PDA

View Full Version : Asvab Scoring

Indy_Owns
01-26-05, 03:15 PM
I can not find anything that will explain my asvab score to me. I scored an 89.

Is that good?
I have nothing to compare it too.

Thanks for any help:marine:

Amanda
01-26-05, 05:47 PM
I took ASVAB... You are going to have to verify this with Marines, or a recruiter, but i believe that 99 is the highest score you can get... I am not sure what an 89 will qualify you for, you should check with a recruiter, but i was in MCJROTC and i know many people who have taken the test and everyone who scored in the 80s was very happy with their score,,, as far as i know it is very good... but like i said double check with the professionals. : )

airframesguru
01-26-05, 06:06 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm

Check this out. I hit just shy of 90. Got a great job burning barrels of sh!t, just fool'n, the better the score, the more technical/igh end MOS you are qualified for....

Wheres Enviro when we need him...

snipowsky
01-26-05, 06:11 PM
Yep. Sgt. Enviro is quite knowledgable about anything. He even amazes me how much knowledge he remembers.

iroc3000cc
01-26-05, 07:54 PM
i scored a 78 on the ASVAB and i qualified for all of the jobs so you are good to go for whatever you want.

yanacek
01-26-05, 07:59 PM
It looks like you did pretty good on the ASVAB if the score you indicated is the AFQT percentile. Amanda is correct that the maximum for this is 99.

Basically what this score tells you is that if a sample of 100 people were given the ASVAB, 88 persons in that sample would score less than you did, and 11 would score better.

With that said, you should try to find out the other scores that were calculated based on your test results. These are the GT (General Technical), EL (Electronics), CL (Clerical), and MM (Motor Mechanics). The maximum for each of these is 144. These scores are calculated using various sub-tests that make up the ASVAB, and in most cases, used to determine what jobs you will be qualified to be assigned to in the Marine Corps. For example, if you scored an 80 MM and a 125 EL this would indicate you had an aptitude for electronics, and a weakness in mechanical aptitude. In light of this example, it would not be in the interests of either you or the Marine Corps for you to be assigned a job requiring a high degree of mechanical aptitude, such as an aircraft mechanic.

I hope this information was of help to you.

Indy_Owns
01-26-05, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all your help. I guess infantry will be right for me! No matter what my score means I want a job with action. I can't wait to own the title of U.S. Marine.

SuNmAN
01-26-05, 10:21 PM
I took that my Junior year without even the intention of even considering the military...I took it because some hot chick asked me to go take it with her so we could skip physics.

Ended up getting a 96...and now I''m a Marine.

lol

HardJedi
01-26-05, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Indy_Owns
Thanks for all your help. I guess infantry will be right for me! No matter what my score means I want a job with action. I can't wait to own the title of U.S. Marine.

WHOA there chief! Look, if you want to be a Marine, and infantry, good for you. I and many others on this site are former Infantry Marines. But if you go out "looking for action" not ONLY are you gonna die, ( your business) but you are gonna get some other people killed too! and THAT, my young friend is NOT cool.

Being in the infantry, just like all other MOS's is a JOB, not a place to live out some war adventure. And if you have never pulled the trigger on another human bieng, or been there when a good friend of yours got a ride home in a body bag, I would ask you to not treat it all so cavalierly.

( or did i interperet you looking for action wrong? )

snipowsky
01-27-05, 04:40 AM
No HardJedi I think you got the right idea. I remember when I used to think like. Stupid thinking. It's all fun and games until you are there though!

Don't ever pray to see war! Your wish just might come true. Then tell me how you feel about seeing "action". LMFAO!

GunnyL
01-27-05, 05:24 AM
Just to clear something up, the AFQT score is the combination of your Math Knowledge, Arithmatic, Verbal Knowledge and Paragraph comprehention portions of the ASVAB. It isn't about how you would score out of 100 people taking the test. The Maximum AFQT is 99.
If your score is a 50 or above you are in the upper percentiles.
The AFQT indicates that you have the Math and Reading skills you need to function as a member of the Armed Forces and nothing more.

