PDA

View Full Version : Redeye/Stinger/LAAM Bn./LAAD Bn./MASS

lucien2
01-23-05, 10:05 AM
Looking for any Marines who served in this MOS or these units. Also, I was interested in organizing a reunion in the future. PM me for more info.

CPL Lucien Morin
Former Marine

jinelson
01-23-05, 12:34 PM
I was with MASS-3 1stMAW on Hill-327 and we moved in there after 1st Bn LAAM 3rd MARDIV moved out for redeployment back to the world. We actually took over many of their digs in I CORPS.

Jim

lucien2
01-23-05, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jinelson
I was with MASS-3 1stMAW on Hill-327 and we moved in there after 1st Bn LAAM 3rd MARDIV moved out for redeployment back to the world. We actually took over many of their digs in I CORPS.

Jim

Thanks, what was your MOS? I was a Redeye Gunner, 1978-1984.

Lucien

01-23-05, 03:04 PM
Occupied the lower (east) side of 327 '65-66. Was not attached to LAAM, was H&HS-1 Radio Relay. Nice view. When I first got there we didn't even have wire up. Sat every night with 'Intrusion Detector' headset on. Glad we had it up later.

Steve

jinelson
01-23-05, 03:43 PM
Lucien

I was a 3531 then in Motor -T and and resupplied and supported all of our ASRT's on Hill-327, Monkey Mountain, Marble Moutain, Dong Ha, Quang Tri, Cam Lo, Con Thien, FSB birmingham, the rock pile, Chu Lai, Khe Shanh, Vandergrift, Camp Carroll, Cua Viet, and C-2 on the DMZ. I was with MASS-3 in January 1970-1971 on my second tour.

Steve your right it was a heck of a view Danang to the east and happy valley to the west with LZ-13 dead on top. It seemed like you could see the whole country from up there.

Semper Fi
Jim

lucien2
01-24-05, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by jinelson
Lucien

I was a 3531 then in Motor -T and and resupplied and supported all of our ASRT's on Hill-327, Monkey Mountain, Marble Moutain, Dong Ha, Quang Tri, Cam Lo, Con Thien, FSB birmingham, the rock pile, Chu Lai, Khe Shanh, Vandergrift, Camp Carroll, Cua Viet, and C-2 on the DMZ. I was with MASS-3 in January 1970-1971 on my second tour.

Steve your right it was a heck of a view Danang to the east and happy valley to the west with LZ-13 dead on top. It seemed like you could see the whole country from up there.

Semper Fi
Jim

Glad you made it back.

SF

Lucien

01-24-05, 09:53 AM
The view was great, but sometimes the jets would be a bit close on approach. One day some jet jockeys came up on a motorcycle and told us they used our hooch as a guidepost for landing. LOL.
Foggy mornings were sometimes a bit scarry, they would come by pretty low. We could hear them and smell them about the same time.

I can also remember the 8"ers SE of the bottom of the hill (a nice way to wake up in the middle of the night), AWA the bullets from the range overhead during daytime.

Great food there also.

Take care-Steve

barryjh
02-16-05, 11:34 AM
was with 1st laam bn 69--spent nights on 327 occassionally--was there when ammo dump blew up--was in comm but didn't fix many radios--i found out it is not wise to have arguments with your top shirt --live and learn