PDA

View Full Version : M14's

RLeon
01-20-05, 07:53 PM
The Army seems to be doing a good job of intergrating the greatest battle rifle ever(M14) with their frontline troops. What's the Corps waiting for??!!...yeah I know we got the DMR, but it's not the same thing...maybe one of you active guys got the scoop. Carry on.

jinelson
01-20-05, 08:33 PM
I agree it is the combat smoke pole that I qualed with in boot camp and I have never fired a finer more accurate and dependable piece since then. When I got to Viet Nam I was issued an M16 and asked the armoror who made this joke, Mattel or Remco does the Corps think every boy needs a Remco toy?

greensideout
01-20-05, 09:06 PM
M14 or the M-1 Garand?

I would guess it depends a lot on what we grew up on.

The M-1 was fast to load, had a more powerful round and a stronger stock.

The M-14 held more rounds and the .308 cal was more accurate.

Flip a coin, both were and are great battle weapons!

Had both, and my pick is---you guess---:D

jinelson
01-20-05, 09:57 PM
Dont leave us hanging Bro

jinelson
01-20-05, 10:06 PM
Come on greensideout I checked your profile and your just a few years ahead of me in Corps time and we share the same birth date LOL so how about coming clean and say it was the M14?

I also noted that our paths made the same duty stations all the way except for LTA Santa Ana but I made many trips there because I was PCS'd at MCAS El Toro.

Jim

greensideout
01-20-05, 10:22 PM
A few years?---LOL---Not at that age.

Went through Boot with the M-1 and carried one in Nam. It was 1962 before I received an M-14 and qualified with it.

Much later I returned to the military and had an M-16 for 4 years.

Interesting that our Corps time was much the same in duty stations.

M-1 Jim, lol

jinelson
01-20-05, 10:31 PM
Dang Bro ya busted me good Semper Fi, now I have some extra military instruction to perform or maybe rocks and shoals

yellowwing
01-20-05, 10:36 PM
"rocks and shoals"? That tickles a distant memory from our old Gunny's and Top's sea tales. Can't remember what they said about that. WTF?

jinelson
01-20-05, 10:41 PM
Wing that was pre NJP and UCMJ, but you have a great memory I only heard tell too from my senior staff NCO's when I was a boot.

hrscowboy
01-20-05, 10:55 PM
preferred weapon M-14 thats what i went into boot with and qualified with got to nam and gave me a damn M-16 plastic sob

jinelson
01-20-05, 11:00 PM
Go Cowboy but its all what your raised with I reckon, I am surprised that we still even issue the M16

MillRatUSMC
01-20-05, 11:14 PM
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/65D32D8D23AC76D285256E8F00520B3D?opendocument

The M14 isn't the only weapon making a come-back.

I always had a love for the M14, as that was the rifle that I taught recruits to shoot.
I hated when I had to give it up for the Mattel toy rifle.
When the terrorist are shooting at you with AK 47, we best have a high caliber rifle to respond with.
IMHO
The other weapon coming back, should put a big hurt on the terrorists.
Could a 106 be next, direct fire weapon that would really put a big hurt on those butt holes.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
01-20-05, 11:16 PM
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20045911053/$file/bloop8lr.jpg

Here's that baby..."Big Hurt" on the terrorists butts.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

yellowwing
01-20-05, 11:18 PM
We really are Marines, aren't we? Even at our age and now different lives, we still have ingrained, "What is the best way to close with and destroy the enemy?"

Semper Fi :marine:

jinelson
01-20-05, 11:49 PM
Heck Yeah Bro I have a couple flicks of me in 68 with my blooper and S&W .38 getting ready to take a convoy up north but can't figure out how to post em here on ths thread if anyone can help me I'm all ears And yes I read the directions and I am a computer cripple. Help brother down!

jo1753
01-20-05, 11:57 PM
I've had both the M16 and the M14........ I choose the M14 hands down...........Sure it was a bit heavier weapon. And it didn't spit out the rounds the M16 did. But what good is alot of small led coming out of a barrel if............For one they are not anywheres as accorate or have the knowk down power. Not to even mention they were not at all dependable in the Bush.....They were a maintenance nightmare in those conditions. I hate to say this but the AK was 5 times the weapon the M16 was. My son is now serving And he says the new version of the M16 is a totally diferent weapon then we had to use. I loved pretty much everything about the M14. And fired expert with it 3 years. The 45 now thats another story...........lolol

jinelson
01-21-05, 12:56 AM
Right on and may God bless and watch over your son

hrscowboy
01-21-05, 03:40 AM
rock and shoals i havent heard that since i left bootcamp damn what a memory..

