PDA

View Full Version : Where do Marines really come from...?

jo1753
01-31-05, 04:16 PM
Just moments ago while I was reading thru another thread. Several other forum menbers made some suggestions. About what does it take on the inside to become a United States Marine.
Is it something we all are born with...?
Is it something we need help bringing out...?
The questions although.........may have been a bit different then what I just posed, did go along those lines. It will be interesting to hear what others feel on this topic........thank you..Semper-Fi

Namvet67
01-31-05, 04:34 PM
This is really a good topic to discuss. I think it can be answered by the parents of Marines as well as those that earned the title. I strongly believe that there is something inside that starts years before the decision is made to become a Marine. Not everyone wants to be a Marine for obvious reasons. I wanted to be a Marine because i had to see if i was as tough as i thought i was. I knew if i could make it i would be the best. I was a fighter and a very competitive kid...maybe even a little arrogant (proud) and certainly high strung. The Marines know how to deal with this type of person and point them in the right direction. Oh yea, i had a direction problem no doubt. If it was easy to be a Marine then we would be called the many, the proud, the Marines!

PFCJon
01-31-05, 04:35 PM
I was born to face challenges. I'm not a Marine, but the biggest reason I want to earn the title is because I want to find out if I have what it takes. Everything I've ever done has been to fight like hell in an effort to be the best. I don't know that I have what it takes to fight on through any hardship, under any conditions. I do believe that I will find/learn/inherit this trait in San Diego this summer. I just want to walk the hard road, is that normal?

Namvet67
01-31-05, 04:38 PM
It's normal if you want to be a Marine DEPJon!

jinelson
01-31-05, 04:45 PM
DEPjon I believe that it is very normal. I wanted to be a Marine when I was fifteen. You know when the aunts and uncles and others would say "and Jimmy what do you want to be when you grow up?" I answered up a Marine because I want to fight with the best. It was not greeted by much enthusiasm by any of my family or friends out here on the left coast. "Dont you know there's a war and you can get killed?" In fact they thought I was crazy. But now in retrospect they know what I know it was the best decision I made in my entire life time. Now it is your turn to take the torch. Make us proud son.

usmc85204
01-31-05, 05:10 PM
I became a marine because of the challange. I stay a marine because of the love of corp instilled in me as a result of seeing that challange through to the end. S F

HardJedi
01-31-05, 05:26 PM
For me? I wanted my life( and death) to count for something. I have always felt a great burden placed on me by the sacrifices of the people of the past, and joining the Marines seemed to me the best place to try and pay back what I felt I owed.

and if you think that sounds strange or funny, I wish you could talk to my mom! even as young as nine years old, I was VERY concerned with ever being able to live up to the people who fought for us in all the wars. What MADE me like this? I don't know. Maybe it was because I was addicted to comic books and super heroes at a young age. Maybe it was because I loved the King Arthur and Robin Hood stories so much. does that make any sense at all?

grayshade
01-31-05, 06:06 PM
Sure does, Jedi, I also was the comic buff. Believing in superheroes and the fact that they did truly exist. When I was eight, I believed that Marines were superheroes that regular people could be. If you didn't have x-ray vision, beams shooting from your eyes, superhuman strength, but who felt like making a heroic stand in this world, the Marines were the human choice. Could I do it, is it as hard as people say, how afraid will I be and will I fail? All human thoughts, all thoughts that many have pondered I'm sure. But it is the fear and the strength in us that helps us overcome, even in the most dire of times. Being afraid to fail is what pushes us beyond a point where some usually would stop. Of course it's hard, anything worth being a part of usually is, otherwise why try? It takes a certain individual that uses all these tools and their own intuition and strengths, to mold themselves into that Marine they see in the mirror. Into that Marine every other kid sees on a poster or on television. Into the next superhero for another child to admire.

LivinSoFree
01-31-05, 07:19 PM
Dang Grayshade... that's motivating... but entirely true. Am I the only one who gets psyched up by the recruiting commercials? (When's the next one coming?!)

Pel
01-31-05, 09:07 PM
my story has been called a tear jerker before... 3 and a half years ago I told myself and my friends that I would join the military, that day was September 11, 2001. September 12, 2001 I decided on the Marine Corps. I have worked constantly since than to push myself always forward towards it.

Pel

HardJedi
01-31-05, 09:12 PM
ummmm thats cool and all but how is that a tear jerker? not ragging on ya, Pel, just asking

jo1753
01-31-05, 09:15 PM
Vietnam was going on and I had herad that two kids from my home town were killed over there. Although these kids were a bit older then I was, I knew them. they both were in my older brothers class. I feel if any one thing turned my head towards the Marine Corps. It was that........Oh I knew before that, if I went in the military it was going to be the Marine Corps.
I just think that was the deciding factor,......when i'd go in...!!!

