PDA

View Full Version : Are DIs allowed to use profanities during recruit training?

kungfu_rider
01-30-05, 10:45 PM
I've been reading a lot of books about the Marine Corps boot camp. Most say that there is a policy that DIs are not allow to use profanities during recruit training. But this last book that I'm about to finish (KEEPING FAITH: A Father-Son Story About Love & the USMC, by Frank & Cpl John Schaeffer) doesn't indicate that.

The way Cpl Schaeffer describes his experiences in boot camp, there are many many instances when the DI and Senior DI uses the words f---, s---, etc. I know one of the book says that DI sometimes let it slip accidently. But from the way the book is describing, it sure doesn't seem like accidents. The event in the book happened in 1999. I heard that the no-profanity from DI policy was instilled all the way back in the 1040s. I was just wondering about this...

The other book I read was ENTERING THE CRUCIBLE: Making Marines for the 21st Century, by James Woulfe. What are some other books that would be helpful in regards to recruit training and the preparation of it?

SSgtOfMarines
01-30-05, 10:56 PM
Technically, no. Realistically, yes.

ramy
01-31-05, 12:30 AM
kungfu_rider , grab yourself a copy of Making the Corps by Thomas E Ricks. Good Book. You can find it at amazon.com

jo1753
01-31-05, 01:28 AM
wow...........you brought up a real good topic.
First of all.....if your asking simple because you want to try and figure out just how much virbal abuse you'll have to withstand during boot camp. Don't worry about it............Get yourself in a frame of mind that tells you, These people are doing their jobs.
I've never met a Drill instructor who would rather chew A** then focus on the training of the whole platoon.
Don't mis read what I'm saying.......They sure as He** will square someone butt away in a heart beat. And if that someone is you. Just look straight forward, keep your mouth closed unless they tell you to speak. And most of all...learn what they're saying regardless what tone they take.
When I went thru..........almost 35 years ago...........almost anything would go.............I saw recruits drug into the drill instructoes house and beaten. Was it suppose to have happened even back then............i'd doubt it..!!!........But it did. One other thing that dawned on my after boot camp was. Once a Drill instructor felt he was wasting his time on someone. They wouldn't yel and scream at them. They would get rid of them.............But it wasn't that quick or simple. Before that took place usually it meant sending a private to the motivation platoon a couple time. And if that didn't work he probably wouldn't waste much more breath or time. poolee this is just a heads-up your question in some ways is infact warrented.
All the people on the Drill field are good hard working Marines. If you're only putting out 65% and they feel you can put out 2% more they will get it out of you............WHY...? Not for them for you...!!! I remember running a 3 mile run and this one recruit was telling our senior...........The private can't do any more. He said that all during the last mile.........right up to the finish The Senoir Drill instructor didn't let up a bit on him. He reminded him " If you have the breath to cry like a baby. I can't I can't.then you better not fall out, you have it you just don't know it maggot" You better not fall out of my ranks, We'll have to go to sick-bay right after this, Because they will have to surgically remove my boot from your A**...........Needless to say the recruit did make his run and it was a motivator for the whole platoon. Sorry if i'm being so long winded.........But it these topics i've always been interested in. Thanks for asking.....Hope this helps......Semper-Fi

kungfu_rider
01-31-05, 02:41 AM
I read in INTO THE CRUCIBLE (that's the correct title) that DIs try not to curse because they want to "throw the recruits off guard" (putting them in an unfamiliar & possibly uncomfortable situation) since they come from a generation where the f- and s-words are used as frequently as commas in a teenagers sentence. When I read that, I was thinking like, "Awesome! I'm not used to swears (despite hearing it all the time since I can remember)." I guess it's too bad for me. But I think I'll be able to handle the verbal abuse. Especially since I know that their job is to TRY to "break me down." I'll just have to take up the challenge of demonstrating to them that I can't be broken down that easily...

Lucky for me, I found Making the Corps in my public library catalog--which I'm going to pick up later this week! The copyright date (1995) seem kind of outdated (as compared to Keeping Faith (2002). But I'll read whatever books about Marine recruit training I get lay my nasty civilian hands on!!

I finished reading Keeping Faith just then. Finished all 270 pages in three days (I have not finish reading a book of this size this quick in a long time). I learned a lot from it. I especially found Cpl Schaeffer's account of his experiences as a recruit and a Marine inspiring, as well as funny (his constant flaming of the other military branches, especially the Army).