Subic76
01-21-05, 07:23 PM
M14, the one I liked the most.

http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL242/891303/1890296/25507394.jpg

FREEBIRD
01-21-05, 08:49 PM
SUBIC76????

I spent some time in Subic, loved every minute of it........

M14 or M16 ??????????

Bootcamp with M14, best weapon I ever fired....
Overseas with M16........light weight, fast, easy to lock and load, great weapon for me also. BUT!!! I was on a air base not in the bush although we were still in the sand we never had the problems with the m16's like the 0300's did, most of the time we just carried 45's, like I said I was in the Air Wing, kind of hard to do your job with a M16 around your neck. Only time we carried M16's was on guard duty at night and perimeter defense when we had to go outside the gates.
But if anybody is counting votes mine would go with the AK-47, better than either M14 or M16
FREEBIRD

greensideout
01-21-05, 08:57 PM
NO WAY FREEBIRD!

The M-14 will reach out and touch long before the AK-47.

RLeon
01-21-05, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by FREEBIRD
SUBIC76????
But if anybody is counting votes mine would go with the AK-47, better than either M14 or M16
FREEBIRD

In an R. Lee Ermy voice "YOU GOT TO BE #$%*!@## KIDDING ME"

It's obvious by that last post that FREEBIRD must be INSANE, so I won't argue :D j/k

The M1 garand WAS the finest battle rifle ever made, until the M14 came along.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/echo4lima/USGIM14.bmp

Check this link out for some outstanding M14 pics,
http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/welcome.html

Patdaly
01-21-05, 11:38 PM
M-14 no doubt about it.

USMC-FO
01-22-05, 06:24 AM
M-14 easy pick for this old goat.

yellowwing
01-22-05, 06:45 AM
For all you M-14 Fans
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/gruntm14.jpg

jo1753
01-22-05, 07:38 AM
SUBIC76????

I spent some time in Subic, loved every minute of it........

M14 or M16 ??????????

Bootcamp with M14, best weapon I ever fired....
Overseas with M16........light weight, fast, easy to lock and load, great weapon for me also. BUT!!! I was on a air base not in the bush although we were still in the sand we never had the problems with the m16's like the 0300's did, most of the time we just carried 45's, like I said I was in the Air Wing, kind of hard to do your job with a M16 around your neck. Only time we carried M16's was on guard duty at night and perimeter defense when we had to go outside the gates.
FREEBIRD

Theirs no doubt about the ruggedness nor is the reputation of the AK in question............Any of us who had to go up against this weapon will tell you about it's tuff-ness under a wide range of conditions.....But I'd still take the M14 over any of them. Like someone else mentioned before. It was the way this weapon could reach out and touch someone and yet still be great up close. Before I went into the Marine corps I did a fair share of hunting. And I must add I wasn't an especially GOOD shot with almost anything I had in my hands. But with the M14 I shot expert three years. Without having to put a whole lot into it. I personally contribute that more to the weapon then my skills as a shooter.Most of the time I spent in country I was a door gunner and was using a totally diferent weapon. Not only was the targets moving, we usually were too...!!! What got my attention to this post was someone wrote that they were bringing back the M14............. I personally could never figure out just why they got rid of it in the first place....lolol Does anyone know if this new version is going to be exactly like the ones we used. Or is it going to be somewhat ( LIKE ) it's origional...? Semper-Fi and thanks to the one who origionated this post. Keep up the good work

montana
01-22-05, 10:58 AM
i packed an M14 in nam....Free....gooks packed AK47....thier are more of them dead then of me....14 gets my vote.never let me down....and it droped them Marine stompen water buffalow.....something the M16 wouldnt do....it just made um madder

sempers

lucien2
01-22-05, 04:33 PM
Iwas issued the M-16 in 1978, but got a chance to shoot an M-14 (match grade weapon for the Marine Corps rifle and pistol team) and I was blown away at it's accuracy and comfort!
I own several AR's and I plan to purchase M1A1 at the next gun show I attend!

