PDA

View Full Version : Push ups

Poolee20050815
01-28-05, 05:13 PM
Well everyone, my push ups as of right now, how should I put this, ...oh yeah, they're nonexistant. As a female I understand, we don't have alot of upper body strength, but darn it my flex arm hang is 73 seconds. LOL. I need advice, big time. I am taking some PT classed in school so, I do have access to the weight room. As of right now, I do have 6 1/2 months until RT, I hope that will be enough time to increase my push ups. And one more thing, out of curiousity, how many push ups do you think I should be able to do before I leave?

Thank you so much,
M

SgtMajor_Lee
01-28-05, 05:21 PM
for one the push up and FAH use two totally sets of muscles. to help do bench a 45 pound bar till you can't do it anymore wait 1 minute then do it again. you can do pushups on your knees instead of toes, wall pushups, divebombers, and diamond pushups another thing you can do is dips, assisted dips and any other tricep workouts. to answer your question to how many you should be able to do before RT... as many as you can.

Marine_Gunner63
01-28-05, 06:18 PM
the SgtMajor has given you some great advice. try to throw in some dumbell presses and flys too.

Pel
01-28-05, 09:32 PM
atleast 200 :) thats what I do... hmm when you wake up just roll out of bed and start pushing tell you cant push anymore... go take a shower and when you get out and dressed start pushing... do teath hair makeup (girls ugh) and start pushing... it helped me alot.

Poolee20050815
01-28-05, 09:44 PM
200!!! I can't even do 2! LOL. Thanks for the advice though.
BTW everyone that replyed to my thread resides in MI, aint that something?

Pel
01-28-05, 09:47 PM
haha thats awsome... but yea... my school is pretty big on pushups but I dont hold the most... there was a kid in 8th grade that did 295 ugh thats wrong... and many others that are above me... just keep on pushing

Poolee20050815
01-28-05, 09:50 PM
Thanks Pel, and good luck to you.

DuckSauce
01-29-05, 11:26 AM
Michigan, BAAHHHH...

:D

You guys do have some nice scenery though...hehe.

Pel
01-29-05, 12:08 PM
You kidding? were flat as a table... I need some mountains.

jinelson
01-29-05, 12:15 PM
Gotcha all beat all beat out here in California, those of ya going to MCRD San Diego dont forget your sun glasses and sun screen you will need it. If you forget them ask your drill instructor and he will be happy to issue them to you, oh yeah and maybe wear a flower in your hair they would love that. heheheheh!!!

PFCJon
01-29-05, 12:27 PM
I'm sure the Drill Instructors would love the flower- as long as I'm wearing a tie-dyed shirt and birkenstocks as well, right?

This is kind of funny- Holland, MI here- just southwest of GR

DuckSauce
01-29-05, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pel
You kidding? were flat as a table... I need some mountains.

Haha, sorry I was talking about Lake Houghten.

My Aunt and Uncle rent out cabins just steps from the shoreline, nice little place up there:)

Poolee20050815
01-29-05, 01:39 PM
I can't wait for the snow to melt. Its cold out here.

Pel
01-29-05, 02:39 PM
Meh cold but not too cold the snowcoverd sidewalks suck cause thats what we run on... and the fact that snow means salt trucks... <br />
I have my 68 Firebird in the garage right now waiting for the salt...

jinelson
01-29-05, 02:48 PM
Hey Pel

It dosent snow in California but guess where I work? A salt plant we grow the salt from San Fransisco Bay and concentrate it in ponds and then harvest it to send it to put on roads. The salt thats eating up your bird comes from our St Clair mine. I bought a 67 Camaro brand new so I know how much you love that car. The salt here however is liquid and so its on everything and even in the air and eats our cars big time. Good luck to you in your quest to be one of the few, Ive read your posts and you have the heart and motivation to get it done.

Pel
01-30-05, 05:18 AM
Thanks Staff Sergeant, And the salt in the air sounds like Hawaii the absolute worst place in the states to own a car... surrounded on all sides by the enemy.................... SALT. ugh hate the stuff.

Pel

PFCJon
01-30-05, 11:18 AM
Hey Pel, what time and day of the week is warrior/poolee training in GR? I'm going to college at GVSU and because of night classes am not able to hook up with the Holland recruiter. It'd be pretty nice to spend some time training with some other poolees rather than on my own all the time.
Cross

Pel
01-30-05, 04:43 PM
6pm on Tues and Wednesdays If ya feel like stopping in let me know Im a sqaud leader and will let the people that need to know know.

Pel

PFCJon
01-30-05, 05:34 PM
That's a no go, thanks anyway, but I'm stuck in class until 7 on Tues and 10 on Wed. If there are any weekend events or anything like that, where would I go or who would I ask to find out? Do the recruiters in the area- ie GR and Holland- communicate this kind of information back and forth at all?

I'll try and make it one of these days if classes are cancelled, but man, this night-class is just killing me, haha.

Pel
01-30-05, 06:32 PM
Once a month we get together on a weekend... more of a fun day than anything else the last one was snowboarding... and we have done puggle sticks and mcmap stuff, Pluss the memorable Battle Creek weekend. Give RSS Grand Rapids a call otherwise ill try and find out when the next one might be... I dont know anything about holland I didnt even know they had an RSS lol. OohRAH

Pel

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 02:57 AM
Poolee 20050815 listen to my Sergeant Major and Gunner. I was in your same situation about four years ago. I benched a bit and did some dips. Just because were females doesn't mean we get a break. We're expected to do the same requirements as the males.

Kaziganthi
02-11-05, 10:09 PM
Its ok I a guy and I can't do a crap load of pushups... Like SgtMajor Lee said do burn out bench press (keep going til you burn out and cant even lift the weight off chest anymore...oh and have someone spot you, espescially if you have a lot of weight on there...)

PFCJon
02-12-05, 01:04 AM
For anyone looking to up those pushups and upper body strength in general, I got a simple workout from a boxer friend of mine that really kicks my butt

12 wide 12 normal 6 diamond
10 wide 10 normal 5 diamond
8 wide 8 normal 4 diamond

You get the idea, work down to 1, 1 and 0, you don't take breaks between different pushups, take 10-20 seconds between sets. It hurts! It's taken me a few days before I can get through the entire thing without really struggling or dropping to my knees, but I feel stronger, so it must work!

jinelson
02-12-05, 01:51 AM
you just keep amazing me DEPjon, keep it up and you will claim the title and excell after that.

Poolee20050815
02-12-05, 06:08 PM
Thank you guys so much. What I am doing right now is having my feet against the wall for support, instead of doing knee push ups! It's working. I do what the Sgt. Major Lee said, it helps alot. I just need to keep at it. I believe by the time I leave, Aug. 15, I will be able to do a lot. I am hoping around 50, or more. Setting my standards high! :D

MAC
02-12-05, 07:15 PM
DEPJon's advice is sound.

The only thing I have to add to it is while you're doing that you can also elevate your feet on a chair or other lateral surface. The rim of a bathtup is great to start with. (or dog or little sibling, if that's more your speed, hell the movement even adds another dimension of excitement to the process...or so i'm told *ahem*)

Move progressively higher as you get stronger. This will target the different muscles of your chest, as well as the different muscles of your triceps (there are three triceps muscles to work on, FYI).

That's my .02, hope it helps. Best of luck to you, Ma'am.