PDA

View Full Version : something that a Marine told me

p8ntballsnipr1
01-26-05, 09:11 PM
I was out eating breakfast with a few Jar heads and some local war vets, when a retired Marine came up behind and and assuming that becuase I was sitting with 3 Marines he guessed that I was and told me " OohRaH Marines and Semper Fi!" Was I in the wrong to say it back? I Asked the Marines I was sitting next too and they said they didnt mind, I dont know but its just been a thing that has been buggin me, But now I know who he is, he is a volunteer firefighter, now same as I, pretty Cool guy too
But all in the same, I know that I havent earned the title yet, or reserved any right to act like a Marine, but when talking to a Marine, could I use Semper Fi as a goodbye?

FullMetalJacket
01-26-05, 09:39 PM
If you are a poolee, why not act like a Marine? Arent you representing something in which you want to be apart of? Do you really want to act like a slob or someone who will be living in their parents basement till their 30's? Stand and act proud for which you decided to step into.

AshleyMS
01-26-05, 10:34 PM
Well in some ways I agree with Full, you should be proud of who you are going to be, but you should also refrain from acting like a Marine until you have earned the title. But you can do whatever, its not like we can stop you from where we are...lol. Semper Fi

TRLewis
01-26-05, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by p8ntballsnipr1
I was out eating breakfast with a few Jar heads and some local war vets, when a retired Marine came up behind and and assuming that becuase I was sitting with 3 Marines he guessed that I was and told me " OohRaH Marines and Semper Fi!" Was I in the wrong to say it back? I Asked the Marines I was sitting next too and they said they didnt mind, I dont know but its just been a thing that has been buggin me, But now I know who he is, he is a volunteer firefighter, now same as I, pretty Cool guy too
But all in the same, I know that I havent earned the title yet, or reserved any right to act like a Marine, but when talking to a Marine, could I use Semper Fi as a goodbye?

This is how it was best described to me as a poolee:

Act like a Marine, I'll treat you like one. But if you leave and come back without the title you have lost that status.

I worked with this guy who was in DEP, but refused to go and he thought that we were cool because he almost went. I told him how I felt about him.

HardJedi
01-26-05, 11:26 PM
Look, almost everyone I ever met in the poolee program used Semper Fi', and ooh-rah, and terms like devil dog. Now, thats because they(we) are(were) all young and excited. As long as you know where those terms came from, and use them with RESPECT, and not as some kinda SLANG to make you seem cool, then there shouldn't be much of a problem with using them to refer to OTHER people. Just not for yourself, not yet. ( just my .02)
on a side note, I don't know about anyone else, but I NEVER liked being refered to as a "Jar Head". maybe some others don't mind, and if the gentlmen you were eating with don't mind, then so be it. But I would be careful about throwing the term around myself.:marine:

jo1753
01-27-05, 02:54 AM
Well I agree with HardJedi on the jar head thing. I've always felt when anyone other then another Marine is addressing me. I've earned the title of Marine. I'd take it from another Marine if thay wanted to call me a jar head.........But thats as far as i'd go. If some other branch called me that..............Well we won't go there.

Has anyone ever told you what Semper-Fi means....?
In short..................it means.... " Always Faithful " To the Marine corps, to our country, and to yourself...........Semper-Fi

jo1753
01-27-05, 03:20 AM
I'm sorry but I forgot to mention something that i'd like to pass on ..........must be old age..........lol This is to anyone who's joining our ranks....Or just thinking of joining us......Your not just going in the service. Instead your joining a bortherhood that will live with or among you if you live to be 150 years old. It's hard to put into words How proud I still feel when I think back to the very first time I put my dress blues on. Then stood in the head in front of a mirror squared my cover and checked my dress shoes for skuffs., before falling into ranks to graduate from boot camp.

When you get that far.............you'll know you earned the title Marine. No you need not earn dress blues out of boot camp, to be a Marine. But set your sights on them and settle for nothing less. It used to be 10% out of a platoon would make PFC One would make PFC with dress blues. Years ago the average platoon was about 65-70 today I couldn't honestly say if those numbers have changed or not.

Now I hear you can get PFC just by getting someone else to join up..............I guess times are-a-changing....lol...Semper-Fi

snipowsky
01-27-05, 04:21 AM
This is my thoughts on being called a &quot;Jarhead&quot;. <br />
<br />
If you are a Marine or honorably discharged Marine call me a Jarhead and I won't mind. <br />
<br />
If you aren't any of the above or a family member of one...

mrbsox
01-27-05, 07:37 AM
Echos for above.

'Jarhead' is mildly derogeratory in my mind, UNLESS, from another Marine.

To reference to a Marine as 'Devil DOg' or 'Leatherneck' is generally considered a compliment, IF done respectfully.

'Ohra' and 'Aye-Aye' border on both in my mind, from a civilian. As a poolee, I can cut some slack.... but keep the respect there.

As for SEMPER FIDELIS, I'm going to voice a NO :no: !!
You ARE NOT a Marine. You have NOT earned the title, or privelage to wear the Eagle Globe and Anchor. It's OUR motto.

To hear another use it, is like me adding a combat SCUBA badge to my rack, just because I'm a ceritfied diver. Or jump wings because I went sky diving once.
It borders on lying. That is NOT HONORABLE, it's not MARINE

Enough said !

enviro
01-27-05, 09:29 AM
No one should act like a Marine. A Marine will be just that - a Marine.

As a young poolee, you need to carry yourself like a Marine. Show respect - yess sir, no sir, etc. Show honor courage and commitment. You carry yourself like us and you will get confused for a Marine. Take it as a compliment.

If pressed further, you tell him you are in the DEP. He might just be inclined to call your recruiter or the MEPS CO and tell him he's got some of the best damn poolees out there. Hmmm, might just help get you promoted.

Good job, Poolee - you keep it up. I've seen to many loads o'crap out there joining the military and not having a clue as to how there life is about to change.

How many of you Marines either showed up to boot camp looking like a hippy or know others who did???

There's an old saying on a poster I used to have:

"If someone accused you of being a Marine, would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

Namvet67
01-27-05, 09:32 AM
Jarhead to a Marine is the same as dogface to a soldier. It depends on how you use it. If used as a insult then the rules just changed and you better be able to walk the walk if you are going to talk the talk.

lucien2
01-27-05, 11:59 AM
I don't think you should, it's a hard title to earn. Also, don't use the word jarhead until you become one.

Good luck in bootcamp!

p8ntballsnipr1
01-27-05, 06:44 PM
well then i guess that anwsers my question, I do plan on becomming a Marine with in the next year n ahalf its something that I wanted to do for the last few years, and when im out of highschool, I have a few friends that are going into the military too, but I am proud to know that I think i have wat it takes to be a Marine, now all i gotta do it prove it rite? ive heard today isnt the time to join the military, well i can agree, but it doesnt change my mind, i have positive renforcement from my friends and family, and i hvae been working out and running for the last year, and have wanted to be a Marine for the last 5 or 6 years, i dont want anymore freebies in life, From here on out, I want only what I can Earn, hopefully, and with out a doubt, I will be part of your Brotherhood soon enough

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 03:19 AM
Poolee, in this situation I think it was okay to render the greeting back. As long as it was a Marine and you aren't trying to inpersonate one.