PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings

lprkn
01-19-05, 02:13 PM
Fun Question: How many Lord of the Rings nerds (or aspiring ones) are in here?

Bret
01-19-05, 02:15 PM
I like the series

lprkn
01-19-05, 02:22 PM
Please note whether you like the books or the movies, and which one you were introduced to first. I first read the books when I was 14 (7 years ago), and have read them 4 times since. I've only read The Hobbit once, and The Silmarillion twice. So there's my nerd credentials. (I like comics too)

tasslehof
01-19-05, 02:49 PM
I read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books when I was about 12. 21 years ago or so. I have reread them all since about 20 times or so in the intervening years. I have read the Silmarillion probably 4 times. I saw every one of the movies opening day and have seen the extended DVD editions at LEAST once each and own every one of them.

yellowwing
01-19-05, 03:01 PM
Silmarillion, was bit too much for me as a kid. The rest were great. When I'm done with Stephen King, perhaps I'll pick it up again.

Rumor was that Tolkien couldn't drive a car. Everytime he had tried, his mind started wandering into constructing Middle Earth and he'd crash.

True or False? Dunno', still a funny tale. :D

DeNichilo 0300
01-19-05, 08:46 PM
me, i must admit.........i love LOTR, but i am not a nerd i get many girls .

Master Sephiroth
01-19-05, 09:35 PM
LOTR nerd here. Books and movies. Haven't read the other Tolkien books though.

cjdoyle
01-19-05, 10:14 PM
Im about the same as tasslehof except it was only 12 years ago when i was 12.... I guess im still a boot...LOL
SgtD

Amanda
01-19-05, 10:24 PM
Haha... funny how many poolees talk about "getting girls" But when they come back from boot, they don't seem to talk about all the women they "get with." : ) Just an observation. Kinda funny.

Anyways on the Lord of the Rings topic... I love the movies, i am sad that they are all done being made. But i never read the books, and i certainly don't know all the characters names and orgins... (chuckle) I met this one guy who loved it so much he studied the books and was trying to learn elvish. Crazy!! : )

KlingonOpera
01-19-05, 10:59 PM
There's a really good article in this week's Chicago Reader about Tolkien's experience in WWI and its effect on his portrayal of the War of the Ring in LOTR. Unfortunately they don't have it online. But yeah I've read em a bunch of times, a nerd if you couldn't tell already

Master Sephiroth
01-20-05, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Amanda
Haha... funny how many poolees talk about "getting girls" But when they come back from boot, they don't seem to talk about all the women they "get with." : ) Just an observation. Kinda funny.

Anyways on the Lord of the Rings topic... I love the movies, i am sad that they are all done being made. But i never read the books, and i certainly don't know all the characters names and orgins... (chuckle) I met this one guy who loved it so much he studied the books and was trying to learn elvish. Crazy!! : )

Hey, consider yourself lucky that I'm not a true Tolkien nerd. They can get really nasty. LOTR is one book. Don't ever let a true Tolkien nerd catch you saying anything on the contrary or you'll receive a tongue lashing that would put GySgt. Hartman himself to shame. I've had my share of those tongue lashings.

HardJedi
01-21-05, 11:18 AM
Lord. How did I miss THIS thread? LOL

Yes, I have read all the books, seen all the movies, I even own the encyclopedia of middle earth. ( as well as several action figures and statues from the series)

I got ALOT more Star Wars stuff though.

and by the way? being a "nerd" about something like this, has NO direct corelation between how you look and act, and how many "girls" you get. good LORD why do kids feel the need to brag about stuff like that?

BHABIT
01-21-05, 11:34 AM
Jedi...

I think this was a carry over from either a pooley post or from boaz***, the question came up about the meaning of

"Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!"

in his post... I told him to take it elsewhere.

Master Sephiroth
01-21-05, 11:43 AM
Firstly, Sir, it was in my signature not my post. If it bothers you so much, I'll change it.

Secondly, not to be rude, but don't you think you're making too big a deal about something as insignificant as this?

lprkn
01-21-05, 02:21 PM
Lord of the Rings insignificant? Never! Return to the shadows from whence you came, beast of the abyss! You shall not pass.

P.S. To all those who are humor-challenged, please don't take me seriously.

Amanda
01-21-05, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BoazNaiman

Hey, consider yourself lucky that I'm not a true Tolkien nerd. They can get really nasty. LOTR is one book. Don't ever let a true Tolkien nerd catch you saying anything on the contrary or you'll receive a tongue lashing that would put GySgt. Hartman himself to shame. I've had my share of those tongue lashings.

haha...lol... i will remember that!

grayshade
01-21-05, 02:39 PM
I don't know if anyone said or not, but director Peter Jackson is making the movie "The Hobbit". Based of course on the book Tolkien wrote prior to the Rings trilogy. He'll start filming soon after his "King Kong" remake. Just thought to enlighten those that 'didn't know'. Semper Fi.

Pel
01-21-05, 07:02 PM
read the three books once and have seen the movies some of them a few times... the ending of the third one had over 20 places where the movie could have ended...