PDA

View Full Version : Physical Prep

dcuttell
01-19-05, 08:04 AM
I trying to increase my pull-ups before arriving for training. I have seen pull-up pyramids and other programs...wondering if anyone else has any tips. Thank you in advance Marines.

TRLewis
01-19-05, 09:51 AM
Depends do you goto a gym? They have a machine that takes some of the weight off of you so you can lift longer.

My advice is to remember this, muscles move because of oxygen, oxygen is carried by the bloodstream, your arms are not like your legs there are no valves to help push blood up them, so knock them out fast, the faster the better, just keep the correct form. When I did them fast I could do 18-20, when I went slow I could only do about 12.

Just another tip for poolees, go get a job at UPS or FedEX throwing boxes, it will get you in shape.

DuckSauce
01-19-05, 10:05 AM
I really like lateral pull-downs myself, next come actual pull ups.

I can do about 10 pull-ups right now, ship in a little over 4 months.

TRLewis
01-19-05, 03:26 PM
Dont forget to practice your pull ups every chance you get WHILE in boot. I actually got weaker in boot camp. I could climb the rope using only my arms when I first got there, but the crucible I had to use my legs.

Namvet67
01-19-05, 03:37 PM
Poolee Welbaum....I can still do over 15 pull ups today. Don't cheat do the real Marine pull up...up slow and down slow...in control at all times...then do it again with power and mind control. Do both over hand and under hand...never get in a hurry. I think we had to do 16 to max when I was in...I maxed all the tests. You can too. Semper Fi fyi..the DIs like the recruits that do good at PT (something about points they get)...can't say for sure but I'm sure drillinstructor can. Semper Fi

yellowwing
01-19-05, 03:47 PM
The swimming pool! You got to swim-qual anyway. The breast stroke, (as in the swim technique), is great for pull-ups.

law_student
01-19-05, 05:46 PM
Attach some weight. I've got a scuba diving belt with about 14 pounds on it that I use for pullups. Or, you can get a rope and a plate (5, 10, 25 lbs, etc) and tie it around your waist to add some resistance.

Gbudd is right, always use a controlled motion, don't cheat yourself. Also, my old First Sergeant used to countdown backwards when he did his pullups. Instead of counting 1,2,3,4...etc., he started with the max and went down 20,19,18,17...It was a psychological thing he liked to do.
Semper Fi

MelloYello
01-20-05, 06:49 PM
Yeah there are many ways to do this. I do 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1. It works pretty well. For push ups I do 30,25,20,15,10,5, then max out. For crunches, I start 25,50,75,100,75,50,25.

Its a very good workout for me. All I need help on is running. I am now doing 2 to 3 miles with weights in the morning. After my walk I do 20 50 yard sprints...and after school I run a mile or 2.

lucien2
01-20-05, 07:39 PM
Don't sweat it too much, you will max out or be close after you finish boot anyway. I could only do 4-5 and could max out by the end of training. You should be spending time with girls before you ship!

yellowwing
01-20-05, 10:24 PM
Burgess Meridith in Rocky I, "Women make weak legs!" yuk-yuk!

dcuttell
01-21-05, 01:16 PM
Mello? Crunches? NOT FULL sit-ups. I am doing full sit-ups arms crossed in front of me. Don't tell me that you do crunches at boot?

Kegler300
01-21-05, 01:40 PM
I personally prefer 20 oz curls...http://www.thesquadbay.com/forum2/Smileys/default/icon_alcoholic.gif

Sgtj
01-21-05, 01:45 PM
Wake up in the morning: Drop down to the deck and do a max set of push ups (MAX SET): Go brush your fangs (2:00 minute brake). Do another Max set, then take another 2:00 minutes to do whatever you need. Then do a third and final MAX SET of pushups. Then hit the head for shower and clean up.

By doing these pushups everyday Monday through Friday you will increase your total upperbody strength and minimize break down.
MAKE SURE TO REST TWO DAYS A WEEK. IE Sat and Sun.

Incorporate pull ups into your schedule, but it's important to rotate how you do them, but make sure you are always doing them how you will do them for your PFT. In other words get your A$$ out there on the bar.

Try this:

Monday: 5 Max sets
Tuesday: Pyrimids start with one... then two so on until you can complete the pyrimid then rest and do max set
Wed: Develop a training set, the training set is around the number where you max on the pyrimid IE say you couldn't complete your 5th pyrimid then your training set is probably 5.
Thursday : Choose whatever excersize from above that was most difficult for you
Friday: 3 Max Sets wide grip palms outboard, 3 Max sets close grip palms inboard, 1 Max set Close grip palms outboard.

Don't cheat yourself, do them right, as others have said, you don't need to be concerned with numbers as of yet just get on the bar.

Ooh rah.

Sgt J

enviro
01-21-05, 03:07 PM
Yes you do crunches at bootcamp. You do crunches your entire career as a Marine. Doing them right is so much harder than regular situps. Situps do a lot of back damage. You'll get enough back damage in the Corps without adding to it.

MelloYello
01-21-05, 03:55 PM
Crunches hurt more than sit up. Especially if you do double crunches. Ahhh my stomach is cramping up thinking about it!

Koble_USMC
01-21-05, 03:57 PM
The only way to get better at pullups is to do them everyday. If you do not have daily access to a pullup bar, you can buy a doorway bar for right around $10. It is very important just as SGTJ said to do them correctly. Being able to do 10 good, dead hang pullups is better than 20 cheaters. Focus your attention on your pullups and crunches first, they are the easiest way to accumulate points on your PFT. Just make sure you are able to pass the run. If you want running pointers, just ask too, I am sure there are PFT studs in here. Hope this helps!!!

Semper Fi and stay motivated,

LT

TRLewis
01-21-05, 07:54 PM
I did more crunches in boot camp than I have since I left PI.

Onto the running, poolees just about every one of you has ran into someone with knee problems. One of the best ways to prevent is by riding a bike(not a motorcycle), and swimming.

Just to give you an idea of what I do on a weekly basis:

Monday: weight training(WT) arms and chest, then i run 3 miles is a warm up
Tuesday: WT legs, swimming laps
Wednesday: WT arms and shoulders, swimming laps
Thursday: WT legs, swimming laps
Friday: running
Saturday: tennis or raqeutball

Now there are somethings I can get away with doing everyday, such as lower back, and abs. As long as you arent sore.

Also I do a spinning class about everyday, even when I run. I joined a Y to get back into shape from my car wreck, been doing it for 3 weeks and already showing some good improvements. You may need to get a work out buddy so you can push each other.