Indy_Owns
01-27-05, 07:52 AM
I think you misunderstood. I never pray for war, I respect human life but if our country decides that war is neccessary then I don't want to be behind a desk.

I'm not joining the Marines for the benifits nor for a desk job.
I'm joining so that I can stand on the frontline
If anyone wants war I want it to come through me
If I understand the EGA does not have a shield on it for a reason.
The Marines were not created for defense

correct me if i'm wrong

enviro
01-27-05, 08:42 AM
Thanks for props guys! Got beat to the punch on this one.

However, I think we've moved on to a new topic here. 89 will just about qualify you for anything (depending on your EL, MM, etc scores). Let's do some career counseling here.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Answer that and we can move forward.

There is no shield on the Eagle Globe and Anchor (or EGA as you call it) There's just an........ well, an Eagle, Globe, and an Anchor.

Marines were created for defense. All of our armed services were. We are not a war-mongering nation hell bent on world domination.

Anyone who has seen war, never wants to see it again. You're not asking for war to come through you, you're asking for a bullet. This is not a subject that we take lightly around here. Lot's of us have either seen it or lost Marines to war. We'll stand and fight, whenever it is necessary.

Sitting behind a desk is a necessary function. One day, you may be asked to lead Marines. And whether you have the big executive kind or an ammo can, you'll need a desk to come flying across when the PVT P|SSES YOU OFF!

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/MCELM/images/EGA.gif

HardJedi
01-27-05, 12:46 PM
Look, you got gut's apparently, and thats fine. But guts is enough to get you killed. It's not your heart or desire that is wrong, it's your choice of words.

Look, NO ONE WANTS war to go through THEM, not if they know what they are talking about. You MAY be willing to sacrifice your life for others, and you MAY be willing to fight for your country and for our freedom, and that is OUTSTANDING. but to WANT a war to come through you? thats just bravado, which impresses no one. and if it's not? I suggets some SERIOUS psychiatric therapy.

Marines, are WILLING to take other peoples lives, it's true, but that is NOT what we want. trust me, spend a few weeks under fire, and you will ENJOY a nice desk job for a bit.

I am not trying to discourage or disuade you. The country NEEDS people who are willing to fight, just do it for the right reasons.

You might think this is just nitpicky, or playing with words, but trust me, you need to learn how to speak, cause your words can get you in a HELL of a lot of trouble.

DuckSauce
01-27-05, 01:54 PM
79 on my asvab

... and i think my GT,El,CL, and MM were in the 110's.

Coulda got better, but i got the general MOS I wanted, so I'm happy with myself.

Indy_Owns
01-27-05, 06:46 PM
Thank you for the corrections, I think that I'll be ok without psych help,

courage...yes
bravery...yes
heart.......yes
stupidity.....priceless

I will work on what I say.
I have a great deal of respect for those who work desk jobs and I understand that they are a vital part of the core.
I don't mean to offend anyone.

HardJedi
01-27-05, 07:28 PM
No offense man, just gotta be carefule with choice of words, and you will do fine.

( by the way, it's CORPS, not core ;) )

good luck! :D

keli
01-29-05, 09:39 AM
1st time I took the test, about a year ago, I scored 54, and I thought that was good. Then I found out my brother (older than me) scored 66. I didn't like him braging, so I bought an ASVAB book and studied. I took the test again about 3 months ago, scored an 82, who's braggin' now!

And that's the end of my inspiration story ;)

DuckSauce
01-29-05, 11:15 AM
Lol, when I was at MEPS, I didn't realize to get your score right away after you take the ASVAB, you had to have an envelope from your recruiter.

Bugged me waiting overnight just to hear my score:D

perfectcircle
01-31-05, 09:25 AM
i have a buddy who scored a 15 on it.....i got a 80 though

yellowwing
01-31-05, 09:28 AM
15? Was he sober when he took the test? :D

perfectcircle
01-31-05, 09:39 AM
I wish he wasn't!

jinelson
01-31-05, 09:49 AM
Good one wing, he sounds like he needs to read and study the ASVAB books if he can read.

