PDA

View Full Version : Parents cope with sonīs decision to join military

thedrifter
01-24-05, 02:58 PM
Parents cope with sonīs decision to join military <br />
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
Associated Press <br />
<br />
POLAND, Maine — Patricia McGillivary...

LivinSoFree
01-24-05, 04:22 PM
I've done a couple days here and there with my old recruiter helping him with prospects... it's interesting to see things from the other side of the table... Parents like this are tough, because you can't just dismiss them, most of their concerns are, on some level, valid, but then here I am saying "you're being ridiculous..." It really makes you take a step back and look at the larger picture.

Patty_McOorah
02-03-05, 03:33 AM
Things like were the reason that I went into the MSG Program before they could flag me as a recruiter. The first time that a really interested kid was held back from joining by his hippy parents, I would lose it. Of course my parents were very hesitant at first to let me enlist, but since then they have never been more proud. At least the father was a little open-minded.

fallafel
02-03-05, 10:50 AM
lucky for my recruiter i live in a military family, he didnt have to convonce anyone..
my mom still tells me im going to die everyday :p

Namvet67
02-03-05, 12:25 PM
Parents have never approved of sending their children off to war...it's good to have family support but it's not going to happen! It's always...let someone else send their kids into harms way! People go off to fight for a number of reasons..some right and some wrong...but it's their personal decision to make! If a young person was talked out of doing what they thought was right....that thought was occupy a part of their mind, the rest of their life....what if? What do you think that does to self confidence?

CrazyBrave83
02-03-05, 11:45 PM
My mother was a wreck when I went off to Parris Island...especially with my MOS being 0300...

I guess, to her luck, my (already bad) knee couldn't hack it.
On one token I'm glad she's at peace but every day I wish that things had went differently.

She's not happy, however, that I'm PTing the knee like crazy (after a 3rd surgery) and aiming to re-enlist sometime within the next 7 years.

It all comes down to what will make YOU as a person happy. It's not to be expected that most will understand why you want to become a Marine so adamantly.

Good article, thank you.

Tobes50
03-02-05, 02:58 PM
but it's their personal decision to make! If a young person was talked out of doing what they thought was right....that thought was occupy a part of their mind, the rest of their life...

Agreed 100%.

The way I look at it, from my prespective. I can either continue the road of least resistance and appease parents or whomever. Or do something that I really wanna do and that i deeply believe is the right choice. Once you step back from it, it's really not a hard choice.