PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl in Jacksonville Florida

caryverell
01-29-05, 09:45 AM
:marine: There seems to be some question, at least in my mind, as to whether local veterans will be granted access to the Veterans Memorial in between the coliseum and the stadium. I would like to think that veterans, identified by their uniforms ( wheter service uniforms or veterans groups unioforms ) and perhaps ID cards, would be granted access to the Memorial wall 24/7/365.

I understand from Ed Verrill ( Semper Fidelis Society member, No. Fla Hi Pwr member, MC League member, Gateway Member ) that he has to date been denied access through the fenced area one must cross to get to the Memorial.

I've sent the following to USMC veteran Roxanna Barnes in response to her last informal news letter. Please give thought to this civic consideration. Please act upon this issue in such a way that reflects well on we Marines and fellow services.

Roxanna,

From the little that I've heard it is doubtful that any of us will be allowed to go to the area 'tween the stadium and the coliseum much less participate in any way shape or form. It is a shame that we cannot at least run a 24 hour guard on the wall to "shoo" away the drunken revelers looking for a place to urinate.

If in fact we are to be totally denied access we should protest that denial. Not in a way that makes the city look bad at the moment; not in a way that reduces our political clout. Perhaps something along the lines of the following.

I would like to suggest that we each make an effort to go to the wall during the window of the superbowl. Make it a point to note the time and manner that we are turned away. Take the next step to make a written complaint to the Mayor, the city council via that person's council representative, with concurrent copies to NFLVetCoun, Chan 12 and Chan 4.

I am wondering if we have an incidence of malice on the part of the majority of the city council ( considering the effort to retain the correct name of the colliseum ) or if it was a case of being blind sided by the NFL with legal constraints. In either case my opinion of the NFL has been considerably lessened once again. It was only natural that many of us thought the NFL would embrace, perhaps even solicit, the participation of true veterans living in the area of their host - especially considering the "theme" of event. It is with effort that I forcibly remind myself that I served "in harms way" for the defense and freedom of the NFL persons as well as the defense and freedom of family and friends close.

Semper Fidelis

Cary Verell
USMC Sgt Cmbt Engr 1974 - 1980

:mad:

For the members of this Leatherneck Forum that choose to visit Jacksonville as it hosts this sports spectacle: Please make it a point to visit our Memorial Wall and show your respect for fallen comrades. This Memorial lies in the heart of the festivities. If it should come to pass that we locals are denied access, please make it a point to whip the back end of anyone ignorant and disrespectful enough to in any way deface our Veterans' Memorial Wall.

I thank you in advance for your consideration, support, and fidelity.

For the moderator of this forum: Please remove this post on or about the 15th of February. There is no need to have lingering sour notes.