PDA

View Full Version : Equal billing for Marines

Fred Pfeiffer
01-24-05, 01:23 PM
This may be old news here, but I just ran across this.

Semper Fi,
Fred
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N.C. congressman seeks equal billing for Marines

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION BEAUFORT, SC(Jan. 21, 2005) -- A name change could soon be in store for the Department of the Navy, as the U. S. Congress prepares to examine the relationship between the Navy and Marine Corps.

North Carolina Third District Congressman Walter B. Jones, introduced House Resolution 34 to the United States House of Representatives, Jan. 4. The bill would rename the Department of the Navy to be the Department of the Navy and Marine Corps. Jones’ district includes Camp Lejeune and Marine Corps Air Stations New River and Cherry Point.

The National Security Act of 1947 identifies the Marine Corps, Navy, Army and Air Force as services with legal missions set by the Constitution. The act defines the mission of the Marine Corps as a service trained, organized and equipped for offensive amphibious employment and as a force in readiness.

The Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1986 acknowledged the roles of each service’s commanding officers as equal members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. If the Commandant of the Marine Corps carries the same weight as the Chief of Naval Operations, the Corps deserves equal billing with the Navy, according to Jones.

“There isn’t a subordinate relationship between the CNO and CMC,” Jones said. “They are equivalent parts of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and it is time that the Department of the Navy recognizes their equal status.”

The proposal is intended to acknowledge the large role Marines play in the U.S. military, not to alter the relationship of the Navy and Marine Corps, according to Jones.

“This legislation is not about changing the responsibilities of the secretary, reallocating resources between the Navy and Marine Corps or altering the course of the mission at hand,” Jones said. “Rather it is about showing the nation the true meaning of the Department and recognizing the overall importance of the Marine Corps to our national security.”

When Jones takes his argument to the House floor, he will carry an enlarged copy of a Silver Star citation with him. The Silver Star was posthumously awarded to Sgt. Michael E. Bitz, crew chief, 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, who was killed in An Nasiriyah, Iraq in 2003. Bitz’s widow gave Jones a copy of the citation, which carries the Department of the Navy flag and ‘Secretary of the Navy’ heading.

“Nothing in the official heading is about the Marine Corps,” Jones said. “I think about his children or any Marine’s children when they read daddy’s orders. Wouldn’t it be nice if it said ‘Secretary of the Navy and Marine Corps’ and included the flag of both services?”

The resolution was introduced with the backing of 24 other House representatives, or co-sponsors, and is now undergoing review by the House Armed Services Committee, which Jones has a seat on. South Carolina’s 2nd District (which includes the Tri-Command area) representative Joe Wilson also sits on the House Armed Services Committee. The committee will review the proposal and argument before passing it on to the House representatives to be voted on.
Jones had previously introduced legislation that would change the name of the Navy’s leader to be the Secretary of the Navy and Marine Corps. The Fleet Reserve Association, a professional military association representing past, present and future sea service members has already endorsed the current resolution.

“I am encouraged by the overwhelming support I have received for this change from so many members of our armed forces,” Jones said. “With their backing, I will continue to work diligently to see this bill through the House. I am committed to making the unity between the Navy and Marine Corps a known fact. They have operated as one entity for 229 years. This legislation will ensure the department they share exemplifies that fact.”

While the name change wouldn’t make any impact on leadership, budgets or missions, it would help shine more of the spotlight on the Marine Corps as military service of its own as opposed to a stepchild of the Navy.

“It’s about time,” said Sgt. Maj. Gary J. Rivard, squadron sergeant major, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron.

mrbsox
01-24-05, 05:18 PM
Saw it in the news just recently... what a crock of sh!t.

Hasn't the Gov. got better things to waste it's (our) time and money on,,,, like maybe BORDER SECURITY !!

mrbsox
01-24-05, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Fred Pfeiffer
This may be old news here, but I just ran across this.

Semper Fi,
Fred
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the name change wouldn’t make any impact on leadership, budgets or missions, it would help shine more of the spotlight on the Marine Corps as military service of its own as opposed to a stepchild of the Navy.

“It’s about time,” said Sgt. Maj. Gary J. Rivard, squadron sergeant major, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron.

We don't need a name change to "SHINE". We don't need a 'spotlight'

We are the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS.

That says it all !!

greensideout
01-24-05, 08:25 PM
I don't like what I see here. Change---G-U-R-R-R---I hate change! What the heII is wrong with being the Navy stepchild? The next thing you know, the squids will be trying to fall into ranks with us---G-U-R-R-R---KEEP IT LIKE IT IS! It has worked for 229 years and now they want to fix it?

The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy and that's the way we like it!

The Men's Department! :D

greensideout
01-24-05, 08:36 PM
I forgot to end with, "What a dumb a$$ idea!!

You are right Sox, he needs to find something usefull to do!

TRLewis
01-24-05, 08:57 PM
But if it gives the Marine Corps equal status with the Navy, would that not allow our commadant to press the navy for a larger budget? Don't know about the rest of you, but I heard the phrase "not enough money in the budget..." probably every phase of training i went thru.

greensideout
01-24-05, 09:21 PM
I understand what you are saying TRLewis but doing more with less has always been a part of "our" pride.

When I was in the ENTIRE Marine Corps budget was less then the Air Force budget for their Special Services.

snipowsky
01-24-05, 10:16 PM
Why don't they worry more about Veterans issues or Homeland Security! This is a bunch of bull! Congress and the Senate need to get their heads out their asses!

semperfiman
01-24-05, 10:21 PM
just create a seperate Dept of the Marine Corps

ALSEUT
01-25-05, 05:03 AM
I have to agree with mrbsox "United States Marine Corps" what else needs to be said. We have always out shined the other branches we are just to busy to stand in the spot light very long like the Army.

TRLewis
01-25-05, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by greensideout
I understand what you are saying TRLewis but doing more with less has always been a part of "our" pride.

When I was in the ENTIRE Marine Corps budget was less then the Air Force budget for their Special Services.

pride is nice, but i would love to have more money for training and equipment. its already a high level of training, and those standards will continue to be met NCO's and SNCO's will make sure of that.

and having more money to get the osprey right, and better base housing. you know as well as i do the corps dont give up anything until its running on its last leg that's already been repaired 8 times. we had a humvee with a hole thru the altenator, we told top in motor t, he asked, "does it work?" and it did so he said i see no reason to replace it.

another one of my *****es/complaints is alot of guys sign up to travel, but when you hear not enough money in the budget to go train anywhere overseas, that sucks. I know a few people who got really turned off by being stationed in okinawa, and then hawaii and they spent their whole time in the corps on an island and got out.

al20852
01-25-05, 12:33 PM
When I was younger one of my favorite TV shows was MacGuyver, who could get himself out of any situation with a paperclip and chewing gum. I've always felt that one of the things that made the Marines special was that we didn't have the best equipment, or the best facilities, or the best overseas posts, but we had the best people, and could do more with less than anyone else. We just figured it out, and got the most with the least. We've done that for centuries now. I don't care a fig if they rename the Department of the Navy. What makes the Marines special has nothing to do with that.

Namvet67
01-25-05, 12:34 PM
TRLewis...sometimes less is better....Improvise, overcome and adapt is the Marine Corps way. More money for training and equipment...LOL..If the troups are not *****ing...there is something wrong. No..leave the navy where it is and just get the Marines where they need to be..on time and ready to fight.