PDA

View Full Version : question

Lestat
01-28-05, 09:38 PM
Hello to all from a new member,
Im set to leave for PI March 21 and Iv got some pre boot camp questions. My recruiter has left for Iraq so I didnt get the chance to ask any questions. What exactly will get you sent home from boot camp(besides the obvious, Fraternization or being a complete dumb a@@) Im looking forward to being a Marine, and truthfully there is nothing I have ever wanted more. Physically I am Ok, average runner and above average body strength. Working on stamina and pullups(biggest concern). Im about 6'6 260. I need to loose a few lbs before I ship but that can be easily done. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TRLewis
01-28-05, 09:42 PM
You will not be sent home from boot camp. Unless you refuse to train. Quickest way off the island is to graduate

yellowwing
01-28-05, 09:59 PM
Average runner, that can be easily be changed depending on your motivation. A side effect will be a drop in your body mass. Your pull-ups will also increase.

Think deeply on this. You are joining a lifelong Brotherhood. You now have first hand experience of someone you personally know going off to combat for these our United States.

Lestat
01-28-05, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the replies, cant wait to wear that uniform bearing the crucible.

TRLewis
01-28-05, 10:09 PM
Remember they had someone die on the crucible here recently. But that shouldnt be a problem. You'll be hitting that in june. Its the most fun you'll ever have.

CAR
01-28-05, 10:16 PM
Dam lestat,
Big Kid! I guess mortars or heavy guns will be looking at you. As for what will get yoiu sent home Lewis is right, as long as you waqnt to train, they work with you. The obvious exceptions are some serious injury. Keep up the PT, eat smart and try to cut mass as best you can safely (don't get silly and hurt yourself). Stay with cardio and calastetics (sp error) ,push ups, side straddle hops, sit ups etc. loose the weight lifting or at least cut it down to high reps low weight. Good luck.

Not to worry the DI's will get any extra weight off ya and if they're good you may even come out like 6'1"

yellowwing
01-28-05, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I served in the Cold War Era. Our SNCOs said, "All you 6'4" 250 pound motherf*ckers are just bigger targets for the Soviet Naval Infantry. Only you c*cks*ckers with radio antenaes are nicer targets for them!"

The principal is probably the same these days. Lose the weight and get your 3 mile run time down. Invest $100 bucks in good jogging shoes and put at least 200 miles in them before March!

Otherwise, you will experiece more pain and humiliation than you have ever known.

yellowwing
01-28-05, 11:55 PM
Oh, pardon me. You actual will experience more pain and humiliaitaion than your have ever known. That I know for a fact.

But if your are more physically prepared you might expierenced less. I was never a Drill Instructor, so its only a thoery. ;)

abel
01-29-05, 01:54 AM
thanks for the suggestions and replies......my mos is spec security forces.

jo1753
01-29-05, 02:33 AM
Ok other then the PT advice you already got from others here on the forum............And if I may add it was very sound advice.

About all I could say to any poolee would be. remember..this is just a heads-up and this is how it was back in the 60's-70's

Never call your drill instructor a DI or refer to a drill instructoe as (You ).............it's always the drill instructor or the senior drill instructor.......The senior will be wearing a black belt.....in boot camp titles mean everything
Never look him/her straight in the eyes....... Instead look thru them..........Like they are not even there.
Never refer to yourself as ( I ) ...from the time you reach the island to the time they tell you .........that "you are now a Marine". You refer to yourself as ( the private )
And most of all remember this.............the job you want and you want it like you've not wanted anything more in your life is Platoon Guide............. not always but most of the time the guide recieved. dress blues. ......like I mentioned earlier perhaps this is all old news. Maybe someone who went thru boot camp not so long ago can fine tune this some. I hope this helps you out....Semper-Fi

Lestat
01-29-05, 04:47 AM
Thanks.....how to refer to the Drill Isntructors was the next question i was gonna ask.

marinemom
01-29-05, 06:28 AM
Lestt - one word of advice from a mother - try to get as much sleep as you can the night before you leave and on the trip to the Island ( also, never refer to it as "PI"). If you can nap at MEPS whle waiting for transport, and at the airport, do it. Those first 24 hours are killers.

Also, check your wallet - take out pictures of the girlfriend - no keys, and do not get a haircut before leaving - trust me on this one.

Sgted
01-29-05, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by marinemom
Lestt -
Also, check your wallet - take out pictures of the girlfriend - no keys, and do not get a haircut before leaving - trust me on this one.

I can attest to this one.
I don't know about now, but back in '65 only minutes from the yellow foot prints and in the recieving barracks we were told to empty our wallets.
The DI's rifled through the contents and had some ripe remarks about pictures of girlfriends, relatives and other contents.
One of the first of many tests.

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by abel
thanks for the suggestions and replies......my mos is spec security forces.

Ahhh, don't mean to burst your bubble, but your MOS is INFANTRY. for 18months you will fill a billet in security forces, but thats about it. ( except in very RARE cases) and when if your DI's ask you what you MOS is, tell them Infantry with a security forces option, otherwise they are just gonna correct you.

DuckSauce
01-29-05, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Sgted

I can attest to this one.
I don't know about now, but back in '65 only minutes from the yellow foot prints and in the recieving barracks we were told to empty our wallets.
The DI's rifled through the contents and had some ripe remarks about pictures of girlfriends, relatives and other contents.
One of the first of many tests.

So do they let you keep those pictures during training?

Sgted
01-29-05, 11:27 AM
They were given back to us.

DuckSauce
01-29-05, 11:31 AM
Ahh ok... Hope I don't forget what my family looks like, haha. What a shame.

Thanks Sergeant.