RLeon
01-23-05, 08:39 PM
This is for all you guys who think that the M14 is antiquated and looks old fasion fuddy duddy rifle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/echo4lima/currentm14.bmp

yellowwing
01-23-05, 08:59 PM
"I don't want no teen-aged queen, I just want my M14"

jo1753
01-23-05, 11:26 PM
I don't know anything about it looking old fashion. But I do know i'd shoot against anything and do more then just hold my own. I know they had a reason we only shot the M16 from the 2 and 3 hundred yd. lines. But with the M14 we shot 2-3 and 5 hundred yds. The weapon did most of the work for you. If you put anything at all to snaping-in...!!! Hell i'm an old guy now.....And I still bet I could go out with that rifle snap-in and shoot expert. Semper-Fi

lucien2
01-24-05, 08:18 AM
Still in service today, what does that tell you?

Namvet67
01-24-05, 09:02 AM
When I arrived in Vietnam in August 1967, I was issued the M-14 and then around December 1967 it was replaced by the M-16. My choice....M-14 hands down.

LivinSoFree
02-03-05, 11:07 PM
SSgt Jim Nelson, Vietnam 1967... image quality reduced for attachment...

jinelson
02-03-05, 11:28 PM
Dang Brother I have always been able to count on you I owe ya big time as usual Meyer, how can I expedite a meritorious promotion to corporal?

Thanks Bro
Jim

Old Marine
02-04-05, 08:16 AM
During my active dury I carried both the M-1 and the M-14. For accuracy I will pick the M-1. For overall firepower the M-14. I believe both weapons are very good. The .45 Cal pistol on the other hand, flat sucks for accuracy. If you want to scare someone with noise it is the weapon of choice.

Old Marine
02-04-05, 08:19 AM
In Korea I carried a .45 cal. grease gun. This weapon was full auto and looked a lot like a hand held grease gun for you vehicle. There was no safety, except when the shell ejection port was closed open the port and begin firing.

Namvet67
02-04-05, 10:06 AM
Hey Jim...where was that picture taken? You sure you didn't lie about your age to get in? Gary

jinelson
02-04-05, 11:43 AM
gbudd as soon as I get the hang of posting images I will show you some really little boy Marine flicks. I got carded until I was forty years old. In that flick I was a 19 year old lance corporal.

Namvet67
02-04-05, 12:02 PM
Jim...I haven't figured out how to post images either...Were you near the 11th Marines HQ north of Danang in 1967?

jinelson
02-04-05, 12:12 PM
No not until 1968

Namvet67
02-04-05, 12:16 PM
So where did you ride out Tet 1968?

jinelson
02-04-05, 12:30 PM
I didnt get there until late August so I missed all the fun. Did some mop up convoys up to Hue while they were cleaning things up

Namvet67
02-04-05, 12:39 PM
Yea we kinda tore Hue up a little....different kind of war went on there...sorta like Iraq...house to house fighting.

jinelson
02-04-05, 12:44 PM
Bro thats an understatement it was a mess, why did we spare the citadel some kind of historical value?

Ed Fleming
02-04-05, 12:46 PM
M-1 is the best tool ever put in the hands of a Marine. I have owned two of them in civilian life and loved them almost as much as my wife !

Namvet67
02-04-05, 12:52 PM
It sure wasn't of any historical value to me.....that was the last thing on anyones mind!