HardJedi
01-31-05, 11:57 AM
hell, you'd have to leave 95% of the questions BLANK to get a 15........

though I DID meet one army guy who got like a 20, ( or whatever the minimum was, and he was THRILLED! ) LMAO

yanacek
01-31-05, 01:41 PM
Having spent a number of years on recruiting duty, I can assure you that many high school seniors and graduates score less than a 21! Although uncommon, the lowest I have personally seen is a 01 (not a typo), scored by a high school graduate. Obviously, that is not good considering the ASVAB is designed at a 10th grade level. I have also seen applicants with Bachelor's degrees fail as well as one applicants that actually had a Master's degree. Conversely, I have also seen high school dropouts do very well on the ASVAB.

perfectcircle
01-31-05, 01:45 PM
yeah it's amazing how things work out. this kids pretty good in school too i don't get it.....a buddy of mine that i got cleaned up wants to enlist, he took the asvab and got a 20 something on it. so im making him wait til june to try again. (he took the asvab with the National guard). I make him stay after school and study and stuff ha

yanacek
01-31-05, 02:13 PM
perfectcircle,

There are many ways to fail the ASVAB. Sometimes, applicants fail because they choose to -- rather than telling their recruiter that they really don't want to enlist. Sometimes, they don't color-in the blocks on their answer-sheet dark enough (although I understood that it is now given on a laptop computer). Sometimes, applicants are just tired or not in a good frame of mind. Most though, just lack reading and basic skills in arithmetic.

A good recruiter can give a pretty good estimate of your friend's potential to pass by asking him to take a Wide-Range Achievement Test. This test takes only about 30 seconds. Your friend will be asked to read a series of words that get progressively more difficult. When he mis-pronounces two words in a row, he will be stopped. Based on the point at which he was stopped, a recruiter can get a pretty good estimate on what he should score on the ASVAB. If your friend scores poorly on this, his chances of ever passing the ASVAB are slight, unless he puts forth a great deal of effort into studying.

HardJedi
01-31-05, 05:40 PM
wow, I just have such a hard time understanding how anyone could score low on that thing. it really just baffles my mind. oh well, I guess it's true what they say, not everyone who is smart is good at taking tests.

yanacek
01-31-05, 06:02 PM
HardJedi,

You wouldn't believe the stories I could tell you about some of these young men who want to become Marines. One time I had an applicant filling out some preliminary paperwork. It was a standard type form asking for some basic information like his name, SSN, date of birth, etc. When I reviewed it, I noticed that in response to the question pertaining to "sex," the applicant wrote in his response as "yes," rather than "male." It was difficult to keep a straight face, especially once I determined that the young man was sincere in his response.

There are hundreds of other stories equally or more pathetic. It really makes you wonder how someone can go to school for 12 years, receive a diploma, and not be able to perform basic skills like reading and simple math. I assure you, thousands are graduating from high school each year like this.

Rufe
01-31-05, 06:53 PM
I got the lowest score on there with a 44 and to top it off I got 2 other guys to enlist and they got scores that make mine look like complete crap. But I am still proud that I got a score that gets me in no matter how bad.

yanacek
01-31-05, 07:09 PM
Rufe,

Your score is fine, provided you put forth your best effort. Now, if you can continue to put forth a maximum effort at Boot Camp, you earn the title "Marine." Best of luck to you.

FordSVT
01-31-05, 10:13 PM
I scored an 85 and am very happy with that. All I wanted was a GT score higher than 110 so I could get the MOS I wanted. I got a 132 so I was very happy.

There are some smart people here 40% scored in the 90's? :eek:

AshleyMS
01-31-05, 10:46 PM
The first time I took the asvab the people thought I had cheated..some how I dont know, but they thought I had cheated...didnt have anything with me NOTHING! Scored an 86 on that first test...so I went back the next time and scored a 92 so....