PDA

View Full Version : nothing BETTER to worry about? Lord.

HardJedi
01-27-05, 12:55 PM
Student suing school over patriotic necklace

District says red, white, blue beads are gang-related

A federal lawsuit is slated to be filed Friday. At issue is whether a Schenectady girl's constitutional rights were violated when school officials asked her to remove a necklace.

Twelve-year-old Raven Furbert insists the beaded necklace shows her support for the troops.School administrators say regardless of what the necklace means, the beads are not allowed.

For Raven, every day is a chance to be patriotic.Her uncle, J.D. Barnes, is serving in Iraq.So she made a red, white and blue beaded necklace to express her patriotism and her support for the troops.

She wore the necklace to Mont Pleasant Middle School on Tuesday until she was told to take it off.

"All they said was [the beads are] gang-related," Raven said.

"I don't get how beads can be gang-related," she added.

Raven's mother, Katie Grzywna, thinks her daughter's rights have been violated.

"In my opinion it's a constitutional issue. Freedom of expression," she said.

That constitutional issue is now at the center of a federal lawsuit Raven's attorney intends to file on Friday.

"If this little girl wants to come here and wear this necklace to show her support for those people then that's an issue I as a civil rights lawyer will fight for," Bob Keach said.

The school's code of conduct states student's jewelry "will be safe, appropriate and not...interfere with the educational process."It also says "students will not wear any clothing deemed to be gang related."

The code of conduct does not explicitly mention beads or beaded necklaces.But school officials say the beads have been affiliated with gangs in the past.So they're not allowed.

"We want to make sure that our students have options to express themselves, but it has to be done in a way that's safe for everyone in the school building," said Shari Greenleaf, the attorney for the city school district.

"It's red, white and blue. The colors of the school are red, white and blue. This is potentially gang-related? What does that mean? It's ridiculous," Keach said.

School officials say the color red is often affiliated with one particular gang, and the color blue is often affiliated with another.

The school would not comment specifically on the lawsuit. It is expected to be filed Friday.

HardJedi
01-27-05, 12:56 PM
Now I ask, if those are ALSO the school colors, shouldn't they also take THOSE off of everything, since they are "gang related" colors?

Good GOD! shouldn't the fricking Admins of the school worry more bout, say, if the kids can READ or not?

CAR
01-27-05, 06:24 PM
Amen Jedi.

SgtMajor_Lee
01-27-05, 06:32 PM
i think someone needs to get laid.

thedrifter
01-27-05, 06:58 PM
I thought my mind was only on that wave length...LOL

SgtMajor_Lee

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Ellie

Osotogary
01-27-05, 07:33 PM
SgtMajor_Lee, how did you know? LOL

I heard that it is against the law to show support for the troops on your vehicle. Doesn't Oregon have State Troopers? I suppose that it would be against the law, then, to support them.

The State of Obsurd is growing larger by the day.

HardJedi
01-27-05, 07:36 PM
Where ostogary? WHERE is it against the law to show support for troops? thats just CRAZY! they'd have to turn Missouri into a penal colony if that was the law here. Seems like every third car I see has a "support the troops" ribbon on it.

MillRatUSMC
01-27-05, 09:05 PM
Where, you asked, where was it not allowed to show a sign in support of the troops.

http://www.kezi.com/content/contentID/9835

No Support for Our Troops at Oregon University

A yellow ribbon sticker that says "Support The Troops" has created a big stir at the University of Oregon.
A day after a campus employee was told to remove the sticker from his maintenance vehicle -- people on campus are reacting.
It all started after a university employee complained.
Some think the university may have gone too far.
But for now... all the stickers are gone.
For some it's a sticker that supports the troops.
But at the University of Oregon...
someone saw it as a political statement.
"I don't know how they think these are political..
I think they're patriotic," said Pete Baker.

Sad state of affairs in a public school of learning.
I'm out-raged on the stupidity of it all!

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

HardJedi
01-27-05, 09:56 PM
what a bunch of horsescrap