Like thousands of other kids.........I wanted...no I needed to know if they made a pair of dressblues that fit me.........Or if i'd fit into them........!!

I had my reservations about boot camp........if I could make the cut or not.......But thinking back..........It was when I finally realized if I don't go, and don't try.......and had to live with that for the rest of my live............To me that was 1000 time more horrific to have to face......could I have don't it...or what if.......etc,etc,.....Semper-Fi

Cole11
01-31-05, 09:19 PM
Ill tell you what makes a Marine, Marines come in all shapes, sizes, and types, but we all have some things in common, Patriotism, love of Country, DEVOTION TO THE CORPS, our Corps values, our brotherhood, and knowing, that no matter what we do, where we go, or who we become, we are first and foremost US MARINES! Where do Marines come from? They come from sea to shining sea, around the globe, so to all the Marines out there that are Marine Corps Green with Scarlet and Gold running through their veins, HERES TO HEALTH TO YOU AND TO OUR CORPS, OORAH AND SEMPER FI!

jinelson
01-31-05, 09:38 PM
OORAH Cole11, it was not that long ago you were a poolee brother and my gawd what a transformation has occured! SEMPER FIDELIS you have made this old Marines day! God Bless You, keep it up and you will out rank me, those are words of leadership and well spoken. Well done Pfc, very well done indeed. You are a credit to your Drill Instructors as we all are.

Attention on deck poolees this is a true Marine, follow his example.

Cole11
01-31-05, 09:54 PM
SEMPER FI STAFF SGT.!

jo1753
01-31-05, 11:23 PM
Cole11........thats exactly............what I was hoping for when I started this thread................thank you Marine...Semper-Fi

yellowwing
01-31-05, 11:32 PM
I was arrogant, but not really cocky. I saw what the other services had to offer and I thought, "I can do better."

When I saw the Marine Recruiter, I thought, "Yes, this is it! I'm going to do my part with only the best!"

Pel
02-01-05, 05:54 AM
Hardjedi, Sir. Im not too sure... girls are just an odd race eh?

HardJedi
02-01-05, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Pel
Hardjedi, Sir. Im not too sure... girls are just an odd race eh?

LMAO!

you have NO idea PEl, but you are right. just wait till you MARRY one of em!

KS-USMC
02-01-05, 09:11 AM
Just figured I'd chime in here as of one the "odd raced" individuals :)

I'm not exactly sure if we are born with that Marine desire and instinct but I think there is a definite personality that is drawn to this line of work. I've always been an obsessive compulsive personality...I think that is what causes me to dive head first into whatever I set forth to achieve and not view failure as an option.

I chose the Marines because I want the hardest physical challenge I can get. I respect the Marine Corps for their values, no tolerance rule, and the toughness and discipline they instill in their Marines.

When my recruiter asked me why I chose Marines instead of Army or Air Force this is what I said: "whenever I meet an army member and hear about their boot camp experience, all I hear is tales of how 'it's soooo hard...oh my gosh...it sucked...you may not make it through...I was always tired....etc. etc.' and when I have spoken with Marines about boot camp, I tend to get a concise 'it was tough, I got through it.'"

I think that about says it all :) Oh and I ship out to boot camp Feb 21st!!! I can't wait!

Namvet67
02-01-05, 09:38 AM
KS-USMC...You are about to get your wish...good luck in boot camp and yes it will be tough but it will be more mental than physical and the physical part is hell....Semper Fi ! The Marine was in you all the time!!!

stivo
02-01-05, 09:39 AM
Good Luck In Boot Camp There KC.
Before I went to Boot, my recruiter told me that if I forget everything he told me, just remember one thing. Keep telling youself, IT WILL BEOVER BEFORE YOU KNOW IT. And that is the truth. Before you know it, you will be walking down that parade deck wearing our Blues.
Good Luck Recruit

KS-USMC
02-01-05, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys!!! I appreciate it...the days are closing in on me quickly but I feel mentally and physically prepared for it so I say BRING IT ON! :)

I don't doubt that I will face obsticles throughout this process that I could have never forseen but I'm just looking toward that Eagle, Globe and Anchor and warrior breakfast after the Crucible!! The light at the end of the tunnel :marine:

Sgted
02-01-05, 10:13 AM
My Father (and his brother) were Marines.
Always neat, squared away, proud and disciplined it just stood to reason that, if I were to enter the military, it would be the Marines.
My Dad never pushed me to join. His influence was quiet.
As a young man (teenager) I was witness to the events unfolding in Vietnam each day on the TV newscasts.
Myself and 2 buddies talked about our floundering lives. 2 of us had quit high school and one was headed for trouble with his always breaking the law. Nothing serious, just a rebel.
We all drove to the recruiting office together having made up our minds to join the Marines in spite of our thinking about the war. Vietnam was not much of an issue. At our ages, we were invinceable.
My Father was damn proud. My joining the Marines would result in a much closer bond between he & I.