Oh by the way, how do you all get that Chevron beside your user's name? I want one that says "Poolee" beside mine!!

yellowwing
01-31-05, 03:10 AM
Great post, jo1753!

Hey kungfu, its sounds like you've doing quite a bit of reading. Step back away from the minutia and just take look at who the United States Marines are.

Your Drill Instructors will train you to become one of us. That is their job. You job will be to learn and be trained. Then maybe you can be one of us. Only then will you truly know who we really are!

You know Our History, and you know training won't be easy. Just remeber to put those books down now and then, and get some PT in. You'll need it! ;)

Master Sephiroth
01-31-05, 04:52 AM
Nothing is done by the book in Boot Camp. I got a lot of info form a Marine named Captain Grose who has website. His Drill Instructors didn't curse much.

Sgtj
01-31-05, 05:26 AM
Of course Drill Instructors don't F*&^*( curse, this is the M*(^&*^ F*(*UY(& Marine Corps, there will be no *(&* damn cursing going on.

After receiving, and when training day one begins, they actually like to take recruites and cuddle with them, they become your best friend, sometimes they even take you out and you walk on the sand together, where you can tell them your problems, and you won't even believe it, but they listen well. Just tell them how you really feel. THEY WILL HELP YOU!

Honestly though, I think without some of the cursing, Bootcamp wouldn't have been as fun. Just my opinion though.

HardJedi
01-31-05, 06:44 AM
Here is my boot camp expireience with cursing

We we TOLD that the DI'S were not supposed to swear at us. On the first day we were dropped to our platoon, the Senior at us all in the class room and went over HIS rules. He asked if anyone in the Platoon was offended by swearing. One recruit raised his hand, and said " I am sir." well, the Senior said, " well mr. individual, I am F##king sorry to hear that, but we cuss around here, get used to it" then he got a lesson on not reffereing to himself as I.

Look, I NEVER got a SINGLE class on ANYTHING in the Marine Corps without alot of swearing taking place. But you don't even notice it. Heck, they way things were in the units I was in we swore so much, that I didn't even notice how much I swore untill I cam home and people would point it out, and I would say, " well SH#T! I'm F@@cking sorry" at which point they would tell me I had done it again. ( I once again did not realize I had done it. Currsing became so second nature, it took me awhile to break the habbit)

LivinSoFree
01-31-05, 07:25 AM
It's always obvious when I come back from drill, as every other word out of my mouth offends somebody... there just ain't no such thing as being politically correct in the Corps.

gwladgarwr
01-31-05, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by ramy
kungfu_rider , grab yourself a copy of Making the Corps by Thomas E Ricks. Good Book. You can find it at amazon.com

Better yet, find a used bookstore and look in the military or history section - I find used copies for $3-$4 all the time. Great book and a must for all DEPPers and recruits. I got to meet the author several times - very nice man who has great insight into the workings of the Marine Corps.

Got to meet Mr. Schaeffer (the father) as well. He's learned a lot from his son's Marine Corps experience.

cajunguy
01-31-05, 07:50 AM
Rider

If you can get a copy of Full Metal Jacket, watch how Gunny Ermey "motivates" his platoon through about the first half of the movie. The good Gunny never curses in the movie. :D

That should answer your question. The fact that he took Pvt. Pyle, a disgusting fatbody (his words, not mine), and made a Marine out of him should attest to the motivation that is instilled in recruits.

And if you aren't aware, the Gunny knew what he was doing in the movie. He was a Drill Instructor before he got out of the Corps.

Ooooo Rah. Now THAT motivates me.

Semper Fi. (Oh and enjoy the movie.)

mrbsox
01-31-05, 07:51 AM
To some, cursing is like a 'rite of passage' into a mans (womans) world. And as such it makes them FEEL grown up.

Don't confuse cursing, with 'colorful metaphores' that are meant to reinforce a subject. Somethings just stick in your BHG better if they are 'colorful' !!

'Would you get yourself into step with the rest of the platoon, so you can at least LOOK like your all doing the same thing ??

OR

IF YOU DON'T *&^$@ START MARCHING LIKE THE REST OF THE PLATOON I'M GONNA f&*^%# KICK YOUR A$$ SO HARD YOU'LL HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR COVER TO ^%$!@ SH!T

Verbal reinforcement :banana:

perfectcircle
01-31-05, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by mrbsox
Verbal reinforcement :banana:

exactly. if you can't put up with a few dirty words than you got a lot head of you!

USMC-FO
01-31-05, 09:40 AM
"Rider"....

