeremy W. Helton, recruiter's assistant, Recruiting Sub-
Station Lewisville scans the sidewalks in front of his recruiting office for potential
applicants Nov. 15, 2004. Helton lost more than 150 pounds through dieting and exercising to become a Marine.
Photo by: Sgt. Rob Henderson

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

AshleyMS
02-01-05, 09:39 PM
When you want something bad enough you will take action. I know that when I decided that I wanted to join the Corps I knew I had to lose a good bit of weight. I worked and worked on that, in the end I lost almost 100lbs, joined and here I am today. I think that was all the motivation I needed, I had came that far and done so much I was not going to leave PI without the Title. Believe it or not, when I finally lost the weight and my recruiter told me that I was good to go, I went home and cried....I was so happy and so proud of myself! Now I am even more proud of why I did it and what I gained out of it. Sometimes you have to lose to gain!!!
Semper Fi

lprkn
02-02-05, 04:56 PM
Good on you LCpl.

That kid's gonna have to be careful at Ft. Sill though. Speaking from firsthand experience, that Army chow is yummy. However, the battery CO there is a marathon runner, so morning PT tends to counter the chow.

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 01:47 AM
That's so motivating. That's what it's all about.

AshleyMS
02-10-05, 09:37 PM
That is what it is about...you have to have the determination and desire to become a Marine! Its hard work but if you work for it you will make it!