Where do Marines come from....??.
For me it was my Dad's quiet influence of pride, integrity and Esprit De Corps coupled with the one mindedness of 3 friends.

Namvet67
02-01-05, 10:17 AM
Damn..it must be tough growing up when your Dad is a Marine!

al20852
02-01-05, 10:52 AM
One quality I remember is stubborness. Went through 10 weeks OCS and 6 months basic school. I know it wasn't as difficult as boot camp, but it was hard enough. What kept me from throwing in the towel? After all these years, 28 since OCS, I really believe it was that I was too stubborn to fail. When my DI looked me in the eye and ripped me apart, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of failing, even though that would have been an awfully easy thing to do. Many people did, and the drop out rate both in OCS and boot camp is much higher than in other services.

Most Marines I have known will not admit failure, or defeat, they will fight though any obstacle and try to prevail. Anyone who looks at the history of the Marine Corps has to conclude that failure never was an option. That to me is a quality that is not taught in boot camp or OCS. It is a character trait that you either have or don't, and one that will in large part determine whether you make it through training or wash out.

Namvet67
02-01-05, 11:03 AM
Can't argue with that Captain! "will not admit failure, or defeat, they fight through any obstacle and try to prevail"....good post!

KS-USMC
02-01-05, 11:10 AM
Well said!

The body tends to follow the minds programming so if you program it knowing that failure isn't an option, then the body will follow...you may not always know how it will follow or how you will make it, but the thoughts in your head play a large part in your success or failure.

The goal of the breaking down process seems in part to be that they push you hard enough physically until it has to become mental...and that is when you shine (for those who are meant to be Marines) or fail (for those who aren't).

Namvet67
02-01-05, 11:19 AM
Yea, something like that KS.."push you enough physically until it has to become mental". aka 2nd nature!

al20852
02-01-05, 11:24 AM
Would love to get some input from DI's on this. What do they try to accomplish during boot camp or OCS? Do you try to push trainees hard enough to get the ones who would quit later on when the going gets tough to quit during training. That persopective would be very helpful to this thread.

LivinSoFree
02-01-05, 11:54 AM
Hmm... haven't heard much from Drillinstructor lately... must be picking up some new nasties.

DuckSauce
02-01-05, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Pel
September 11, 2001.

That sealed the deal for me. I was a Freshman in Highschool, sitting in Civics class. We listened to the radio as the second plane hit the WTC and the Pentagon.

I sat there thinking,"Just give me four more years...."

Now I have four months....

Other than the terrorist attacks, I wanted to be the best and I wanted to fight for my country and do something I thought was valuable: serving others. I don't believe there was/is/will ever be any better way than the Marine Corps.

There's just something about the Marine Corps I haven't put my finger on. I believe whatever Marines have found before me, I'll find it myself. Maybe its the brotherhood, or the pride of being our countries finest, or maybe the discipline and courage. It's out there, I'm ready for my chance.

I want it.

jo1753
02-01-05, 04:38 PM
Well put Captian...!!

yellowwing
02-01-05, 06:13 PM
"Getting them to quit"...I don't know the training that Drill Instructors go through to earn their Smokey.

But personally I'd rather have someone quit in bootcamp than when the sh*t hits the fan.

My friend and I walk out of the bar one night of for a smoke break. We see one of our other buddies in an argument with some punk kid. I knew my buddy was too drunk to see that the kid had a small shank held low by his side.

I immediately step up into the kid's face and start talking stern and glaring, "Leave US alone!" The kid backed off, but what ****ed me off was that my other 'buddy' had back away and just watched. Chickensh*t!

Namvet67
02-02-05, 01:31 PM
The difference there, yellowwing, is that a Marine can't walk away from a situation like that...it's like automatic pilot when a dangerous event jumps out in front of you...you react, you size up the situation and you do something about it...all in a matter of seconds! Your other "buddy" wasn't trained to think like that! You are right about the quitting part! Semper Fi

yellowwing
02-02-05, 03:02 PM
Maybe I should stay away from the bars! All these little exciting eposides I get into always seem to happen outside a bar. :banana:

Seriously though, I really can't put my finger on exactly what part of our training helps us react.

Close order drill, obstacle course, rifle range, ICT. Where along they did this enter our lifeblood?

HardJedi
02-02-05, 03:28 PM
Yellowing, it enetered for most of us, in my opinion, before boot camp. it's part of what those of us who joined, did so because of. a need to help. to protect. to right wrongs. The Marine Corps just gives us the tools to do those things without getting ourselves KILLED. Thats just what I THINK of course.

yellowwing
02-02-05, 07:16 PM
Well hell HardJedi! Them classes must be doing some good. That explanation makes the best sense I've heard. ;)

All the above training listed gave me the confidence and experience to instantly do what was already instinctly there.