"Keeping Faith" and "Making the Corp" are, I think, the two best books out there. FMJ--the film--particularly the first have of the film WAS my experience at PI in the 60's....cept no one shot our DI.....

Now a comment....You're WAY overthinking things here. given this post and your previous post I am getting the sense you are very sensitive and, frankly, quite timid and perhaps more than a bit fearful. It is great to want to join our fraterity but I have to tell you, and I am sure the others here will too, this will be the most difficult thing you have ever done in your life. You will be more scared than you can imagine. There will be times when you are convinced you have stepped into the very gates of hell....Make it through and you will never forget the journey and you will always have friends no matter where you go...but you need to suck it up more than I am seeing in your writing.

Good luck !

Namvet67
01-31-05, 09:55 AM
Rider...if you are concerned about verbal abuse in boot camp then you may not be cut out to be a Marine. Verbal abuse happens and it is necessary to break you down and get the civilian out of you. As USMC-FO said..you will feel like you stepped into the gates of hell...because it is hell and it's not a place for little girls or boys. Think about it and good luck!

hoytarcher45
01-31-05, 11:26 AM
"Some of these other motherf***in godd*** drill instructors think that i have a f***in godd*** problem with curseing. But f***in...do you all really give a f***?"

NO SIR!

"I didnt f***in think so. That just how we f***in handle our godd*** motherf***in business in this platoon. And s***, we are the best mother f***in platoon in this company, so Im not too motherf***in godd*** worried about it."

-SDI SSgt Lytle
3rd BN I CO PLT 3077
Honor Platoon

Namvet67
01-31-05, 11:38 AM
LMAO...hoytarcher45!!! good post!

cajunguy
01-31-05, 11:50 AM
hoytarcher45

When I read your post, I was having MAJOR flashbacks.

I could see GySgt Bill Moxley (Honor Platoon 215, San Diego/ 1960) in my face, and hear those words coming out of his pie hole like it was yesterday.

DAMN - now I gotta go calm back down. :o

Namvet67
01-31-05, 12:11 PM
Rider...oh i forgot to tell you...you may be subject to a little physical abuse in addition to the ****ing verbal abuse! But...that is ONLY if you ****up! the point i am trying to make here is that the Drill Instructors have to create a enviornment that you will remember when you get into a combat situation! Then when the **** hits the fan you will be able to fall back on those tuff times to help you and your buddies stay alive. Adversity builds character!!!!

USMC-FO
01-31-05, 01:01 PM
J***us F#*King Chr*#t !!! You GD F*#king A-holes are gonna scare the chit outta this guy !!! How the F*#k do you expect him to handle this let alone F#*King think of our use of the English language ? Now you're tellin him he may also get the livin chit kicked outta his a#s !!

Sad .....

CAR
01-31-05, 01:45 PM
Don't worry so much about the "word" the DI's use to get your attention. The way they SAY it gets the message across. They can call you a "Boob" and you'll still feel as if they called you "the dumbest Mudder Focker on God's green earth"

Smile and take your licks.

Namvet67
01-31-05, 01:51 PM
Good point CAR....they do have a special way of saying it!

jo1753
01-31-05, 05:05 PM
H*LL if he's reading all these posts..........he shouldn't need to go buy books..........LOL but he migh need glasses

hoytarcher45
01-31-05, 05:43 PM
A lot of times our kill hat would say "****in" instead of "f***in". I had never heard anyone say that before, but like CAR said its not the words but the way they say it.

"Thats some motivating trash, ya understand that?"

Good luck Poolees

hoytarcher45
01-31-05, 05:44 PM
"P-I-S-S-I-N" instead of "F***in"

HardJedi
01-31-05, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by hoytarcher45
"Thats some motivating trash, ya understand that?"

LMAO! how many HUNDREDS of times did i hear THAT frickin line every day at Boot? :D

LivinSoFree
01-31-05, 05:52 PM
LOL... "My daggone motivated period of instruction..."

Christ, I'm STILL trying to get out of that habit :marine:

USMC-FO
02-01-05, 07:20 PM
".....I was glad when he was shot."

Easy to see why you're not a Marine..... I think many of us would view your remark as out of line.

yellowwing
02-01-05, 07:28 PM
I second that! :mad:

Wyoming
02-01-05, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by BoazNaiman

Ah, but one must not forget that Pyle was driven to insanity. :( Funny as Hartman was, I could honestly say that I was glad when he was shot.

