PDA

View Full Version : Am I a veteran?

crate78
01-21-05, 08:59 PM
I'm new to this board, and if no one on this forum has an answer, could you direct me to the appropriate forum?

My question is this: I was on active duty in the Corps during the inclusive dates for both the Korean War and the Viet Nam War, but I wasn't in country in either war.

I can't even remember how, but the subject came up on another board I frequent involving the Corps, and to my surprise someone told me the Corps considers me a veteran of both wars.

The reasoning was, 1. It was not my decision to not be in country, and as long as I was ready, willing, and able to go if ordered, I was considered a veteran of both wars, and 2. By being on active duty in any capacity I was contributing to the overall team effort and therefore would be considered a veteran.

Gentlemen, what say ye? I've never represented myself as a veteran of either war, nor am I about to represent myself as something I'm not. Just thought it would be interesting to have an authoratative answer one way or the other. If the Corps does consider me a veteran of either or both wars, I may have it put on my grave marker some day. Then again I might not. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

(During the time between Korea and 'Nam, however, I WAS involved in a couple of Suez crises and a major confrontation between Nationalist China on Taiwan and Red China on the Mainland over the ownership and occupation of the Qemoy Islands in the Taiwan Strait.)

Semper Fi,
crate

TRLewis
01-21-05, 09:06 PM
I am pretty sure you have to be in country to get it. Call me crazy but I think that is how it is.

schoolcircle
01-21-05, 09:07 PM
You sound like a hard charger to me. Don't be so modest in my opinion you are a veteran but, more importantly you are a MARINE!

greensideout
01-21-05, 09:24 PM
I'm not a Vietnam era vet. But I served in Vietnam.

Does that help?---lol

The fact is, as you have told it, is that you served during that time of war and made a contibution to the war. You were therefore awared the National Defense Medal.

If you were there, in Korea and Vietnam and earned the campaign medals of that service, you would have been a veteran of those wars. If not --- you are not considered a veteran of those wars.

I hope that helps.

Semper Fi

MillRatUSMC
01-21-05, 10:27 PM
Definition of a &quot;veteran&quot;; <br />
Veterans are individuals who served our country in the armed forces who were honorably discharged and/or who became ineligible for active service due to a disability...

top1371
01-21-05, 10:48 PM
My opinion:

Veteran - yes. And every right to be proud of it!

Veteran of the Vietnam War - no.
Veteran of the Korea War - no.

I was on active duty for Desert Storm. But I did not deploy. I am not a Desert Storm Vet and can not / would not claim to be.

Semper Fi,

crate78
01-22-05, 03:16 PM
My stretch on Taiwan was in VMF-314, MAG-11, from August, 1958 to April, 1959. When we first got there, we were living in a warehouse on the waterfront in Kaohsiung. On September 8, no less than Chairman Mao himself said any Marines left on Tiawan on the 11th would die on Taiwan. We ignored him and continued to move onto a Nationalist Chinese Air Force base by PingTung.

On the 10th, Mao gave us a two day extension and made the deadline the 13th. We continued to ingore him and never heard any more about his threat.

I heard recently there was a ribbon for that gig. Any truth to it?

SF
crate

USMC-FO
01-22-05, 03:36 PM
Well you're most certainly a vet, just sounds though not a combat vet, but that does not negate the vet designation.

As for the ribbon for your time on Tiawan: and I am guessing here so you'd need to check further, but the ribbon may be the "Armed Forces Expiditionary Medal" This award is used as a sort of catch all for numerous events for which no specific award was struck.

With two hash marks I assume you were something other than a Pvt. so you can add that to your profile.

Welcome aboard !

crate78
01-22-05, 04:02 PM
I didn't put a rank on my profile, because I'm not sure what I was. I was an E-5 Staff Sergeant, until they changed the rank structure. As one of the junior SSGT's in the Corps, I wasn't picked up for E-6 before a July, 1963 deadline, so for four months before I got out (for other reasons) I reverted to E-5 Sergeant.

However, in reality, the only thing that changed was the first "S" was dropped off my rank. Nothing else changed. I still lived in the SNCO quarters, ate in the Staff mess, went to the Staff club, same job responsibilities, etc. In the unit I was in at the time, H&MS-33, Staff NCO's stood Squadron Duty Officer because of a lack of commissioned officers. My name stayed on the SDO roster.

From discussing it with several others in the same boat, I understand there was a lot of local interpretation on it. We all thought we should have stayed E-5 Staff Sergeants until we were picked up for E-6. As it was, we were kind of out in la-la land, not knowing if we were Staff NCO's or not.

My feeling was that as long as I was assigned the responsibilities of a Staff Sergeant, I should have kept the rank, regardless of pay grade. After all, my warrant, which I still have, says "Staff Sergeant, Permanent", (no pay grade stated); it doesn't say "Staff Sergeant until they screw with the rank structure".

SF
crate

greensideout
01-22-05, 06:53 PM
The same thing on rank happened to one of my D.I.'s while I was in boot. He was a E-4 SGT and wasn't happy when the CPL with crossrifles went on. He treated us like it was our fault! We paided the price for that change---lol.

It would be nice if you could find the "old" rank and put it with your signiture. The "salt" would look good!

crate78
01-22-05, 10:13 PM
Good idea! I may play with it. I still have my dress blues with the "old" SSGT stripes. I might try taking a pic with my digital camera, sizing it, and seeing if I could enter it onto my profile.

SF
crate

Catz1611
01-22-05, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by crate78
Good idea! I may play with it. I still have my dress blues with the "old" SSGT stripes. I might try taking a pic with my digital camera, sizing it, and seeing if I could enter it onto my profile.

SF
crate HEY YOU!! don't I know you from someplace?? LOL!;)
really interesting Topic! I've learned a little something new today! :)

Good to see ya!
:bunny:

crate78
01-22-05, 11:06 PM
That user name does look familiar!

Namvet67
01-24-05, 09:09 AM
Veteran? Without a doubt...welcome aboard crate78.

enviro
01-24-05, 09:40 AM
Yeah - I think the profiles should allow the pre-1959 rank structure without cross rifles. We have Sergeant chevrons without the cross rifles, lets add the others!

I feel for you crate - I have several Leatherneck magazines from 1957-1960 I got from an uncle and the rank structure was a major upheaval for so many.

crate78
01-24-05, 01:20 PM
Everyone thought the Corps screwed it up, compared to the other branches. David Shoup was Commandant then, and it was one of his major bungles. I won't take anything away from his combat accomplishments, but I think the Corps had better Commandants.

I'll give Shoup credit for one thing. His predecessor, General Pate, came out with a "squad drill" to replace the LPM. It was a nightmare compared to the troop and stomp we all had learned in boot camp. Shoup's first official act as Commandant was to scrap the squad drill and reinstate the LPM.

BTW, on my original post, I wasn't asking if I was a veteran, period, just whether I was a veteran of Korea and 'Nam. Guess I could have worded it better.

SF
crate

Fred Pfeiffer
01-24-05, 01:49 PM
Check out this URL for 1950's USMC rank:

http://www.mujweb.cz/kultura/usmc/ranks02E.htm

yellowwing
01-24-05, 02:55 PM
One of my Canadian Veteran buddies tersely corrected me once, "I am not a Korean Veteran, I am a Korean War Veteran!" And I never made that mistake again.

Later on he was kidding me about it, "Do I look like I own a convenience store?" :banana:

JAMarine
01-24-05, 04:32 PM
Did you ever get your original question answered?

Let me know.