Namvet67
02-04-05, 12:53 PM
I fired the M-1 in ITR....still like the 14 much better!

vfm
02-04-05, 04:10 PM
Best rifle for target shooting was the 14 in my opinion. But the 16 was much lighter for combat use and totally different theory of shooting. With the 14 you went for the bulls-eye. the 16 you went for center of mass plus you had the fully automatic capability. My overall favorite was the M-79.
Now that I'm getting older and my sight isn't what it used to be a 12gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot suits me just fine.
SEMPER FI!!!
vfm

jo1753
02-05-05, 04:08 PM
Vfm..........For the most part I think you made a good point..!!!

The main reason I didn't like the M16 was the unreliablility of the weapon...........Semper-Fi

barryjh
02-16-05, 01:12 PM
anyone tell me where to pick up a 14--been wanting one for years and don't want to pay 1700 for a copy

booksbenji
02-16-05, 08:42 PM
:marine:

M-14 (20 or 30 rd mags), 1911A1, Winchester M97( 7 shot 4 #4dbl buck, 3 slugs), 8" MARINE K-BAR, AND THE STEADY HAND ON THE TRIGGER OF A MARINE RIFLEMAN. 'NUFF SAID :marine:

SEMPER FI
BOOKS

scopekill26
02-17-05, 10:04 AM
M-14 in my book, but if you need to take out the un-see-able,

the 308 (hands down) is the best long range shooter you can purchase (or be issued) anywhere, period!

I have personally taken toothpicks off the top of a tree stump at 400+yds fired dry and wet,standing, kneeling and ground level!

Anybody that has shot one (Be A Marine) and speak up!!!

Ooohhhhhrrrraaaahhh!!:marine:

yellowwing
02-17-05, 10:44 AM
I was telling a Canadian Naval Veteran the very same thing yesterday.

For a second and a half it is a perfect universe. No mosquitos, no sweat stinging your eyes, no heat burning you up. Just you and the shot.

For a second and a half everthing is perfect when you are in the zone! :marine:

A time to kill, whether it is a terrorist or an elk. It doesn't matter in that perfect universe! Let's see if Ann Coulter or
Maureen O'Dowd can comprehend that one!

montana
02-17-05, 10:59 AM
one of my bros. in nam got himself in a fix where he had to use the but of his M16 on a gook....he said he felt just like John Wayne at that moment....then plum chicken the rest of the night with only the barrole of his M16...something i never worried about with me 14....bothe ends worked....and i pulled off some pritty god shots meself while trapesin therw the bush with my 14....she never gamed and i had gotten it so hot you couldnt touch the fiberglass gaurd over the barle

sempers

vic_deleon2003
02-17-05, 12:23 PM
i believe that the 14 was the best weapon that was issued to all marines the 16 was'nt i carried it also in nam but no one could beat the 14 ok i know that there are some of you out there prefer the old time m1 that too was a hell of a weapon too heavy for me

semper fi vic

FREEBIRD
02-18-05, 08:50 PM
Just for the hell of it since you all kind of rode my A$$ about saying the AK47 was a good weapon...............
How many of you have truthfully fired an AK47
Just think about this question, if you had to go back to Nam, and had 2 choices of weapons, 1- being a M16 piece of plastic that jammed every once in a while and wa undependable or 2- an AK 47 which would you take. I have read every post up to this one and I still would take the AK 47, the M14 was the best weapon I ever fired on the riffle range or for hunting deer here in Va. But if I'm in the bush having to tote a weapon, i dont want the thoughts of having to cary a m14 around all day, and it was a hard riffle to get off quick stots due to weight and length of weapon. Some body in a post said they liked a m-16 better than a M14 because M16 was fully automatic, Maybe my memory is fading with age but I thought the weapon I fired at Boot camp in 69 had a flip up butt plate and a selector switch that went to full auto. 36 years ago-------long time!!