*******!

HardJedi
02-01-05, 08:24 PM
think any support you had on this site just got thrown out the window, Boaz.

yellowwing
02-01-05, 08:57 PM
Boaz-Remember what Hartman said right after, "You will not laugh, you will not cry!"

He said, "You will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"

Gunny Hartman was giving the maggot his Oath and Committment that he was going to do his job to train him.

And like many Marines, he died doing his job. That is just part of what you do not understand!

AshleyMS
02-01-05, 09:33 PM
I agree with USMC-FO, it is out of line and its kinda disrespectful. Like someone else said on here, he died doing what he was trained to do. Next time, I would be sure to think **** through before you post on a Marine Website....just my opinion!

Master Sephiroth
02-01-05, 10:03 PM
You're right. I was out of line to say that. I thought Kubrick exaggerated the Drill Instructor personality. I'm sorry, but Kubrick did not portray him in a good light which led me to not like him, as opposed to a documentry which inspired me to talk to a recruiter called "Making Marines'. It showed a Drill Instructor in one scene telling off a recruit for scratching, but it was nothing like Hartman. That is what led me to believe that Stanley Kubrick did not make a believable character. I guess only a Marine can see what I stupidly missed.

HardJedi
02-01-05, 10:06 PM
hey, hartman is closer to the truth I SAW than the one on "making Marines"

Master Sephiroth
02-01-05, 10:07 PM
Well...you are a Corporal. You've been through training. I haven't

greensideout
02-01-05, 10:07 PM
I don't think that Boaz lives here anymore.

He must have run into a moderator and got thumped.

After reading his profile, I could see that he is a zero.

The dumb kid never gave himself a chance to learn.

I kind'a fell bad for him---oh well, it was a really stupid remark!

HardJedi
02-01-05, 10:10 PM
umm greenside? he just posted right above you LOL

greensideout
02-01-05, 10:12 PM
lol---saw that as I posted. His comment? I thought it was gone as well as him.

cajunguy
02-01-05, 10:22 PM
Boaz

I posted earlier (I think in this thread) that R. Lee Ermey played an out freakin' standing Drill Instructor in FMJ. And he didn't need to rehearse for the part because he WAS a real-life Drill Instructor.

In fact he reminds me of my SDI when I was a boot. About the same size, same attitude, same ten-foot tall smokey bear cover. Damn did that man have an attitude !!

And I would add that as much as I hated that little man at the time, in retrospect, hindsight, and with the wisdom of age, I have more respect for him than I ever thought I could have for any man.

(A belated "Thanks" to GySgt Bill Moxley, my Senior DI from 1960.)

greensideout
02-01-05, 10:32 PM
You speek good english Cajun! LOL

I was in boot at SD in '60 as well. Aug thru Nov.

Master Sephiroth
02-01-05, 10:32 PM
I'm not gonna try to justify myself, sirs. What I said was completely ignorant and stupid. Take it from a civilian's point of view and you'd see why I thought that even though I was wrong. It took a tongue lashing from Vietnam vets to make me realise I had the wrong impression.

greensideout
02-01-05, 10:33 PM
Who are you talking to Boaz? Wondering?

Master Sephiroth
02-01-05, 10:35 PM
The ones who pointed out mystupidity

greensideout
02-01-05, 10:36 PM
Ok--

greensideout
02-01-05, 10:40 PM
:idea:

cajunguy
02-01-05, 10:42 PM
Green,

I was just a little bit in front of you. (Feb. thru April)

Honor platoon 215. SDI GySgt Bill Moxley, Jr. DI's Sgt. Jim Butler and Sgt. Jim Leverton.

The two juniors were still in the old rank structure, both Sgt. E-4's. (No crossed rifles) They both reverted to E-4 Corporals after they finished our series and left MCRD.

Damn, there I go telling my age again.

greensideout
02-01-05, 10:49 PM
I saw the same rank change with one of my Jr DI's.

You had more time in the chow line then I had in the Corps back then---lol.

Semper Fi

HardJedi
02-01-05, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by cajunguy
Damn, there I go telling my age again. Hey Cajun, better to be an OLD Marine, than the alternative ;)

AshleyMS
02-01-05, 10:58 PM
Well we werent pointing out any stupidity, we were just posting that it was an out of line comment. I still think I would have rather had him then my D.Is....women....think about it....lol

HardJedi
02-01-05, 10:59 PM
OH? get a little LONLEY down there at the Island did ya Ahsley? LMAO!

yellowwing
02-01-05, 11:04 PM
Oh I don't think AshleyMS was thinking that!

