PDA

View Full Version : Military aid

perfectcircle
01-19-05, 12:47 PM
I've been pretty frusterated with my school lately, prior to the recent disaster in asia we really haven't had any fund raisers for "outside sources." Mainly the money we earned went to school funding. Whenever I brought up the idea of a fundraiser for the Military, it was turned down because "they have enough money."

Now they have this Tsunami victims aid fundraiser, they follow people around with buckets collecting change, dollars etc. Almost every student I can see gave some money, and most continue to donate spare change everyday during lunch.

First off, what originally frusterated me with this, is the Dean came on the intercom yesterday morning complaining we aren't giving enough money, and shes disapointed to see so many pennies in the jars because it's "not going to cut it so don't bother putting them in" How unappreciative is that?

So that led me to remember they wouldn't even hold a fund raiser for the troops. I still ask about it and they say they're only doing this because this is a severe tragedy where 155,000 people died not some, "Stupid war."

My school has a large portion of the Junior and Senior class enlisted or already enlisted in the U.S. Military. I can't believe they don't even think about donating spare change to the Military.

Today me and a buddy of mine (also a Marine Corps Poole) spoke to numerous students and teachers about it. Including a National Guardsmen who was at the school. The students think it would be a great idea now (for some freaking reason they didn't think so before...maybe because they realize their friends are enlisting now.) But the National Guardsmen kept straying away from answering. He'd come up with some long proffesional sounding speech and i'd lose track of what was going on.

Am I wrong for being so frusterated? Should I just shut my mouth and do my time in the Corps? Or should I feel this way, and should I pursue it, and maybe get a fund raiser going on my own at my school and other schools in the Region?

Any arguments I can use to start one, or to make me think it's not important/a good idea will be politely considered this time :p

Namvet67
01-19-05, 01:11 PM
My opinion...I think there are plenty of places to donate your money to (already in place). You need to focus on your studies and get ready to go serve your country. Can't let natural disasters and such get you down. Worry about those things you can control and not about those things you can't control. Look around..there's more than you can handle right in front of you.

CAR
01-19-05, 04:11 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better, that sort of stuff frustrates me too, but gbudd has a point, you have a lot to look forward to and prepare for. I would suggest this, Write your thoughts down. Then write a sincere and well thought out letter to the dean expressing your frustration over the lack of support for troops in harms way. The deans lack of tact for those of his/her own students who are about to embark on a military career. If the words "stupid war" were used in the context you put them in than I would bring that up too. Schools need to stay out of the politics game. Then leave it at that. Sure it was a horrible disaster but you don't raise the status of one by degrading the other.

Express your rights, after all, when you become a Marine..... that's what you'll be fighting for.

law_student
01-19-05, 06:00 PM
The most important thing is to take action for what you believe in. You don't NEED the school for a fundraiser. Marines are leaders, so take charge, that's what you'll be trained to do in the Corps....

perfectcircle
01-19-05, 06:03 PM
I don't want nor care if I get support from the school. If i'm going to do this, I want support from you guys. Last time I came up with an idea and wanted to do it without that, it didn't work out too well at first haha.