RLeon
02-22-05, 07:01 PM
Alive & kickin; scoped M14 used by an Army dude in Iraq.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/echo4lima/m14arm.bmp

jo1753
02-23-05, 09:16 AM
Just for the hell of it since you all kind of rode my A$$ about saying the AK47 was a good weapon...............
How many of you have truthfully fired an AK47
Just think about this question, if you had to go back to Nam, and had 2 choices of weapons, 1- being a M16 piece of plastic that jammed every once in a while and wa undependable or 2- an AK 47 which would you take. I have read every post up to this one and I still would take the AK 47, the M14 was the best weapon I ever fired on the riffle range or for hunting deer here in Va. But if I'm in the bush having to tote a weapon, i dont want the thoughts of having to cary a m14 around all day, and it was a hard riffle to get off quick stots due to weight and length of weapon. Some body in a post said they liked a m-16 better than a M14 because M16 was fully automatic, Maybe my memory is fading with age but I thought the weapon I fired at Boot camp in 69 had a flip up butt plate and a selector switch that went to full auto. 36 years ago-------long time!!

Theirs no question in my mind.......if I had to choose between the old style m16 or the ak 47.............hands down it would be the 47.
I had alot of respect of that weapon. But I sure as heck wouldn't choose it over the M 14.........No way.. Because I wasn't trained with the Ak 47.........I knew the M-14 in side and out. Just prior for shipping out to Nam I had fired Expert with the 14 and sharp-shooter with the M-16... But just like you and alot of others. I too never liked the M-16 simply because you had to baby it all the time.

No theirs not much wrong with your memory, as far as remembering the M-14. It did come with a selector switch. That allowed the semi, and fully auto...options.
:idea: :marine: You still have your it-to-gether...LOL :banana:
Semper-Fi

mrbsox
02-23-05, 10:14 AM
Question ??

Been 'shopping' (in my mind) for something in .308. I've researched the AR10, which is the .308 version of the AR15, but it leaves alot to be desired in my mind.

For the price, I started thinking M14. My question is;

What's the difference in the M14 (A1 I'm sure in semi only) and the M1A ?? Or is the M1A just the 'civilianized' model of the 14A1 ? The bayonet lug is a (must have) factor.

Terry

jo1753
02-23-05, 11:27 AM
I'd say like someone else lightly touched on it....... It depends alot on what kind of shooting you'll find yourself into.

For example...
Why is it snipers count so much on stealth...?
We all know they can hit targets over a mile away...!!!
But stealth still plays a hugh part in the overall sucess of these expert shooters... I think we all know why..!!

Because even though they can hit the eyes out of a fly @ 1000 yds. They don't have the " fire power "...!!!

In my opinion the M-14 gave us a bit of both worlds.

besides the M-16 temperamental/ prima donna ways. It really wasn't designed to.........reach out and touch someone.

Scopekill26..... I'd like to shoot the M-14 next to the 308 using the same type scopes on both weapons/same shooter sighting in both weapons.

The reason I say this is.......... With the M-14 if I could see it, I could hit it...!!! I'm not trying to say the M-14 has the long range the 308 has, nor the spead. I really don't know the stats on the 308.
I've never seen a sniper that didn't have a scope...!!!
I know i've tipped gookes at over 500 yds open sights with the M-14...!!! Like i've mentioned b4 on other threads. The weapon did most of the work for the shooter.

Am I trying to say I'm some kind of a Carlos Halfcock type.?
No.. not at all !!!.. and i'm not trying to take anything away from our snipers and all the training,...they go thru.

But I would like to compair the two weapons side by side.....LOLOL

Semper-Fi:idea:

greensideout
02-23-05, 11:39 AM
jo1753---M14 vs the .308???

Maybe I don't understand your question.

The M14 IS a .308 cal rifle.

jo1753
02-24-05, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by greensideout
jo1753---M14 vs the .308???

Maybe I don't understand your question.

The M14 IS a .308 cal rifle.

thats me........in a hurry....I mis-understood something obviously. Sorry for the rookie type come-back...LOL It's sometimes is pretty dark in here..........with me hard up my......a$$ an all......!!!!

I was thinking of that new sniper rifle they came out with not to long age....?????????????????? Sorry

mrbsox
02-24-05, 07:27 AM
Are you talking about the .338 ?? (Lupa?)