I rememeber some of the worst beratings from different girlfriends. I can't image something like that for three straight months! :eek:

cajunguy
02-01-05, 11:12 PM
Green

As much as I felt (in 1960) that I NEVER wanted to see that damned grinder again as long as I lived, twenty five years later I did have the honor of returning to watch my son graduate.

As much pride as I felt on my own graduation, there is nothing that can compare with seeing my son earn the Title on the very same spot.

I'm not ashamed to admit that this old Jarhead's eyeballs were sweating somewhat profusely that day.

It was a truly awesome feeling.

(FWIW, just had to share that.)

Semper Fi.

cajunguy
02-01-05, 11:14 PM
Jedi, you do make a good point there. LOL

MillRatUSMC
02-01-05, 11:38 PM
Going back to what was placed here;

Are DIs allowed to use profanities during recruit training?

unquote

First off the bat, the correct name, is "Drill Insructors", if and when you go to boot camp, best not address them my initials.

About profanities during recruit training...all boot camp is, a first step, some make it and some fail.
What we're facing in Iraq, is a whole lot worst than a few profanities.
Down the line, will other Marines curse?
Its a way of life for some, other will stay away from cursing.

If we answer "NO its not proper." what will you say to your Drill Instructors?
That some Marines said it was "Not proper".
You might get in a world of hurts for saying that.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

greensideout
02-01-05, 11:48 PM
Cajun, glad you did share that. With you the Corps lives on from father to son and that is great!

I raised three girls---none interested in the military so I didn't get to pass the torch as you did but they all turned out wonderfully well!

kungfu_rider
02-01-05, 11:53 PM
You don't expect me to type the words out EVERY TIME do you? And it stands for drill instructor, not "Drill Insructors." And yes, everyone knows that you don't address DIs like that. It's obvious.

Anyway, back onto the topic. My concern is that I might pick up the habit and start frequently using profanities after boot camp. But regardless, I'm going anyway. If earning the title Marine means to have to suffer through verbal and physical abuse I'd gladly submit myself to it!

MarineCorps2004
02-01-05, 11:58 PM
kung fu take it from a Marine who was in boot camp just a little bit ago every book you've read on Marine boot camp wont do you a damn thing because when you get there you wont know what the f#*% hit you because they will be yelling at you cursing at you and say anything they want because the whole point is to break you down and trust me the will break that pussy of a civilian in you down and build you up a Marine with out you even knowing it and come graduation you'll be a U.S. Marine the badest mother f#%*ers on the planet and if some how you dont get broken down in boot camp then you just wasted the DI's time the Marines time and money and your own time.

Good luck!

Semper Fi Do or Die!

OOOHHHRRRAAAHHH

MillRatUSMC
02-02-05, 12:41 AM
Yes, we expect you to spell out those words, laziness or complaceny leads to death on the battlefield. <br />
Best get used to doing things the hard way, there's no short-cut in common courtsey. <br />
Its just...

lprkn
02-02-05, 04:44 PM
For being a stupid topic, this one sure has a lot of pages. Yes, they will call you many bad names at boot camp. No, they're not supposed to. Get over it.

mrbsox
02-02-05, 05:01 PM
Some of the stuff I was called.... made me GLAD to be a maggot !!
LOL :banana:

yellowwing
02-02-05, 07:31 PM
I think it was near the end of First Phase that words "Oh, you want to be an Individual!" stung the most!

With that damning phrase, no swear words were needed to be motivated to reach deeper inside for one more ounce of dedication.

hoytarcher45
02-02-05, 07:47 PM
Did any of you Marines ever experiance name calling or nicknames by your drill instructors? This is probably a bigger "no no" then cursing, but it still happened in my platoon.

Recruit Zaganylo. Turned to Recruit Zagamayo. Then to Recruit Zagamayonaize. Then our DI just started calling him Mayonaize. We all thought it was funny as ****, and so did Recruit Zagamayonaize.

I myself have the curse of the common last name. There was me, Recruit John R. Miller, and then there was Recruit Jonnathan Marr Miller. I dont know how many times I heard "Not you, your f***in brother" or "Not you, the other Miller".

