PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a new Marine

aktual
01-23-05, 11:48 PM
I'm a recent Marine graduate, and I posted a day or so ago that I was going to ask some questions I have about School of Infantry at Camp Pendleton, California before I go in a couple of days. So here goes:

If you don't wish to read all the questions I listed, here's one general question to summarize them all up-- What's life like at SOI for an infantry Marine-in-training?

-What's a typical day like?
-How much free time and liberty?
-What's chow-time like?
-What are commander/trainee relations like? Strict like DI-to-recruit or relatively more relaxed, like Professional-to-Professional?
-What's there to do on base during liberty? Recreation spots?
-How much civilian clothing will I need to bring?
-What other kind of places are there to buy things (clothing, books) besides the Marine Exchange?
-What is the likelihood of my possessions (clothing, cd-player, cellphone, books, etc) that I keep in my wall-locker/footlocker getting damaged?
-How's mail handled? Can we receive packages?
-How many weeks exactly is training?
-Do we get any leave immediately after completion of SOI?
-Where do we go next? Are we assigned to a unit over in Iraq right away?
-If I have a significant other, what kind of opportunities will I have to see her during the next year (that is, the time period following my entrance into the fleet forces)?
-Any financial tips for an unexperienced, green Marine?
-Anything in general I should be warned about?

Also, my ultimate goal is to join Force Recon-- If there are any Recon Marines reading this, any advice and guidance you could offer would most definitely not go unappreciated (that is, advice on how to get into Force Recon and what it takes physically). Thanks.

Thanks for any replies to this. I might not have time to respond to anyone before my flight in a couple of days, so thanks in advance. I feel priviliged to even be asking these questions :) Hoorah!

MillRatUSMC
01-24-05, 12:37 AM
http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/soi/studentwelcm.htm

This one is from Camp Lejeune SOI, wasn't able to open the link for SOI at Camp Pendleton.
The training schedules must be about the same.
You'll be spending a lot of time out in the field.
About liberty and free time, some going through will have to answer that question.
Was once a Recon Marine, I think now like back than , you have to volunteer for a Recon screening.
If you pass that screening, Recon will send you to Recon School on graduation you will tha carry an additional MOS of 0321- Recon Marine.
Force Recon, the last I heard is seeking Marines with some time in the Corps.
One requirement, you have to be a good swimmer, especially for Force Recon.
Also, you have to be highly motivated, because some of this training will require that motivation.

I have a page on the web,with links to schools and Marine Corps subjects.

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/index.html

Hope this is of some help.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

yellowwing
01-24-05, 04:13 AM
If you are recomeded due to outstanding peformance, there will be through background investivigatioin. Just a formailty.

HardJedi
01-24-05, 07:53 AM
Wow, thats ALOT of questions, and hard for alot of us to answer all of them now, cause most of us went throough infantry training ten years ago or more, and things change, ya know? The one thing that i am sure is constant though? about that "signifigant other"? you seeing her will be very sporadic over the entire time you are enlisted as an infantry Marine. Thats just the way it is.

Once in the fleet, there were times when we would get off at night , 17:30 or so, every day for a few weeks, and times when every other day we were ouot in the field, times when in the field from 1-4 weeks, and of course, 6 month to year long deployments. Thats just the way it is

Also, Infantry school instructors, while they do not ( or rather did not) act like DI'S, they are STILL instructors, and they are not going to ASK you to do anything. It's STILL do what you are told, and do it NOW! Though in non training situations, they will joke around a bit.

as far as civi clothes? one or two sets is PLENTY for infantry school.

financial tips for a young Marine. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ON CREDIT! if you don't have the cash, do without.

We USED to be able to recieve packages.

You've got the whol town of Oceqn SIde to buy things other than the PX.

Also Escondido, Del-MAr, Sand Diego. Lots of places

gotta get going now, sorry couldn't answer all of your ?'s but maybe later. ( when i get back from classes)