PDA

View Full Version : Meet a Beiruit Marine today

TRLewis
01-22-05, 11:33 AM
It started out in the gym, I hate talking to people while I'm working out. This guy notices my shirt i got from k-bay, he is respectful enough not to speak while I'm working out. We meet up later on in the sauna, and he asks were you stationed at k-bay, and we started swapping stories, its amazing how little changes in policy in the 20 years that seperated us.

We talked for a good 30 minutes, people came in and out. After I got out we were the only ones in the locker room and we got to talking about me shipping out on the 8th. And then he said I want to tell you something that few people knew. I was in beiruit, now every Marines first reaction would be to ask 'at that time?' and he said he was one of the 17 survivors.

He had a shirt on the whole time I had seen him, after he said this he lifted up his shirt to show the scars he had. Undescribable is the best way to put it, the Marine had both lungs collapse on him that day not to mention his other wounds which I cannot even remember.

It was a moving experience, what moved me more was that here he was battered, scarred(sp), and he was still at the gym. We exchanged emails, I told him about the site, and we hugged. Now I'm not all about showing affection, but I'll hug any Marine. Well except for maybe a female, I can see it now I hug her and she slips the sexual harrasment papers in my backpocket. j/k

HardJedi
01-22-05, 02:22 PM
well, consoder yourself privileged then. you tell heim from me"thanks" thanks for his service, and there are ALOT of us out here who still remember him and all our fallen brothers from that day.