PDA

View Full Version : run time

iroc3000cc
01-21-05, 09:16 PM
i ship out in june and would like to bring down my run time how would i go about doing this??

schoolcircle
01-21-05, 09:18 PM
Keep running...LOL

iroc3000cc
01-21-05, 09:22 PM
thank you

Nagalfar
01-21-05, 11:06 PM
Uphill and downhill with a pack, mixed with cardio workouts to up your oxygen exchange rate if you are really serious..

Pel
01-22-05, 03:59 PM
grab a back pack, put 50 pounds in it, strap a water hydration pack ontop and start running 3 miles. Thats what I do. Dont really need the water.... just keeps my pee clear :) Ive gotten my run to 25 minutes with that 60 pounds, now when i take it off and run 3 my time is 19:23.

KlingonOpera
01-22-05, 04:17 PM
Does anyone use an exercise bike? No gym and we're gonna be snowed in here for a while.

Underleft
01-22-05, 04:49 PM
Sprint for 30 seconds then jog for 1 minute. keep repeating

MAC
01-22-05, 05:49 PM
smoking isn't a good idea, either.

law_student
01-22-05, 07:10 PM
The other day at the gym, I was talking to a retired Marine Colonel that had been a CO at MCRD San Diego. We were talking about running and speed workouts. He mentioned this one:

1. Continue to run 3-4 miles every morning, 6 days a week.

2. 3 alternating days per week (e.g. Mon, Wed and Fri),in the afternoon, run fast miles. That is, go to a track, warm up and then run a mile at a faster pace than you would ordinarily run during the 3-mile PFT run. Then walk one lap, then run another fast mile, walk one lap and run a third fast mile. Work on getting those fast mile times as low as possible.

Basically, the Colonel was talking about interval training. Your recruiter may have some good tips also. Nagalfar mentions hill training, which is good, but don't overtrain yourself into shinsplints (the impact going downhill is increased). In terms of form, you can increase your speed by either: A) increasing your number of strides or B) increasing your stride length.

Most elite runners use between 90-95 strides per minute (e.g. the right foot strikes the ground 90-95 times). My advise is to get a book on running and train smarter. I like the following books:
1. Going Long: Training for Ironman Distance Triathlons, Joel Friel
2. The Competitive Runner's Handbook: Bob Glover
3. ChiRunning, Danny Dreyer

KlingonOpera, you can get a good cardio workout on a bike, but it won't do that much for your run time. There is no substitute for hitting the pavement, but a treadmill is the next best thing in the winter. There are some major differences in treadmill running.
1. The moving platform requires more use of ankle muscles for stability.
2. With the track moving towards you, there is a higher rate of impact on the knee.

Pel
01-22-05, 09:35 PM
Klingonopera exercise bike will do nothing... thats the air force.

iroc3000cc
01-23-05, 11:39 AM
Thank you all you have really helped a lot. and i really like the advice from the 3 sergeants and the corpral. thank you again.

Charles

lucien2
01-23-05, 11:50 AM
Run 3 miles, time yourself and keep improving your times. Like I tell all people waiting to ship, don't worry so much about the physical end of this, just worry about how strong you are mentally!

MelloYello
01-23-05, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I agree with Lucien2. The last time I was timed for my mile and half run was 14:40 which was 3 months ago. Now all I do is run 1 to 2 a morning or walk 3 miles then do 10-20 sprints for 50yds.

Speed is not that important to me as of right now. I just want endurance because speed will come when I need it.

Pel
01-24-05, 06:23 PM
MelloYello you would probably be alot better of getting that time down though... From how its been told to me, at boot camp during runs there are often two groups, the rabbits, and the turtles. The rabbits run hard and pt, The turtles run tell they drop pt tell they drop and than pt again tell they drop. I think it would be better to be a rabbit.

jay2120
01-26-05, 09:09 AM
Pel the other Marines in here are giving good advice. The physical part is not as big as the mental. Work on your endurance yes your time is a little high but believe me those Drill Instructors will put you in shape. Mello if you are doing all the running you say you are your time should be dropped to around 12 now. Also when your out there running with everyone you will run faster and push yourself more. As for the bike it is better then nothing. If your snowed in and can't run then yes get on the bike it will help keep the blood flowing and your legs moving. If your desperate run up and down the stairs in your house. Anything you can do is better than just sitting around. Believe me and the other Marines in here don't sweat the physical end as much get mentally prepared.

SuNmAN
01-26-05, 10:24 PM
Purchase a weighted vest and run. its far more comfortable than a backpack.

My run time isn't excellent...its about 19:30 tops

TRLewis
01-26-05, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Pel
Klingonopera exercise bike will do nothing... thats the air force.

You have opened your mouth before learning about the subject.

An exercise bike is an excellent way to keep from injurying your knee. As it works both sides of the knee and not just one side while running. But it should not replace your running.

Pel
01-28-05, 09:42 PM
Snowed in... meh. The grand river has frozen over for the first time in many many years more than 15... were sitting in snow. And yet we run outside on the snow coverd sidewalks... What was it? if it aint raining we aint training? Here its if it aint snowing we aint training. Gotta love the cold. And when you can run a 10:30 in the freezing cold, torture for the lungs imagine the same set of lungs when they hit warm air again that will be down in the low 9's