Now that Im at my MOS school, there are three Millers. Easy enough. I am Miller Lite. There is also Miller Time and MGD. Even our Gunny calls us that. Perfect example of how to adapt and overcome. Semper Fi Marines.

fulmetaljackass
02-02-05, 08:57 PM
We had one recruit in the platoon by the name of Villagrin (latin pronunciation, VEE-yugh-gran). One of the drill instructors took to calling him Recruit Vaginal.

criggleman
02-02-05, 09:40 PM
kungfu_rider,

If you can't handle being cussed out by Drill Instructors not DI's ( we are not the Army), wait 'till Osama and his a**hole buddies start shooting at you. I don't think you'll have time to cry to mommy. BE A MAN, not a GIRLIE MAN. Marines have been dishing out sh*t for over two hundred years, some of us like it that way. Proud to be a MEAN F**KING MARINE.

Sgtj
02-02-05, 09:59 PM
Greensideout... My biggest fear is having all GIRLS... I think ya'll know why.. (married a hot little southern girl). To make matters worse...Every birth in her mothers side of the family has been girls that is from 4 different sets of parents... ALL HAVING NOTHING BUT GIRLS, 12 girls to be exact - including my wife.... When I go to the family events being the only guy of this generation, I start to get the shakes. I am being for real.. If I have a girl.. I am done... I will build a sand pit in my back yard and spend the rest of my life making my own damn sugar cookies. Maybe I should just play it safe and x out the thought of producing little ones and get a dog...A BOY DOG!

Sgtj
02-02-05, 10:00 PM
PS.. I know that got of SUBJECT.. but just to make up.. I really don't give a F(*&*&!!!! Marines don't swear.. ha ha ha ah ah ah aha ha ha ah aha ha ha!

Cheezballz
02-02-05, 10:26 PM
O.k first of all whoever thinks or says Drill Instructors don't curse i got one thing to say. HA!

cajunguy
02-02-05, 10:51 PM
OK, let's get this straight for once and for all.

DRILL INSTRUCTORS NEVER CURSE OR USE DEMEANING OR ANY TYPE OF DEROGATORY LANGUAGE, EVER IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM !!! EVER !!!

They just - - - uhhh - - - they - - - well they might - - - uhhh - - - lean toward - - - uhhhh - - - simply - - - hmmmm . . . . . .

Oh, f*ckit. Never freakin' mind. AS YOU WERE, MARINES. CARRY THE SH*T ON, DAMMIT. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/cajunguy/teehee.gif

drillinstructor
02-03-05, 03:05 PM
amazing....so far from the truth but some hit the mark...anyone want an SOP Answer

Swearing is discouraged according to the SOP..That means we can cuss..............and yes my potty mouth is worse since being around dumb recruits....ahhh but graduating day they are all my brothers

sm@@thrider
02-03-05, 04:11 PM
hey if you can't hang with a few non dictionary words then you shouldn'e be joining the f#$%*NG Marines, stop letting your moms ruin it! when I came in it was different and now you have to be so nice to a recriut or do things in hiding and they get away with alot. go back to the old times when you said to a recruit to move he flew.

Fred Pfeiffer
02-03-05, 04:47 PM
Does anyone remember the 1957 movie called "The D.I." starring Jack Webb of "Dragnet" fame? I have not seen it in years, but I remember that it was well done and I believe fairly accurate. Of course, since it was a 1950's era movie there is no profanity in it.

I believe that Webb himself produced, directed and starred in the movie and it was made in response to the incident in 1956 at Parris Island where a Drill Instructor had six recruits drown while crossing a tidal area during an unauthorized night-time "disciplinary" march.

That incident changed the entire nature of Marine Corps boot camp.

Prior to that time was the "Old Corps".

For a good reference on the 1956 Parris Island events see:

"A Brief History Of THE MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT, PARRIS ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA"

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmchist/parris.txt

This document was last revised in 1962, but is good history.

Semper Fidelis,
Fred

CrazyBrave83
02-03-05, 11:37 PM
Yes, they swear, often times more than one could think possible in a sentence.

The truth of it all is that it takes a complete backseat to other methods they use. The swearing becomes so expected that it's part of the actual sentence structure they use...

Hell, my recruiter swore like no tomorrow!

"Sullivan, f***in' get the f***in' posters and stickers for these new f***in' recruits."

Down at MCRD, the Drill Instructors take that style of wanton cursing, but you'll note that they often make up words or modify them to SOUND like the real article.

Or they'll just throw 'daggone' in a lot.

The worst thing (as mentioned by one Marine) they do is nicknames. There was a Rct. Carfagno in EHP with me. Needless to say that got out of hand REAL fast. Plenty of 'Don't ask don't tell' jabs.

Kungfu, my advice to you is just go down there with a level head and a goal in mind...stay healthy, and you'll be okay.