Supposed to be a pretty hot round.

jo1753
02-24-05, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by mrbsox

I think I read an article on it.. in one of my sons mags. he gets every month. I'd have to check to be sure......

jo1753
02-24-05, 05:35 PM

You bet........... I finally found it while talking to another Marine.
mrbsox you are correct.

Sniper Rifle ( Lupua )

Full name.....CheyTac intervention systems model 200
419 grain projecttile
.408 Cal Cartridge

only 17 who are trained to shoot the weapon at this point.

It can make a tight group at 2700 meters

This was the weapon I was thinking of the other nite...when someone else mentioned 308.. For some reason.......... I was thinking it was this newer Sniper rifle. the Lupua.... I don't know why I'd think that, It's a real Itch getting old.........LOLOL

RLeon
02-24-05, 05:59 PM
Question ??

Been 'shopping' (in my mind) for something in .308. I've researched the AR10, which is the .308 version of the AR15, but it leaves alot to be desired in my mind.

For the price, I started thinking M14. My question is;

What's the difference in the M14 (A1 I'm sure in semi only) and the M1A ?? Or is the M1A just the 'civilianized' model of the 14A1 ? The bayonet lug is a (must have) factor.

Terry
Basically the M1A is Sprinfield Armory's nonautomatic civilian version of the Military M14. There are other M14 clones out there made by other companies such as Smith Enterprises, Smith, Armscorps, Federal Ordanance, Fulton Armory, and the Chinese commies Norinco and Polytech.

mrbsox
02-24-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks Cpl.

Springfield Armory if I decide to make the plunge.

yellowwing
02-24-05, 10:08 PM
I asked Expert_Rifleman (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=17304) about the price differences in the .308 and larger bores for 1,000 yard shooting.

His opinion was "the extra 2,500 bucks on the .338 Winchester 70 will get you about 7 less inchs of group size at 1,000 yards."

That's a huge difference in grouping, well worth the money if you got it to spend. 7 inches on an elk at 1,000 yards could mean the difference of dropping him or just breaking a leg.

Or worse, trying to track down a very p*ssed off grizzly that was only wounded! :eek:

greensideout
02-24-05, 10:51 PM
There is no question that the .338 Win is the choice for big game.

The .308 Win is fine for deer size game but if you are going for Elk, Bear and such the .338 does a better job.

If you want to be able to shoot game at a long distance go for the belted Mags.

If you are in combat, choose a combat weapon.

The M1 = 30-06. .308 cal and a large case. It will reach farther with the most punch.

The M14 = .308 X 56. Shorter case but more accurate. Not as much reach however.

The M16 = .223 Rem. It serves well at a short distance.

A rifle chambered for the .50 cal Browning---that covers it all.

jo1753
02-25-05, 06:22 AM
ok.................Q 4 anyone.........because obviously i've been away from shooting related topics 4 a long long time.

Just where in the pecking order of these weapons would the 300 mag fit in........I have a brother who uses one. If I remember correctly. His is a Weatherbee 300 mag. if thats how it's spelled.

Like I said guys.....i've been away from,reading,speaking to others for so long. H*ll I forgot alot. For the last 27-30 yrs all i've done is bow hunt..........any in-put will be appreciated.....Semper-Fi

yellowwing
02-25-05, 08:41 AM
Oklahoma Rifle Association
P.O. Box 850602
Yukon, OK 73085-0602
(405) 324-8498

Or Google Oklahoma gun clubs (http://www.google.com/search?q=oklahoma+gun+clubs&btnG=Search&hl=en) for up close and personal info and re-training.

jo1753
02-25-05, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Oklahoma Rifle Association
P.O. Box 850602
Yukon, OK 73085-0602
(405) 324-8498

Or Google Oklahoma gun clubs (http://www.google.com/search?q=oklahoma+gun+clubs&btnG=Search&hl=en) for up close and personal info and re-training.

yellowwing.........thanks bud for looking that up......Yukon is a bit far for me............but I will go to that link you sent. I was sorta woundering about that 300 mag question I had asked. But with what you sent i'm sure I can find it there......Again thanks...Semper-Fi