Thanks Bro'!

HardJedi
02-02-05, 10:34 PM
DE Nada, mi compadre!

Osotogary
02-03-05, 07:02 AM
Yellowwing-
Maybe you were a Marine before you became a Marine? Perhaps, in another way, you were molded into someone you aleady were. I don't know if I am explaining it correctly. It's like as if you were from a warrior culture of the past and now placed in another warrior culture. Make sense?

HardJedi
02-03-05, 07:18 AM
thats what I SAID ostogary, you just put it prettier! LOL

lprkn
02-03-05, 01:12 PM
There will always be hard men who are willing to do hard things for the people and ideals that they cherish. They may end up in different walks of life, but they are still hard men, warriors.

DuckSauce
02-04-05, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by lprkn
There will always be hard men who are willing to do hard things for the people and ideals that they cherish. They may end up in different walks of life, but they are still hard men, warriors.

Well put PFC.

The bond of freedom brings those hard men, those warriors, together.

I haven't been there myself obviously, but I think people step it up when everything is hanging on the line, by a thread.

Whether its pushing yourself to score the Game Winning Basket(been there) or protecting your outnumbered fireteam (haven't been there), when its do or die, those hard men do it.

I can't wait to see how far the Marine Corps will train me to push myself.

So to throw another light at it...

Is becoming a Marine more mentally or physically challenging?

Thank you Marines and poolees,
Brandon

yellowwing
02-05-05, 12:37 AM
Is becoming a Marine more mentally or physically challenging?
YES

To tell you the truth we don't truly know you. As in what kind of physical shape you are in, or how deep your character runs. Your high school best friend may not even truly know.

So, personally, I can't give you an either or answer.

Try to start another thread here in the poolee hall just for that question!

HardJedi
02-05-05, 07:20 AM
Yellowwing is right. there is no way to answer that question. Not really. I was in bad shape( physically) going into boot, but had been on my own for 4 years, and ididn't smoke, drink, or have a girlfriend, so I had NOTHING to miss while I was at boot, excpet for music, so MENTALLY for me, it was no big deal . Physically it was pretty tough.

At the saem time there were recruits withs wives and kids, and who smoked and all that and it was tough for them to emotionally cope.

see?

paul g fleming
02-05-05, 12:18 PM
the korea war was going on so went

jo1753
02-05-05, 12:54 PM
I suppose looking at the Marine Corps history may tell alot about Where we all come from..........At no time in the Corps Proud and very colorful . 230 year history, has there been a draft. We can't say the same for other branches of the military,.........can we...?

I feel we " The Marines " all have one thing on common...........We're all do-ers

While other branches are still trying to figuer out things....We choose to take up the rolls of loyal pit-bull. When the Marines are stepping over bodies. Other military branches still don't know whether to S*it or go blind...!!!...Semper-Fi

HardJedi
02-05-05, 12:58 PM
huh. I thought some people got drafted into the Marines during the Vietnam war. fuess I mis-remembered

jo1753
02-05-05, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
huh. I thought some people got drafted into the Marines during the Vietnam war. fuess I mis-remembered

HardJedi...............If they did..............it's the first i've ever heard anything about it........maybe someone else can square my young A** away any tell us for sure.......Semper-Fi

shandawg6
02-05-05, 02:38 PM
My answer is simple. Both of my parents were Marines(in & out before i was born), who met at the Ball, so it's in my blood-really....The first time i knew it would happen was when I found their uniforms in their closet(with the dry cleaners wrap still on them)...I KNEW it would happen when the Marine Barracks got hit in Beirut...think I was 12, but I knew.....

LivinSoFree
02-05-05, 03:54 PM
The Marine Corps participated in the draft on only one occasion: during the Vietnam War. Otherwise, we have always been an all-volunteer force.

jo1753
02-05-05, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by LivinSoFree
The Marine Corps participated in the draft on only one occasion: during the Vietnam War. Otherwise, we have always been an all-volunteer force.

Hmmmm I was there............guess I slept thru that...Hell who knows maybe i'm still asleep..........Somebody slap me and wake me up...LOL......Semper-Fi

al20852
02-07-05, 08:43 AM
There were draftees into the Marines during Viet Nam. I was drafted into the Army during Viet Nam, and then volunteered into the Marines later on in 1977. When I went for my induction physical in 1971, those of us who passed muster were put in a room and were administered the oath of office. While most people were allocated to the Army, some were sent to the Marines. Thus I know from firsthand experience that there were draftees into the Marines.