Sgted
01-29-05, 11:44 AM
AS I remember, pictures of girlfriends were used to pick a miss platoon #..........
Miss 167 October 1965 was hot by 1965 standards.
I don't know whos girlfriend she was ....no name given.

You'll be busy, but you won't forget what your family looks like.
My whole family and girlfriend drove down to PI to attend my graduation.
It was the proudest day of my life.

Namvet67
01-29-05, 11:56 AM
Everything that we had in our pockets or on our body was packed up and shipped home...that was in 1967. I still would recommend that you take nothing with you to boot. The Corps will issue you all you will need.....Good luck!

JAMarine
01-29-05, 01:04 PM
What exactly will get you sent home from boot camp

Why on earth young person would you ever ask a silly a$$ question such as this.

Are you looking forward to becoming a Marine or are you already looking for ways to come home?

My God! Either you want to be a Marine or you Don't.

And why is it that we continue to get Poolee's or wanna be's in here just month or weeks before they step onto our "Yellow Footprints" and it's like they want to know what they are getting into.
Use your Recruiters Poolee's. Bond with Marines in those offices. There are New Marines running through them constantly. They are more than willing to fill you in on their recent experiences and challenges.

Just my observation and opinion

Lestat
01-29-05, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by JAMarine
What exactly will get you sent home from boot camp

Why on earth young person would you ever ask a silly a$$ question such as this.

Are you looking forward to becoming a Marine or are you already looking for ways to come home?

My God! Either you want to be a Marine or you Don't.

And why is it that we continue to get Poolee's or wanna be's in here just month or weeks before they step onto our "Yellow Footprints" and it's like they want to know what they are getting into.
Use your Recruiters Poolee's. Bond with Marines in those offices. There are New Marines running through them constantly. They are more than willing to fill you in on their recent experiences and challenges.

Just my observation and opinion

My recruiter is in Iraq, he left 2 days after I got back from MEPS. Did not have much of a chance to ask him anything. And yes there is nothing I have ever wanted more than to be a Marine.

Ahhh, don't mean to burst your bubble, but your MOS is INFANTRY. for 18months you will fill a billet in security forces, but thats about it. ( except in very RARE cases) and when if your DI's ask you what you MOS is, tell them Infantry with a security forces option, otherwise they are just gonna correct you.

Thanks for this info, like stated above my recruiter is gone so im stepping in this thing blind and with nothing but a ship date!:devious:

SgtMajor_Lee
01-29-05, 07:31 PM
hey ease up corporal kid just asked a question.

Lestat
01-29-05, 07:42 PM
Yes sir, no disrespect intended.

SgtMajor_Lee
01-29-05, 07:46 PM
not you i was talking about JAMarine. sorry for the confusion.

Lestat
01-29-05, 07:48 PM
oic

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:16 PM
lestat? you included a quote by me, but I was talking to Abel, not you with that bit of info about the conection between Security Forces and the Infantry, unless you ALSO are going Security Forces? Did I miss that somewhere?

Lestat
01-29-05, 08:43 PM
No, I had created another profile b/c for some reason I couldnt log back on last night under my current user name. But that has been fixed. So I will not be using the profile abel anymore, sorry for the confusion.

HardJedi
01-29-05, 08:47 PM
gotcha. well, good to go then. Hope you won't mind being infantry then, cause that is what the majority of your time in the Corps is going to be. ( security forces, while a vital role, has to be one of the most BORING things a human being can engage in, besides watching paint dry and grass grow) which is why it's only 18 months usually.

Lestat
01-29-05, 08:54 PM
No I dont mind Infantry, that was my first choice when I went to the recruiting office. Aint nothing that would make me happier than to walk around with a mg strapped to my back.:) But my recruiter told me since I would like to further my law enforcement career(im a deputy sheriff, 21 yrs old) if/when I get out that SS forces would be good for me. He told me that I would be around some feds and Marshalls is this correct? He told me I would be stationed in either D.C. or Camp David MA.

JAMarine
01-29-05, 08:57 PM
"Ease Up"? "Ease UP"?

AyeAye Sgt.Maj. I'm not one to do that but out of respect for you and your position, I'll keep quiet.

JAM Out!

HardJedi
01-29-05, 09:01 PM
well he can't promise you where you are going to be stationed. as far as the marshalls? I acutally served 24 months in security forces, on two different bases, and saw Fed Marshalls exactly twice.can't really tell you WHY i saw them, or where, as the nature of that info is classified, of course, but it's not like we worked with em alot or something.

Lestat
01-29-05, 09:17 PM
IC thanks, i guess he mis led me.

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 03:12 AM
Don't worry about getting kicked out already! Just go in there and get that tittle.

The_4th_Stooge
02-15-05, 02:24 PM
I'm a computer nerd who isn't as physically confident as he is mentally. Are there any written tests in boot camp?

LivinSoFree
02-15-05, 02:39 PM
2. A 50 question test towards the end of First Phase, and a 150 question final test during your final days on The Island. The tests are all multiple choice, and cover everything from basic skills to Marine Corps History. I personally found them to be EXTREMELY easy, as they're pretty much geared towards an 8th grade reading level, and your Drill Instructors WILL make sure that even the ASVAB Waiver Recruit can pass the thing with a 100 percent. Additionally, there's a practical applications test of first aid and customs and courtesies, also during your last days on The Island.

jerryB
02-15-05, 05:15 PM
Remember at the Island the first word out of your filty mouth is:

"Sir" loud and clear....

B A Hall
02-15-05, 07:38 PM
I was asigned the fat body's at Leajeune and I actually had a Marine that would wrap up in selafane and run untill he could not make it any further and I would put him in my pick up and carry him back and he stayed in.He put out 100%.Bust a@@ Semper Fi

B A Hall
02-15-05, 07:41 PM
Oh Yea I'm 6'3 Hope you like the m-60