PDA

View Full Version : Another of my odd threads...........

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:09 PM
Ya know, sometimes, I just really worry about me.......

Ok ok, we all know about the tsunami thing, and over 150,000 human biengs dead and or missing right? All these relief fund raisers, newspaper articles, blah blah so on and so forth. here's the part about why I tend to worry about me.

I could care less about those 150,000 people. I mean sure, it's too bad and all that it happened, but I don't FEEL bad that it happened. I feel nothing for the victims, or the survivors, or the survivors families.

Yet at the same time, every time I read of one of my fellow Marines death in combat, it makes me misty eyed, as does a really well done version of the national anthem, the end of Saving Private Ryan, and Braveheart.

I can get all sentimental about movies, and people the belong to an orginization that I once called home, but for the rest of the human race? I feel nothing. ( well, except in the case of children, got a soft spot for the snot noses) What the hell does that make me? Selfish? Borderline sociopath? or just a cold uncaring jerk?

hell, I don't know where I am going with this, but do I ever when I get in one of these moods?

Marine_Gunner63
01-29-05, 08:23 PM
i totally agree with you though it is hard to find a good version of the national anthem any more. but what really ticks me off is all the money that we are sending there and the hurricanes in florida last year they got a little help and news coverage for a week and then it was forgotten about. what about the americans huh? you me and SgtMajor_Lee are on the same page with this one.

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:27 PM
Thanks Gunner. You'll see, if you stick around, I write alot of these types of threads. LOL, My brothers and sisters here are my own personal therapy group.

Marine_Gunner63
01-29-05, 08:29 PM
lmao

ivalis
01-29-05, 08:32 PM
gunner, the folks in florida had insurance, subsidized by the govt. don't know, but i imagine it was a lot more than was sent to the tsunami folks.

greensideout
01-29-05, 08:33 PM
Therapy your a$$ Jedi!---lol---Stop looking at your belly button and you might find a world out there that you can contribute to.

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:35 PM
I do have to say though, it's not the money being spent elswhere that ticks me off particularly. I mean sure it's a shame that we send money overseas for that stuff, when here I sit, an honorably...

ivalis
01-29-05, 08:38 PM
cripes jedi, ya p!ssed away your GI bill. WTF?

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:41 PM
hey, it took me some time to decide what I wanted to do with my life after I got out of the Corps ok? Hell, I never planned on LIVING to get out of the Corps, to be honest( call it the Lt. Dan syndrome I guess)

then I went to school for almost three years to earn a degree in criminal justice, got accepted to the KCMO police academy, then got hurt, and a spinal birth defect was discovered, soI could not continue in pursuit of that anymore, so I did not know what I wanted to do. Took me till just last fall to find something I really thought I might enjoy to study.

Marine_Gunner63
01-29-05, 08:43 PM
honestly jedi i feel the same way. i didn't feel a thing.

greensideout
01-29-05, 08:47 PM
A history teacher would be good---tell it like it really happened!

yellowwing
01-29-05, 08:50 PM
Natural disaster on someone elses soil. Sh*t happens. I am just wondering about the real dollar costs. I mean if the tsumani had hit our coast, we'd have to rebuild condos, hotels, resorts, shipping...

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:55 PM
HEY YELLOWING! now way! Thanks for the Laugh, Bro. and I never did respond to that last Pm you sent me about my time spent on post on Guam.

Thanks for that one, I had never really thought of it like that.

You're a good friend, even though I have never met you.

Greensideout? Did I tell you I was studying to be a history teacher? I know I have told a few people that, didn't know if it was common knowledge or not.

Osotogary
01-29-05, 09:11 PM
ivalis-
Home insurance is really becoming scarce with or without some sort of catastrophy. No one, it seems, wants to insure home owners and if one does get insurance the premiums are outrageous.
Aside from all the hurricane damage I imagine that there are alot of folks "out there" with payed off homes but with no insurance. There could be parrallels with automobile and health insurance as well.

Hard Jedi-
Welcome to normalcy...as I know it. Anybody with half a brain understands that you've got to take care of your own before you venture out and help others. If you have to help others, do it proportionately to the needs of your own.
HardJedi...you are doing okay and even though you care squat about the folks in Florida I am not adverse to having you send me a check, money order, quarter...whatever. LOL

greensideout
01-29-05, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi

Greensideout? Did I tell you I was studying to be a history teacher? I know I have told a few people that, didn't know if it was common knowledge or not.

I met and talked to a guy downtown the other day and he told me that you were going to be a history teacher---LOL.

HardJedi
01-29-05, 09:28 PM
you met someone who knows me? LOL WHO?

HardJedi
01-29-05, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary

Hard Jedi-
Welcome to normalcy...as I know it. Anybody with half a brain understands that you've got to take care of your own before you venture out and help others. If you have to help others, do it proportionately to the needs of your own.
HardJedi...you are doing okay and even though you care squat about the folks in Florida I am not adverse to having you send me a check, money order, quarter...whatever. LOL

I would care about what heppend to YOU gary, it's only strangers that I seem to have a problem working up sympathy for! now I feel bad for saying that! dang it YOU found a way to make me feel bad about something, thanks ALOT! :D

Osotogary
01-29-05, 09:49 PM
Seriously, HardJedi.
I am always here to help...sometimes inadvertently.:) When do I get my FEMA check?
Take care. I always enjoy your input and ideas. They spawn fertile exchanges. You will do well as a teacher. You will make your students think.

HardJedi
01-30-05, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Osotogary
I always enjoy your input and ideas. They spawn fertile exchanges. You will do well as a teacher. You will make your students think.

wow, thanks. thats probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while. :D

Osotogary
01-30-05, 01:55 PM
In the immortal words of Randolph Scott, "Gung Ho!".
Understand your strengths and your frailties. Work on improving both. Take time out to enjoy your progress and then continue on. All this should take about a life time or until the time you say,"I'm done". One step at a time.

JennaJarHead
01-30-05, 02:18 PM
Don't worry about it Jedi. I also don't understand why so much money is being sent to survivors of the tsunami (there weren't that many right?), when we have lots of things to spend money here right under our noses. There are children right here who need food, homes, clothing, etc. Our Marines and soldiers could certainly use the money. Their kids could use the money. I guess when it's personal...you feel the pain. If your mom had been in Thailand when the tsunami hit, you might feel a personal connection. You feel the pain of a Marine being killed because he's your brother. Whether you know him or not. It's personal.

Semper Fidelis
Jenna

TRLewis
01-30-05, 02:53 PM
i thought i was the only one that felt this way and kept my feelings to myself. I have voiced why does it billions to rebuild when the exchange rate is so great?

I dont really give a **** about them, i do care about the people in florida who still didnt have power in december.

HardJedi
01-30-05, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by TRLewis

I dont really give a **** about them, i do care about the people in florida who still didnt have power in december.

see? thats the difference. If you were walking down the street, as an adult male, whom I did not know, and i did not know was a former Marine? If you choked to death in front of me, I wouldn't care. I MAY try and help you, if I was not in a hurry, I may not. A strangers problems, of ANY kind, are not my problem, and I generally won't other with them. women and kids are different. ( as are people who I consider part of my family)

maybe that will help explain a little better why I worry about me sometimes, ya know? I feel like I SHOULD care about what happens right in front of me, or maybe its that I am MADE to feel bad for NOT caring. Hell, I don't know.