PDA

View Full Version : Would recruiter respect my privacy while...

kungfu_rider
01-29-05, 11:24 PM
Hi, I'm new here.

I've been interested in joining the military since I was little, but never had the guts to tell anyone or let anybody know due to being ridiculed by family and relatives.

When I was in the 6th grade (12 years old) while watching TV at late night by myself, I saw a recruiting commercial for the Marine Corps (with the 1-800-MARINES at the bottom of the screen). I thought it was part of the Navy or something (because of the word "marine") at first. However, I was mostly facinated by their awesome-looking uniform and the fact that the guy in the commercial wielded a sword.

I got a part time job in 10th grade (17 years old), and this 19 year-old manager was talking about going into the Army because she wants to get a job that's better than a fast-food restuarant like where she was at that time, and also because she has a baby. She made a comment that she'd never join the Marine because if war broke out, the Marines would be the first to be out on the battle field. After hearing that, I sort of steered away from the idea of being part of the Marines, but I was still interested in the Armed Forces.

I grew up in a broken family. My father died when I was 8, leaving mom to take care of my older brother and myself in amisd of juggling three jobs. Our life was a constant struggle. My brother throughout our childhood has been very abusive towards me. His abuse, my poor mom's unintentional negligence, and the fact that I didn't have any positive male role-model to look up to left me very insecured and self-conscience with low self-esteem. I was lonely and wasn't able to make any friends.

Not being able to withstand the emotional torment, I ultimately moved out on my own (was 20 at that time), choosing to live on my own rather than being a prisoner of my household. I have severed all connection with my family. I am about to turn 22 in two days. I don't know how my interest in joining the Marines got reignited. It was November 2004, I remember. I was thinking, "Now that my family is out of the way, it's the perfect chance for me to try to get into the Marines!"

Ok, sorry for my long story. Anyway, here is the deal. I'm interested in contacting my local recruiter. But I sort of want to keep this matter among the Corps, God, and myself. I live with two atheist liberal (I, myself, am a conservative) roommates--they're not really my friends who party, drink, and smoke weed all the time (as a matter of fact, while I'm sitting in my room typing this, they're out in the living room partying with loud music and three other guys + one live-in). If I contact them, do you think they would honor my request to not contact me through phone & mail and just have ME contact them. Seem kinda awkward, but I'm very concern about anybody knowing my plan.

Any comments or suggestions would be strongly appreciated!

Cole11
01-29-05, 11:40 PM
I dont see why that would be a problem, Good Luck with your quest and if you have any questions, lemme know, Semper Fi

hrscowboy
01-30-05, 12:46 AM
WTF are you afraid your roommates will badger you, come on get a life here. You stated they are not your friends so why do you give a rats behind what they think or what you do. You want to be one of the best there is?? Then follow your dream young man and dont give a rats behind what your roommates think or say its your life not theres. Marines think as team and a team only and we look out for our own thats the bottom line. You want to be a part of my team then step up to the plate and take the test and forget what your so called friends think or say to you. Becoming a Marine is not going to be a walk in the park young man your going to put out blood sweat and tears to earn the title, but i can tell you this when you earn that title you will look back and say to yourself Why did you wait so long... enuff said.

kungfu_rider
01-30-05, 02:06 AM
I'm afraid that if people know about it, and if I don't make the cut (or if I'm not even qualify to enlist... for whatever reason), I'll be the subject for disappointment and ridicule.

My roommates aren't exactly my friends. I just room with them. I needed a shelter to stay, they needed someone to split the rent with. That's how I ended up with them.

I never graduated from my high school (was short on four credits) and took four more credits through corresponding high school program. I just completed my last course, and am basically a high school graduate (even though I started college already). I'm not too clear about the Marine Corps stand about home-schooled high school grads, but I just hope to finish this semester in college so I can get that 15 credits. After that, I should be okay.

There's no time to whine. Time to get to work! Thanks for the feedback!

hrscowboy
01-30-05, 02:30 AM
home schooled my son was home schooled and hes in the Marine Corps there is no reason why you cant as long as you have that piece of paper that says you did it. The only way your going to find out if you qualify is to go to a recruiter with your papers in hand and talk with him young man thats the only way.

Pel
01-30-05, 05:25 AM
hrscowboy, Sir. Liberal room mates remember? ahahahhahahaha thats answer enough.

USMC-FO
01-30-05, 06:42 AM
I agree with hrscowboy...screw the room mates and your family. You're 22, I think you said, so you can certainly make your own decisons. You seem a mite timid--given what you have written--but the only way you can grow is to tell others to F off, get off your ass, suck it up and go to the recuruiter and take the next step . You'll never know what is around the corner unless you take it upon yourself to look around.

TRLewis
01-30-05, 07:25 AM
I have no clue what the question was.

jo_beth
01-30-05, 08:17 AM
go for it!

A lot more positive influences in Corps.

You aint got nothing to lose, cept maybe long hair, unless yer female.

:banana:

jo1753
01-30-05, 09:09 AM
WoW................It's sounds like your more concerned about all these " WHAT IF's " Then you are of making the grade.

Just get OFF.........your civilian A** and take your delicate lil self down to the armed forces office..............Then you'll know.

Because i'll be straight forward with you..!!!...........You may not like the way I'm speaking to you.........BUT...if you can't handle or your having trouble with what you mentioned............the Drill Instructors are going to eat you alive....!!!

The Drill team are ALL business...........I can't stress that enough.
And if your having problems with who might find out, This or that. Or what if I don't make it.....If your having a real confidence issues now..............WTF are you going to do when you get into boot camp and your looking a the confidence course straight in the face. It will be a little to late to just stand there and ask yourself..............geeee can I do this, especially when you'll have three Drill instructors screaming in your ears.....!!! By the way the confidence course.....didn't get it's name by mistake...!!!

I feel what you need to do now is...........take whatever time you need to figure out if this is going to be the right decision for YOU. If that means going into the recruiters office and speaking to them, So be it........Then take that DATA and process it any way you have to . Sort thru it, etc,etc, ........Then and only then make the decision that will best fit into your life....God's spead.....Semper-Fi

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 03:03 AM
I was in a situation like yours but one day a man in dress blues came by and rescued me and since then I have never looked back. There are two types of people in the world.; "Marines and those that wish they were Marines! Who care what people think this is your life. You'll get all the family you'll ever need in the corp. "First to Fight." Don't let that scare you, once you go to bootcamp you'll be ready if you are ever needed. Take care and God Bless.