PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting champ encourages Marines to lift; not use drugs or alcohol

thedrifter
01-25-05, 01:51 PM
Powerlifting champ encourages Marines to lift; not use drugs or alcohol
Submitted by: MCAGCC
Story Identification #: 200512419311
Story by Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER Twentynine Palms, Calif. (Jan. 21, 2005) -- With the summer season looming in the distance, and the unbearable heat that accompanies it, are you going to be ready to shed some clothing and hit the beach or did the holiday season take its toll and add a few extra pounds to your frame?

David Roman is a man who knows a thing or two about putting on weight, on a barbell that is, and he wants to help you do the same thing.

Roman, an accomplished powerlifter and the base drug reduction demand coordinator, has been competing in the sport since 1994, but began lifting well before that after turning his life around.

“I started experimenting with lifting weights in 1981 when I got sober,” said Roman. “I didn’t become serious about it until 1986 when I started working out with the powerlifting team at Camp Lejeune.”

Competing in the Masters Division, 242.5 pound weight class, Roman’s accomplishments include four-time Amateur Athletic Union National Champion, three-time AAU World Champion and two-time AAU World International Champion, and now with the help of Lamont Hinton Sr., personal trainer, East Gym, he is looking to start a powerlifting team on base.

“I want to do this for single Marines, Sailors, males and females who live in the barracks and have nothing to do,” said Roman. “It gives them something to do and it gives them a goal to compete in a powerlifting competition. We as Marines are taught to compete against one another from the first day of boot camp, and that’s what I want to give them a chance to do.”

There is, however, one catch to being a part of this team.

“I will not tolerate drug or alcohol use at all,” said Roman. “I am totally against drugs. If you are going to use steroids or drink alcohol then you have to go somewhere else. Steroids are illegal by Marine Corps Order and alcohol washes away vitamins, minerals and protein in the body that are necessary to training and getting stronger.”

One of the main priorities will be safety and proper technique.

“Most Marines go to the weight room or fitness center and don’t know how to use the machines, lift the weights properly, or they don’t know what kind of program they need to be doing, and they are either too shy or too embarrassed to ask for help,” said Roman. “I will also show them the proper equipment they will need to be safe.”

The 49-year-old retired Marine still enters competitions throughout the United States, most recently Jan. 15 in Livermore, Calif., at the USA Powerlifting Association’s Nor-Cal 2005 Winter Classic. Roman did his lifts completely unassisted, meaning no knee wraps, no wrist wraps, no powerlifting suit or bench press suit to give more support to the lifter.

“This competition was an opener for the Masters Championship May 20-22 in Palm Springs,” said Roman. “It goes to show that even with age you can still compete in this sport. There are guys that are in their 50s and 60s that still compete.”

A powerlifting competition consists of three different lifts: squat, bench press and deadlift. A powerlifter gets three attempts for each lift, with the heaviest lifts counting for their highest score. After each lift is complete the highest score from each of the three lifts is tallied to get the total score.

Workout sessions will be held weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the East Gym weight room, and will begin based on the response of those interested.

“I only want those who are dedicated and serious about doing this,” said Roman. “Powerlifters go to the gym to train because we have goals to meet. There isn’t time for messing around.”

If you are interested call 830-6986.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2005124193915/$file/powerlifting-lowres.jpg

David Roman attempts to squat 385.7 lbs on his second lift during the USA Powerlifting Associations Nor-Cal 2005 Winter Classic in Livermore, Calif. Roman, the base drug reduction demand coordinator, has been powerlifting competitively since 1994 and wants to start a drug– and alcohol–free powerlifting team at the Combat Center for Marines and Sailors that live in the barracks.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2005124194923/$file/powerlifting-2-low-res.jpg

David Roman, drug reduction demand coordinator, successfully lifts 413.2 pounds during his second lift of the dead lift portion at the USA Powerlifting Associations Nor-Cal 2005 Winter Classic in Livermore, Calif. Roman, who has been powerlifting competitively since 1994, wants to start a drug and alcohol free powerlifting team at the Combat Center for Marines and Sailors that live in the barracks.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

Ellie

MHollinTN08
02-19-08, 02:22 PM
I found this post the other day threw a search engine. I am sorry if it angers anyone for bring up a post that is so old. I started powerlifting my freshman year in high school. I have been to high school nationals twice, and making my third trip here in a few weeks. I was wondering does the Marine Corps still have a powerlifting team?