PDA

View Full Version : Military creases

1recon
01-20-05, 10:38 PM
Does any one know a good way to put creases into your shirt, I took my uniforms to the dry cleaners and they screwed up the creases. I can't seem to get them right, can anyone help me out?

greensideout
01-20-05, 10:53 PM
You are kidding, right?

Take them back and tell them where you want the creases to be. duh?

LivinSoFree
01-20-05, 11:26 PM
I've had the same problems. Problem is, if you're at a cleaner's not close to base, they don't have a clue, nor do they care. I explained it in great detail to the two 17 year old blonde girls working the counter the last time I went... no avail... I had creases all over my trash.

hrscowboy
01-20-05, 11:58 PM
ever hear of ironing the damn things yourself . Many times i ironed mine and used a **** load of faultless starch..

yellowwing
01-21-05, 12:43 AM
Ask the closest NCO or SNCO living near you where they get their's done.

If that's not possible, talk to the manager/owner and make sure to tell them:

1. You will be a regular and often customer;

2. And explain in detail what is required of him. Make him repeat it back to you to your satisfaction, be polite but firm, its your money and reputation;

3. Make a trial run of one shirt, pick it up when you know the manager/owner is there. If its still f*cked, don't pay but explain again.

4. Good luck. Just make sure that you don't have a 0730 formation and expect the dry cleaner to fix it at 1800 the night before. The Company Gunny won't accept that!

LivinSoFree
01-21-05, 01:02 AM
Hahaha... true that. I'm more than willing to iron it myself, but as a matter of time, I'd also be willing to pay someone with professional equipment to do the job right.

mrbsox
01-21-05, 08:25 AM
Mama'san grade starch:

1 part liguid starch
1 part water

Soak shirt (utilitiy trousers, handkerchiefs, skivies... what ever) in solution. Wring out.

Hang to dry. Alternate is to 'fold' along the crease lines, and lay flat till dry.

Iron the Fk out of it.
Wear the shirt down to the cleaners and show them what a UNITED STATES MARINE wants his stuff to look like.
Give 'mouth to mouth' to the blond when she see's you in uniform.
Get shirts done free !! :banana:

marinemom
01-21-05, 08:50 AM
Another hint to go along with Terry's starch recipe which I used for a lot of years on non-sewn pleated shirts ( yes, gentlemen, some Marines now wear shirts that have sewn pleats!), use a non-steam iron set on the lowest temperature possible. Just enough heat to "set" the pleat, not enough to make the starch "show" on the pleat.

Second, check the label for fabric content - if the shirt is 100% cotton, you can use the starch and low heat irion method. If the shirt has ANY man-made fiber content, do not use that method.
Follow yellowwing's instructions - or, if there is a military base near you - go to the base dry cleaner - they never screw those pleats up.

You want to send the shirts to Virginia - I'll give you a good price per shirt, lol.

lucien2
01-21-05, 11:14 AM
Mama-san used to do mine overseas, and stateside I did my own cause I couldn't trust the cleaners.

LivinSoFree
01-21-05, 11:17 AM
Wear the shirt down to the cleaners and show them what a UNITED STATES MARINE wants his stuff to look like.
Give 'mouth to mouth' to the blond when she see's you in uniform.

Y'know... I never did think about that one... shameless... demonstrative... effective. Now THAT'S Marine Corps Problem Solving for you!

kentmitchell
01-24-05, 06:55 AM
We got ours starched and pressed at the base laundry (stateside and overseas) and pressed them again before wearing. This included utilities and khakis.
For you boots, khaki uniforms were cotton khaki, not the stuff they issue today. They weren't allowed off-base. If we wore a summer uniform off-base it was the tropical worsted khakis, probably the best looking uniform any military organization ever had.
You could shave with the military creases in trops.
Khakis? They looked great, all starched and pressed, but then you had to move and they went downhill fast.

LivinSoFree
01-25-05, 11:31 PM
Just finished putting together a set of Blue Charlies for tomorrow... gotta go talk to some high school kids. Maybe I'll stop by the cleaners after I'm done... :marine:

LivinSoFree
01-25-05, 11:33 PM
PS- Marinemom, you'd probably be easier to deal with than driving 3 hours each way to Lejune... I might take you up on that one!

snipowsky
01-25-05, 11:44 PM
ROFL... Ha ha! Tell em GSO!
Originally posted by 1recon
Does any one know a good way to put creases into your shirt, I took my uniforms to the dry cleaners and they screwed up the creases. I can't seem to get them right, can anyone help me out?

Improvise, adapt and overcome devildog!

rlbhersh
01-30-05, 12:52 AM
I will give you a trick from when I was at recruiters school for nice sharp creases..
Take a candle and from the inside of the shirt you rub the candle along the crease. Then you turn the shirt around and iron it along the crease.. The wax from the candle will give you a sharp and outstanding crease that will remain until you wash it and do it all over again.

1recon
01-30-05, 06:33 PM
that is great I never even thought of that. Thank you.

Catz1611
01-30-05, 11:22 PM
When I was in I used to use Starch, Until I had a SNCO tell me that all you needed was Steam..ever since then when I want to get a sharp crease I just let the steam go.. works for me. :bunny:

garryh123
01-30-05, 11:42 PM
I did all my cleaning and creases myself. Didn't trust anyone else to get it right. Used magic sizing(spelling), better than starch

Old Marine
02-01-05, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by LivinSoFree
I've had the same problems. Problem is, if you're at a cleaner's not close to base, they don't have a clue, nor do they care. I explained it in great detail to the two 17 year old blonde girls working the counter the last time I went... no avail... I had creases all over my trash.

You have to remember that these two females were blond......
and were only there for the weekly check.